PDA

View Full Version : If there was a category 5 hurricane headed straight for your house, would you stay...

Kylo Ren
09-21-2005, 08:14 PM
........home and "stick it out"?

Many in New Orleans did. Many in Houston / Galveston are going to.

Apparently, Rita is bigger and bader than Katrina was. The experts are saying there will be a 20 ft. storm surge, but the levees around Galveston and Houston are only 15 ft. They say Galveston could be totally wiped out and Houston could be flooded just as bad as New Orleans.

The economy was moving along very well the past two years. Unemployment was way down and doing great. But, I don't know how much more the economy can take. I've heard that gas prices will go over $4 due to Rita. The high gas prices alone could really affect the economy.

Discuss........

Bowser
09-21-2005, 08:16 PM
Before Katrina, maybe. After, no effing way.

Phobia
09-21-2005, 08:17 PM
Not a chance in hell. My mother-in-law is apparently sticking it out though. Crazy, IMO.

tk13
09-21-2005, 08:18 PM
I wouldn't have stayed before Katrina either. Some people just don't respect mother nature. That said, I have serious doubt this thing is gonna be as strong as Katrina when it hits land. Still gonna be quite a pretty strong hurricane though, and probably cause all of us to have to start riding bikes next week... :)

Kylo Ren
Not a chance in hell. My mother-in-law is apparently sticking it out though. Crazy, IMO. Where is she?

Hydrae
It is hard to answer that because I wouldn't live in an area where I had to go through this kind of thing on an annual basis in the first place. They are predicting 40-50 MPH winds here in Austin on Saturday but I am not doing anything out of the ordinary.

But yes, I would probably leave in this situation if I was on the coast.

Saulbadguy
09-21-2005, 08:19 PM
I'd defend my house with my assault rifles.

Dunit35
I'd leave...no doubt..or I would just put a huge gigantic tarp over my house and build a 20 foot moat around my house and Id put a system in there that could turn the rain water into drinking water...everyone would want to live with me... ROFL

Phobia
She's within spitting distance of downtown Houston.

Kylo Ren
09-21-2005, 08:21 PM
She's within spitting distance of downtown Houston. Keep us posted.

Bowser
09-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Apparently this storm is moving much faster than Katrina did. Hopefully that means it'll hit land and dissipate quicker. But, I heard on the Weather Channel that since it it so incredibly hot and humid in Texas right now, it could still be a Category 1 when it hits Dallas. I find that hard to believe, but who knows?

Eleazar
I'd defend my house with my assault rifles.

Damnit, you're always biting on my style. :p

Dayze
the answer to this question is the same answer to the question : "If Adam Vinatieri was going to kick you in the junk, would you stick around to find out"?

No.

Hammock Parties
09-21-2005, 08:24 PM
I'm sticking it out.

Bowser
09-21-2005, 08:26 PM
I'm sticking it out.

You might want to brush up on your survival skills, so pop in The Road Warrior. Do you or anyone you know have a Blue Heeler?

Hammock Parties
09-21-2005, 08:29 PM
You might want to brush up on your survival skills, so pop in The Road Warrior. Do you or anyone you know have a Blue Heeler?

You've lost me.

Aries Walker
09-21-2005, 08:30 PM
No chance. Houses can be rebuilt.

TEX
09-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Yes. I live in Houston. There is one coming and I'm staying. So far that is, if it gets stronger I might leave.

dtebbe
09-21-2005, 08:36 PM
No way would I stay. You'd have to be retarded.

On the subject of the economy, I suspect it will take a hit on the short term, but there is a lot of rebuilding to be done, and that means lots of labor and raw materials will be needed. I suspect in the long term it could actually strenghten the economy.

If nothing else maybe we will actually start tyring alternative fuels. Having ran methanol in my racing vehicles for years now, I don't understand what the hold up is. About the only negetives are it's tendancy to absorb water (could probably be helped with additives) and it's tendancy to wash down the bores (easily taken care of with a top-end lube additive). Given the awesome produtivity of our farmers, alchohol seems like a logical solution.

DT

TEX
09-21-2005, 08:37 PM
I wouldn't have stayed before Katrina either. Some people just don't respect mother nature. That said, I have serious doubt this thing is gonna be as strong as Katrina when it hits land. Still gonna be quite a pretty strong hurricane though, and probably cause all of us to have to start riding bikes next week... :)

Well Rita is already STRONGER than Katrina ever was. Winds now are 175 MPH and the pressure is lower as well. It's the 3rd strongest Atlantic - based storm since they started keeping records.

I might change my mind and forget about staying and drive to San Antonio or Austin tomorrow. :hmmm:

Hydrae
09-21-2005, 08:42 PM

The vets office down the street has a message board advertising Blue Heeler pups right now for $500. :D

tk13
09-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Well Rita is already STRONGER than Katrina ever was. Winds now are 175 MPH and the pressure is lower as well. It's the 3rd strongest Atlantic - based storm since they started keeping records.

