PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: Lost in the Victory (An interesting read)

Lzen
09-23-2005, 07:25 AM
Sep 23, 2005, 6:20:39 AM by Bob Gretz

There’s so much talk about the Chiefs quick jump to a 2-0 start and the improved play of the defense, that the best performance by a Kansas City offense over the last five years has been overlooked.

What’s that you say? “Best” performance? When?

It happened last Sunday night in Oakland.

What?

OK, I know you’re thinking Gretz got hold of some bad mushrooms or something this week. The Chiefs only scored two touchdowns in their victory over the Raiders. They managed 354 yards and 17 first downs; those are pedestrian numbers for an offense that has been breaking records for the last three seasons.

All that is true, but I still maintain what the Chiefs did with the ball against the Raiders was as masterful a performance as when they ran for eight touchdowns against Atlanta, or came from behind in the fourth quarter and beat the Packers in Green Bay, or when they matched Indianapolis touchdown for touchdown in the playoffs or in the 2004 regular season.

To understand, I must tell you the “rest of the story” one that has gotten much play in the local fish wrap, or among the tin throats and hairdos. You see, the Chiefs beat the Raiders with an offensive game plan that was obsolete after the first play.

All through the pre-season and into last week, the Chiefs had prepared for a Raiders defense that was going to have a 3-4 look. Yes, they knew and prepared for some sub-defenses that included a four-man line. But all through the pre-season and in the opener against New England, Oakland had lined up doing rather conventional things.

That’s not what the Chiefs saw on the field last Sunday night. From almost the first play, the Raiders completely changed how they played defense. They played most of the game in what amounted to a 4-2-5 alignment. Oakland’s primary defense against the Chiefs was a nickel set, where Charles Woodson was no longer a cornerback, but a safety, and where the NFL’s biggest man Ted Washington was on the field not only for running plays, but passing plays as well.

In effect, everything the Chiefs had planned to do on offense was now up for debate, because the mismatches, the situations that offensive coordinator Al Saunders had prepared for and nurtured all the way back to the off-season, were now out the window.

“Of all the games we’ve played here in the last five years, I can’t remember a game offensively where we had to work so hard from series to series to get ourselves on track,” Saunders said.

“They had five new starters in the game on defense. All the mismatches, all the shifting and motion that we use to try and get match ups in our favor; they all evolved in a different way.

“After every series, we had to evaluate where we were going, what we wanted to do, how we were going to alter our attack.”

There were other factors as well. Willie Roaf wasn’t on the field at left tackle. Another veteran offensive lineman John Welbourn wasn’t a factor because of a league suspension. Kevin Sampson had not played since the opening pre-season game. Tony Richardson, a key part of the Chiefs running game as the blocking fullback was available on a limited basis because of a knee injury. Then, in the first half, tight end Jason Dunn went down with a knee injury. Dunn is a huge part of the Chiefs running game and though he came back and played in the second half, he wasn’t close to being 100 percent..

Key players were missing or limited in their participation. Not only was the opponent fired up and extra-motivated, but they were playing a style of defense completely different than the one they played 10 days before. The crowd was loud and hostile, and that doesn’t include Sterling Sharpe in the broadcast booth.

It was a recipe for disaster. It was anything but; it was the offense’s finest hour. Saunders and offensive line coach Mike Solari, who handles the running game, made changes on the fly, throwing out plays that had been practiced and going with plays that had never reached the game plan.

“We had several passes there in the second half that we haven’t repped on the practice field since training camp,” said Saunders.

On the field, the players adapted.

“It took us awhile, but we finally just told them to tell us what to do, and we would do it,” said guard Brian Waters. “There was nothing out there that was anything that we had prepared for. We were adjusting from the first play.

“The best part was that nobody got upset, nobody got ticked off. We had some penalties and we had things that got in our way.

“I’ll tell you, Trent did a great job of keeping everything together in the huddle.”

