PDA

View Full Version : KCK sets sights on waterpark

jiveturkey
09-15-2005, 08:42 PM
Looks like another great addition to the city. It would also help with hotel accomodation once the Chiefs build their retractable roof stadium out there and host the Super Bowl. ;)

http://www.schlitterbahn.com/corp/media/vacation-village.asp

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/

KCK sets sights on waterpark

By MARK WIEBE

The Kansas City Star

Wyandotte County, already home to Kansas’ top tourist destinations, plans to capture another major attraction — a $300 million development that would give the area its largest waterpark resort.

Unified Government officials confirmed Wednesday that the government was negotiating with Schlitterbahn Waterparks of New Braunfels, Texas, to build a 300-acre resort in western Kansas City, Kan., that would include the waterpark, a covered river walk with shops and restaurants, 50 “tree house” accommodations, 100 cabins and a 300-room hotel. The resort could open in three years.

The two parties scheduled a news conference at 3 p.m. today to announce the plans.

Located just east of Interstate 435 between State Avenue and Parallel Parkway, the resort, dubbed Schlitterbahn Vacation Village, would be constructed partly on land now occupied by the Wyandotte County Fairgrounds and the county annex.

That site would put it across the highway from Village West and Kansas Speedway, a development that attracts an estimated 10 million visitors a year with the likes of Cabela’s, Nebraska Furniture Mart and the T-Bones minor league ballpark. The activity is expected to grow in November when the Legends Shopping Center begins opening some of its shops and restaurants.

“This allows us to grow on a great base in Village West and take it to the next level,” said Unified Government Mayor Joe Reardon. “It creates a draw for the entire metropolitan area.”

The developers — who have a resort in New Braunfels, a waterpark on South Padre Island and plan to open another park soon on Galveston Island — have been recognized annually in polls and trade publications for having the best waterparks in the nation but have yet to build a resort outside of Texas.

They said that Kansas City, Kan., was an ideal site for a concept they have been working on for years because of strong regional demographics and the proximity to Village West.

“We think that the people who live in the heartland of the United States are our customers,” said Jeff Henry, part owner in the family-operated business and Schlitterbahn’s director of development. “We think the next place for a resort is in the middle of this country.”

Henry and Unified Government officials said they expect to sign a development agreement by the end of this year and hope to begin construction in the next 12 months.

County Administrator Dennis Hays said the Unified Government is considering the use of sales tax revenue, or STAR, bonds to help finance the project, although he declined to say how large those bonds would be.

Such a financing mechanism, which was used to help finance Village West and is paid off using sales tax revenue generated by the development, would require the approval of Kansas Commerce Secretary Howard Fricke, who has been informed about the project.

No matter how it’s funded, Hays said, the project “does depend on some public financing.” The Unified Government does not, he stressed, intend to give Schlitterbahn the public land included in the proposed site in the manner that it handed over land as part of the Village West development.

“This transaction is based upon fair market values,” Hays said. “We won’t be giving away county or public land.”

Schlitterbahn’s New Braunfels resort opened in 1979 and has grown through the years to include three uphill water coasters, nine tube chutes, 17 waterslides, a bodyboarding ride, a wave pool, five swimming pools, five hot tubs, seven children’s water playgrounds and water and sand volleyball courts.

Henry said that Schlitterbahn had yet to draft detailed plans for the Kansas City, Kan., resort but stressed that it would include its trademarked “Transportainment” river system, which would ferry visitors to and from various features in the waterpark.

The body of water that comprises the river walk would connect to the waterpark and a marine park featuring saltwater lagoons for snorkeling, diving and touch pools.

The tree houses that would include guest rooms would be a first for a Schlitterbahn resort, Henry said, and would be built in artificial trees.

Henry also said the company had already purchased some of the land required for the project. Other parcels are in negotiations, Hays said. The mayor added that the Unified Government would not need to use eminent domain powers to acquire the land.

