PDA

View Full Version : Royals game is smallest home crowd in 10 years!

Deberg_1990
09-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Smallest Home crowd since July 5th 1995. Ironically, i was at that game 10 years ago! Attendance: 8,915

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=250919107

Well, at least the Royals won tonight.....WooHoo....

99 losses and counting....come on #105!

Bowser
09-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Roayals fans own Toronto fans.

gblowfish
09-19-2005, 10:09 PM
Today at work my boss gave me 4 free tix and a parking pass. Seats were about 15 rows up from the Detroit dugout. Great game, Royals had around 18 hits and Matt Stairs was a triple shy of the cycle. And since I got 4 tix (just my wife and I went) I get 4 dozen free donuts. So I'm so Homer Simpson this week.

MMMMMM....donuts...

The announced "paid" attendence was 8100. There was actually maybe 3500 people there. That attendence number includes all the season tickets. It was pretty sad, but fun tonight for the people who showed up.

Deberg_1990
09-19-2005, 10:13 PM
The announced "paid" attendence was 8100. There was actually maybe 3500 people there. That attendence number includes all the season tickets. It was pretty sad, but fun tonight for the people who showed up.

wow, thats pathetic......its funny, i used to make fun of the Cleveland fans back in the 1980's when we used to play up there. Back in those days the Indians were awful and I used to say "There are more people in the dugout than in the stands" little did i know that the Royals would become the 1980's Cleveland Indians.......sad...

leviw
09-19-2005, 10:18 PM
I'm sure I was one of four people in the world listening to the 9th inning on the radio tonight, but it was classic listening to Denny and Ryan. Great dialog. They know nobody is listening, and it shows. I was entertained.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-19-2005, 10:21 PM
I thought baseball was over...

tommykat
09-19-2005, 10:36 PM
ROFLROFLROFL I wonder why? :deevee: Not.

tk13
09-19-2005, 11:18 PM
I'm sure I was one of four people in the world listening to the 9th inning on the radio tonight, but it was classic listening to Denny and Ryan. Great dialog. They know nobody is listening, and it shows. I was entertained.
They had in an article in the Star the other day that said TV ratings are actually up from last year. Probably has something to do with having young players to watch as opposed to watching guys like Darrell May take a turn every 5 days. I don't know.

Either way, they've really turned the bats on in September. Berroa's been on fire, and Teahen and Buck are starting to come around this month.

Berroa - .348, 2 HR, 18 RBI
Teahen - .296, 1 HR, 13 RBI
Buck - .327, 3 HR, 7 RBI

I like it, hopefully it's something they use to finish strong and carry into the offseason. We'll see.

Sure-Oz
09-20-2005, 01:14 AM
ill be at the game saturday, probably the last royals game ill attend likely till next year, its bee like since preseason started that i stopped paying attn, yeah way too late but hah.

Dunit35
09-20-2005, 01:33 AM
that attendence is terrible..shouldnt happen...Salary cap is what baseball needs...no way the Yankees should be allowed to have a 200 million dollar payroll...screw baseball...I wish I could remember what Steinbrenner pays an inning for his team to play...like almost a million maybe...or atleast in the 100's of thousands..had it on ESPN not too long ago...

ChiefFripp
09-20-2005, 03:03 AM

Berroa will be traded soon.

Mecca
09-20-2005, 03:10 AM
As I've gotten older, I've become less and less interested with baseball. I still play fantasy baseball with my friends for fun and occasionally watch games, I very rarely attend games now.

There's probably alot of things that play into my disinterest of baseball, lack of a cap, the game has changed, it's just not that exciting. Also did you guys know it's pretty hard to be good at fantasy baseball when you don't watch alot of games?

Taco John
09-20-2005, 03:13 AM
I hope we end up getting the Royals in Portland. They'd definitely be a draw here. This place is hungry for some professional sports.

ChiefsFanatic
09-20-2005, 03:14 AM
ROFLROFLROFL I wonder why? :deevee: Not.

You beat me to it.

siberian khatru
09-20-2005, 05:57 AM
On a more encouraging note, Hawk Harrelson's Chisox continue to gag like Jenna Jameson on my cock. Tribe only 2 1/2 games out now.

StcChief
09-20-2005, 05:59 AM
I hope we end up getting the Royals in Portland. They'd definitely be a draw here. This place is hungry for some professional sports.

Have 'em make Glass an offer.

HemiEd
09-20-2005, 06:00 AM
Very Sad indeed. I attended a lot of packed games at that place.

Chief Henry
09-20-2005, 07:36 AM
I thought baseball was over...

Its been over in KC since the 1985 World Series...

ChiTown
09-20-2005, 07:42 AM
On a more encouraging note, Hawk Harrelson's Chisox continue to gag like Jenna Jameson on my cock - which is only 2 1/2".

:spock:

Mecca
09-20-2005, 07:44 AM
Well hell, I figured she could handle alot more than that after all the practice........

KC Kings
09-20-2005, 08:38 AM
that attendence is terrible..shouldnt happen...Salary cap is what baseball needs...no way the Yankees should be allowed to have a 200 million dollar payroll...screw baseball...I wish I could remember what Steinbrenner pays an inning for his team to play...like almost a million maybe...or atleast in the 100's of thousands..had it on ESPN not too long ago...

That attendence is also BS.
The Royals pulled 8,900 and Dante Hall is 5'8" 187.