If you wonder why Trent Green received the offensive game ball for the Oakland game – when he didn’t throw a touchdown pass and barely broke 90 in the passer rating – it’s because of how he orchestrated the offensive madness.

“It was a constantly stream of adjustments,” Green said. “We had to change our approach. We had to change our passing game.”

Instead of relying on the play-action game, Green came out in the second half and started throwing quick passes on slants to Eddie Kennison. Bang, bang, bang, for 14 yards, then another 14, and another 14. Woodson, a cornerback talented enough to jump those slants and bust them up, was out of the action around the line of scrimmage, because he was generally concerned with covering Tony Gonzalez in the middle of the field. Ever so slowly, those passes started opening up holes to exploit in the new Raiders defense.

Penalties (back-to-back holding calls on Jordan Black at left tackle in the red zone), dropped passes (Samie Parker), a fumble (Parker) kept the Chiefs out of the end zone. They had to settle for a pair of field goals.

But they did what any team with a 17-10 half-time lead on the road would want: they dominated the clock. The Chiefs held the ball for 19 minutes, 56 seconds in the second half. When the Raiders scored to tie the game in the third quarter, the Chiefs then kept the ball for the next nine minutes. Yes, they got only a field goal out of the possession, but they stopped any momentum that was building in the Raiders favor.

By then, Saunders and Solari had figured out the right combinations against the new Oakland look. Green kept everybody together in the huddle.

“I’m so proud of the players, the way they stuck together, the way they had patience and confidence in what they were doing,” said Saunders. “They kept working, and working, and working. They didn’t get frustrated, they just kept working.”

It was a performance that called for the Chiefs to reach for something extra on offense. Thanks to their scheme and the creativity of the coaching staff, thanks to their maturity as a group and thanks to the level-headed nature of their quarterback, they had that something extra.

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/09/23/gretz_lost_in_the_victory/

dirk digler
09-23-2005, 07:29 AM
Awesome article and something that as fans we may have never known.

teedubya
09-23-2005, 07:33 AM
thats very interesting... good to know that we can adjust. A Marty led team would have folded and whithered away into patheticness.

SCChief
09-23-2005, 07:34 AM
The most impressive thing I saw in that game was the time of possession in the 2nd half. Even if those two drives only netted field goals, they didn't leave a lot of time for the Faiders to score.

Mr. Kotter
09-23-2005, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the article, Lzen.

It's a side of the game that most fans never even consider; and even those who are watchin' it, never see.

jynni
09-23-2005, 07:43 AM
Even more impressive that they did it on the road in front of a very hostile crowd. That Raidersland crowd sounded nasty.

Rukdafaidas
09-23-2005, 07:44 AM
This explains a lot! :thumb:
I was worried about our offense after that game. It looked as though there was some confusion between the receivers and Trent. I thought they all looked a little confused.
I also wondered why Trent got the game ball. I thought it was one of his worst performances in quite some time.

Mecca
09-23-2005, 07:47 AM
That would explain why we called 2 timeouts in the first 5 minutes of the game, while all of us wondered what the hell they were doing.

Lzen
09-23-2005, 07:53 AM
I also wondered why Trent got the game ball. I thought it was one of his worst performances in quite some time.

Are you serious?

Otter
09-23-2005, 07:54 AM
The crowd was loud and hostile, and that doesn’t include Sterling Sharpe in the broadcast booth.

Hehe

Fish
09-23-2005, 08:03 AM
I really thought we had something special going in this game. We had some long drives that were hard fought on every down. There were some huge 3rd down plays by many different guys. Johnson struggled a little, but Holmes showed that no matter who we play, I'm still gonna do what needs done. I've never been more proud of Holmes than I was when he got that 14yd 1st down to put the game away....

