PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock Page 2 on ESPN : Shanahan is washed up

Hammock Parties
09-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Psst...top secret NFL facts
By Jason Whitlock
Special to Page 2

Surely one of the toughest assignments in sports is making sense of the first weekend of the NFL season. There are those among us who will simply swear that it cannot be done. And then there are those who know better -- the select group of men and women exposed to my writings.

Not to brag, but I have quite a reputation for diagnosing NFL madness. Given a weekend to overlook results and second-guess excuses, it becomes rather easy for me to figure out whom and what to believe from Week 1.

Clayton, Salisbury, Mortensen and Jaworski pay handsomely for the information and predictions that I'm about to share for free with you, Page 2 readers. Why are you getting such a bargain? I'm tired of underground success. I'm tired of Clayton and Co. getting the glory for my expertise and refusing to share the spoils.

Week 1 of the season, as it is apt to do, created far more questions than it provided answers for the average football fan. Readers of this column recognize that I'm not the average football fan. As a former elite-level athlete, a man in his youth who protected Jeff George's blind side in high school and opened gaping holes for Bernie Parmalee in college, I have keen insight into America's game.

OK, enough with the hype. Here are 10 facts that can be gleaned from Week 1:

10. Kansas City's defense is closer to being fixed than Indianapolis' defense.

Listen, I love the addition of Corey Simon to the middle of Indy's D. Simon, who looked like he swallowed Jerry Ball, is exactly what Tony Dungy's unit needed: a human bowling ball to plug running lanes.

But Indy's near shutout of the Baltimore Ravens has more to do with Brian Billick's continued offensive ineptness than the Colts' unveiling a defense capable of winning in January. Billick might be the worst offensive coach in the history of the NFL. Billick is the man who decided Kyle Boller was a franchise quarterback. If not for Marvin Lewis and Ray Lewis' carrying the Ravens to a Super Bowl title, Billick would be in the unemployment line.

Meanwhile, Kansas City's rebuilt defense showed off its added speed (linebackers Derrick Johnson and Kendrell Bell and corner Patrick Surtain) and a new look (12-15 snaps in a 3-4 scheme) in demolishing the Jets.

9. The Eagles lost to the Falcons because Donovan McNabb refused to run the football.

You can blame McNabb's unwillingness to run on his bruised chest. I don't. McNabb has spent the past two years trying to prove he's a pocket passer, not a mad scrambler. It's a mistake. The evidence of McNabb's error was all over Philly's Monday night loss to the Falcons, who scored 14 points because Michael Vick was effective on several designed running plays.

McNabb threw the ball 45 times. He was credited with one rush, which really wasn't a run. McNabb can run the football damn near as well as Vick; McNabb was the second coming of Steve Young. Had McNabb run the football three or four times, the Eagles wouldn't have settled for two 49-yard field-goal attempts, which David Akers missed. Had McNabb run, the Eagles would've scored at least 17 points, and they'd be 1-0.

If McNabb doesn't use his legs this season, the Eagles won't be playing in a fifth straight NFC Championship Game.

8. Warren Sapp, my favorite NFL player, is officially washed up.

The Oakland Raiders switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 so Sapp could go back inside, where he's most effective. The move didn't help Sapp at all in the season opener against the Patriots. Sapp is 25 pounds overweight and has none of the quickness that once made him as dominant as Joe Greene.

Sapp can now be easily blocked one on one. He's not a threat against the run or the pass.

7. Everyone -- including yours truly -- who suggested the Minnesota Vikings and Daunte Culpepper would be improved by the subtraction of Randy Moss should be beaten.

I feel so stupid. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers do not beat the Vikings if Randy Moss is still wearing purple.

6. The feel-good New Orleans Saints will fade quickly because Aaron Brooks is the most fraudulent QB in the NFL.

Saints fans better enjoy the Week 1 miracle because Brooks will continue to get in the way of the Saints' enjoying consistent success. The Saints have the necessary personnel to field a potent offense -- a decent line, top-flight receivers and a big-play running back.

However, Brooks is the anti-Tom Brady. Brooks makes stupid decisions, has zero leadership ability and isn't particularly tough or poised in the pocket.

