PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica season finale discussion thread

DenverChief
09-23-2005, 11:10 PM
So I have missed most of this season due to work schedule and not having TiVo anymore...but anywya I just turned it on....so what do you make of them meeting up with the Admirals fleet? could it be cylon?

DenverChief
09-23-2005, 11:18 PM
The Pegasus....seems kind of odd

Uncle_Ted
09-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Holy frak that was an incredible episode! Once again these guys hit the ball out of the park. Proves that in an era of reality-show garbage, there is still an outlet for quality writing and storytelling.

And whoever arranges the music deserves multiple Emmy's. Tonight was the second time this season I was stunned by the choice of music (tonight's opening sequence). The other time was the opening strings sequence in the forest on Kobol.

Pretty sure the new guys are not Cylons. I'm guessing that they stay true to the original, meaning the Pegasus will "disappear" trying to take out the "mystery" Cylon ship that they are doing recon on. Leave it a hanging question whether it gets destroyed or does an emergency jump at the last minute to nowhere (as the Admiral said they did on the day the cylons attacked).

HolmeZz
09-23-2005, 11:26 PM
NERD ALERT.

DenverChief
09-23-2005, 11:32 PM
Holy frak that was an incredible episode! Once again these guys hit the ball out of the park. Proves that in an era of reality-show garbage, there is still an outlet for quality writing and storytelling.

And whoever arranges the music deserves multiple Emmy's. Tonight was the second time this season I was stunned by the choice of music (tonight's opening sequence). The other time was the opening strings sequence in the forest on Kobol.

Pretty sure the new guys are not Cylons. I'm guessing that they stay true to the original, meaning the Pegasus will "disappear" trying to take out the "mystery" Cylon ship that they are doing recon on. Leave it a hanging question whether it gets destroyed or does an emergency jump at the last minute to nowhere (as the Admiral said they did on the day the cylons attacked).

I never watched the Original with any regularity

DenverChief
09-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Damn I need to go buy the second season...the last episode I saw was when the fleet starting jumping away from galactica in support of the prez who had just escaped..

DenverChief
09-24-2005, 12:01 AM
NO EFFING WAY! What a way to leave you hanging! When does season 3 start? Man that was insane

keg in kc
09-24-2005, 12:13 AM
That "season finale" was just the end of the first half of season two. The second half of the season begins in January.

This season has been odd to me. I haven't liked most of the episodes as I viewed them the first time. But then I watch a second time and for some reason then I think they're great.

I had a lot of problems with tonight's episode. There were some good individual moments, but a lot of stuff just didn't feel right to me. Which is kind of the way I felt about the first half of the second season as a whole; it seems like they've lost something from season one. But then I watch a second time and it clicks more, for some reason. Probably the same with this episode.

And I hated the music, especially in the opening.

SCChief
09-24-2005, 12:15 AM
NO EFFING WAY! What a way to leave you hanging! When does season 3 start? Man that was insane

They said Season 3 begins in January.

Guess that means they are going to replay both seasons, as they replayed Season 1 between its finale and the premier of Season 2.

Truly a jaw-dropping ending. My wife and I were cursing.

Sci-fi really won with this one.

SCChief
09-24-2005, 12:18 AM
That "season finale" was just the end of the first half of season two. The second half of the season begins in January.

This season has been odd to me. I haven't liked most of the episodes as I viewed them the first time. But then I watch a second time and for some reason then I think they're great.

I had a lot of problems with tonight's episode. There were some good individual moments, but a lot of stuff just didn't feel right to me. Which is kind of the way I felt about the first half of the second season as a whole; it seems like they've lost something from season one. But then I watch a second time and it clicks more, for some reason. Probably the same with this episode.

And I hated the music, especially in the opening.

I hear ya. There were several times this season where my wife and I felt like something was missing after an episode, only to have it click the second time we watched it.

I personally think it is a testament to the character and plot development of the show, as it encourages people to want to see it over and over to see what minute details they missed which completely changed the meaning of the episode.

keg in kc
09-24-2005, 12:29 AM
My problem with this season is that the episodes feel rushed. And tonight's was the worst in that aspect. It's like they tried to cram a two-parter into 40 minutes. There was no build-up to the appearance of the Pegasus, Cain's takeover was abrupt, and in an instant the crew was split up, the lieutenant died trying to rape boomersharoncylon, the cylon "mystery ship" was introduced, then whiz-bang it's galactica versus pegasus. There were too many convenient plot devices. There was none of the paced build-up of tension that made last year so engrossing.

keg in kc
09-24-2005, 12:34 AM
Which, I should add, is probably a testament to just how great season one was. That's some of the best television ever made as far as I'm concerned.