I might change my mind and forget about staying and drive to San Antonio or Austin tomorrow. :hmmm:
That's my point. It's very difficult for a storm to stay that "perfect" for that many days. Plus the water along the Texas coast isn't quite as warm. Don't get me wrong, this thing is gonna be a monster, but I think it'll weaken some before landfall. But I'm not a meteorologist, I just play one on ChiefsPlanet. Plus, that was what the hurricane expert on the Weather Channel was saying.

chiefs4me
09-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Apparently this storm is moving much faster than Katrina did. Hopefully that means it'll hit land and dissipate quicker. But, I heard on the Weather Channel that since it it so incredibly hot and humid in Texas right now, it could still be a Category 1 when it hits Dallas. I find that hard to believe, but who knows?

It was a 102 here today, so...what kind of damage can a Cat 1 do...:hmmm:

ROYC75
09-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Stick around......... not a chance.

Damn bitch has gone from a Cat # 2 to a Cat # 5 within a 30 hour period. That warm body of water has fueled it.

FTR, Galveston has a 17 foot sea wall, they are expecting the storm surge to be 50' tall . :eek: Total destruction folks.......

The damn refineries are going to get hit hard around Texas City, Houston, etc.

I'm glad I don't live there anymore, I moved away from Aransas Pass, Tx in 1982, just before the 83 cane hit Houston.

Hydrae
09-21-2005, 09:06 PM
It was a 102 here today, so...what kind of damage can a Cat 1 do...:hmmm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffir-Simpson_Hurricane_Scale

Cat 1 has wind speeds of 74-95.

Phobia
09-21-2005, 09:10 PM
Yes. I live in Houston. There is one coming and I'm staying. So far that is, if it gets stronger I might leave.

Stronger than what? It can already deposit your house in El Paso. Did you want it to be strong enough to put it in the Pacific? Any way you slice it, you're going to be jetlagged when you get off the ride.

Taco John
09-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Not only no, but hell no.

I could go through my whole life without going through a category 1 hurricane, let alone a category 5.

RedDread
09-21-2005, 09:15 PM
No way would I stay. You'd have to be retarded.

That about sums up my feelings right there.

Taco John
09-21-2005, 09:16 PM
I just have this thing about dying in hellish ways. Plus, getting ripped up along with the rest of my property just has Darwin written all over it.

Hammock Parties
09-21-2005, 09:18 PM
I-45 is gridlocked. It's lit up like a Christmas Tree.

Phobia
09-21-2005, 09:20 PM

I wouldn't want any part of that. It will probably be gridlocked for 2 days, too.

Is 290, 59, and 10 gridlock as well?

tommykat
09-21-2005, 09:21 PM

That surprises you? :hmmm:

Hammock Parties
09-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Is 290, 59, and 10 gridlock as well?

I don't know, they just commented on 45 on the news.

Phobia
09-21-2005, 09:32 PM
I don't know, they just commented on 45 on the news.

The answer is "yes".

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/data/layers/images/speed_legend.gif

Rausch
09-21-2005, 09:44 PM
As long as my family is out of the area, I'm out...

Bwana
09-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Two Words: Road trip.

Nzoner
09-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Not to be a wise ass but this is a football board first and foremost so as a Chiefs fan I have to wonder,if Reliant Stadium takes a beating will KC get to host the Sunday night game in November?

Hammock Parties
09-21-2005, 09:54 PM
Not to be a wise ass but this is a football board first and foremost so as a Chiefs fan I have to wonder,if Reliant Stadium takes a beating will KC get to host the Sunday night game in November?

I don't think it's going to be near that bad.

Phobia
09-21-2005, 09:58 PM
I don't think it's going to be near that bad.

Well, it's not like you had a whole lot to live for anyway. Believe it or not, ChiefsPlanet will go on without you.

Ultra Peanut
09-21-2005, 10:00 PM
I'm sticking it out."Either I zip down, or he zips up, and that is a mighty long zipper on Mother’s Cher jumpsuit. You have to get on your knees to start it."
"This is much less scary. Godspeed, Buster."

Hammock Parties
09-21-2005, 10:03 PM
Well, it's not like you had a whole lot to live for anyway. Believe it or not, ChiefsPlanet will go on without you.

In the event of my untimely demise, I've created an internet bot that will assume my Chiefsplanet identity. It's stored in a secure location, and it's program is well stocked with choice, GoChiefs-esque words and phrases like "PWNED, "WTF IS GOING ON," and "CARRIE UNDERWOOD IS HOTTER."

Eleazar
09-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Who's carrie underwood?

Hammock Parties
09-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Who's carrie underwood?

My dream girl.

Eleazar
09-21-2005, 10:06 PM
My dream girl.

Yeah but who is she? You peeping in her windows or something?

Hammock Parties
09-21-2005, 10:13 PM
Yeah but who is she? You peeping in her windows or something?

She won the last American Idol.

Darkwolfe
09-21-2005, 10:13 PM
Not a chance in hell. My mother-in-law is apparently sticking it out though. Crazy, IMO.

If she's in downtown Houston she'll be fine. That's a good 20 miles inland.

