PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with DICK VERMEIL, 9/16

Donger
09-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Q: Coach as we met last week you were a little anxious not quite sure what you were going to see from your team you had to be a little happy with how it all worked out?

VERMEIL: “Well actually it was a little more than expected. I thought we would play well and I thought we could win the football game. I did not think we would dominate the game like we did in the first half so I am really pleased with their performance.”

Q: And as you always say there is always concern for something and injuries it is coming out of the football game?

VERMEIL: “We really lost Ryan Sims for a minimum probably of six weeks and it maybe be the season you never know and he was really having such a great camp and a great preseason. He was playing extremely well when he went down early. Willie Roaf is really doubtful whether he will play or not but he will work today. We will see what he can and can not do. Patrick Surtain is fine so I am pleased that he is ready to go because we will need him in that secondary.”

Q: I saw Tony Richardson last night at the charity function and he is convinced he is going to play?

VERMEIL: “Yeah, I think he is going to be ready to go. It was miraculous. The injury was not as bad as we originally diagnosed.”

Q: Sometimes the diagnosis is a little bit stronger than the actual injury but talk to me a little bit about players who have the mind over matter?

VERMEIL: “Everybody has a different threshold to those kind of things whether it be pain or injury. Tony Richardson is a tough guy but all guys are tough in the NFL. Some guys just heal up quickly too. They say the older you get the slower you heal but Tony Richardson was limping badly ankle and knee Sunday evening and Monday morning and he was running full speed yesterday.”

Q: Very different test for your defense this week than the first game against the Jets. The Jets play action they want to run Curtis Martin the Raiders want to take it long?

VERMEIL: “Yeah, they do, but they do a lot of play action into that scheme and they have the receivers to go down field of course we all know Randy Moss, but Jerry Porter and those kind of guys can get down field, too. (Alvis) Witted who is a track man with great speed a typical Raider type wide receiver who is tall, lean and very fast. The one thing that pass offense requires time to get the ball downfield and what we have to do is get pressure on him.”

Q: That is what you want to see from your defense, you want to see back to back performances?

VERMEIL: I would love to see it, it is a different test. It is like you already said it is a different kind of team and it will be tough. They have a good young offensive line and the whole environment will be tough and it will test us.”

Q: When I say the words Al Davis what comes to mind?

VERMEIL: “Well, part of history of the National Football League. He has come up the hard way he was an assistant football coach for Sid Gilman in the old days of the Chargers. He has been a sort of a controversial subject in regarding NFL’s biggest lawsuits and moving teams and all that kind of stuff. He always has football players and he has three Super Bowl Championship teams, so he has to be doing something right.”

Q: He made the statement one time that he would rather be feared than respected, how do you react to that?

VERMEIL: “I do not know Al Davis that well. I do not know how many people know Al Davis that well. I know that he is very loyal to very close old friends. He can be tough to work for and can step in and interfere sometimes with a head coach coaching a team. All I have for him really is a he’s been in the league a lot longer and more successful than Dick Vermeil so you have to show him respect.”

Q: The Chiefs and Raiders that is always something special?

VERMEIL: “Yeah there is. There is an animosity here that exists between the two teams. A rivalry that has existed for a long time from ownership right on down. It Is nice to be a part of it but once you get into the ball game it isn’t about rivalry it’s about execution and contact with making plays and not making mistakes.”

tomahawk kid
09-16-2005, 09:58 AM
If Roaf practices, even on a limited basis today, I'd bet someone an ice cold Dr Pepper that he plays on Sunday.

jspchief
09-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Who the hell asks these questions? It has to be Elizabeth Merrill.

Lzen
09-16-2005, 10:03 AM
Sims out for a min. of 6 weeks. That's not good at all.

My gosh, who writes these Q & As? They need to go back and study grammar. They are becoming very difficult to read.

Raiderhater
09-16-2005, 10:03 AM
If Roaf practices, even on a limited basis today, I'd bet someone an ice cold Dr Pepper that he plays on Sunday.

I agree.

Kylo Ren
09-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Why weren't these questions asked?