I don't understand why they don't start doing more promo's to get fans out there. The first day game they offered buy one get one free tickets through their daily email, and the last 100 loss season if the Royals hit a homerun at any September homegame, you could turn your ticket stub in for a free ticket to another game that year. I only lived a couple miles away, but we went to just about every game in September, and thanks to Raul hitting a two run homer in the bottom of the 7th in the last gamer of the year, we got to roll those free tickets over to April and went to every April game in '03.

The promo now, "Fan appreciation", you get 20% off on Royals gear at MLB.com.

Delano
09-20-2005, 08:41 AM
That is almost as bad as the Twins attendance in the late 90's when they were selling tickets for a dollar and still couldn't fill many seats.

Coogs
09-20-2005, 09:33 AM
Two ot three games ago, the announced crowd was in the 9,500 range. Since Royals Stadium holds about 40,000, that means the stands should have been about 1/4 full. From some high angle TV camera shots, you could see nothing but empty seats, with a few fans sprinkled in here and there. Looked sloser to 950 than 9,500. :(

chiefqueen
09-20-2005, 11:29 AM
They had in an article in the Star the other day that said TV ratings are actually up from last year. Probably has something to do with having young players to watch as opposed to watching guys like Darrell May take a turn every 5 days. I don't know.

Either way, they've really turned the bats on in September. Berroa's been on fire, and Teahen and Buck are starting to come around this month.

Teahen - .296, 1 HR, 13 RBI
Buck - .327, 3 HR, 7 RBI

I like it, hopefully it's something they use to finish strong and carry into the offseason. We'll see.

Buck hit well last Sept. somebody better tell him the season is 6 mo. & not 1 month long.

Calcountry
09-20-2005, 11:51 AM
Will Jose Lima be back next year? What a bust.

BELIEVE IT!

Skip Towne
09-20-2005, 12:12 PM
At what point is it no longer appropriate to use the term "crowd"?

Abba-Dabba
09-20-2005, 02:23 PM
The state of the Royals...per Bob Lutz

Royals' 4-year record is shameful

You know, what the Royals are doing this season is historical.

No, not hysterical. Historical.

By losing 100 games in three of four seasons, Kansas City has joined a not-so-elite group in major-league history.

In fact, it has happened only 13 times and most recently with the Toronto Blue Jays, who dropped at least 100 games in three consecutive seasons (1977-79).

But the Blue Jays were an expansion team with players who weren't ready for the big leagues.

The Royals are a 36-year-old franchise with players who aren't ready for the big leagues.

The Washington Senators, too, were an expansion franchise when they lost 100 games four seasons in a row during the early 1960s. So were the New York Mets, who had four straight seasons of 100-plus defeats from 1962-65.

The Royals have been around since 1969. They didn't suffer their first 100-loss season until 2002. Last season, they lost 104 games. This year, they're going to zoom past 100 like it was standing still.

Shameful.

Consider the Houston Astros, a National League expansion team in 1962, have never lost 100 games in a season.

The Chicago Cubs, synonymous with futility, have had two 100-loss seasons in their 129-year history.

The Cincinnati Reds, around since 1882, have lost 100 or more only once. The San Francisco Giants have had one 100-loss season in 122 years, many of them spent in New York.

You get the idea.

• Back to the Royals for just a second. And believe me, every time I think about the Royals I get worked up.

Why is Jose Lima, who gave up nine hits and eight runs during four terrible innings against Cleveland on Sunday, still in the team's starting rotation?

Lima is 5-16 with a 6.95 ERA.

Does it bother owner David Glass to be the laughingstock of baseball? Is he going to do something about it?

Unfortunately for fans of the Royals, the answer to both of those questions seems to be a resounding no.

Calcountry
09-20-2005, 02:46 PM
At what point is it no longer appropriate to use the term "crowd"?2 is company, 3 is a crowd. So if they draw less than 3 that would do it.

beavis
09-20-2005, 02:48 PM

Berroa will be traded soon.
If we could find someone to take his worthless ass at his salary, I'd do it for 2 cases of Natty.

beavis
09-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Hold your breath, please.

old_geezer
09-20-2005, 03:21 PM

Then why would they want the Royals?

HemiEd
09-20-2005, 04:11 PM
I heard Wal-Mart was not busy either, maybe a new strategy is in order for Glass?

Taco John
09-20-2005, 10:03 PM
It's always amusing to see the varied responses at the prospect of the Royals moving to another town.
Anywhere from GFY to "take em, just leave a quarter on the counter."

Myself, I'd be in line to buy season tickets tomorrow if the Royals announced they were moving to Portland. This place is seriously hungry for Baseball, and we'd pay out the ear for a bunch of lovable losers. Just look at the Mariners.

tk13
09-20-2005, 10:08 PM
What you keep failing to understand is that there are provisions put in by Mr. Kauffman before he died to help keep the team in KC and from being sold. The Chiefs are better candidates to move than the Royals are...seriously. It's not impossible but there are far more hoops to jump through and David Glass would not make any money out of doing it.

beavis
09-20-2005, 10:39 PM
What you keep failing to understand is that there are provisions put in by Mr. Kauffman before he died to help keep the team in KC and from being sold. The Chiefs are better candidates to move than the Royals are...seriously. It's not impossible but there are far more hoops to jump through and David Glass would not make any money out of doing it.
Yeah, what he said. Doesn't really matter how many people don't care if they move, but it'd be very difficult for them to do so.

Deberg_1990
09-21-2005, 08:59 PM

Wow, Kauffman was definately thinking ahead there! I guess he could see the "writing on the wall" so to speak and knew where MLB was headed before he passed away.