PDA

View Full Version : KC Star: Roaf wants to practice today

tk13
09-24-2005, 01:12 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/12728195.htm

CHIEFS NOTES
Kansas City Star

ROAF REPORT

After a day on the treadmill and elliptical machine, tackle Willie Roaf felt so good he made a request: He wants to try to practice today.

Roaf, a 10-time Pro Bowl tackle, was upgraded Friday to a shade better than 50-50 for Monday night’s game at Denver. He’s been out because of a hamstring strain since the first half of the Sept. 11 season opener against the Jets, a game in which Roaf threw several devastating blocks.

Although coach Dick Vermeil said backup Jordan Black has done a respectable job filling in for Roaf, it’s obvious the Chiefs are eager to get Roaf back for the Denver game. The Chiefs have yet to win at Invesco Field under Vermeil.

Roaf moved around gingerly in the locker room Friday, but that’s the way he’s walked for most of his career in Kansas City. He still managed to protect quarterback Trent Green for 49 straight starts before sitting last weekend at Oakland.

“I don’t know if it’s going to be a game-time decision or if they will make that decision prior to us even traveling out there,” Green said.

“I am just excited he is up on his feet and moving around, so there is a chance.”

■ Also Friday, fullback Tony Richardson didn’t practice because of knee and ankle injuries. But Richardson said after the workout that he’ll play Monday.

HE’S A KEEPER

Shortly after Lawrence Tynes nailed a few field goals beyond 50 yards on Friday, Vermeil was sounding like a coach who doesn’t plan to bring in any more kickers.

“I think he’s making progress,” Vermeil said. “He kicked the ball awfully strong today. Is he Adam Vinatieri yet? No, but I think he has potential. You can go week in and week out worrying about your kicker and changing kickers, and invariably that’s what you recreate each week, a new kicking situation.

“I made the decision, we did, to stick with him because we believe he is a good kicker and he’s made some big kicks for us to win some games.”

Earlier this month, the Chiefs gave kicker Todd France a workout. Earlier in training camp, Vermeil openly critiqued his kickers’ mistakes. But Tynes has steadily improved his stock, hitting three of four field goals last weekend at Oakland.

INJURY REPORT

Roaf, Richardson, Ryan Sims, Keyaron Fox, Jason Dunn, and Carlos Hall did not practice Friday for the Chiefs.

Running back Tatum Bell was upgraded from questionable to probable for the Broncos.

Pos. Chiefs Injury St.
DT Ryan Sims foot O
LB Keyaron Fox knee D
T Willie Roaf hamstring Q
DE Carlos Hall back Q
TE Jason Dunn knee Q
FB Tony Richardson knee/ankle P
LB Rich Scanlon shoulder P

Pos. Broncos Injury St.
WR Todd Devoe hamstring Q
RB Mike Anderson ribs P
CB Champ Bailey shoulder P
S Sam Brandon groin P
RB Tatum Bell ankle P
TE Nate Jackson hamstring P
CB Darrent Williams head P

O — out; D — doubtful; Q — questionable; P — probable

------------------------------------------------
— Elizabeth Merrill/The Star

Demonpenz
09-24-2005, 01:31 AM
jeez roaf is an animal

mitchbade
09-24-2005, 01:43 AM
if Todd Devoe makes it back were screwed

Rausch
09-24-2005, 02:19 AM
Having Roaf back would be a huge lift...

luv
09-24-2005, 02:20 AM
Definitely.

J Diddy
09-24-2005, 02:21 AM

I agree.

the Talking Can
09-24-2005, 04:34 AM
even a couple of series in the first half would be huge...

tomahawk kid
09-24-2005, 06:35 AM
I'm of the opinion, if he's practicing - he's playing.

I think wathcing that game from home last Sunday was tough on Big Willie. Sounds to me like it's more than likely he'll play on Monday night.

Mr. Krab
09-24-2005, 10:15 AM

I think wathcing that game from home last Sunday was tough on Big Willie. Sounds to me like it's more than likely he'll play on Monday night.
Having the extra day of rest this week might just make the difference.

Hydrae
09-24-2005, 10:40 AM

And if it was tough for him to sit at home and watch one game, he will stick around for another couple of years. :thumb:

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

StcChief
09-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Play him if he's ready. Can't risk a big setback. Switch with Black if needed.

royr17
09-24-2005, 11:05 AM
if Todd Devoe makes it back were screwed

Who the hell is this Todd Devoe you talk about, and why would we be screwed if he made it back ?

