PDA

View Full Version : Next gen Madden media

ZootedGranny
09-18-2005, 12:47 AM
If you've followed the progress of this game, it's been pretty interesting.

There was the draft day prerendered footage that was EA's "target visual" and featured ridiculous lighting, but the player models left something to be desired.

Then came the behind closed doors showing of a real time video featuring Shaun Alexander and Brian Dawkins, which months later the public got to see, and it looked pretty damn good.

Last week shots were released from a Burger King & Pepsi promotion, featuring some screen shots and videos, and let's just say they looked horrible, with screwed up animation and unimpressive graphics. A lot of people were wondering what the **** happened..and EA responded saying that the footage was old and the game had came a long way in a couple of months, so they released some new screenshots.

Link to full resolution images:
http://rapidshare.de/files/5230250/Madden.zip.html

Resized pics:

http://home.kc.rr.com/mkbaslee/1.jpg
http://home.kc.rr.com/mkbaslee/2.jpg

Closeup of Brooks' jersey:
http://home.kc.rr.com/mkbaslee/jersey.jpg

Very impressive, and to think that they have around 8 weeks left to work on the game. If you can, check out the full resolution pictures, because a lot of small detail is lost in the resized pictures, such as being able to see the individual paint flecks in Brooks' helmet, and the stitching in the jersey, as well as the detail on the ball and the players themselves. Zooming in, you can see birth marks on Manning's arm.

That said, if any other videogame nerd like me has seen the Metal Gear Solid 4 footage, you'd think Madden looked like molten shit in comparison.

J Diddy
09-18-2005, 12:51 AM
It would be more impressive if you could edit the pics so I wouldn't have to horizontal scroll to read the flipping post.

RedDread
09-18-2005, 12:52 AM
Impressive, but at this point I don't think that the graphics will improve anymore. I like the fact that the crowds are actually 3D now, and the players actually look like they do IRL. EA did a good job for such a short time period, but you really won't see the full potential until next years Madden.

RedDread
09-18-2005, 12:57 AM
It would be more impressive if you could edit the pics so I wouldn't have to horizontal scroll to read the flipping post.

1600X1200 FTW

J Diddy
09-18-2005, 12:59 AM
1600X1200 FTW

nope

ZootedGranny
09-18-2005, 01:09 AM
Impressive, but at this point I don't think that the graphics will improve anymore. I like the fact that the crowds are actually 3D now, and the players actually look like they do IRL. EA did a good job for such a short time period, but you really won't see the full potential until next years Madden.

I think we'll be surprised. The field textures seem to be placeholders, and the lighting has a way to go, which will be the biggest change graphically. I do agree that 07 will be the biggest change, especially considering what Konami was able to achieve in real time with the PS3 hardware:

http://home.kc.rr.com/mkbaslee/mgs.jpg

Pants
09-18-2005, 02:26 AM
Damn, those pics are HUGE. I like how you can see the stadium reflection in their eyes and helmets... pretty good.

Rausch
09-18-2005, 02:34 AM
I hate Gates. Hate him.

Refused to buy an X-box 'cause he was tied to it.

Now Microsoft is using Mac's old processors for the next gen.

I know Sony's specs look insane but I don't see how they end up with a better machine, and I'd sooner poke my pecker in a hornets nest than give Gates any credit...

ZootedGranny
09-18-2005, 05:04 AM
Here's the message that goes along with the screens:

Welcome to Madden NFL 06 for the Xbox 360.

With Microsoft recently announcing a launch date of November 22 we can now start showing off more of the product we have been working on over the past year or so. The Xbox 360 version of Madden NFL 06 is really starting to come together and I’m very excited about it. To me, the game really is looking, playing and feeling "next gen." Back in April we showed you some video of what we thought this game could be like and with each day of development that passes, I am more and more encouraged that we will be able to meet or exceed that target.

We still have several weeks left in development, so what we are releasing now not final yet; but I do want to confirm that all screens are captured from the game engine and not pre-rendered. You will see this level of quality and more in the final product. As things like player sizes/builds and different weather/lighting conditions become fully tuned you will begin to see these great graphics come to life in all situations. We'll soon see what the Giants at Eagles at night, in the snow looks like in real-time in this new engine and can't wait to share that with you. Of course, Madden isn't just about great graphics; we will deliver a many innovations in game play with an animation system driven by over three times the number of animations as previous versions of Madden. We're also planning on bringing franchise mode to the Xbox 360 with a whole new way to access information that franchise players will really enjoy.

