PDA

View Full Version : Football Feminism

Katipan
09-25-2005, 10:21 AM
Prior to my husband and I getting married I had to make what my girlfriends and I affectionately call "the choice"...

Do I rail against my mate's love of all things Chiefs, or do I embrace it? I couldn't see myself sitting on the couch dazed and confused. Continually annoying my husband with what he would certainly consider inane questions. And I certainly couldn't see giving up such a huge block of time with my husband, when I get so little of his time (due to work) as it is.

So I chose to embrace it and I've never looked back. I learned all the players and i learned how they came to play for the Chiefs. I learned who played poorly and why. I learned what a blitz was. That was many years ago, and now I actually think I spend more time researching and checking in on Chiefs news than my husband does.

My very first Chiefs game at Arrowhead... I couldn't tell what the chant was after each touchdown, so I quietly leaned down to a woman muffled against the cold, who had to be at least in her upper 80s...

"Excuse me madam. What am i supposed to be screaming?"
"Oh honey! It's we're going to beat the hell out of you! Yell it loud honey!"

And even tho I'm merely a woman (tongue in cheek please) even i felt the stirring deep down in my belly and soul when the crowd yells home of the Chiefs"... Like i want to go put on a helmet and go hit somebody. We're not so different from the boys.

I know there was some grumblings last year about how Hollywood the Superbowl got. With the bands and the pregame concerts, and frou-frou stuff not generally linked to the dirty, aggressive battle in the trenches that the NFL epitomizes.

But it is the best thing that could ever happen. To all the men complaining about seeing a pop star that not only can't sing, but probably couldn't name the offensive line of either team... SHUSH. It's time your wife isn't nagging you about watching football. It's time your daughters are spending with you. Anything the NFL can do to make it embraceable by women is just going to make all your (as in men) lives easier.

It's not like women enjoy being left out. But traditionally boys grow up playing football. They learn the rules, and those that don't get to play it are so inundated with the knowledge of the game just by the rite of being male, that they get it.

Fewer people would take the time out to actually explain the game to us delicate little blossoms of femininity.. The strategy. And why it isn't just two dumb animals running at each other as fast and hard as they can. Let a woman have a crush on a cute player. Let a woman feel sympathy for a hard luck case. Let a woman actually learn the people and the figures on the field, and she'll soon be screaming with
all the angst of a Ditka, and crying with all the joy of a Vermeil.

Who cares if we look at the game differently than you so long as we're looking at it?

Don't dumb down the commentary. We aren't stupid. But you can find ways to explain the game without annoying the people that already know everything.

And do leave us with the dream that a woman is going to play in the NFL one day.

Even if she's only a kicker.

Braincase
09-25-2005, 10:25 AM
God bless you! I'm showing this one to the wife.

HolmeZz
Awwww, that's so sweet.

HemiEd
:clap:

go bo
09-25-2005, 10:27 AM
didn't some college team have a kicker a few years back?

and if i'm not mistaken, it seems like most girls who sue to play in high school end up being kickers...

or was that one of the season openers on tv?

go bo
09-25-2005, 10:29 AM
on topic, God bless you mer...

you are a shining example to women everywhere... :hail: :hail: :hail:

my wife will sometimes watch the game with me and she has a pretty good understanding of the game without any explanations from me...

of course, she grew up where rugby is king and there are a lot of similarities...

Skip Towne
Are broads allowed on the Planet?

Straight, No Chaser
Bravo for you.

However, if mine ever evolved into the state you are in now, I'm not sure how I would react... I kind of like having my own "thing" that she puts up with but deep down doesn't give a Shanarat ass about.

--->

NaptownChief
09-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Based on the thread title I thought this was going to talk about the NFL rules protecting QB's....

Bob Dole
09-25-2005, 10:36 AM
That's some front page article shit right there.

Damn.

stevieray
09-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Bravo for you.

However, if mine ever evolved into the state you are in now, I'm not sure how I would react... I kind of like having my own "thing" that she puts up with but deep down doesn't give a Shanarat ass about.

--->

women don't have their own "thing" like football.

alanm
09-25-2005, 10:38 AM
Where I live women here learn to ride horses and brand calves by the time their 7. :)

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-25-2005, 10:41 AM
Even if she's only a kicker.
It'll be my daughter... and she's going to play QB. She's decided. It's done.

Great thread Mer.

:thumb:

Mr. Rat Fink
09-25-2005, 10:49 AM
While I think it is cool that you are a woman who has grown to love football, I don't agree with you that the NFL should continue to "feminize" games like the Super Bowl. Women getting to know the NFL is one thing and that's great. But I don't care to have Oprah suprise Super Bowl fans with Louis Vutton handbags full of face lotion under their seats.

Katipan
09-25-2005, 10:54 AM
thank you sirs. :)

But I don't care to have Oprah suprise Super Bowl fans with Louis Vutton handbags full of face lotion under their seats.

you could sell it on ebay for the cost of your super bowl ticket.

milkman
09-25-2005, 10:54 AM
women don't have their own "thing" like football.