SCChief
09-24-2005, 12:36 AM
My problem with this season is that the episodes feel rushed. And tonight's was the worst in that aspect. It's like they tried to cram a two-parter into 40 minutes. There was no build-up to the appearance of the Pegasus, Cain's takeover was abrupt, and in an instant the crew was split up, the lieutenant died trying to rape boomersharoncylon, the cylon "mystery ship" was introduced, then whiz-bang it's galactica versus pegasus. There were too many convenient plot devices. There was none of the paced build-up of tension that made last year so engrossing.

I guess I can see your point there. It did feel like they were cramming a lot of information into a brief explosion. It just didn't bother me.

I WOULD be interested to see if the new show is following the books that were written by Richard Hatch (Zarek in the TV show, and a member of the original Battlestar Galactica cast). Perhaps they are trying to follow the books, but are cutting details from them that they feel would slow down the show.

keg in kc
09-24-2005, 12:38 AM
I doubt it. I think the show is pretty much going where Ronald D. Moore wants it to go.

His podcasts on scifi.com are really interesting if you're into that sort of thing. http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/downloads/podcast/

My guess is that some of the things I don't like are things they're being told to do by the network. Like changing the open and crap like that. Some stuffed shirt probably told them the show was too meandering and it needed to be more like stargate. More action, more flash, more pazaaz, less of this touchy-feely "character" stuff.

Which isn't a slam, I also watch stargate, it's just a completely different style of show...

Hammock Parties
09-24-2005, 12:43 AM
Just another bloody Star Wars ripoff.

Hammock Parties
09-24-2005, 12:43 AM
Heck, it's a REHASH of a bloody star wars ripoff.

SCChief
09-24-2005, 12:44 AM
I doubt it. I think the show is pretty much going where Ronald D. Moore wants it to go.

His podcasts on scifi.com are really interesting if you're into that sort of thing. http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/downloads/podcast/

My guess is that some of the things I don't like are things they're being told to do by the network. Like changing the open and crap like that. Some stuffed shirt probably told them the show was too meandering and it needed to be more like stargate. More action, more flash, more pazaaz, less of this touchy-feely "character" stuff.

Which isn't a slam, I also watch stargate, it's just a completely different style of show...

Well... they actually listened to the fans to turn the mini-series into an actual series.

I guess that it was inevitable that they would allow the corporate mindset to change things later.

Still one of the best shows on TV, but you raise some good points about certain parts.

keg in kc
09-24-2005, 12:45 AM
I wouldn't call the original a ripoff, exactly, but it never would have aired if Star Wars hadn't been so successful, not much doubt about that.

Which didn't do it a whole lot of good, getting cancelled after one season.

And the only rehash is that the characters have the same names. The show is about as far removed from the original as a show can be. It'd be like making a new M*A*S*H, keeping all the characters names, but then having them stationed in Iraq and putting the show on FX after the shield.

SCChief
09-24-2005, 12:48 AM
Heck, it's a REHASH of a bloody star wars ripoff.

Have to disagree there. The only things that may possibly be even close are the SLIGHT similarities between Stormtroopers and the early Cylons. Star Wars is more science fantasy than science fiction. Pretty clear elements of good vs. evil.

BSG is science fiction pure and simple, and walks more of a grey line.

Don't get me wrong... I am a HUGE Star Wars fan. But I just don't think there is, or ever was, a comparison between the two.

Hammock Parties
09-24-2005, 01:00 AM
But I just don't think there is, or ever was, a comparison between the two.

Well, I haven't watched the new one, but the old one had so many similarities, Lucasfilm sued.

tiptap
09-24-2005, 06:34 AM
In the original Battlestar Galactica, the fleet also met up with another surviving Battlestar much like this series finale. And again they changed the gender of the players and I really like this Ice Queen for an antagonist. You had a military ship isolated from civilian concerns, meeting up with the rag tag survivors of a civilization. But a civilization with more depth and potential than just a military focus.

Kraut
09-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Where is Dirk Benedict when you need him.....

4th and Long
09-24-2005, 09:44 AM
Where is Dirk Benedict when you need him.....
I believe he's busy promoting his new book, "Lt. Templeton "Faceman" Peck - The Real Backbone of The A-Team"
http://www.ateamshrine.co.uk/images/face1.jpghttp://www.ateamshrine.co.uk/images/face3.jpg http://www.ateamshrine.co.uk/images/face2.jpg

:p

Darkwolfe
09-24-2005, 09:48 AM
Just another bloody Star Wars ripoff.