Kylo Ren
09-23-2005, 08:05 AM
Instead of relying on the play-action game, Green came out in the second half and started throwing quick passes on slants to Eddie Kennison. Bang, bang, bang, for 14 yards, then another 14, and another 14. Woodson, a cornerback talented enough to jump those slants and bust them up, was out of the action around the line of scrimmage, because he was generally concerned with covering Tony Gonzalez in the middle of the field. Ever so slowly, those passes started opening up holes to exploit in the new Raiders defense.
-- Why didn't Sterling Sharpe talk about this?

Red Dawg
09-23-2005, 08:10 AM
VERY VERY INFORMATIVE. No wonder it looked crazy.

Rukdafaidas
09-23-2005, 08:11 AM
Are you serious?
Yeah, a lot of the passes downfield looked way off to me. I'm now thinking the receivers were off on their routes. I've grown accustomed to Trent being deadly accurate on passes from 15-25 yards and he wasn't that night.
They started using the quick pass plays to compensate.

Skip Towne
09-23-2005, 08:12 AM
I give all the credit to Rich Scanlon.

beer bacon
09-23-2005, 08:13 AM
I really thought we had something special going in this game. We had some long drives that were hard fought on every down. There were some huge 3rd down plays by many different guys. Johnson struggled a little, but Holmes showed that no matter who we play, I'm still gonna do what needs done. I've never been more proud of Holmes than I was when he got that 14yd 1st down to put the game away....

We had lots of games last season where our offense couldn't close. Not only did our defense step up the first time the offense, in the form of Parker's fumble, gave the other team a chance to win, the second time the offense got the chance to close the game they did it. Our offense and defense both stepped up at the end of that game.

siberian khatru
09-23-2005, 08:15 AM
Fantastic stuff.

Radar Chief
09-23-2005, 08:15 AM
Yes, very interesting. This actually helps explain the timeout’s that I was scream’n at Trent for “wasting”. :redface:

KCTitus
09-23-2005, 08:43 AM
I dont know why Gretz is allways insulting the fans. What a shill.

the Talking Can
09-23-2005, 08:52 AM
nice..that's the kind of info I want from an article

the Talking Can
09-23-2005, 08:55 AM

:hmmm:

wtf?

the Talking Can
09-23-2005, 08:56 AM
We had lots of games last season where our offense couldn't close. Not only did our defense step up the first time the offense, in the form of Parker's fumble, gave the other team a chance to win, the second time the offense got the chance to close the game they did it. Our offense and defense both stepped up at the end of that game.

yeah, we had a couple of games last year where we only needed 1 more first down...we got that first down in Oakland

dirk digler
09-23-2005, 09:00 AM

You tell him to Carl. Geez.

foxman
09-23-2005, 09:07 AM
This explains a lot! :thumb:
I was worried about our offense after that game. It looked as though there was some confusion between the receivers and Trent. I thought they all looked a little confused.

I was thinking the same. I was like, well aint this special, we finaly have some defense and the wheels fall off for the offense.

Nice to know it wasnt just a bad day.

Katie
09-23-2005, 09:13 AM
It's nice to finally read an article that actually tells us something we didn't know! More of this in the future, please!

petegz28
09-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Even more impressive that they did it on the road in front of a very hostile crowd. That Raidersland crowd sounded nasty.

And even more impressive than that is we didn't wait until half-time to start making our adjustments. We did it ont he fly during the first half. That speaks in HUGE VOLUMES about our offense!

tiptap
09-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Change up in the defense. Well we should expect the same this Monday. Last year it was Bailey covering TG. It is clear that teams are trying to throw curves at the offense. Don't give them the same look they have in previous weeks on defense. They know they will get outcoached in preperation if they don't change the match ups. You can't just line up and go at the offense and have success as a defensive team. (Look at the Buffalo, Atlanta and NYJ games of good defenses but with no change in the defense and got whipped.) So we will need the same effort early from our defense to give time for our offense to feel their way toward the keys for the Denver plan.

Chief Henry
09-23-2005, 09:35 AM
That would explain why we called 2 timeouts in the first 5 minutes of the game, while all of us wondered what the hell they were doing.

