PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Unveils Revolution Controllers

Taco John
09-16-2005, 12:01 AM
This pretty much looks like the worst controller in the history of videogaming. This thing would have been cool in 1991. Maybe it's too early to judge, but just looking at the controller, I think I'm going to pass on this one... We'll see about that though. I'm a sucker for Zelda and Metroid games...

http://www.g4tv.com/games/photo_gallery/283/Nintendo_Revolution_Gallery/index_pg1/4610.html

Miles
09-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Not sure how that thing is supposed to work but it looks like it would get uncomfortable after about a few minutes of playing. Doesnt seem like there are enough buttons on this thing either.

keg in kc
09-16-2005, 12:41 AM
Just what I needed, another remote to lose.

BigMeatballDave
09-16-2005, 01:23 AM
Just what I needed, another remote to lose.
ROFL

tk13
09-16-2005, 01:47 AM
How do you hit all the buttons using only one hand?

Spicy McHaggis
09-16-2005, 02:11 AM
what...the...****

Alright I'd be less critical if Nintendo had made a good decision since SNES. Cartridges for the N64? Dumb. Using Mini-Disc for the gamecube and lacking any sort of killer app? Very dumb. This looks like it might take the cake. Looks like the only Nintendo I'll be playing in the future is of the 8-bit form.

Ultra Peanut
09-16-2005, 03:30 AM
That is one of the most insanely idiotic things Nintendo could ever hope to pull out of their asses.

Well done!

Nintendo's efforts to be "different" usually lead to... well, look at that shit. Words can't do that thing justice.

Eleazar
09-16-2005, 05:31 AM
I think Nintendo has cemented their market share for kids 12 and under. Other than that, as irrelevant as ever.

XxKCKreepxX
09-16-2005, 05:38 AM
Ugliest controllers since Jaguars controllers. I wonder how much it cost to replace when somebody throws it against the wall in frustration?

Wrasse
09-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Here's a funny video of it in action (very goofy):

http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/651334/vids_1.html

I honestly think it's brilliant. I think it has the ability to make games fun again and not just the same game with a different coat of paint crap we've seen for some time.

Nintendo has always had a nack for introducing new innovations in console gaming (rumble support, the analog stick, etc.) and although their games sometimes come off as cute and kiddy, they have some of the coolest game mechanics I've seen in console gaming.

Think outside the box.

Eleazar
09-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Nintendo has always had a nack for introducing new innovations in console gaming (rumble support, the analog stick, etc.) and although their games sometimes come off as cute and kiddy, they have some of the coolest game mechanics I've seen in console gaming.

Think outside the box.

Do they still make games that aren't Mario or Pokemon?

Thig Lyfe
09-16-2005, 02:58 PM
What. The. Hell.

Wrasse
09-16-2005, 03:02 PM
Do they still make games that aren't Mario or Pokemon?Yes.

They have some other franchises like F-Zero, Metroid (taken over by a Texas developer as of late) and Zelda of course...the only problem I have with this controller (and supposedly you can use any Gamecube peripheral with the Revolution [like the wavebird] and this new controller also has an adapter that makes it look more like the current line of controllers you see now) is that it may cause problems for third-party developers...but we'll have to wait and see. OK...I lied...one other problem...with a gyroscope (or whatever it's supposed to have to sense motion, etc.) and infrared, I hope the controller doesn't break too easily.

I don't know a whole lot about it but from what I've read and seen...it looks cool...and, hey, making console gamers move a bit more while playing games may help with the huge obesity problem we have over here in the states. :)

*edit* More informative link: http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651275p1.html

Simplex3
09-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Here's a funny video of it in action (very goofy):

http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/651/651334/vids_1.html

I honestly think it's brilliant. I think it has the ability to make games fun again and not just the same game with a different coat of paint crap we've seen for some time.

Think outside the box.
So your argument is "they suck but at least they're different".

Saulbadguy
09-16-2005, 04:20 PM
There are quite a few games that I like by Nintendo. Anything with Mario in it is guaranteed to be quite fun, and easy to get the hang of.

Edit: Controllers look fun to use. I always liked the fishing games where it had a gyroscope in the controller and you actually "reeled the fish in".

Wrasse
09-16-2005, 06:03 PM
So your argument is "they suck but at least they're different".
Not sure where you got that...

Now if I would have said something like the following:

"Nintendo has always had a nack for introducing new innovations in console gaming (rumble support, the analog stick, etc.) although I'd rather furiously rub 20 grit sandpaper on my balls than play one of their titles."

