PDA

View Full Version : TV Question

Donger
09-16-2005, 03:05 PM
Perhaps this belongs in the Geek Forum. If so, move at will.

I've an older (circa 1995) Sanyo TV that is showing some odd behavior: It almost immediately shuts off after pressing 'on.' What's the issue? Bad power supply? Getting too hot?

Could there be a short/fire danger?

chagrin
09-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Is it female?

Skip Towne
09-16-2005, 03:08 PM
Jap junk.

Donger
09-16-2005, 03:08 PM
Is it female?

How does one tell? Look underneath it or something?

MOhillbilly
09-16-2005, 03:13 PM
are you manualy pushing the on off button?

My RCA does this from time to time and has for years.

HemiEd
09-16-2005, 03:13 PM

I've an older (circa 1995) Sanyo TV that is showing some odd behavior: It almost immediately shuts off after pressing 'on.' What's the issue? Bad power supply? Getting too hot?

Sounds like a power supply issue, you can probably buy a new one cheaper than repairing yours however. I would not be concerned about fire hazard, even Sanyo put proper overload protection in their sets I would venture.

Eleazar
09-16-2005, 03:14 PM
I used to have a TV that did that. A lot of times if I unplugged it from the wall and then plugged it back in, it would work normally. Then I started trying to never turn it off. Eventually it was kaput. I think it was just a sign that my tv was on its last legs.

This was on a 13" GE tv, from about the same time period.

Donger
09-16-2005, 03:16 PM

Both the remote and front panel.

Donger
09-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Sounds like a power supply issue, you can probably buy a new one cheaper than repairing yours however. I would not be concerned about fire hazard, even Sanyo put proper overload protection in their sets I would venture.

Thanks.

StcChief
09-16-2005, 03:19 PM

RCA / Proscan are Thompson electronics junk. Chassis and front panel switch box are junk

Had mine completely resoldered and lasted about 1 year before same thing started happening. Out of warantee.

Never again.

I'll stick with Japs on the TVs -> JVC or Sharp.

MOhillbilly
09-16-2005, 03:46 PM
RCA / Proscan are Thompson electronics junk. Chassis and front panel switch box are junk

Had mine completely resoldered and lasted about 1 year before same thing started happening. Out of warantee.

Never again.

yeah man mines a proscan.
I just took the front off pulled the remote sensor pad out,and put the cover back on w/ the sensor out.havent had a problem sence.

I think the buttons get worn and it 'springs' or sticks and that causes it to pop ON the right back OFF.

Id shot my TV for giggles if it werent for KC football.

HemiEd
09-16-2005, 04:09 PM

Never again.

I was recently in their plant down in Juarez, they are making stuff for a lot people. This is not your Zenith "hand wired chassis" anymore.

chiefs4me
09-16-2005, 06:38 PM
bite the bullet and just buy a new one....

Rain Man
09-16-2005, 06:41 PM
http://www.solocine.com/images/poltergeist.jpg

FloridaMan88
09-16-2005, 07:29 PM

The same thing happened to my TV after a brief power outtage. As it turned out something happened to the surge protector I had the TV plugged into which was causing it. Just replacing the surge protector fixed the problem.