Just shows that gochiefs hasn't watched it at all. But then again, this is the guy with the shrine to George Lucas.

I'm not knocking Star Wars, enjoyed it immensely. But there ARE other shows out there ya know.

DenverChief
09-24-2005, 10:16 AM
So how close does the new show really follow the old? I don't remember much about the old show

keg in kc
09-24-2005, 10:22 AM
So how close does the new show really follow the old? I don't remember much about the old showNot very much, so far. (I know the old show pretty well.)

Speaking of Dirk Benedict, one of Moore's original plans was to have the first season end with our heroes searching through a tomb for the cylon 'god'. He was going to have them open a final door, only to find Dirk Benedict sitting there in an armchair puffing on a stogie.

(seriously, he says it in one of the podcasts ROFL)

Adept Havelock
09-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Well, I haven't watched the new one, but the old one had so many similarities, Lucasfilm sued.

Sure did. And got laughed out of court.

Adept Havelock
09-24-2005, 10:33 AM
Not very much, so far. (I know the old show pretty well.)

Speaking of Dirk Benedict, one of Moore's original plans was to have the first season end with our heroes searching through a tomb for the cylon 'god'. He was going to have them open a final door, only to find Dirk Benedict sitting there in an armchair puffing on a stogie.

(seriously, he says it in one of the podcasts ROFL)

Shame it never made it as a "deleted scene" on the DVD's.

Would've been pretty frakin' funny. Yep. Hate the mid-season break too! :cuss: Cliffhangers!

Bowser
09-24-2005, 10:43 AM
So how close does the new show really follow the old? I don't remember much about the old show

Loosely. Characters are the same, but genders have changed. The Galactica found the Pegasus i the original as well, but those two crews got along great. And Admiral Kane was played by Lloyd Bridges, a far call from Michelle Forbes.

As for the finale, I don't know what to think of the Pegasus. My first inclination was to think that they are Cylon. Reason being that when the Cylons destryoed the colonies, they used the security codes gleaned by Six from Baltar to infiltrate the command codes of all things the humans used, including Battlestars, rendering everything defenseless. Galactica survived because Adama didn't believe in integrating his systems, just because of that possibility. That would mean Kane HAD to be doing the same thing with her Battlestar AND all of her Vipers. Then to make a blind FTL jump and wind up unscathed is extremely lucky. Not to mention how they randomly "find" the fleet, just ahead of a Cylon attack force? Coincidental, for sure.

I figured that the Cylons salvaged a Battlestar and her squadrons, or set up some huge factory to construct them (they would have the blueprints for such things now that they have complete control of the colonies). Maybe that is what the mystery BaseStar is?

But on the other hand, the Cylons would have to create how many thousands of different types of human looking Cylons to pull it off, and mimic Admiral Kane perfectly? Plus, when she ordered her alert fighters to engage Galacticas oncoming force, noone looked happy at all about it.

This was the best episode of the season. I agree with Keg that season 2 hasn't lived up to what season 1 produced, but that would be asking a ton to hit back-to-back grand slams at your first two at bats. Plus, the music was strange, but I liked it. Somehow it just fit.

DenverChief
09-24-2005, 10:48 AM
So what is going to happen next? My gut feeling is that the cylons are going to show up and since both battlestars have their attack squadrons out they will have to forget about each other....course I could be way off base

keg in kc
09-24-2005, 10:51 AM
I don't think they're all cylons onboard Pegasus, but I'm sure there's a few of the 12 models onboard. Just like Galactica.

The interesting part to me was the cylon fleet apparently shadowing the colonial fleet. That begs the question of 'why?' As in "why are they following?" or "why don't they destroy them?" which is probably the most important question from the entire episode, which plays right into the entire "WTF are the cylons doing?" mythos that's been going on throughout the series.

Bowser
09-24-2005, 10:58 AM
I don't think they're all cylons onboard Pegasus, but I'm sure there's a few of the 12 models onboard. Just like Galactica.

The interesting part to me was the cylon fleet apparently shadowing the colonial fleet. That begs the question of 'why?' As in "why are they following?" or "why don't they destroy them?" which is probably the most important question from the entire episode, which plays right into the entire "WTF are the cylons doing?" mythos that's been going on throughout the series.

I'm convinced Baltar is a Cylon, and they are tracking the fleet through him. And if he's NOT a Cylon, he has some kind of chip/implant in him so that Six can appear when she wants and to track him with. They have stayed connected just enough with the old series to make me believe this.

