PDA

View Full Version : Al's team needs this win, baby

teedubya
09-15-2005, 09:57 AM
FUGG YOU, AL. :-)

ALAMEDA — Al's team is in desperate need of a win Sunday evening.

Week 2 at home. At night. Coming off a difficult road loss. Against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Ring a bell?

It's happened in that order only twice. The first time, in 1974, the Raiders lost their opener to the Buffalo Bills 21-20, came home to thrash the Chiefs 27-7, and went on to a 12-2 season.

The other came after a 24-21 overtime loss in Tennessee. It was 1997, a Monday night game at home, a 27-13 lead in third quarter ... Grbac to Rison ... Joe Bugel closes the locker room, too stunned to face a 28-27 loss ... no need to recount the details.

The Raiders had a roster stocked full of big names and former first-round draft picks. They finished 4-12, and Bugel was one and done.Here we are again.

Owner Al Davis promised at the August retirement ceremony for Rich Gannon "to get this thing fixed." The Raiders started the season with a 30-20 loss to the two-time defending champion New England Patriots and did some good things, but didn't exactly cover themselves in glory with 16 penalties for 149 yards.

The 1997 loss to Kansas City began the process that started Davis on the way to making two decisions that have resulted in the only sustained success for his team since he decided to return to Oakland in 1995.

In 1998 he hired a 34-year-old head coach in Jon Gruden.

In 1999, he signed Gannon, a first lieutenant to carry out Gruden's orders.

Neither man practiced or preached the kind of football Davis prefers. But as Davis has said, "I'd rather be right than consistent."

The Raiders won three consecutive division titles from 2000 through 2002 and reached two AFC Championship Games, winning one. The AFC title came under Bill Callahan, who maintained and modified the Gruden system but couldn't conquer the creator in Super Bowl XXXVII.

The Gruden-Gannon collaboration is the only thing separating the Raiders from the Cardinals and Saints in the last 10 years as NFL also-rans.

After Callahan went two-and-out and on to bigger money and more power at Nebraska, Davis remade the Raiders in his own image.

Hired Norv Turner, a coach who runs a form of the Sid Gillman offense Davis started with as an assistant in the days of the Los Angeles and San Diego Chargers.

Brought in Kerry Collins, a strong-armed pocket passer in the Daryle Lamonica-Jim Plunkett mold, to succeed Gannon. Traded for the NFL's premiere deep threat in Randy Moss. Signed a power running back in LaMont Jordan.

No more dink and dunk. The Raiders were going vertical again.

On defense, the area in which New England coach Bill Belichick said "Coach Davis" exerts the most influence, Davis last season brought in aging but big-named tackles Warren Sapp and Ted Washington. Signed Derrick Burgess in the off-season to rush the passer. Drafted speedy corners who looked great in workouts and coming off the bus but have yet to prove their coverage skills.

The Raiders would stop the run, cover, and the quarterback would go down hard.

Cue "The Autumn Wind."

The Raiders have long been Al's team, but this is truly "Al's Team."

When Davis, 76, went to the field at Gillette Stadium before kickoff, the cameras clicked and the film rolled. While it's a jarring sight to see Davis using a walker to get around, he remains the center of attention and the last of his kind — the coach who became an owner.

He remains as defiant as ever, with the ability to steamroll subordinates through sheer force of personality as well as engage in humanitarian acts of kindness, all in total secrecy.

If the Raiders don't beat the Chiefs, or at least demonstrate the potential of a contender in the process of losing, another embarrassing string of blackouts could follow.

If the Raiders are done in by a revitalized Kansas City defense, it means Raiders antagonists Carl Peterson and Gunther Cunningham rebuilt a porous defense quicker and better than Davis did.

If the Raiders fall to 0-2, you wonder if things will be much worse than their record. Davis, widely regarded as a player's owner, said when he fired Callahan he didn't want a disciplinarian.

That being the case, who takes charge if the pirate ship goes off course? A former player and an ex-assistant coach described difficult plane flights home the past two seasons after road losses in which coaches are being berated in front of players who are tacitly receiving the message that it isn't their fault.

Davis is trying. He spent big money on free agents despite the NFL's smallest profit margin, according to Forbes Magazine.

Yet in its opener, Oakland remained a faint copy of its glorious past, a team that hasn't won a Super Bowl in 21 years and has skeptics wondering if it might be 21 more.

Optimists will cite the quality of the opponent and believe better days lie ahead.

If "Al's Team" is going to turn it around, Sunday night is a good time to start.

NFL Editor Jerry McDonald can be reached by

e-mail at jmcdonald@angnewspapers.com.

Bowser
09-15-2005, 10:04 AM
"The Gruden-Gannon collaboration is the only thing seperating the Raiders from the Cardinals and Saints in the last 10 years as NFL also-rans."

The truth stings like a bitch, dontit?

Rain Man
09-15-2005, 10:08 AM
I really, really want to win this game.

Bowser
09-15-2005, 10:11 AM

Curious.....what win do you get more satisfaction out of? Broncos or Raiderz?