Unified Government officials, including the mayor, also stressed that they did not believe the project would pose a threat to Great Wolf Lodge’s indoor waterpark in Village West. “We don’t want to develop something that puts a great partner in jeopardy,” Reardon said. Lodge officials are expected to attend today’s news conference.

Schlitterbahn also is emphasizing that its project is not intended to compete with Oceans of Fun, the 60-acre waterpark in the Northland that has served as a premier summer entertainment venue next to Worlds of Fun since 1982.

Finally, the Unified Government said it had discussed the project with the Wyandotte County Fair Board and that it supported the project.

In a Unified Government news release, the board’s treasurer, Gary Grable, said the project would be a “tremendous opportunity” for the county and that it would “ensure a quality venue for our county fair for many generations to come.”

The Unified Government already has discussed replacing the county annex and keeping its services in western Wyandotte County.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comparing price tags

At $300 million, the new resort by Schlitterbahn Waterparks will outspend other recent developments in western Wyandotte County:

NASCAR racetrack: $252 million

Legends, an entertainment-shopping complex: $233 million.

Great Wolf Lodge: $51.5 million

Phobia
09-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Wow. I'm sure Great Wolf is thrilled.

They may as well shut down in May and open back up in Sept.

Schlitterbahn kicks ass.

jiveturkey
09-15-2005, 08:55 PM

Schlitterbahn kicks ass.
I like how the article states that they won't be competing with Great Wolf Lodge or Oceans of Fun.

If they get what they want not only will they compete but they will quickly win.

KCK is making this development stuff look easy. Just imagine if they score the NASCAR hall of fame.

BigRedChief
09-15-2005, 09:17 PM

Schlitterbahn kicks ass.Schlitterbahn is the best waterpark in the world. Think like a roller coaster going up and down hills but you ride on a tube. They use water pressure to propel you up hills. A mile long lazy river. A wave pool thats also a river. I can't wait for one to open here!
http://www.schlitterbahn.com/nb/images/MASTERBLASTERBluesq.jpg
Selected as the best water ride in the nation again and again, Master Blaster combines the up and down thrills of a roller coaster with the unique experience of being propelled by jets of water. Riders ascend to the top of the Blastenhoff Tower where they find two-passenger inflatable boats waiting for them. Once in position on the launch platform, they are sent down a three-story plunge, then back up three stories and into a twisting tunnel

Dayze
09-15-2005, 09:28 PM
if this comes to fruition, say 'buh bye' to the trailer park known as Ocean's of Fun.

I'd be fine with that.

Valiant
09-15-2005, 09:44 PM
I am going to be hated for typing this but...

The quickest way to clean up the problem of Wyandotte would be water...

memyselfI
09-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Agreed.

If they keep expanding like they are then LH will see a benefit in moving the team there vs. sinking more money into Arrowhead.

BigRedChief
09-16-2005, 09:38 AM
Rivals say it will boost their business
Quite a splash for waterpark
By RICK ALM
The Kansas City Star
Two competitors are welcoming the proposed Schlitterbahn Vacation Village and waterpark to the Kansas City market.

In interviews Thursday, officials at Oceans of Fun and Great Wolf Lodge said the ambitious $300 million waterpark resort, hotel and retail shops planned for 300 acres just east of Interstate 435 and Kansas Speedway in Wyandotte County would add to the region’s rapidly growing tourism and draw more business for everyone.

“Village West has exceeded everyone’s expectations,” said Great Wolf Lodge general manager Russell J. Archuleta of the retail and entertainment district that has sprung up around the motor sports track, including his northwoods-themed family resort and indoor waterpark.
“There’s enough business to go around. This means more opportunities and more jobs. It’s going to be fun.”

Stacy Frole, director of investor relations for Ohio-based Cedar Fair LP, which owns Oceans of Fun and Worlds of Fun in Kansas City, was more circumspect.
“We usually welcome any form of entertainment in a city that we feel can draw additional tourism. Waterparks are premium products that can only help us, and bring additional revenue to our park.”
Frole added: “We’ll be watching it.”