5. Miami's Nick Saban may prove to be the best coach in the history of the NFL, but beating the Broncos in his opener didn't say anything about him.

That Denver disaster was all about Mike Shanahan. I take that back. That Denver disaster was all about John Elway. I've long contended that Elway is/was the greatest player to ever play the game. Watching Shanahan unravel as a "mastermind" without Elway further proves my point.

Shanahan simply can't coach without Elway. Shanahan's ego isn't out of control. He hasn't changed from his Elway days; he's just the same coach Al Davis fired in Oakland.

4. Kurt Warner stole two league MVP trophies from Marshall Faulk.

I'm not saying Warner wasn't an outstanding player with those great Rams teams. He was. But he was never as important to the Rams as Faulk. I've enjoyed watching Warner disintegrate with the Giants and now the Cardinals.

I'm a huge Dennis Green fan. But I can't figure out why he'd make Warner his starting quarterback. Warner is just too immobile and too erratic after contact to play behind an average offensive line.

3. Speaking of immobile quarterbacks, I don't expect to see Drew Bledsoe leading the Cowboys to a playoff run.

The Cowboys upset the Chargers solely because Marty Schottenheimer forgot to get the football to the game's best running back, LaDainian Tomlinson. L.T. touched the ball twice in the final 10 minutes of Dallas' upset victory.

The Cowboys win six or seven games this season, max.

2. I know this is a column about the NFL, but I have to sneak in one take about college football: Charlie Weis deserves significant praise for Notre Dame's impressive 2-0 start.

Weis' best move at Notre Dame so far was bringing back former Lou Holtz assistant Rick Minter as defensive coordinator.

After leaving Holtz's Notre Dame staff, Minter was head coach at Cincinnati for a decade and then rejoined Holtz at South Carolina after the Cincy athletic director canned Minter for making Bearcats fans believe Cincy could be a top-20 program.

Minter is an awesome football coach, the best defensive mind in college football. If Notre Dame continues to shine this season, some wise athletic director at a BCS school would be wise to hire Minter.

1. Tom Brady is still a better quarterback than Peyton Manning.

Period.

Hammock Parties
09-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Cool pic of DJ:

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/pg2/2005/0915/photo/g_johnson_275.jpg

Hammock Parties
09-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Readers of this column recognize that I'm not the average football fan. As a former elite-level athlete, a man in his youth who protected Jeff George's blind side in high school and opened gaping holes for Bernie Parmalee in college, I have keen insight into America's game.

ROFL

Katipan
09-15-2005, 01:07 PM
ok fatty. I'll toss you a hot dog for this one

jspchief
09-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Pretty good article. I agree with all except maybe #1.

A few more weeks of these types of articles, and every football fan on the planet will hate him.

jspchief
09-15-2005, 01:13 PM
ok fatty. I'll toss you a hot dog for this one ROFLROFL

Whitlock writes an entire article trying to be funny, and Mer comes along and knocks it out of the park with one sentence.

Goapics1
09-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Shanahan is washed up? He never got started as Whitlock points out with his days with the Raiders.

Eleazar
09-15-2005, 01:18 PM
Shanahan is washed up? He never got started as Whitlock points out with his days with the Raiders.

If TD hadn't come along at the right time, no one would know Shanarat's name.

Warrior5
09-15-2005, 01:18 PM
ROFL

Whitlock knows football.

Chief Henry
09-15-2005, 01:27 PM
Whitlock does not make alot of friends in this league.

Hammock Parties
09-15-2005, 01:37 PM

That's what makes Whitlock a great columnist. He's not interested in making friends. Joe Posnanski could learn a few things about that. ROFL

ROYC75
09-15-2005, 01:52 PM
Go ahead Jason, piss off Warren Sapp right before we play them. :rolleyes: ROFL

Wallcrawler
09-15-2005, 01:53 PM
1. Tom Brady is still a better quarterback than Peyton Manning.

Period.

Heh.

:rolleyes:

WisChief
09-15-2005, 02:00 PM
ok fatty. I'll toss you a hot dog for this one

Wow! I haven't laughed out loud at CP in a long time. THAT is classic!
Rep!

ROFL :clap:

Rain Man
09-15-2005, 02:02 PM
If TD hadn't come along at the right time, no one would know Shanarat's name.

I was about to say the same thing. I would add to it right after 'TD', though, "and an unnamed staffer who delivered the under-the-table salary cap money to John Elway".

Hydrae
09-15-2005, 02:20 PM
The one that I would disagree with the most is #3. I agree that Bledsoe is completely immobile in his old age but Dallas is going to seriously contend for that division. Decent to good defense and on the offensive side, decent o-line, J Jones in the backfield, Key Johnson and Terry Glenn at WR and Witten at TE. There are some serious weapons there. More than Bledsoe ever had in Buffalo or even in NE.

TEX
09-15-2005, 02:37 PM
The one that I would disagree with the most is #3. I agree that Bledsoe is completely immobile in his old age but Dallas is going to seriously contend for that division. Decent to good defense and on the offensive side, decent o-line, J Jones in the backfield, Key Johnson and Terry Glenn at WR and Witten at TE. There are some serious weapons there. More than Bledsoe ever had in Buffalo or even in NE.

Exactly. They're certainly a Playoff team in the NFC.

Eleazar
09-15-2005, 02:38 PM

Bledsoe had Henry/McGahee, Eric Moulds, Lee Evans, and Campbell a decent TE when he was in Buffalo. If he sucked there why is he going to be good in Dallas with lesser WR's in Johnson and Glenn?

I keep hearing about Dallas contending but it sounds like Parcells hype to me.

TEX
09-15-2005, 02:39 PM
I was about to say the same thing. I would add to it right after 'TD', though, "and an unnamed staffer who delivered the under-the-table salary cap money to John Elway".

But...but...but...Bowlen didn't get any advantage from doing things that way. At least that's what their fans say, even those on this board. ROFL He just did it for no reason I guess... :hmmm:

TEX
09-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Bledsoe had Henry/McGahee, Eric Moulds, Lee Evans, and Campbell a decent TE when he was in Buffalo. If he sucked there why is he going to be good in Dallas with lesser WR's in Johnson and Glenn?

I keep hearing about Dallas contending but it sounds like Parcells hype to me.

I bet the Bolts would disagree. That was a tough win on the road. Well geographic-wise anyway. There were more Cowboy fans at the game than there were Charger fans. :shake:

Taco John
09-15-2005, 02:45 PM

Huh? Are you saying John Elway got money above and over the cap? That's a hell of an accusation.

Taco John
09-15-2005, 02:47 PM
But...but...but...Bowlen didn't get any advantage from doing things that way. At least that's what their fans say, even those on this board. ROFL He just did it for no reason I guess... :hmmm:

I don't think you understand any of it. Are you guys saying that Elway got money above and over the cap under the table?

Wow. It's amazing to me to witness your perception of what happened in stark contrast of what actually *did* happen. It's like night and day.

It would appear you have no idea what you are talking about.

MyChiefConcern
09-15-2005, 02:52 PM
I've enjoyed watching Warner disintegrate with the Giants and now the Cardinals.

This should tell you all you need to know about the kind of guy Jason Whitlock is.

Rain Man
09-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Huh? Are you saying John Elway got money above and over the cap? That's a hell of an accusation.

But of course. I can't take credit for the theory, though. About 35 million people came up with it before me.

Eleazar
09-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Please don't touch the sacred cow, folks.

Taco John
09-15-2005, 03:06 PM
But of course. I can't take credit for the theory, though. About 35 million people came up with it before me.

Dude, what!?

This is the first time I've read anyone accuse us of paying Elway over the cap limit. That's a hell of an accusation. Thankfully, that's not the case. I'd be pretty ashamed if it were.

We were fined for deferment. In other words, NOT paying Elway the full amount that we reported we paid him. Bowlen's money was tied up in the stadium deal, so he asked Elway and TD if he could defer part of their bonuses for a year so that the organization could still have some operating capital while his money was tied up in the stadium deal. They got paid UNDER the reported cap figures, not over them.

The league, smartly, doesn't want teams getting in the habit of doing that because they don't want teams who can't come up with the deferred money to put their franchises in bankuptcy.

