View Full Version : Covitz: Chargers/Broncos loser will be in big hole

tk13
09-18-2005, 01:27 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12674314.htm

Loser will be in hole
Chargers, Broncos try to avoid 0-2 start in AFC West

By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

They’re angry in Denver. How could the Broncos possibly lose their season opener at Miami?

They’re seething in San Diego. How could the Chargers possibly lose their season opener at home to Dallas?

And someone is going to be absolutely furious tonight because either the Broncos or the Chargers will be 0-2 after their early-season showdown at Invesco Field in Denver.

Ordinarily, the second game of a season doesn’t carry this much weight. But neither team figured on putting itself in such a precarious position by losing the opener.

“All of us expected to win last week,” Chargers linebacker Donnie Edwards said.

“It doesn’t matter what happened prior to this game,” Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer said. “This is just a big win that we must get, and they are in the same boat and they need it bad.”

The defending AFC West champion Chargers are still trying to live down the decision to suspend Pro Bowl tight end Antonio Gates for the final two preseason games and the season opener, even after he ended his holdout and signed a new contract. San Diego desperately needed Gates, who set an NFL record for tight ends with 13 touchdown catches last year, when the Chargers failed to score from first and goal from the 7 in the final offensive series of their 28-24 loss to the Cowboys.

But general manager A.J. Smith said he had no misgivings about the decision, even though he acknowledged that Gates’ presence could have changed the outcome.

“If he were just on the field, just the threat would have made a difference,” Smith said. “(But) I don’t regret anything I’ve done.”

Denver had similar issues. The Broncos managed just one touchdown and one field goal in four trips inside the Miami 20. The Broncos converted one of 12 third-down situations, as Plummer only completed 45 percent of his passes with one touchdown and two interceptions.

“He did some good things, and he did some poor things,” Denver coach Mike Shanahan said of Plummer. “You want consistency.”

Adding to the importance of today’s game is what lurks ahead.

The Chargers face a brutal stretch in which they’re playing five of their next eight games on the road, including cross-country trips to New England, Philadelphia and the New York Jets, and visits by the Steelers and Chiefs.

Denver will greet the Chiefs next Monday night before a return trip to the Florida heat and a game at Jacksonville.

And there’s this to consider: Only three teams have started 0-2 and gone to the Super Bowl.

“I’m not saying 0-2 is the end of the world,” Gates said, “But we’re not an 0-2 team. One and one is non-negotiable for us right now.”

San Diego has not won in Denver since 1999 and just twice since 1987. Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer, 11-20 in his career against the Broncos, is trying to maintain an even keel.

“I’ve never been one to put emphasis on one game — unless we needed it to get into the playoffs or it was a playoff game,” Schottenheimer said. “If you say this is a critical game and lose, then what’s the use to keep playing?”

el borracho
09-18-2005, 02:24 AM
Denver might realistically go 0-4. How delightful!

Rausch
09-18-2005, 02:28 AM
Denver might realistically go 0-4. How delightful!

Not might, will.

And I'm taking sig bets on this one...

RedDread
09-18-2005, 02:28 AM
I honestly dunno what to make of this game, Denver looked terrible last week, SD looked good, but relied too much on the passing game late (a big no-no with Gates out).

I'd rather see Denver win honestly, I think SD is the bigger threat, and I'd rather see Denver at 1-1 when we visit them as opposed to 0-2. If they win next week, their game vs us wouldn't be the end of their season if they lost.

Dr. Chief
09-18-2005, 02:31 AM
“He did some good things, and he did some poor things,” Denver coach Mike Shanahan said of Plummer. “You want consistency.”

I think Shanarat should be pleased then, he's definitely consistently inconsistent.

Rausch
09-18-2005, 02:31 AM
I'd rather see Denver win honestly, I think SD is the bigger threat, and I'd rather see Denver at 1-1 when we visit them as opposed to 0-2.

Ditto.

But it isn't going to happen. Denver is ****ing terrible...

the Talking Can
09-18-2005, 06:06 AM
Denver has no leadership...if they go 0-3 the rats will start eating each other.

You think the rejects from the Brown's DL are gonna give rousing "we're all in it together guys!" speeches?

I hope they lose and continue to lose. Forever.

Mile High Mania
09-18-2005, 07:05 AM
Most of you guys will be sad... Denver is not going to lose to the Chargers this week. AFCW teams typically win the home games, everyone knows this. The Chargers' defense let Bledsoe look like Manning with 300+ yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs - winning NFC honors of the week. Bledsoe.

Now, Plummer might not walk out with 0 INTs, but I have no doubts in my mind that Plummer and those receivers can light up the Chargers.

Denver isn't nearly as bad as they looked on the road last week... it sucks that they played that way, but it's only 1 week.

All it takes is a Denver win at home - very likely and a KC loss @ Oakland... and things are normal again. I'm very interested to see how KC's revamped defense plays on the road.

Hammock Parties
09-18-2005, 07:33 AM
Bledsoe is not that bad. The Cowboys protected him and gave him a running game. He has some good receivers. Historically, he's pretty good when he has those three things.

Last week Denver had none of those things.

If I was a chugger fan, I'd be more worried about their offense. If Brees reverts, they are f*cked.

headsnap
09-18-2005, 07:37 AM
Denver had similar issues. The Broncos managed just one touchdown and one field goal in four trips inside the Miami 20. The Broncos converted one of 12 third-down situations, as Plummer only completed 45 percent of his passes with one touchdown and two interceptions.

ROFL