HemiEd
09-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Who the hell is this Todd Devoe you talk about, and why would we be screwed if he made it back ?

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/397233

# 14 Todd Devoe
Position: WR
Height: 6-2
Weight: 198
Born: 04/05/1980
College: Central Missouri State
NFL Experience: 1

Mr. Krab
09-24-2005, 11:31 AM
And they call me NOOB. ROFL

el borracho
09-24-2005, 11:45 AM
If Roaf is ready that would be great but if he is less than 100% he should rest. It's not like we will need him to crush the lowly Broncos.

Straight, No Chaser
09-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Just me, I would start Jordan Black, it's too risky to lose Roaf for the entire year so Vermiel can win one up there. I tend to agree with the poster who said we can win without big Willie. Stay with tthe running game and we can wear them down...

--->

royr17
09-24-2005, 01:25 PM
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/397233

# 14 Todd Devoe
Position: WR
Height: 6-2
Weight: 198
Born: 04/05/1980
College: Central Missouri State
NFL Experience: 1

Ok, what is so great about this guy ?

Hammock Parties
09-24-2005, 01:28 PM

He's awesome. Duh.

go bo
09-24-2005, 01:36 PM
well, he did recover a fumble on special teams against miami...

Skip Towne
09-24-2005, 01:41 PM
:shrug: He's not a MUron?

Shag
09-24-2005, 02:36 PM
I LOVE that even after being in the league forever, having nothing left to prove, Roaf is still doing everything he can to get himself on the field. That says a lot about a guy's character - if it was possible, I have even more respect for him after reading this...

Rausch
09-24-2005, 02:38 PM
I LOVE that even after being in the league forever, having nothing left to prove, Roaf is still doing everything he can to get himself on the field. That says a lot about a guy's character - if it was possible, I have even more respect for him after reading this...

Someone wants a ring... :)

Phobia
09-24-2005, 02:40 PM

I've heard he has a great sense of humor. He's rarely torched by sarcasm.

tk13
09-24-2005, 02:43 PM
He can whip it! Into shape!

Phobia
09-24-2005, 02:44 PM
that's wrong, tk.

RealSNR
09-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Ok, what is so great about this guy ?Well, he's no Rich Scanlon, but he's still ****ing amazing

Frankie
09-24-2005, 03:04 PM
Just me, I would start Jordan Black, it's too risky to lose Roaf for the entire year so Vermiel can win one up there. I tend to agree with the poster who said we can win without big Willie. Stay with tthe running game and we can wear them down...

--->
That's been my view as well all along. Play Black and have Roaf play back up prepared only to come in if necessary and if Black is having a bad game. This way he'll have a better chance to heal and Black will get more reps at LT if he's indeed being groomed to be our future LT.

beavis
09-24-2005, 03:07 PM
He's a donkey, can't be much.

KCFANinNC
09-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Roaf is a much larger version of Yoda.

royr17
09-24-2005, 04:17 PM
So this Todd DeVoe guy is he suppose to be like another Rod Smith ?

Hammock Parties
09-24-2005, 04:18 PM

He's awesome!

beer bacon
09-24-2005, 04:21 PM
I think we should hold Roaf out until the SuperBowl.

royr17
09-24-2005, 04:40 PM
He's awesome!

Well I dont know how good the guy is cause i've never seen him play before.

If he's that good hopefully he wont have to see how good he is this week.

Pants
09-24-2005, 07:08 PM

Dude, how could you have never heard of him? They're saying he's the next TO. Do you even follow football?

Bowser
09-24-2005, 07:13 PM
Dude, how could you have never heard of him? They're saying he's the next TO. Do you even follow football?

He's at least the next Marcus Nash.

go bo
09-24-2005, 07:27 PM
so, did willie practice today or what?

HemiEd
09-24-2005, 07:45 PM

He is from CMS? :D

Mecca
09-24-2005, 07:57 PM
He's at least the next Marcus Nash.

Marcus Nash is the greatest player Shanny has ever drafted. Not just anyone can dominate the Arena League. It takes a Shanahan first round pick to do that.

ArrowheadHawk
09-24-2005, 08:28 PM
I think we should hold Roaf out until the SuperBowl.
lets not get ahead of ourselves

Yosef_Malkovitch
09-24-2005, 08:37 PM

So he IS going to play?! Dammit there goes our chance to get up on the donks early in the season!! :banghead:

Thig Lyfe
09-24-2005, 08:48 PM
At the very least it would be nice to have him in on short-yardage situations and/or third downs. The short running game hasn't been as effective without him.