Nice work by Gretz. This does explain those quick time out calls.

I'm getting happy feet for this club. Making adjustments on the fly
like this has just increased my opinion of this team.

Mr. Kotter
09-23-2005, 09:44 AM

Because some of our fans act like babies, or worse?

Because many of our casual fans have little football knowledge? :shrug:

mikey23545
09-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Man, this article is one of the best I've seen out of any of the KC writers.....Hats off to Gretz...

ct
09-23-2005, 10:54 AM
That 3rd qtr drive, immediately after Moss' big TD to tie the game, was HUGE!! The crowd was wild, and we patiently, methodically, matriculated down the field. We only netted a FG, and of course Sterling declared a Raider victory for that possession, but this, IMHO, was the defining drive of the game! They came back on us, and had everything goin for them, and we took it right away from them. They never scored again.

Great article from Gretz! Honestly, and I know this'll sound drama queen-ish, but this is exactly the kind of game that just flat out makes a team believe!!! I sure hope so...

Radar Chief
09-23-2005, 10:58 AM
That 3rd qtr drive, immediately after Moss' big TD to tie the game, was HUGE!! The crowd was wild, and we patiently, methodically, matriculated down the field. We only netted a FG, and of course Sterling declared a Raider victory for that possession, but this, IMHO, was the defining drive of the game! They came back on us, and had everything goin for them, and we took it right away from them. They never scored again.

Great article from Gretz! Honestly, and I know this'll sound drama queen-ish, but this is exactly the kind of game that just flat out makes a team believe!!! I sure hope so...

Invoking classic Stram rep. :thumb:

trndobrd
09-23-2005, 11:05 AM
I call :BS:

Those two long drives by the Chiefs offense were victories for the Raiders defense.....Sterling said so.

ct
09-23-2005, 11:07 AM
Invoking classic Stram rep. :thumb:

Why thank you! Glad you liked it! :)

Frankie
09-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Sep 23, 2005, 6:20:39 AM by Bob Gretz

It was a recipe for disaster. It was anything but; it was the offense’s finest hour. Saunders and offensive line coach Mike Solari, who handles the running game, made changes on the fly, throwing out plays that had been practiced and going with plays that had never reached the game plan.

Exactly why both of those coaches should be kept in KC next year at any cost. Saunders should be the next HC.

Frankie
09-23-2005, 11:28 AM
thats very interesting... good to know that we can adjust. A Marty led team would have folded and whithered away into patheticness.

The inability to adjust was, by far, my biggest point of frustration with Marty and his teams.
:banghead:

Frankie
09-23-2005, 11:30 AM
I give all the credit to Rich Scanlon.
ROFL

Frankie
09-23-2005, 11:32 AM
And even more impressive than that is we didn't wait until half-time to start making our adjustments. We did it ont he fly during the first half. That speaks in HUGE VOLUMES about our offense!
True dat. We have some brainy guys running the 'O.'

cdcox
09-23-2005, 12:03 PM
MICHAEL

That's a terrific story. And we have newspaper people on the payroll, don't

we, Tom?

[Hagen nods in the affirmative]

And they might like a story like that.

HAGEN

They might, they just might...

B_Ambuehl
09-23-2005, 12:20 PM
I am very glad to read this information because I was sitting here Monday night watching the game and wondering why nobody on the offensive side of the football was getting out of the huddle with much perceivable confidence or acting like they knew what the hell was going on in the first half. Knowing Al Saunders, Vermeil, Trent Green and the mental aptitude of the offensive line, and not knowing the situation, this observation greatly concerned me. I have the utmost confidence in this offense to out-execute their opposition and this article reaffirms this belief.

Dark Horse
09-23-2005, 12:51 PM
I can't believe none of you has stated the obvious. Randy Moss is the reason the Offence was able to adjust on the fly.Just his presence on the field raises the level of play for everyone, even the officials are better when he is playing.

HemiEd
09-23-2005, 12:58 PM
Enjoyable read, great perspective.

