PDA

View Full Version : RAND: There's no better time to visit Denver

Chiefs Pantalones
09-22-2005, 10:48 AM
RAND: There's no better time to visit Denver
Sep 22, 2005, 5:26:38 AM by Jonathan Rand - FAQ

Much as the Chiefs would love to win Monday night in Denver, it’s not a must-win game for them. But it is a must-win game for the Broncos, not to mention and the rest of the AFC West. The Chiefs are threatening to make an early breakaway from the pack.

Thanks to some quirky scheduling and the results of the first two weekends, the AFC West race is coming into sharper focus than you’d expect this early in the season. Simply put, the Broncos need to beat the Chiefs to set their playoff sights above the wild-card level. The Chiefs have a terrific opportunity to leave the rest of the division in the dust.

The Chiefs, 2-0, lead the Broncos by a game and the Raiders and Chargers each by two games. A Chiefs’ loss at Denver would tie them with the Broncos for first place, but a win would leave the Chiefs at least two games ahead of everybody else.

The Chargers are a good bet to break the ice at home against the Giants. But it’s hard to like the chances of the Raiders to return from Philadelphia any better than 0-3. The 2004 Chiefs could tell you how deep a hole that would be.

The early stretch of the Chiefs’ schedule not long ago seemed like a curse but now seems like more of a blessing. Especially if they can win in Denver. Not only would they have a healthy lead, but they’ll already have played two of their three AFC West road games.

Even after the Chiefs get through their brutal first four games, which which conclude with a visit by the Eagles, they play two out of the next three games on the road. They visit San Diego on October 30, which means their division road games will be finished before Halloween. They come home the next week to play the Raiders, which means the Chiefs’ last eight games will include only two division games. Both will be at home.

The Chiefs will be tough to catch if they escape from Denver with a win. Because each division game involves a two-game swing, any team trying to catch the leader wants a head-to-head matchup, especially at home. In a perfect scheduling world, the final weeks would be packed with dramatic division games in a nip-and-tuck AFC West race.

The Chiefs’ schedule was set up that way last year, when five of the Chiefs’ last six games were against division opponents. Unfortunately for the Chiefs, they’d already played themselves out of the race by then.

This year, the Chiefs’ only late-season games in the division are at home — against the Broncos on December 4 and the Chargers on Christmas Eve. If those teams are still trying to catch the Chiefs by then, they’ll have to make up ground the hard way.

It’s tough to win AFC West games on the road and the Chiefs on Monday night will face their toughest road test of the season. For four straight years, the Chiefs have lost in Denver as their defense was shredded by the Broncos’ running attack. The Chiefs can expect the Broncos’ best shot and the crowd will be loud and crazy, especially on a Monday night.

Yet the Chiefs couldn’t pick a better point in their schedule to try for an upset in Denver. Though the Chiefs’ offense surely would benefit from having tackle Willie Roaf healthy, the key to the Chiefs’ chances will be whether they finally slow down the Broncos’ backs. The Chiefs’ defense has been playing at a high level, and it should get even higher with so many talented new players still blending in.

The Broncos, on the other hand, have yet to play impressively. They were clobbered in Miami and barely defeated the Chargers at home. But the Broncos may be less than awed after watching film of the Chiefs’ imperfect win at Oakland.

But you can bet that neither the Broncos nor Chiefs has played its best football yet. They’d better do so Monday night because the AFC West race starts —and could end – early this year.

There is still a lot of season left and we haven't played San Diego (German for- Whale's vagina), but it would put the rest of the AFC West in kind of a hole for the time being. And even if we don't win, we will still be in good shape.

Warrior5
09-22-2005, 10:58 AM
There is still a lot of season left and we haven't played San Diego (German for- Whale's vagina), but...

WTH? ROFL

Chiefs Pantalones
09-22-2005, 11:02 AM
WTH? ROFL

You didn't know that?

DJJasonp
09-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Anchorman!

You know...."we'll just have to agree to disagree..."

htismaqe
09-22-2005, 11:05 AM
You've never seen "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy".

