View Full Version : Denver Post: Green will be tough to blitz

tk13
09-22-2005, 02:52 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3050443

Green may be tough to blitz
Quick release key factor for Chiefs QB

By Bill Williamson
Denver Post Staff Writer

At first glance, the Broncos' sudden bonanza of sacks in their brilliant defensive performance against San Diego in the second half Sunday was the byproduct of blitzing.

But blitzing was only a part of the package Denver put together in its 20-17 victory on the way to recording four sacks and holding the Chargers to 41 yards in the second half. Denver will need more than the blitz to have success Monday night against the Kansas City Chiefs at Invesco Field at Mile High.

What made blitzing Chargers quarterback Drew Brees effective was the Broncos were able to stop the run on first and second downs, allowing flexibility to come with a blitz when they chose.

"I don't even know how many times we blitzed Brees," Broncos defensive coordinator Larry Coyer said. "But we did it just enough."

Timing is everything.

"You just don't blitz and think you're going to succeed," Broncos defensive line/tackles coach Andre Patterson said. "You have to make sure it's the right time. Some of our sacks Sunday didn't come on blitzes. Do we want to blitz? Yes, but in the right situation."

The right situation may not come often against Kansas City quarterback Trent Green, who has a quick release and typically is not affected by the blitz. Green has been blitzed 18 times this season and has completed 13 passes for 175 yards on those downs. He has been blitzed an average of nine times a game this season, tied for 23rd among quarterbacks.

Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer is 14-for-28 for 149 yards on blitzes and New England's Tom Brady and Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb each have been blitzed a league-high 41 times.

"There are certain guys you blitz more, but Green isn't one of them, usually," Coyer said. "He'll eat you up if you plan on blitzing him all game."

So what can be done to stop Green and the high-powered Chiefs?

"Balance, and being quick and fast to react," Coyer said.

"Against the Chargers we were quick and fast. So we have to be quick and fast again."

Several Broncos players said their success against the Chargers was not predicated on the blitz.

"When you have to blitz, it's a bad deal," safety John Lynch said. "You want to have options."

To have options, however, you have to perform on first and second downs. Against the Chargers, Denver shut down the Chargers' running attack on second down. On third down, obvious passing situations, the Broncos had the luxury of not having to show their cards.

"We could have brought our front four or brought everybody," Lynch said. "When you can do that, you can have success."

With the quick release of Green, the controlled passing game that features star tight end Tony Gonzalez and the clock-eating running game of Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson, the Broncos know a different game plan may be necessary.

"We did great last week, but it's a new week," defensive tackle Gerard Warren said. "We're facing a new attack, and that means we have to find a way to attack a new way. Whether that's through the blitz or not, we have to adjust. We did it against San Diego, and we have to do it again."

trndobrd
09-22-2005, 05:23 AM
What?...if they can stop the run on 1st and 2nd down, they can blitz (or not) on third down?

A thousand Curses! The key to stopping the Chiefs Offense has been revealed! We are doomed!

NewChief
09-22-2005, 05:33 AM
Bill Williamson obviously hasn't been watching the same film as TJ. Everyone knows that Green is a 4th or 5th tier QB in the mold of Trent Dilfer. Why should they even worry about game planning for him?

That Coyer dude must be an idiot, too. Everyone knows that Green folds under pressure and only succeeds because of the security blanket of his offensive line. Quick release has nothing to do with it.

DaWolf
09-22-2005, 06:26 AM
Holy crap I didn't realize Denver was gonna try to stop the run. I'm gonna have to reevaluate my prediction that the Chiefs will win by 10. Chiefs by 13...

HemiEd
09-22-2005, 06:40 AM
Bill Williamson obviously hasn't been watching the same film as TJ. Everyone knows that Green is a 4th or 5th tier QB in the mold of Trent Dilfer. Why should they even worry about game planning for him?

That Coyer dude must be an idiot, too. Everyone knows that Green folds under pressure and only succeeds because of the security blanket of his offensive line. Quick release has nothing to do with it.

:clap: ROFL

DenverChief
09-22-2005, 07:48 AM

damn the quick release

chiefz
09-22-2005, 07:50 AM
I hope they expect they can get pressure with that front four alone... ROFL

Mecca
09-22-2005, 07:53 AM
I hope they expect they can get pressure with that front four alone... ROFL

Yes because after reading the Mane, this has got to be the best front 4 in the entire NFL.........

When people consider Courtney Brown a diference maker and talk about him "molesting" Willie Roaf. I really question their sanity.

chiefz
09-22-2005, 07:56 AM
Yes because after reading the Mane, this has got to be the best front 4 in the entire NFL.........

When people consider Courtney Brown a diference maker and talk about him "molesting" Willie Roaf. I really question their sanity.

They are hanging out on the Mane and it took you this long to question their sanity? :)

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-22-2005, 08:09 AM

They should just be thankful that odd Todd isn't getting the start.

RINGLEADER
09-22-2005, 09:27 AM
#3 rushing attack of the Chiefs versus #22 rushing defense of the Broncos. I like our chances running the ball.

#4 rushing defense of the Chiefs versus #22 rushing offense of the Broncos. I like our chances stopping the run.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-22-2005, 10:54 AM

ROFL

What the "smart" Bronco fans don't realize is that EVERY QB IS AS GOOD AS THEIR OLINE!!! They are in denial that our QB is just plain better. Even when Plummer does have time, he still sucks. My gosh does he suck.

wazu
09-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Green has been blitzed 18 times this season and has completed 13 passes for 175 yards on those downs.

Now there's a stat that means something. That is just awesome! I love that we have a good quarterback.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-22-2005, 11:05 AM
Now there's a stat that means something. That is just awesome! I love that we have a good quarterback.

The Broncos don't.

Dartgod
09-22-2005, 11:36 AM

Nonsense. Here are the only stats that matter:

TDs:
Trent 27
Jake 27

INTs:
Trent 17
Plummer 20

All the rest, I don't care about. It's raw production that matters. Points on the board, points off the board. The rest is just difference in style...

Pitt Gorilla
09-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Nonsense. Here are the only stats that matter:

TDs:
Trent 27
Jake 27

INTs:
Trent 17
Plummer 20

All the rest, I don't care about. It's raw production that matters. Points on the board, points off the board. The rest is just difference in style...
Heh.

foxman
09-22-2005, 12:09 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3050443

Green may be tough to blitz
Quick release key factor for Chiefs QB

By Bill Williamson
Denver Post Staff Writer

At first glance, the Broncos' sudden bonanza of sacks in their brilliant defensive performance.... ."

This is as far as I could stomach this. Are you telling me they went from being torn apart like a chicken leg in front of John Madden to the 86 Bears in 1 week.

Sudden Bonanza of sack and Brilliant defensive performance smack of Horse $hit to me...make that Donky $hit. Donko fans are very scared they will get blown off the field in this game. Personaly I am always cautious at predictions with regards to our divisional games considering the better team doesnt always win.

chiefz
09-22-2005, 01:18 PM
#3 rushing attack of the Chiefs versus #22 rushing defense of the Broncos. I like our chances running the ball.

#4 rushing defense of the Chiefs versus #22 rushing offense of the Broncos. I like our chances stopping the run.

You never know, they might score if they throw a burrito in the endzone...

http://www.chiefshuddle.com/funny/tacobell.jpg

listopencil
10-01-2005, 09:52 PM
http://www.chiefshuddle.com/funny/tacobell.jpg

Heh...I like that one. I'm going to steal it for when he screws up and I'm pissed at him.

listopencil
10-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Or maybe if I think Anderson's not doing a good job and I want them to put Taco Bell in.