I rode out one hurricane from the NE corner of the Houston metro area. By the time it got there it was like a really bad thunderstorm that just lasted for a while.

tk13
09-21-2005, 10:17 PM
I'll take over "This week in Chiefs history". Somebody else has to take the Star Wars schtick though.

StcChief
09-21-2005, 10:57 PM
You have to be kidding right? Take some irreplaceable stuff and get outta Dodge.

Pants
09-22-2005, 01:22 AM
F*ck no.

...and...

Gochiefs, you were using the word "ONWED" when I came here, only after I used "pwnd" did you ever start saying that. So please, stop giving yourself credit for ideas, no matter how shitty they are. You probably don't even know where the word originally comes from...

Taco John
09-22-2005, 01:47 AM
Oh wow. I think we've got a pop-nerd fight on our hands.

Rausch
09-22-2005, 02:13 AM
I'll take over "This week in Chiefs history". Somebody else has to take the Star Wars schtick though.

RedDread
09-22-2005, 02:22 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PWNED%21

RedDread
09-22-2005, 02:28 AM
and for all you KU fans

http://underscorebleach.net/jotsheet/images/dee_pwned.jpg

Amnorix
09-22-2005, 05:49 AM
One of the most interesting things I learned during Katrina was that the increase in destructive power as the category levels go up isn't linear, it's exponential.

And, specifically, a Category 5 hurricane is between 500 to 1,000 times more powerful/destructive than a Category 1.

And I would be gone so fast it'd make your head spin. The irreplaceable things in my life are my wife and kids and a few sentimental items. Everything else is replaceable. Why risk the irreplaceable stuff to protect the replaceable stuff?

Scaga
09-22-2005, 08:46 AM
Not just no, but Hell NO.

TEX
09-22-2005, 08:50 AM
There is one heading straight for me right now and I'm LEAVING for San Antonio - See ya!

Garcia Bronco
09-22-2005, 09:06 AM
cat 1 hurricanes are for pussies...I've been through more that a dozen

Bootlegged
09-22-2005, 09:08 AM
Sweet. US Air is offering E-Savers to Houston for only $149 this weekend! What a deal!

jynni
09-22-2005, 09:46 AM
My brother is stationed in Jacksonville, NC right now and they sat through Ophelia. He said it was alot of wind and rain but not much damage - just some downed trees and stuff.

What I also don't understand is the people who have quickly forgotten what it's like to live in the aftermath of a major hurricane. Sure you might ride it out okay but no power, no water and the like could make it pretty miserable.

I mean probably not as bad as NO but still not worth sticking around for.

KC Dan
09-22-2005, 09:49 AM
I've rode out two CAT3's. Never again! Stupid, stupid, stupid. Get out and find refuge, it is far safer and ensures better living conditions post-hurricane.

Brock
09-22-2005, 09:53 AM
If I wanted to hang around and steal stuff, I guess I would stay.

GoTrav
09-22-2005, 10:18 AM
........home and "stick it out"?

Many in New Orleans did. Many in Houston / Galveston are going to.

Apparently, Rita is bigger and bader than Katrina was. The experts are saying there will be a 20 ft. storm surge, but the levees around Galveston and Houston are only 15 ft. They say Galveston could be totally wiped out and Houston could be flooded just as bad as New Orleans.

The economy was moving along very well the past two years. Unemployment was way down and doing great. But, I don't know how much more the economy can take. I've heard that gas prices will go over $4 due to Rita. The high gas prices alone could really affect the economy.

Discuss........

Buddy of mine is in the Houston area and he was saying it is taking some 12 hrs to get out of the Houston area due to the traffic congestion. Most are heading towards Dallas because Austin and other areas are already booked to capacity. He is hearing reports of it taking 18 hrs to get to Dallas, and many are not even making it there due to gas issues, of availablity, and running out along the way. They are starting to redirect some of the highway lanes coming into the city, to only travel north, out of the city.

He is unable to leave due to his wife being required to stay for her job until 5PM today; more than likely they will head about 45 minutes north to a friend's house and ride the storm out there.

KChiefs1
09-22-2005, 10:23 AM
I have family in the Angleton/Brazoria/Freeport area & they plan to stick it out at home....they are worried about looters....

MOhillbilly
09-22-2005, 11:21 AM
i dont leave during twister season....so im sayin NO.

onescrewleftuntwisted
09-22-2005, 12:56 PM
looters in wetsuits and scuba gear more reason to stay

kepp
09-22-2005, 01:06 PM
I consider that a similar question to "would you go to your basement if a tornado was coming towards your neighborhood?" Absolutely. I realize that people have sentimental attachments to "home" and all, but you have to have some perspective on what is replaceable and what isn't.

Pants
09-22-2005, 01:46 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PWNED%21

StarCraft my ass. That shit comes straight out of CS.

BIG_DADDY
09-22-2005, 02:16 PM
If it was headed at my house in Houston and I owned one of those brick houses that are popular out there I would probably stay and risk it. If I lived in a POS house I would get they hell out of town.

If it was headed straight at Gunther Fans house though I might risk it and head over there just to tie him to a tree in the front yard and film the whole thing.