They only let me share two screens this week, so we picked two that both show off the detail of this game, but in different ways. The first is a close-up of Saints QB Aaron Brooks focusing down field. We took this shot a ultra high resolution, so I hope that makes it out to you, if it does, you will notice stubble on the players’ faces and even reflection in the player eyes. Without doubt, the player faces are the most faithful reproductions we’ve ever done. Additionally the detail on essentials like the football and helmets are incredible. There are more polys in our next gen helmet than there were in the complete player from previous versions of Madden. Each NFL team helmet has the accurate paint style (notice the metallic paint of the Saints), and we have exact models of all the various helmet styles and facemask types worn in the NFL. The football is detailed down to the last pimple on the ball, and it has its own reflective properties.

In the second screen of Manning and Harrison at the Bengals, we show even more detail in the player uniforms, helmets and faces. Check out the different helmets on the Colts teammates, as well as the reflection on this sunny day scene. You also get a glimpse of our full 3-D crowd who are individually placed in each individual seat in the stadium accurately. We probably wouldn't normally show a screen shot of the back of a player's head, but this one caught my eye and felt very realistic.

In game, the players come alive with facial animation and NFL Films on-field audio, which adds a whole new level of authenticity to the game.

You will soon be seeing a lot more screens and videos as we get ready to start football season again in November. Also, be sure to check out the November issue (on sale October 4th) of EGM, which has the first detailed information and impressions of the game from their visit to our studios several weeks ago.

- Jeremy Strauser, Senior Producer, Madden NFL 06

Supposedly the in game footage will be shown next Tuesday.

Hammock Parties
09-18-2005, 07:37 AM
I REALLY hope they port Madden 360 to the PC.

ZootedGranny
09-28-2005, 05:25 PM
The aforementioned footage hasn't been shown yet, but Microsoft is having a big showing at their X05 conference coming up within the week, where they'll be showing basically all of their next gen games coming up, and Madden plays a prominent role.

New unverified info from EGM magazine about the 360 version, with my thoughts.

Madden and Michaels aren't going to do the commentary for games, instead, it will be a local radio guy.

My hope here is that they have more than one voice doing the games as a local announcer. One guy voicing every game as a local personality won't make it any different than what it is now. It'd be nice if they had a variety, and then had Madden & Michaels do the MNF games, similar to the NCAA series, where Corso & Herbstreit do only major games.

It doesn't have owner mode or superstar mode, and it won't have classic teams, nor create a player.

Fine with me. I do wish they'd keep owner mode, but make it more of a GM mode with more detailed contract negotiations and similar things, but SS mode and classic teams aren't that big of a loss. Now, since this is a paraphrasing of someone else, I hope he meant no "create a fan" because create a player does have a use within the game considering EA's rosters are lacking. However, I read an interview a month or so back saying that with the next gen consoles, they'll finally be able to have completely full rosters, so it may not be a big deal.

If you have surround sound you can hear a defender's footsteps and his heavy breathing behind you.

Eh..sounds cool, but its not a first person shooter, I'll be able to see the guy before hearing him.

The stadiums will have faded seats where the sun has constantly been on them. The stadiums mow lines will be correct as will their condition ie Heinz Field deteriorating quickly.

Sounds very cool. If anything, its almost too detailed to the point where I wonder if their resources could be used better.

The coaches and players on the sideline will now react to onfield action, so during a big play, they'll be extremely animated.

There are about 4,000 player animations, double what the current generation offers. Each team will have a couple of players with their own specific animations.

I think the biggest leap sports games need to take aside from physics is animations. Physics and animations tie directly together in most ways, but since EA isn't yet using a detailed real time physics engine, the animations need to improve. If I had the choice between a mind blowing graphically realistic game with the current animations, or a more primitive looking game with real to life animations, I'd take the latter every time.

EA went to NASA for weather data so that the shadows in each stadium are perfect.

I love this. Lighting plays a big part of the game.

They have access to the NFL Films vault to grab audio so that the sounds are more realistic. You should be able to tell it's Peyton Manning or Ray Lewis calling an audible, and the tackles and impacts will sound better

Tremendous again.

200 key players' heads were scanned. There will be about 200 accessories for players but no hand warmer pouches.

This really only comes into play during real plays, but I dig it. I question that its only "key players" though, because I saw a segment on TV where EA was scanning player heads, and they were doing Ryan Moats. Unless they meant that right now they are only putting 200 into the game.

http://forums.operationsports.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=143346

Hopefully the guy didn't make up an elaborate lie, but parts of his info have already been verified.