Q: Dick, what's wrong with Jr. Siavii? With Sims out, it would seem like the perfect time for him to take off the diapers and play, wouldn't it? Is Jr. a bust?

Q: If Sims is out and Siavii isn't ready to play, will you look at bringing in some FA DTs? Who do you have in mind? When will you look to bring someone in?

jspchief
09-16-2005, 10:13 AM

Q: Dick, what's wrong with Jr. Siavii? With Sims out, it would seem like the perfect time for him to take off the diapers and play, wouldn't it? Is Jr. a bust?

Q: If Sims is out and Siavii isn't ready to play, will you look at bringing in some FA DTs? Who do you have in mind? When will you look to bring someone in?Why would we want questions with substance?

The fans would much rather hear Vermeil's musings on the Vampire King's insane ramblings.

Big Slick
09-16-2005, 10:21 AM

Q: If Sims is out and Siavii isn't ready to play, will you look at bringing in some FA DTs? Who do you have in mind? When will you look to bring someone in?

Why don't they ask those questions? Because the answers would be something like this...

A: Well, Junior is injured, you'll have to talk to the medical staff to find out more about that. Plus, we all know it takes 3 years to get a DT ready to play.

A: Our personnel dept. does a great job of knowing who's available. But we really haven't sat down and discussed that situation yet.

:banghead:

TEX
09-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Sims out for a min. of 6 weeks. That's not good at all.

Yep. For whatever reason, Sims is one of these guys that can't stay healthy. He is indeed a BUST. Time to move on and forget him this year. Also, when his contract is up, I'd think seriously about replacing him. There is no way I'd re-sign him. I'm tired of not being able to count on him for whatever reason. Just my take...

BigChiefFan
09-16-2005, 10:39 AM
Yep. For whwtever reason, he's one of these guys that can't stay healthy. He is indeed a BUST. Time to move on and forget him this year. Also, when his contract is up, I'd think seriously about replacing him. There is no way I'd re-sign him. I'm tired of not being able to count on him for whatever reason. Just my take...
Pretty harsh. I would see what his asking price is before giving up on him. He has been pushing the pocket and improving, IMO.

skky man
09-16-2005, 10:44 AM
Just to prove how stupid DA is on the way home this morning he said Sims being gone for the season was worse than loseing Big Willie for a while! Well excuse the Hell out of me but Sims has shown flashes but Willie is the anchor to the run and pass! Let's face it our "D" will be that much more improved with getting help from the offense for field position and getting a good breather in the 3rd or 4th qtr on a nice long drive!

Hammock Parties
09-16-2005, 10:45 AM
I think Roaf will split time with Jordan Black.

TEX
09-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Pretty harsh. I would see what his asking price is before giving up on him. He has been pushing the pocket and improving, IMO.

Yep. It's harsh and I agree with you to a point, but Sims just can't stay healthy. So, for that reason alone, I'd pass on the guy. The CHIEFS need to be able to count on their DT. Since Sims has been here from day 1 that has not been the case. Time to move on IMHO.

jspchief
09-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Just to prove how stupid DA is on the way home this morning he said Sims being gone for the season was worse than loseing Big Willie for a while! Well excuse the Hell out of me but Sims has shown flashes but Willie is the anchor to the run and pass! Let's face it our "D" will be that much more improved with getting help from the offense for field position and getting a good breather in the 3rd or 4th qtr on a nice long drive!Maybe his comments have to do with the depth at their respective positions. My guess is Vermeil feels that Roaf's backup is more capable than Sims backup.

morphius
09-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Just to prove how stupid DA is on the way home this morning he said Sims being gone for the season was worse than loseing Big Willie for a while! Well excuse the Hell out of me but Sims has shown flashes but Willie is the anchor to the run and pass! Let's face it our "D" will be that much more improved with getting help from the offense for field position and getting a good breather in the 3rd or 4th qtr on a nice long drive!
Well it fits in with Rhonda being a dumbass and wearing all black to arrowhead yesterday... Hell, even Al Saunders said that nobody should wear black into arrowhead this week, but I guess she is "special"...

HemiEd
09-16-2005, 10:53 AM

I think you are correct and the score will dictate the amount of time Wille plays IMO.