It has nothing to do with competitiveness on the field. It has to do with the financial viablility of the league.

ROYC75
09-15-2005, 03:26 PM
Dude, what!?

This is the first time I've read anyone accuse us of paying Elway over the cap limit. That's a hell of an accusation. Thankfully, that's not the case. I'd be pretty ashamed if it were.

We were fined for deferment. In other words, NOT paying Elway the full amount that we reported we paid him. Bowlen's money was tied up in the stadium deal, so he asked Elway and TD if he could defer part of their bonuses for a year so that the organization could still have some operating capital while his money was tied up in the stadium deal. They got paid UNDER the reported cap figures, not over them.

The league, smartly, doesn't want teams getting in the habit of doing that because they don't want teams who can't come up with the deferred money to put their franchises in bankuptcy.

It has nothing to do with competitiveness on the field. It has to do with the financial viablility of the league.

Only the Bronco fans believe this, the rest of the world feels you guys cheated.

Bob Dole
09-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Bob Dole would like to express his concern about the number of skinny people who author columns included on Page 2.

It's a myystery.

Hammock Parties
09-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Rain Man pretty much PWNED you on this issue last time, TJ.

Taco John
09-15-2005, 03:38 PM
Only the Bronco fans believe this, the rest of the world feels you guys cheated.

Not everyone is going to be compelled by the truth. The important thing is that we weren't charged by the league with paying over the Salary Cap like the Niners were. We were charged with deferment. I can live with that.

Whether a few clueless Chiefs fans want to hold onto the false belief that we payed over the Salary cap (when in fact we got busted for payng UNDER it), that's no biggie to me. That's the only direction I ever hear these comments from anyway.

Taco John
09-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Rain Man pretty much PWNED you on this issue last time, TJ.

He did? You're dreaming.

Are you still using PWNED?

Hammock Parties
09-15-2005, 03:40 PM
He did? You're dreaming.

Are you still using PWNED?

It was pretty obvious. Should I dig up the thread?

Taco John
09-15-2005, 03:40 PM
I think Rainman would need to have the basic facts correct to "PWN" anyone.

Taco John
09-15-2005, 03:41 PM
It was pretty obvious. Should I dig up the thread?

Feel free. Doesn't matter to me. If he's still got the basic facts wrong, then what difference does it make?

ChiefsOne
09-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Billick might be the worst offensive coach in the history of the NFL

Good article by Whitlock, but how fast he has forgotten 1 of the 3 stooges.

Rain Man
09-15-2005, 03:57 PM
I think Rainman would need to have the basic facts correct to "PWN" anyone.

I would humbly disagree. The power of conviction can overrule any so-called "facts."

Hammock Parties
09-15-2005, 04:01 PM
I would humbly disagree. The power of conviction can overrule any so-called "facts."

I can't find that thread.

Taco John
09-15-2005, 04:02 PM

Indeed! ROFL

If people are "convinced" enough that it happened the way they want to think it happened, facts are irrelevant.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar...

You going to the KC game in Denver?

CupidStunt
09-15-2005, 04:02 PM

Off-topic:

Are you just an Iowa fan pimping your impressive Bowl wins or making some kind of argument for the Big Ten over the SEC?

Because the Big Ten.... :shake:

Rain Man
09-15-2005, 04:05 PM
You going to the KC game in Denver?

ZachKC rightfully called me on the carpet for this, but I usually don't go. It's not as fun to be in a visiting stadium as in a home stadium, and so I usually just watch the game in my underwear on TV.

Maybe I should go this year, though. I haven't been to a game here in Denver since the Monday Night game in '94.

Hammock Parties
09-15-2005, 04:08 PM
It's not as fun to be in a visiting stadium as in a home stadium

Being a pilgrim in an unholy land is fun as hell for me, personally.

Have you ever been?

Eleazar
09-15-2005, 04:10 PM
I've been a fan at an opposing stadium before, but not a fan at a rival's place like Denver. I would like to do it sometime though. Preferably a right to carry state.

Rain Man
09-15-2005, 04:11 PM
Being a pilgrim in an unholy land is fun as hell for me, personally.