"Go **** yourself, San Diego."

KChiefs1
09-22-2005, 11:05 AM
The early stretch of the Chiefs’ schedule not long ago seemed like a curse but now seems like more of a blessing. Especially if they can win in Denver. Not only would they have a healthy lead, but they’ll already have played two of their three AFC West road games.

I hope the Chiefs are thinking that this is a "must win" game for them...they could really control the division with a win. :)

philfree
09-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Playing these two early night games is a blessing in that this is the time of year that the heat usually effects the endurance of the players. With alot of our vets only doing 1-a-days in trainning camp playing on these cool nights is just what the doctor ordered.

PhilFree:arrow:

ptlyon
09-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Playing these two early night games is a blessing in that this is the time of year that the heat usually effects the endurance of the players. With alot of our vets only doing 1-a-days in trainning camp playing on these cool nights is just what the doctor ordered.

Yeah, and out of shape guys going up a mile into the thin air helps.

cdcox
09-22-2005, 11:20 AM
In this kind of situation, in which one NFL team can establish clear dominance over a competitive rival, it seems that more often than not the team on the ropes pulls out the win. I'm just not seeing any AFC west team getting such a commanding lead so early in the season. I hope I am wrong.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-22-2005, 11:23 AM
In this kind of situation, in which one NFL team can establish clear dominance over a competitive rival, it seems that more often than not the team on the ropes pulls out the win. I'm just not seeing any AFC west team getting such a commanding lead so early in the season. I hope I am wrong.

In order to maintain the lead, we would have to not only beat our division foes, but the majority of the other teams on our schedule. It doesn't stop at beating the "mighty" Broncos and Raiders on two straight weeks. I'll be impressed if we win Monday night, because we never win there it seems. I'll be even more impressed if we beat the Eagles the next week, because they are a much better team.

philfree
09-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Yeah, and out of shape guys going up a mile into the thin air helps.

So would it be better to go up there with the sun beating down and the temapture above 90 degrees?

ptlyon
09-22-2005, 11:32 AM
So would it be better to go up there with the sun beating down and the temapture above 90 degrees?

There never is a condusive time to go into Pile High.

htismaqe
09-22-2005, 11:36 AM
I agree with Rand.

We're 2-0 and confident. We may still lose, but this is a perfect time to play them IMO.

philfree
09-22-2005, 11:36 AM
There never is a condusive time to go into Pile High.

Yeah but we gotta do it so why not look at what is a small positive?

ptlyon
09-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Yeah but we gotta do it so why not look at what is a small positive?

Because I hate that place.

philfree
09-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Because I hate that place.

ROFL Ooo.K.

penchief
09-22-2005, 01:20 PM
IMO, this is an insightful and well written piece.

Defensively, we are gaining confidence.

If we beat Denver on Monday we will be 2-0 in the division while having played both games on the road. That's nice.

I really wished SD would have beaten Denver last week because Marty's schedule is absolutely brutal.

Considering that we have a home game in week 4 and it won't be long until Roaf, Dunn, and Warfield are all back....I'll be super-duper happy if we win Monday at the Brown Cows.

How now? Easy. LJ and the Priest.

Garcia Bronco
09-22-2005, 01:30 PM
You've never seen "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy".

"Go **** yourself, San Diego."

"Public News Team is taking time off from it's telethon to kick a little ass. We got no commercials...and no MERCY!"

StcChief
09-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Also. Playing in Dungver on MNF could be alright.

If this was at Arrowhead could be a little wet.

With Rita expected to be near SE Oklahoma /Texas/Arkansas border. Straight south KC.

Depending on rain ahead of it.

Frankie
09-22-2005, 03:19 PM
I hope the Chiefs are thinking that this is a "must win" game for them...they could really control the division with a win. :)

I hope the Chiefs are thinking that any game is a "must win" game for them here on out. If we beat Denver we have to compete, not with the rest of the AFC west, but with the Colts and the Steelers. The stakes will be raised. So should the team attitude.