PDA

View Full Version : Attention all Bit Torrent users!!!

DRU
09-21-2005, 02:58 PM
There are still MANY of you that are showing Bad NAT on my torrent tracker. This means you've got blocked ports somewhere and your upload/download speeds are not reaching what they should because you can't get connected to near as many people at once.

If you have ANY sort of hardware router/firewall: Linksys, Netgear, Motorola, etc. attached to your cable modem then you have to open the ports that your torrent client is using for that machine.

Same goes with any software firewalls: Norton Internet Security, Zone Alarm, Black Ice, Windows XP Firewall, etc. Changes are that many of you who think you're all done don't realize the XP firewall is running. It blocks all incoming traffic so this would greatly effect you.

If you've got both, you need to open the ports on both. If you need any help with this PM me and I'll show you how. The fewer the bad NATs, the better bit torrent will work for everybody.

htismaqe
09-21-2005, 03:38 PM
I made the mistake of trying it from my laptop, which has a locked-down (read: no local admin) PFW on it.

If I ever get around to it, I'll put the software on my desktop, where I have control over inbound connections through the firewall...

Sorry about that.

Boozer
09-21-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm going to have to bow out of future seeding...I went five times over my monthly bandwidth allowance the last two months. Now Sunflower is out for blood.

RedDread
09-21-2005, 04:02 PM
what's a bandwidth limit?

elvomito
09-21-2005, 04:14 PM
most of the time this problem can be corrected by switching your incoming tcp listen port to something other than the default 6881, since that port is blocked by the isp most of the time. switch it to anything else

DRU
09-21-2005, 05:36 PM
I'm going to have to bow out of future seeding...I went five times over my monthly bandwidth allowance the last two months. Now Sunflower is out for blood.

Yeah, Sunflower BLOWS! They're the only ones I've ever known to do that shitty bandwidth limit thing. Sorry man. Are you in Lawrence? My girlfriend went to school at KU and I quickly learned that every business in Lawrence is a complete and total rip-off!

most of the time this problem can be corrected by switching your incoming tcp listen port to something other than the default 6881, since that port is blocked by the isp most of the time. switch it to anything else

Yes, I would highly recommend changing the ports you're using if you're using 6881. But you'll still have to make sure and open up whatever port you use on your firewalls and routers.