At a news conference Thursday, Unified Government officials pledged that the project would not take private land involuntarily for the project, nor would be given free public land or city tax breaks.
Public meetings will be held in coming weeks, and “we will get together on a project that works for everyone,” said Mayor Joe Reardon.
When finished, the mayor said, the sprawling Texas-based Schlitterbahn will create 3,000 jobs in the community and pay $3 million a year in property taxes.

Reardon did not rule out the use of state STAR bonds for the project, which would recycle sales tax dollars generated by the facility into project costs.

“This will be an engine of economic growth for the entire metropolitan area,” Reardon told an estimated 200 citizens attending the news conference at the Wyandotte County Fairgrounds — much of which would be sold to the Texas developers at market rates and razed for the park.

The land sale and other development issues with the city are still being negotiated. Nothing is a done deal yet.
Jeff Henry, of the New Braunfels, Texas, family that owns privately held Schlitterbahn Waterparks, said he expects negotiations to conclude before the end of the year.

That would launch a three-year design and construction period, with some phased facility openings along the way.
The park would lie between I-435 and 94th Street, and State Avenue and Parallel Parkway. A manmade river and lakes on the property would offer a natural setting for year-round boat ride attractions and other, unspecified year-round entertainment amenities.

Henry would not discuss potential tenants or details about the park’s proposed 300,000-square-foot retail component.
But he said it would be “far different” than The Legends shopping mall under construction in Village West. He termed the retail aspect “a groundbreaking, trendsetting retail entertainment destination.”
It remains to be seen whether there’s room in the Kansas City market for two big waterparks, said Robert G. Routh, leisure industries analyst for Jefferies & Co.

The good news, Routh added, is that the waterpark industry has been growing in recent years in response to public demand.
But “it is unusual” to see two big parks in a market of Kansas City’s size, said Routh, who noted he owns Cedar Fair stock.
“It could result in growth for the area,” he said. “But there’s a risk they could cannibalize each other.”

Henry isn’t worried. He said his company targeted the Kansas City market for Schlitterbahn’s first expansion outside Texas after witnessing the success of Village West.

“We looked at this market,” he said. “People come here from far away.”
The 60-acre Oceans of Fun “is a pretty small park,” he said. The footprint for Schlitterbahn waterpark alone is projected at around 100 acres that would blend into 200 more acres of shopping, a 300-room hotel, cabins and novel tree house lodging units.
Henry said he expects an adult daily ticket to the Kansas park to be priced around $30.

Schlitterbahn is an innovative and award-winning pioneer in the waterpark industry.

It operates three Texas parks, and company officials for years have been engaged in the design of other parks around the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First glance
■ When finished, the KCK waterpark resort is expected to create 3,000 jobs and pay $3 million a year in property taxes.
■ The $300 million park would lie between I-435 and 94th Street, and State Avenue and Parallel Parkway. A manmade river and lakes would offer a natural setting for year-round entertainment amenities.

jynni
09-16-2005, 09:43 AM
Direct competition would be a good thing for OoF. It would force them to actually upgrade the attractions there.

Sam
09-16-2005, 09:51 AM
KCK is making this development stuff look easy. Just imagine if they score the NASCAR hall of fame.

If they keep expanding like they are then LH will see a benefit in moving the team there vs. sinking more money into Arrowhead.

Agreed. Jackson county better get their act together and, well act.

Predarat
09-16-2005, 11:10 AM
Maybe they can just demolish Oceans of Fun and use the land to expand worlds of fun. That way they wont keep having to tear down good roller coasters for ones that suck.

jynni
09-16-2005, 11:34 AM
Why demolish OoF? WOF has tons of room to expand. The Zinger & OE were removed for maintenance reasons.