As to why, hell, that could go any number of different directions. To study them? For sport? Maybe to find Earth and wipe all of those humans out as well? That question is going to be a long time coming for an answer.

morphius
09-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Actually in the original I thought there was some tension between the two groups, and like that one the Pegasus' crew was still fighting the war as they had only them selves to worry about where as Galactica had to worry about a fleet of unarmed ships and was working on the survival of everyone they could.

I never thought about it being a cylon ship, since there are not enough models of cylon to fill a ship and they haven't had enough time to build them up, because if they could have done that they would have wiped everyone out long ago by having them on the planets.

DenverChief
09-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Loosely. Characters are the same, but genders have changed. The Galactica found the Pegasus i the original as well, but those two crews got along great. And Admiral Kane was played by Lloyd Bridges, a far call from Michelle Forbes.

As for the finale, I don't know what to think of the Pegasus. My first inclination was to think that they are Cylon. Reason being that when the Cylons destryoed the colonies, they used the security codes gleaned by Six from Baltar to infiltrate the command codes of all things the humans used, including Battlestars, rendering everything defenseless. Galactica survived because Adama didn't believe in integrating his systems, just because of that possibility. That would mean Kane HAD to be doing the same thing with her Battlestar AND all of her Vipers. Then to make a blind FTL jump and wind up unscathed is extremely lucky. Not to mention how they randomly "find" the fleet, just ahead of a Cylon attack force? Coincidental, for sure.

I figured that the Cylons salvaged a Battlestar and her squadrons, or set up some huge factory to construct them (they would have the blueprints for such things now that they have complete control of the colonies). Maybe that is what the mystery BaseStar is?

But on the other hand, the Cylons would have to create how many thousands of different types of human looking Cylons to pull it off, and mimic Admiral Kane perfectly? Plus, when she ordered her alert fighters to engage Galacticas oncoming force, noone looked happy at all about it.

Well I thought the tracking cylon jumps when Pegasus figured out the cylons were jump-following Galactica (remember the jump every 30 minutes episode?) was an acceptable "excuse" for finding Galactica. I was a little perplexed at how they managed to get away without being hacked into uselessness, maybe the jump was "in the nick of time" ....I can understand jumping blind, while it wasn't smart neither was sitting aound waiting to get destroyed

morphius
09-24-2005, 11:02 AM
So what is going to happen next? My gut feeling is that the cylons are going to show up and since both battlestars have their attack squadrons out they will have to forget about each other....course I could be way off base
I was wondering if the President would step in. I'm expeting the Pegasus to follow the Presidents order, but just like the other show will leave the fleat to fight on their own again.

DenverChief
09-24-2005, 11:04 AM
I was wondering if the President would step in. I'm expeting the Pegasus to follow the Presidents order, but just like the other show will leave the fleat to fight on their own again.

ahh yes...I hadn't thought about that....maybe she declares the military tribunal invalid in favor of a civilian trial? Or invokes the "Gods" ....who the heck really knows but a good alternative

SCChief
09-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Well I thought the tracking cylon jumps when Pegasus figured out the cylons were jump-following Galactica (remember the jump every 30 minutes episode?) was an acceptable "excuse" for finding Galactica. I was a little perplexed at how they managed to get away without being hacked into uselessness, maybe the jump was "in the nick of time" ....I can understand jumping blind, while it wasn't smart neither was sitting aound waiting to get destroyed

Of course... considering that any Cylon Raider is capable of broadcasting a signal to disable the new computer systems... they could not be operating past one encounter with the Cylons unless the Cylons wanted the Pegasus to survive.

While the ship is not full of Cylons, I would not be in the least bit surprised to find out it is being run by one. The Cylons have shown a habit of ratting each other out at times to protect their own identities, which could explain why the Pegasus crew was allowed to have their way with Six even if the Admiral was a Cylon.

As for the overall purpose of the Cylons following rather than destroying the Colonial fleet... I think they are looking to find and destroy Earth, and get all humans in one fell swoop.

SCChief
09-24-2005, 12:58 PM

Good point. The military may be able to trump the President in areas of defense, but not when it comes to laws. Perhaps the same " social programming" that caused Adama to submit to the Admiral will cause the Admiral to submit to the President.

DenverChief
09-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Good point. The military may be able to trump the President in areas of defense, but not when it comes to laws. Perhaps the same " social programming" that caused Adama to submit to the Admiral will cause the Admiral to submit to the President.

of course in the last episode the prez said she couldn't even get the admiral to return he calls