...you'd be correct. :)

KC Jones
09-16-2005, 06:46 PM
[CEO w/ head up ass]Hey, those IPod things are really selling... quick get Engineering on the phone.

[Engineering]Hewro?

[CEO HUA]Yeah make the new controllers look like IPods.

[Engineering]WTFBBQ!

Reaper16
09-18-2005, 12:58 AM
I was relieved when I read that the thing can be placed inside more conventional "controller shells," presumably like a Gamecube or N64 controller, etc.
I remain open minded about this design. Nintendo's proved me wrong before. I think Penny Arcade said it best: "I don't have anything polite to say about the controller for the Nintendo Revolution. Watching the DS shift from something I furrow my brow at to something I take with me everywhere has bought them this courtesy."

tk13
09-18-2005, 01:07 AM
There are quite a few games that I like by Nintendo. Anything with Mario in it is guaranteed to be quite fun, and easy to get the hang of.

Edit: Controllers look fun to use. I always liked the fishing games where it had a gyroscope in the controller and you actually "reeled the fish in".
Super Smash Brothers for the GameCube is awesome fun. That's about the only game I've played on GameCube, but get with three other people and it's a blast.

ZootedGranny
09-18-2005, 02:58 AM
I think the Revolution is going to be a niche system trying to gain mainstream appeal, and this controller is going to be perfect for Nintendo's first party games.

While they have the classics like Zelda and Metroid to satiate the more hardcore gamer, their most recent big title is Nintendogs, a dog simulation game, and it's a huge hit. The past several years, they've been releasing more and more games aimed towards the non-gamer, to the point where Resident Evil 4 was seen as a savior from the onslaught of "LOL KIDdiEZ" games.

I think this controller will have obvious setbacks (how can you play Madden with that thing? Though thowing speed based on how fast you flick your wrist and where you aim seems awesome), but I think it will also open up new gameplay experiences. Imagine a first person shooter, where the remote fits into a handle shell, basically turning the remote into a light gun. You move with the analog control, and shoot with the gun. The accuracy would be tremendous.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how different genres will play with the controller, outside of party games.

The one hope I have, however, is that they make the analog extension wireless.

ZootedGranny
09-18-2005, 03:10 AM
And shortly after posting that, impressions from someone that had a hands on with it:

" "How does it compare to a mouse?"

From what I experienced, it seemed to be more precise than a mouse, but it's also much faster because it requires only a much smaller movement of the hand to achieve the desired effect. You just instantly point the controller at any part of the screen and bam!, that's where you're looking.

There is no lag.

There is no error.

It took a while to get used to the idea of how little effort is required to play a game with this controller. I kept wanting to lean forward and move the controller closer to the screen, and it took some practice to just sit back and just calmly move my hand ever so slightly.

At one point, someone said, "If you were to play a game with this against someone using a mouse, they'd have no chance against you." I had to admit it was true.

I've been using a mouse and keyboard for gaming for almost as long as I've been a gamer. I've logged over 80 hours so far in Battlefield 2 and I have a level 60 World of WarCraft character. If somebody had tried to tell me before now that a better controller would come along, I would have laughed at them.

But it only took me 5 minutes with the Revolution controller to realize that I don't need to use a mouse ever again.

Let's take a first-person shooter as an example. With a flick of the wrist, you can completely change your aim point from one corner of the screen to the other. Changing your aim point that way would require you to move a mouse all the way across a gamepad and could potentially take up to several seconds of pushing on a thumbstick with a standard console game controller.

Add to that the fact that the controller can correctly interpret roll (rotation of the controller clockwise and counterclockwise) and movement toward the screen or away from it, and you start to get an idea of the universe of new gameplay possibilities that Revolution games will be able to explore.

\from an attendee "

http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=othergames&Number=949214&page=0&fpart=2

Valiant
09-18-2005, 03:34 PM
And shortly after posting that, impressions from someone that had a hands on with it:

http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=othergames&Number=949214&page=0&fpart=2

I am calling bullshit fandom on that person... I have used a gyroscope mouse and the things are horrible for games... We sell a wireless one at my work and the things are just too much work compared to mouse and keyboard...

Now the old sony touchscreen monitors, are great for gaming and fps...

banyon
09-18-2005, 05:46 PM
If you think about it, it looks kind of like the old 8-bit controller just turned on its side.

http://www.8bitjoystick.com/archives/photo/NesController.jpg
http://media.g4tv.com/gallery/4606_s.jpg