Predarat
09-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Why demolish OoF? WOF has tons of room to expand. The Zinger & OE were removed for maintenance reasons.
Because I have been to Schlitterbahn, and once you go there you will never have any use for OOF ever again. Schlitterbahn is just plain awesome!

jynni
09-16-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm sure both parks will see plenty of visitors when it's 90+ degrees in July.

GoTrav
09-16-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm sure both parks will see plenty of visitors when it's 90+ degrees in July.

all the people that go to Lake Jacomo "beach" will be chillin at OoF

Donger
09-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Wyandotte County, already home to Kansas’ top tourist destinations

This actually made me to a double-take. What is there in WY county that makes it "Kansas’ top tourist destinations"?

BigRedChief
09-16-2005, 12:36 PM
This actually made me to a double-take. What is there in WY county that makes it "Kansas’ top tourist destinations"?

Racetrack, Cabella's attracts 1/2 million a year.

Donger
09-16-2005, 12:39 PM
Racetrack, Cabella's attracts 1/2 million a year.

Ah. I left KC in 1997, so I wasn't aware of those.

Eleazar
09-16-2005, 12:40 PM

I don't get it either. All thats out there is a racetrack that is in use, what, 10 days a year? Are we supposed to believe that tourists fly into KC just to go to Cabellas? Yeah, it's great and all, but a tourist attraction?

On the plus side, the new development has made it so there are at least a couple of square miles in WY where you have a reasonably good chance of not catching a stray bullet or finding your car up on blocks...

BigRedChief
09-16-2005, 12:57 PM
I don't get it either. All thats out there is a racetrack that is in use, what, 10 days a year? Are we supposed to believe that tourists fly into KC just to go to Cabellas? Yeah, it's great and all, but a tourist attraction?

On the plus side, the new development has made it so there are at least a couple of square miles in WY where you have a reasonably good chance of not catching a stray bullet or finding your car up on blocks...

I guess alot of people travel quite a long distance just to go to Cabellas. Don't understand it myself but thats what they are saying. When the NASCAR people were here they threw out that #.

KC Kings
09-16-2005, 01:01 PM
I can see people traveling a long ways to go to Cabelas before I can see them traveling to Nebraska Furniture Mart. It is normal to see cars from NE, IA, AK, and OK in both of those parking lots.

jidar
09-16-2005, 01:19 PM
I think the point is to make KC a more appealing tourist destination overall. KC has been growing, and if they play their cards right they could become a major national tourist destination, sort of a jewel of the midwest.

Of course I don't know the first thing about these things and I'm only speculating, but it sounds neat.

BigChiefFan
09-16-2005, 02:04 PM
I'm all for it. Sounds like a fun day out.

Skip Towne
09-16-2005, 06:03 PM
I can see people traveling a long ways to go to Cabelas before I can see them traveling to Nebraska Furniture Mart. It is normal to see cars from NE, IA, AK, and OK in both of those parking lots.
Wow! All the way from Alaska?

PunkinDrublic
09-17-2005, 07:56 AM
Doesn't matter what they put in Wyandotte, KCK will always be the armpit of Kansas City.

morphius
09-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Hey, and don't forget NFM either. Lots of people from KC went to shop there when it was in Omaha only, so much so that they had trucks coming down for delivery all the time.

Deberg_1990
09-17-2005, 08:19 AM
If anything at the least it will provide more competition for WoF/OoF. It will make them "Up their game" so to speak. WoF in my opinion has been going downhill for the past several years. Hopefully this new "Patriot" roller coaster will be the start of something good there.

RealSNR
09-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Hey, and don't forget NFM either. Lots of people from KC went to shop there when it was in Omaha only, so much so that they had trucks coming down for delivery all the time.There's an NFM in KC now?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having it called "NEBRASKA Furniture Mart"?

morphius
09-17-2005, 10:00 AM
There's an NFM in KC now?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having it called "NEBRASKA Furniture Mart"?
Yup, right by the race way and Cabella's.

I guess it sort of does, but hey, there is an Oklahoma Joe's bbq place down the street that started in KC, so who knows...