PDA

View Full Version : Ed Hartwell a bust?

FloridaMan88
09-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Interesting tidbit about Ed Hartwell from Pastabelly's column on ESPN.com today:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2169989&num=7

Early returns: It's only two games, but some people are beginning to wonder if the Falcons overpaid new middle linebacker Ed Hartwell, their most significant free-agent acquisition in the offseason. The former Ravens starter hasn't done a lot yet and Atlanta gave him $8 million in bonuses as part of a six-year, $26.25 million deal. Oddly, that came after the Falcons pursued Eagles middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter, but couldn't get him when general manager Rich McKay decided he didn't want to pay more than $2.5 million per year for a player who's only on the field for first and second down. Notably, Hartwell doesn't play in the "sub" defenses, either. Sounds suspiciously like one of those deals in which Falcons owner Arthur Blank wanted a player a little more than some of his football people did.

Hammock Parties
09-23-2005, 07:21 PM
He's got 9 tackles and their run D has not been that great.

Dammit Blank!

the Talking Can
09-23-2005, 07:28 PM
dammit Carl!1!!!!1111

nychief
09-23-2005, 08:02 PM
If Ed Hartwell is a bust, what is Kendrel Bell?

KS-Surveyor
09-23-2005, 08:48 PM
What's wrong with 3 tackles in 2 games?

patteeu
09-23-2005, 08:50 PM

Healthy, contributing to a defensive revival, and far cheaper than Hartwell, despite the hand-wringing and groaning of many chiefs fans during the preseason.

And as for Hartwell, he had 8 tackles (5 solo) in his first game so I think it's early to call him a bust (as much as I'd like to see that).

nascher
09-23-2005, 09:02 PM
Bells making 500k this Season !!! And his contract allows the Chiefs to cut him without hurting the Cap much !!!

nychief
09-23-2005, 09:04 PM
Bells making 500k this Season !!! And his contract allows the Chiefs to cut him without hurting the Cap much !!!

Is this true!!! huh!!!

Abba-Dabba
09-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Healthy, contributing to a defensive revival, and far cheaper than Hartwell, despite the hand-wringing and groaning of many chiefs fans during the preseason.

And as for Hartwell, he had 8 tackles (5 solo) in his first game so I think it's early to call him a bust (as much as I'd like to see that).

In the first game Hartwell had 1 solo, in the 2nd he had 5 solo/3 assist.

Wallcrawler
09-23-2005, 11:28 PM
While it is early in the season, you would still expect a guy being paid that much money to be a presence on the field at all times, and be a playmaker for his team in every game.

I cant fathom how he is making that much cash, when he doesnt even participate in the sub defenses. I would think that if youre making that much money, you should be a lot more involved with the team than just 1st and 2nd down.

Comparing the two players right now at this point in the season, Kawika Mitchell has played very well, at a helluva lot less money.

Pitt Gorilla
09-23-2005, 11:48 PM
I can't believe that Chiefs fans wanted us to sign the guy. Even if he is an outstanding run stopper, he's only a two down player; it should be noted that we knew that going in. I don't understand why we should have thrown mad jack at a guy who is basically Tracy Simien.

tk13
09-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Gun kinda put him down a couple weeks ago. Said in an article that he was a good player and all, but he "shook a lot of hands". Didn't have the attitude Gun wanted from his MLB.

tk13
09-23-2005, 11:59 PM
“I had specific questions I was asking everybody we brought in about this situation,” Cunningham said. “ ‘Do you think you can come here and be the man and take control of this or that?’

“(Linebacker) Ed Hartwell came in and shook a lot of hands. I didn’t want a handshake. I want guys to come in here and knock other people on their butts. He’s a fine football player. I wouldn’t say anything bad about his ability. But he can’t run like I want our guys to run. That was a big deal to me."

keg in kc
09-24-2005, 12:19 AM
I remember that Gun quote, and the part that stood out to me was something I heard from certain national guys at the time we were courting all the LBs: "he can’t run like I want our guys to run."

It's too early to label him a bust, or label Mitchell, Bell or DJ as successes. But it sure looks like we made the right choices.

SCChief
09-24-2005, 12:23 AM

From what I have seen of the games this season, I have gotten the impression that teams are running away from Bell and challenging DJ (which has, for the most part, blown up in their faces). Once DJ gains a little respect in the league, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bell's numbers go up as people try to stay away from DJ.

Rausch
09-24-2005, 12:39 AM

1/2 a step slower than DJ...

Joe Seahawk
09-24-2005, 01:35 AM
Len Pastabelli show..

http://www.softycentral.com/ssnds2005/050923.fbf_lenp.ram

Clayton show.. (from Tuesday) http://www.softycentral.com/ssnds2005/050920.clayton.ram

the Talking Can
09-24-2005, 04:42 AM
unlike Bell, Hartwell didn't rip his sleeves off during the interview....advantage Bell....

jspchief
09-24-2005, 07:00 AM
Jeesus. It's been two games and the guy is already a bust. I guess no one remembers the way Green started in KC.

I know the homers want him to be a failure to ease the blow of missing out on him, but this is fricking ridiculous.

patteeu
09-24-2005, 07:38 AM
In the first game Hartwell had 1 solo, in the 2nd he had 5 solo/3 assist.

Thanks for the correction. :)

Deberg_1990
09-24-2005, 07:52 AM
It's too early to label him a bust, or label Mitchell, Bell or DJ as successes. But it sure looks like we made the right choices.

So is it time for a "Congrats Carl" I cant beleive i just said that????

Deberg_1990
09-24-2005, 07:53 AM
Jeesus. It's been two games and the guy is already a bust. I guess no one remembers the way Green started in KC.

Exactly.....both Green and Priest as well. Everyone thought Priest was a bust until that 3rd game against the Redskins in 2001.