Lzen
09-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Yes, very interesting. This actually helps explain the timeout’s that I was scream’n at Trent for “wasting”. :redface:

I've come to the conclusion over the years of watching football that it is rarely the QB's fault for having to burn a timeout when the playclock is running out. It is usually the fault of the offensive coordinator and/or the head coach.

Lzen
09-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Change up in the defense. Well we should expect the same this Monday. Last year it was Bailey covering TG. It is clear that teams are trying to throw curves at the offense. Don't give them the same look they have in previous weeks on defense. They know they will get outcoached in preperation if they don't change the match ups. You can't just line up and go at the offense and have success as a defensive team. (Look at the Buffalo, Atlanta and NYJ games of good defenses but with no change in the defense and got whipped.) So we will need the same effort early from our defense to give time for our offense to feel their way toward the keys for the Denver plan.

The thing about it is that the Raiduhs had 10 days to make those preparations. It's not that easy most weeks because teams don't have that extra time.

Hammock Parties
09-23-2005, 01:06 PM
I thought it was one of his worst performances in quite some time.

What a load of crap.

Lzen
09-23-2005, 01:07 PM
The inability to adjust was, by far, my biggest point of frustration with Marty and his teams.
:banghead:

I thought we had some defenses that made good halftime adjustments during Marty's tenure. But the offenses did not.

NewChief
09-23-2005, 01:16 PM
I've come to the conclusion over the years of watching football that it is rarely the QB's fault for having to burn a timeout when the playclock is running out. It is usually the fault of the offensive coordinator and/or the head coach.

Yup. Either that or the headsets malfunctioning. I think it's usually due to the OC getting the playcall in too late, though.

runnercyclist
09-23-2005, 05:40 PM

Kinda like SD did after the Burros adjusted at halftime Sunday...

tiptap
09-23-2005, 05:59 PM
The thing about it is that the Raiduhs had 10 days to make those preparations. It's not that easy most weeks because teams don't have that extra time.

It is not the 10 days but the off season preparation one goes through for the division rivals. Oakland and the rest of the AFC west have made special plans for each of the other rival teams. Just like Denver did the first time we met last year by putting Bailey on TG. Two years ago we got that screwy inverse wishbone on offense from the Broncos. Their offense will have a few new wrinkles just like our offense all concieved in the preseason practices.

tk13
09-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Really cool story. Pretty good work by little Buddy Ryan over in Oakland to throw us for a loop, and an even better job of our coaching staff of reacting. We've got some wicked smaht offensive coaches.

Hammock Parties
09-23-2005, 06:15 PM
We've got some wicked smaht offensive coaches.

NOOOOOOOMAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

jettio
09-23-2005, 08:04 PM
That was a pretty good article from Gretz, and pretty amazing really considering all of the chili on his keyboard.

bringbackmarty
09-24-2005, 07:34 PM
thats very interesting... good to know that we can adjust. A Marty led team would have folded and whithered away into patheticness.a marty led team wouldn't have given up that touchdown to moss, and would have sacked collins on that play, because a marty led team has a pass rush. but I agree that if we won it would be by only one point.

Frankie
09-24-2005, 10:51 PM
a marty led team wouldn't have given up that touchdown to moss, and would have sacked collins on that play, because a marty led team has a pass rush. but I agree that if we won it would be by only one point.
So are you saying that Schottenheimer's Chiefs NEVER gave up a big play?

the Talking Can
09-25-2005, 03:34 AM
a marty led team wouldn't have given up that touchdown to moss, and would have sacked collins on that play, because a marty led team has a pass rush. but I agree that if we won it would be by only one point.

right...let's cue the tape from the Broncos/Chargers game.....

milkman
09-25-2005, 07:26 AM

A Martyocre team would not have scored against that defense.

But then they would not have to, since no team in their right mind would make such drastic changes to their defensive scheme to try to slow down the most predictable offense in the NFL.