Yeah they do.

It's called shopping.

milkman
09-25-2005, 10:56 AM
On topic, great take on women and football, Mer.

But I agree with Mr. Rat Fink.

Katipan
09-25-2005, 10:58 AM
On topic, great take on women and football, Mer.

But I agree with Mr. Rat Fink.

I don't really need a new bag or hand lotion. I don't even carry a purse into a stadium unless I'm sneaking in liquor.

But tell me why, baby.
And I'll convince you otherwise.

milkman
09-25-2005, 11:02 AM
I don't really need a new bag or hand lotion. I don't even carry a purse into a stadium unless I'm sneaking in liquor.

But tell me why, baby.
And I'll convince you otherwise.

Are you asking why I agree with Mr. Rat Fink?

If so, then the answer is simple.
There are only a few songs, and fewer singers that I can tolerate over the last 30-35 years.

Katipan
09-25-2005, 11:06 AM
oh. weeeelll i agree that most of the music from my generation sucks.

I'd be okay with maybe a makeshift chariot race instead. Like they did in the Gladiator days.

StcChief
09-25-2005, 11:08 AM
Excellent. Football from a woman's view. Send that in to
the Chiefs.

Simplex3
09-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Are broads allowed on the Planet?

We let you stay.

headsnap
09-25-2005, 12:38 PM
It'll be my daughter... and she's going to play QB. She's decided. It's done.

Great thread Mer.

:thumb:
nope, sorry...

it will be my daughter Eva, and she will be a kicker. Her best friend Kasey is Klaus Wilmsmeier's daughter. Klaus has a SP ring from when he was with the 49ers. :)

FloridaChief
09-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Damn. It's depressing to know that I'll never meet a woman who's as smart and cool as Mer....

Phobia
09-25-2005, 01:13 PM

Damn.
That was my first thought.

Hell, that's front page of the Star shit.

Nice work, Merissa.

4th and Long
09-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Quality. Absolute 100% pure, unadulterated quality. :clap:

*Note to Phil* Get this woman on the writing staff. A female point of view such as this deserves to be read by the masses. :thumb:
I actually think I spend more time researching and checking in on Chiefs news than my husband does.
Don't let him see you type that. You'll do irreparable damage to his ego! ;)

FloridaChief
09-25-2005, 01:21 PM
It's just as well. She'd just end up inviting weird dudes from the Internet over to the house to drink your beer and watch football on your big screen.

That's an indignity I'd gladly suffer for the right chick...

Raiderhater
09-25-2005, 01:39 PM
While I think it is cool that you are a woman who has grown to love football, I don't agree with you that the NFL should continue to "feminize" games like the Super Bowl. Women getting to know the NFL is one thing and that's great. But I don't care to have Oprah suprise Super Bowl fans with Louis Vutton handbags full of face lotion under their seats.

I agree completely. If women want to get interested in football, they should get interested in it for what it is. If they aren't happy with the way it is, then why waste their time?

That's the equivilant of being with a person for what you WANT them to be, and not what they are.

Raiderhater
09-25-2005, 01:43 PM
On the flip side, can we make shopping full contact? I'd be much more interested in accompanying a gal to the mall if I knew that at some point in the afternoon she was gonna lay some other broad out.

If women are willing to compromise on this, than I shall recant my previous post.

Katipan
09-25-2005, 05:22 PM
If women are willing to compromise on this, than I shall recant my previous post.

cheat on your girlfriend. :D

Coach
09-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Wonderful article Mer.

That's top quality.

onescrewleftuntwisted
09-25-2005, 06:47 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL
:grovel: :grovel: :grovel: :grovel:

tommykat
09-25-2005, 06:59 PM
Very well written. This should be published!!!! You go girl :D

Raiderhater
09-27-2005, 04:21 PM
cheat on your girlfriend. :D

I'm not the type.

Nick Athan
01-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Nice thoughts... I see you ourn't just funny one liners. I think Ill publish this in are magizane www.warfiledillustrate.dcom

Nick Athan
-Publisher

Chow for now.

Ultra Peanut
01-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Chow for now.WHY MUST FOOD ENTER INTO EVERY DISCUSSION WITH YOU

GLUTTON PIG DOODOOFACE

Baby Lee
01-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Nice thoughts... I see you ourn't just funny one liners. I think Ill publish this in are magizane www.warfiledillustrate.dcom

Nick Athan
-Publisher

Chow for now.
Nick's Italian is impleccible. ROFL ROFL

Inspector
01-10-2006, 03:08 PM
It's not like women enjoy being left out. But traditionally boys grow up playing football. .

Gochiefs said he plays with dolls.

NTTAWWT

DTLB58
01-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Great read! :clap:

Good job and your husband is lucky IMO.

My wife used to watch with me until Montana retired and then she bailed.