Have you ever been?

I've been to one game in Denver.

I also lived in Texas in the early 90s, when the Cowboys were winning their Super Bowls. Then I moved to Colorado and the Broncos got theirs*.

Hmm, it just occurred to me. Maybe I should move to Kansas City next.

* - Tainted by salary cap violations

cheeeefs
09-15-2005, 04:11 PM
as much as it pains me I was able to dig up this article.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7687802

it still means they were able to keep players that they otherwise would not have. There is no doubt in my mind that other clubs have been in this position before and were forced to cut players instead of keeping ones they couldn't afford.

Rain Man
09-15-2005, 04:14 PM
I've been a fan at an opposing stadium before, but not a fan at a rival's place like Denver. I would like to do it sometime though. Preferably a right to carry state.

The Denver fans razzed me, but overall they were pretty friendly. At any stadium, I'm sure it depends on who you end up sitting next to, though.

It was a fun time, though, because the razzing got stepped up a notch when Elway scored to take the lead. It then disappeared when Montana reached into Elway's chest and pulled out his black little heart, and I got to offer them up a big smile.

Taco John
09-15-2005, 04:14 PM
it still means they were able to keep players that they otherwise would not have.

Uh, not really. We always spend up to the cap limit. The only thing we did differently was report a figure up to the cap limit, and then make arrangements with two players to pay the difference the following year.

No big deal in my book.

If this were a deal to pay them millions more outside of the cap, that would be substantial.

Taco John
09-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Nice link though...

These agreements were plainly designed to help the club cope with seasonal cash flow problems exacerbated by the Broncos' need to fund front-end expenditures associated with development of the new stadium in Denver."

Hammock Parties
09-15-2005, 04:19 PM
It then disappeared when Montana reached into Elway's chest and pulled out his black little heart, and I got to offer them up a big smile.

That is why it's fun to go to into the lion's den.

Taco John
09-15-2005, 04:20 PM
Until you get eaten by the Lion.

I remember the faces on the Chiefs fans after the Portis 5 TD day against you guys... Two got up to leave the field early and got laughed out of the stadium.

Rain Man
09-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Nice link though...

These agreements were plainly designed to help the club cope with seasonal cash flow problems exacerbated by the Broncos' need to fund front-end expenditures associated with development of the new stadium in Denver."

So you admit that the Broncos can't manage their money.

TEX
09-15-2005, 04:23 PM
as much as it pains me I was able to dig up this article.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7687802

it still means they were able to keep players that they otherwise would not have. There is no doubt in my mind that other clubs have been in this position before and were forced to cut players instead of keeping ones they couldn't afford.

Plain and simple, it afforded them an advantage. Otherwise, Bowlen wouldn't have done it the way he did. It was a joke that they did this twice in 5 years and just got the regular penality for their 2nd offense. But then Tags and Bowlen are close...:shake:

Hammock Parties
09-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Until you get eaten by the Lion.

I remember the faces on the Chiefs fans after the Portis 5 TD day against you guys... Two got up to leave the field early and got laughed out of the stadium.

It's much, much worse to share that pain with 80,000 other fans.

dtebbe
09-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Psst...top secret NFL facts
By Jason Whitlock
Special to Page 2

3. Speaking of immobile quarterbacks, I don't expect to see Drew Bledsoe leading the Cowboys to a playoff run.

The Cowboys upset the Chargers solely because Marty Schottenheimer forgot to get the football to the game's best running back, LaDainian Tomlinson. L.T. touched the ball twice in the final 10 minutes of Dallas' upset victory.

The Cowboys win six or seven games this season, max.

After reading this, I have my own list... I'll skip 2-10 and give you #1.

1. After reading this article, I'm 100% sure that Jason Whitlock and Jeff George have an ongoing sexual relationship.

Come on Fatlock. Jeff George is your QB solution for everyone, and he couldn't escape my blitzing granny.

DT

dtebbe
09-15-2005, 05:54 PM
Cool pic of DJ:

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/pg2/2005/0915/photo/g_johnson_275.jpg

Yep, the hammer is about to drop!

DT

stevieray
09-15-2005, 05:57 PM
shanarat... ROFL