(This should probably be a poll)

Amnorix
09-15-2005, 10:18 AM
The Raiders aren't going anywhere this year. They don't have the OLine or defense for it.

The Chiefs look like a real threat. With a ridiculous offense, any kind of decent defense turns them into a serious AFC Contender threatening the reign of my Patriots.

But I can't do it...

GO CHIEFS!!!

Nzoner
09-15-2005, 10:26 AM

I'm with you all the way,the Raiders' games have always been the ones I want the most,and this one I'm hoping to see a good old fashioned ass whooping,with Gun getting to show off his new toys to a National audience.

Rain Man
09-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Curious.....what win do you get more satisfaction out of? Broncos or Raiderz?

(This should probably be a poll)

For decades, it was the Rai ders, hands down. However, since the Broncos rose from mediocrity due to cheating on the salary cap, and also possibly because I live in Denver and have to endure the Elway cult, it's currently the Bron cos.

However, having said that, I should note that it's like the difference between winning $1 million in stock or $1 million in bonds. Any difference in my elation is so minor that it's barely measurable.

htismaqe
09-15-2005, 10:29 AM
I tend to hate most the rival that poses the most threat. This year, that is San Diego.

I hate Oakland and Denver, but not with the same passion that I currently hate San Diego.

RedThat
09-15-2005, 10:33 AM
I tend to hate most the rival that poses the most threat. This year, that is San Diego.

I hate Oakland and Denver, but not with the same passion that I currently hate San Diego.

I hate em all. I say **** em all!

CoMoChief
09-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Moss will get his receptions and a TD or 2 even.

Jordan wont get over 75 yards rushing

Collins will throw for a couple TD's but then also throw a few INT's.

The OAK Oline will fold under the constant pressure and blitzing of the Chiefs defense, causing Collins to get out of rythm and make some mistakes

OAK's Dline will get pushed around all day by our line, regardless if we have Roaf or not.

We run it up their ass all night long. Priest and LJ both get a couple TD's and get 100 yards each. (LJ will also have a montsterous avg yrds per carry). Priest will get his 100 yards on 10-15 runs. I'm prediciting LJ to have a 50+yd run.

We pass it on them all night long. TonyG has a big night with 100 yards and a couple scores.

All that being said, we will win somewhere around the score of 40something to 14-17

teedubya
09-15-2005, 10:45 AM
I had to post this article because it said Raiders so much... that article looks like a steaming pile of shit, doesn't it. heh.

htismaqe
09-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Moss will get his receptions and a TD or 2 even.

Jordan wont get over 75 yards rushing

Collins will throw for a couple TD's but then also throw a few INT's.

The OAK Oline will fold under the constant pressure and blitzing of the Chiefs defense, causing Collins to get out of rythm and make some mistakes

OAK's Dline will get pushed around all day by our line, regardless if we have Roaf or not.

We run it up their ass all night long. Priest and LJ both get a couple TD's and get 100 yards each. (LJ will also have a montsterous avg yrds per carry). Priest will get his 100 yards on 10-15 runs. I'm prediciting LJ to have a 50+yd run.

We pass it on them all night long. TonyG has a big night with 100 yards and a couple scores.

All that being said, we will win somewhere around the score of 40something to 14-17

I'd love to see it, but I just don't see this game being decided by more than 10 points.

KCTitus
09-15-2005, 10:53 AM
I'd love to see it, but I just don't see this game being decided by more than 10 points.

3 points or less...

Rausch
09-15-2005, 11:02 AM

The same was said last week.

The Jets have a good defense, Martin will allow them to control the clock, new defense needs to get, etc.

Bullspit.

LJ 0WNEZ Oakland. Check his numbers against that defense.

Oakland can't pick up the blitz or pass block consistently. Our problem will come from solid pass blocking teams that can get the ball out to our suck-butt fill in players until week 5.

Teams with no pass blocking and a statue at QB won't be a problem, it'll be teams like the Chargers, Broncos, and Eagles...

Rain Man
09-15-2005, 11:11 AM

For right now, it's hard for me to hate San Diego. It's like seeing an Indian manure worker win the Lotto. Sure, I'd rather win it, but it's not enraging to see someone win who really, really needs it.

Now, if they keep winning it'll become a different story. Back in the 80s, when they were temporarily good with Kellen Winslow and Wes Chandler and stuff, I hated them.

Chief Faithful
09-15-2005, 11:12 AM
With the Raiders I enjoy the close hard fought contests where Chiefs win in a dramatic fashion near the end. When the Chiefs play the Donkeys I like to see the Donkey's get embarrassed much like the last time the teams met.

htismaqe
09-15-2005, 11:24 AM
The same was said last week.

The Jets have a good defense, Martin will allow them to control the clock, new defense needs to get, etc.

Bullspit.

LJ 0WNEZ Oakland. Check his numbers against that defense.

Oakland can't pick up the blitz or pass block consistently. Our problem will come from solid pass blocking teams that can get the ball out to our suck-butt fill in players until week 5.