KC Dan
01-10-2006, 03:15 PM
That's a great take! Now, get in the kitchen and make us a pie!

ROFL

Katipan

Nick Athan
-Publisher

Chow for now.

If you make people pay for it I'll include bikini shots.

Chief Faithful
My wife made the same choice and became a good fan. Her favorite player of all time is Nick Lowery because she loved watching his routine of adjusting his face mask and playing with his nostrils before each kick. She would mimic him with each kick and still has his football card at home.

Lbedrock1
01-10-2006, 03:20 PM
God bless you! I'm showing this one to the wife.
You had the same Idea I ws having while reading the first few lines.

ChiefsOne
01-10-2006, 03:31 PM
I guess that is what my wife did when we got married. She didn't even watch football, but wasn't against. The first time she saw a game she said "those guys in black and white keep dropping yellow things out of their pocket". Well thank god that was the dumbest thing she ever said. She quickly became a fan and watches every week. She watches more games than I do, because she will sit and watch all day and I mainly watch the Chiefs. She is a Chiefs fan first, but watches anything that is on!

tyton75
01-10-2006, 04:07 PM
I sent this to my wife.. thanks Mer!

ChiTown
01-10-2006, 04:25 PM
You say you're married, huh?

$hit.

Bootlegged
01-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Sorry. Someone had to do it.

http://www.pandairo.co.uk/images/ironmyshirtbitch.jpg

morphius
01-10-2006, 04:29 PM

Damn.
Yup, too bad that part of the site isn't done yet, cause I would put it up there in a hurry.

Nicely written Mer.

Saulbadguy
01-10-2006, 04:41 PM
didn't some college team have a kicker a few years back?

sCUm had a female kicker named Katie Hnida. She was harassed by the players and such, so she transfered to New Mexico State. She kicked an XP in some bowl game, becoming the first female to ever score a point in college football.

Saulbadguy
01-10-2006, 04:43 PM
My fiancee didn't care about sports before she met me. She now loves them, especially K-State sports. She cusses more than I do when our team is losing, which is alot.

I explain things to her, and she picks them up rather quickly. I don't expect her to know why the Triple Option no longer works, or what each players 40 time is..but then again, thats probably a good thing.

sedated
01-10-2006, 04:46 PM

ROFL :) ROFL :) ROFL :) ROFL :) ROFL :) ROFL

that's f*cking hilarious!!

as the clones would say, I just spit coffee all over my computer screen.

4th and Long
01-10-2006, 05:40 PM

Be very careful with that sign Lattimer. It can lead to 3rd degree burns.
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9959/iron6gu.gif

Skip Towne
01-10-2006, 05:44 PM
My fiancee didn't care about sports before she met me. She now loves them, especially K-State sports. She cusses more than I do when our team is losing, which is alot.

I explain things to her, and she picks them up rather quickly. I don't expect her to know why the Triple Option no longer works, or what each players 40 time is..but then again, thats probably a good thing.
You're marrying a lumberjack?

ChiefsFire
01-10-2006, 05:48 PM
wow Mer,i think i might be tearing up alil here...that was deep....

Katipan
01-10-2006, 06:14 PM
There's no crying in football feminism.

ChiefsFire
01-10-2006, 06:28 PM
i cried once playing football.....took a knee to the junk

Iowanian
01-10-2006, 06:28 PM
There is only 1 thing you could have done in that post to complete me.

If you hadn't failed to suggest the ladies offer up the half time-hummers.....I'd have suggested you for a pullitzer.

Brideowanian and her roomate were watching football when I showed up for our first date. I watched 4 football games with the tri-cycle motor the first 5 days of life.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Skip Towne
01-10-2006, 06:53 PM
There is only 1 thing you could have done in that post to complete me.

If you hadn't failed to suggest the ladies offer up the half time-hummers.....I'd have suggested you for a pullitzer.

Brideowanian and her roomate were watching football when I showed up for our first date. I watched 4 football games with the tri-cycle motor the first 5 days of life.

I wholeheartedly agree.
When my little girl was 1 or 2 I would prop her up with pillows and she would watch the Chiefs with me. But she would only watch home games. I finally figured out it was all that red moving around on the screen that she liked.

teedubya
01-10-2006, 07:04 PM
What I can do for some bikini shots?... of ENDelts old fat girlfriends?

Nzoner
01-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Great read Mer,well done.

My mrs has gotten involved in football enough that she actually beat my ass in one of our fantasy football leagues this year.

Now her goal is too see me get involved in NASCAR and no matter how hard I try,I just can't do it.

Katipan
01-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Now her goal is too see me get involved in NASCAR and no matter how hard I try,I just can't do it.

I tried to get my husband to embrace the Diamondbacks. And even tho I got him to sleep on the streets of downtown Phoenix for World Series tickets, he bitched the entire time.

Stupid bitch.

Logical
01-10-2006, 10:50 PM

Even if she's only a kicker.I will predict right now she will be better than Lin Elliot