PDA

View Full Version : Some semi-interesting observations about the Oakland Rai-duhs.

Rain Man
09-17-2005, 12:19 PM
In looking over their depth chart, I notice the following.

1. Their two outside linebackers are 6-6, 285 lbs. and 6-6, 280 lbs. Both were converted this year from defensive end. The #1 backup on both sides is 6-3, 280 lbs. Look for Priest to run wild on swing passes and Tony G. to run wild on shorter routes.

2. As we all know, the Raid ers have some porkers in the middle, but their entire defensive line is huge, averaging 314 lbs. Combine that with the two enormous linebackers, and I think LJ will get less action this week while Priest takes advantage of the matchups. LJ will be getting a few of those sweeps to the outside, though, and the Raid ers CBs should be very, very scared.

3. Oakland's LCB, Asomugha, is their version of Bartee. He's in his third year, and has yet to record an INT. Their free safety, Schweigert, is in his second year, and has not yet recorded an INT. Their strong safety, Gibson, is in his fifth year, and has recorded 3 INTs. Woodson is in his eighth year and has recorded 16 interceptions. Their trio of linebackers has 12 years of combined experience and 1 interception.

4. The pass rush potential of Oakland's front seven:

Hamilton 17 career sacks (12th year), 3 total sacks in the last four years.
Washington 34.5 sacks (15 years), 5 total sacks in the last 3 years.
Sapp 79.5 sacks (12th year), 15 total sacks in the last 3 years.
Kelly 4 sacks (2nd year), 4 sacks last year as a rookie.
Brayton 5 sacks (3rd year), 2.5 sacks last year.
Clark 4 sacks (6th year), 4 total sacks in the past 3 years.
Irons 3.5 sacks (4th year), 1 total sack in the past 2 years.

Backup DE: Burgess 8.5 sacks (6th year), 2 total sacks in the past 3 years
Backup DT: Jasper 15 sacks (9th year), 7 total sacks in the past 3 years
Backup LB: Grant 6 sacks (5th year), 6 total sacks in the past 3 years

Sapp is the only guy on the team who's EVER had a 7+ sack season, and his last was three years ago.

I think this will be a good game to hold out Roaf. Black will be lining up against a big guy, Kelly (300 lbs.) who probably relies on a bull rush. That's easier than a guy like John Abraham last week.

5. Their offensive line is very large, averaging 318 lbs. Add to that a 270-lb. TE and a good FB like Crockett, and we'll need a good game out of our interior line. It's too bad that Siavii is a girl, because a big fireplug DT would've been useful. Fast blitzers might be effective, though.

6. Anyone else worried about Moss vs. McCleon? The only good part about that is that Moss can't catch the ball if Collins is throwing it ten yards over his head, like last week.

OldTownChief
09-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Anyone else worried about Moss vs. McCleon?

Terrified

Hammock Parties
09-17-2005, 12:23 PM
The Raiders wanted to make a concerted effort to stop the run this year. I think that is the reason for their GIANT OLBs.

I think we will see the Chiefs pass them out of the 4-3 and into nickel and dime early in the game like the Patriots did last week. Then it will be time for Priest and LJ to attack.

Skip Towne
09-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Those huge LB's can't be very fast. AS will take advantage of that.

KCFalcon59
09-17-2005, 12:47 PM
We can screen them all day. Priest and LJ could both gain quite a few yards receiving.

Rain Man
09-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Here's another interesting stat. Every starter in the Chiefs' defensive backfield has more career interceptions INDIVIDUALLY than all of the Rai duhs' starting defensive backs combined.

Dave Lane
09-17-2005, 12:50 PM
I'd pass first to open up the run with the Roiders. Usually i like to reverse this but with all the beef up front a few play actions to start and maybe a screen pass or two then hit them deep might keep the beef away from the backs. I was impressed with what the roiders did to the Pats running game.

Dave

Rain Man
09-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Here's another interesting stat. Jared Allen had almost as many sacks last year (9) as the entire Rai duh's starting four linemen (10.5).

Dave Lane
09-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Here's another interesting stat. Jared Allen had almost as many sacks last year (9) as the entire Rai duh's starting four linemen (10.5).

They don't seem to pass rush well (as expected given the size) but they are fairly stout against the run.

Dave

Hammock Parties
09-17-2005, 12:58 PM
WOW their defense sucks.