Teams with no pass blocking and a statue at QB won't be a problem, it'll be teams like the Chargers, Broncos, and Eagles...

The Jets aren't the Raiders...we have a "history" with the Raiders, particularly on their turf. If the point spread is more than 10 points, I'll be shocked.

Rausch
09-15-2005, 11:33 AM
The Jets aren't the Raiders...we have a "history" with the Raiders, particularly on their turf. If the point spread is more than 10 points, I'll be shocked.

I like our chances.

They did better against Dillon, so their rush defense might be better.

They still couldn't run the ball and they still couldn't pass protect. A one dimensional offense is not an offense that can sustain drives.

If we hold Jordan to under 80 yards rushing we win this game. That simple...

Raiderhater
09-15-2005, 11:46 AM

I tend to agree. Blow outs in this series are rare. I can see how it could happen this game, but I do not really expect it. It'll be a dog fight as usual. And really, that's how Chiefs-Raiders games are supposed to be.

htismaqe
09-15-2005, 12:19 PM
I like our chances.

They still couldn't run the ball and they still couldn't pass protect. A one dimensional offense is not an offense that can sustain drives.

I could see us holding Jordan under 50 yards, but 75 yards is probably closer to reality.

I just don't see the game being lopsided...31-21 is my guess.

Chief Faithful
09-15-2005, 12:27 PM
I could see us holding Jordan under 50 yards, but 75 yards is probably closer to reality.

I just don't see the game being lopsided...31-21 is my guess.

I believe if the Chiefs come out hitting on all cylinders then there is a good chance for a blow-out, but I don't see that happening this weekend. I'm predicting Chiefs 34 - 27.

Considering Tynes recent inconsistancy make that 31 to 27.

Hydrae
09-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Drafted speedy corners who looked great in workouts and coming off the bus but have yet to prove their coverage skills.

:LOL:

Raiderhater
09-15-2005, 12:30 PM
I believe if the Chiefs come out hitting on all cylinders then there is a good chance for a blow-out, but I don't see that happening this weekend. I'm predicting Chiefs 34 - 27.

Considering Tynes recent inconsistancy make that 31 to 27.

"Recent" inconsistancy?

RINGLEADER
09-15-2005, 12:46 PM
Chiefs have a great opportunity to stick a dagger into the hearts of the Raiders. Combined with the Chargers/Broncos game we could see two AFC West teams sitting there on Monday with 0-2 records and a loss against a division opponent.

And if the Chiefs do beat the Raiders I'm going to be very disappointed if we also don't win at least one of the next two games.

And 3-1 at the first quarter mark (while the Raiders, Broncos, and Chargers are sitting at 1-3) would be sweet.

Wallcrawler
09-15-2005, 05:48 PM
I like our chances.

Maybe so, but remember that they dropped 8 men into coverage more than once, and receivers were still getting wide open. Someone for the Chiefs offense is going to have a huge day. Either Holmes and Johnson will destroy them, or Trent Green will throw for 300+. The Raiders defense cant stop both.

It will happen. The Raiders line isnt that good, and for as high as he was taken, Robert Gallery has yet to impress me. As for the rest of them, they cant block the blitz consistently, and they incur way too many penalties that get big plays for first downs called back.

Gun will be after Collins in this one. Those deep routes by Moss and co. arent going to do any good when Collins is on his back before they can get 10 yards downfield.

mlyonsd
09-15-2005, 06:15 PM
My hope is the Chiefs go up 28-0 and Davis craps his Depends just before halftime.

Iowanian
09-15-2005, 06:42 PM
I hope the Chiefs destroy those fuggers so bad that the Entire City is enveloped in a riot.

Nzoner
09-15-2005, 06:43 PM
I tend to agree. Blow outs in this series are rare. I can see how it could happen this game, but I do not really expect it. It'll be a dog fight as usual. And really, that's how Chiefs-Raiders games are supposed to be.

I picked 41-17 in the prediction thread as I'm hoping Vermeil,now with some decent defense will revert back to 1999 and put his foot on opponents throats and not let up.

This is my dream,please do not wake me.

Raiderhater
09-15-2005, 06:48 PM
I picked 41-17 in the prediction thread as I'm hoping Vermeil,now with some decent defense will revert back to 1999 and put his foot on opponents throats and not let up.

This is my dream,please do not wake me.

I can see that happening, I'm just not going to hold my breath.

Skip Towne
09-15-2005, 06:58 PM

Didn't you say the Bolts wouldn't win 8 games this year about a month ago? How can you hate a sub .500 team?

bringbackmarty
09-15-2005, 07:49 PM
I pick kerry collins for teh dogleg acl\mcl, with a 50% chance of a compound fracture in the RAIDERS RECIEVING CORPS.

Eleazar
09-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Crush them, see them driven from before us, and hear the lamentation of their women.

OldTownChief
09-15-2005, 07:59 PM
I hope the Chiefs destroy those fuggers so bad that the Entire City is enveloped in a riot.

ROFL