Mr. Kotter
09-16-2005, 10:57 AM

Holy crap....you read my mind.

That worries me... :(

I may need to seek professional help afterall. :p

Hammock Parties
09-16-2005, 11:07 AM
I think you are correct and the score will dictate the amount of time Wille plays IMO.

Yup. If we get up by 17-21 points, Roaf's ass is going to be on the bench.

htismaqe
09-16-2005, 11:10 AM
Maybe his comments have to do with the depth at their respective positions. My guess is Vermeil feels that Roaf's backup is more capable than Sims backup.

:clap:

That's precisely why I rated the Sims loss as my top concern.

It has nothing to do with Sims and Roaf and their respective talent.

It has everything to do with Jordan Black being far more capable than AIR.

KC Dan
09-16-2005, 11:17 AM
Well it fits in with Rhonda being a dumbass and wearing all black to arrowhead yesterday... Hell, even Al Saunders said that nobody should wear black into arrowhead this week, but I guess she is "special"...
But, black is so slimming....

ROYC75
09-16-2005, 01:01 PM

Yes it is, unless it's black spandex on fat people .......

Rausch
09-16-2005, 01:59 PM

A black hole couldn't slim that bidge down...

Frazod
09-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Yep. It's harsh and I agree with you to a point, but Sims just can't stay healthy. So, for that reason alone, I'd pass on the guy. The CHIEFS need to be able to count on their DT. Since Sims has been here from day 1 that has not been the case. Time to move on IMHO.

At least being lazy kept him healthy. :spock:

Wile_E_Coyote
09-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Q&A with DICK VERMEIL

Sep 16, 2005, 3:02:59 PM

Q: A week ago at this time you were saying you didn’t quite know what to expect what you would see on Sunday, do you have a better indication?

VERMEIL: “First off, what we did last week was not unique I think about 16 other teams did the same thing, won their opener. Each week you can win another ball game, you become more unique. We have done that once but nine times in a row and we were all alone for a few weeks so we all appreciate what we did but it is no longer important it is what we do now. We know it is going to be tougher out there than it was here. We are playing a really good football team. The Jets are a really good football team. We can’t go on the road and be anything less than we were at home that is all there is to it. If we do we will get beat.”

Q: Tony Richardson was out there what is his status?

VERMEIL: “He will play.”

Q: What about Dewayne Washington?

VERMEIL: “He is questionable.”

Q: William Bartee would be your fourth defensive back?

VERMEIL: “Yes still right now. He did the light tempo work that we did today.”

Q: What will be Kevin Sampson’s function this week?

VERMEIL: “He will play. He will not start but he will play. We will work him in.”

Q: Tony Richardson is expecting to be at full speed or will we see Ronnie Cruz come in?

VERMEIL: “Ronnie Cruz is ready to play but Tony Richardson is ready to play too. It’s nice when it is a concern and a prediction is wrong when they are not injured as bad as maybe we thought he was originally. It takes a lot for Tony Richardson.”

Q: Is Jordan Black going to play left tackle and then Chris Bober?

VERMEIL: “Jordan Black will play left tackle. Chris Bober at right tackle and then Kevin Sampson will play.”

Q: If you don’t have Willie Roaf what do you do to try and make up?

VERMEIL: “We prepare as if we have him. We try not to allow the influence of not having a starter influence how we plan and play and prepare. We try to do it that way and we have some obligations in case we have some problems and some adjustments to make. We expect young player to step in and play well enough for us to win.”

Q: How hard is it to simulate Raiders WR Randy Moss this week?

VERMEIL: “We only know what they did with him last week. He is a gifted player and he is going to catch some footballs. We just have to make sure he doesn’t catch them behind us. Then we tackle him and hit him. Make it hurt when he catches it.”

ct
09-16-2005, 02:46 PM

You have to know my historical record with gambling to understand me on this. I'll take that bet just to ensure that Big Willie Roaf kicks some Raider ass this Sunday night.

Real question becomes, where are you and how do I pay up come Monday?

ct
09-16-2005, 02:50 PM
A black hole couldn't slim that bidge down...

ROFL ROFL :clap: