PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to hate Elway...

cdcox
09-25-2005, 08:51 PM
Moss
Eli
Vick
Peyton
TO
Stabber Ray
Deion
Elway

The media slobberknobbing of individual talent over teamwork began with Elway. He wasn't he first star that reporters couldn't deep throat deep enough to the exclusion of his teammates. Once the gush gates were open for Big John, the media could not drink deeply enough from that well. Name one player prior to Elway that the media hyped so completely as Big John.

Yes, the media has gotten worse, culminating, so far, with the love of Moss. Yet just as there could not be a WWII without a WWI, no W withoug a George, no Rita without a Katrina, no Norman without an Albert, no Elvis without a Bono, no Witlock without a Cosell, no Rosie without a Rossane, there can be no Moss without an Elway. The media learned to love the subtle tickle on their chin somewhere. And Hype Ur is none other than Elway.

Shag
09-25-2005, 09:05 PM
You're leaving out one of the worst - Favre...

cdcox
09-25-2005, 09:08 PM
You're leaving out one of the worst - Favre...

Yeah, he'd certainly qualify. Blame Elway.

Hammock Parties
09-25-2005, 09:13 PM
What about Montana? Rice? LT? Payton?

Halfcan
09-25-2005, 09:14 PM
Broadway Joe Nammath was the first media darling.

teedubya
09-25-2005, 09:16 PM
yep. I was about to say Joe Namath.

However, Elway and his crybaby pussyishness with the Colts fiasco. Plus factor in he was a Yankee. That pretty much seals his fate.

Simplex3
09-25-2005, 09:16 PM
There was a media shift right about Elway's time. Announcers wouldn't spend the entire game talking about one guy until about that time. I think it's because the media in general decided we're all stoopid and they think we can only handle hearing about one thing at a time and couldn't possibly understand the finer points of the game.

cdcox
09-25-2005, 09:30 PM

Montana and Rice were on the same team. Montana and Rice produced very early in their career. Elway won his last two years in the league after 15 years of the media slobering over him. Roger Craig, Hacksaw Reynolds, Ronnie Lott, all got love too. It wasn't all one player all the time.

LT, borderline. They had a lot of great defenders. Harry Carson, Pepper Johnson and Leonard Marshall got some credit, too. I woldn't be against adding him to the list as long as you blame Elway. That is the important thing.

Payton, be serious. The year the won the SB it was all about the defense. They didn't even let him score a TD, instead giving it to the Fidge at the goal line. Under hyped.

cdcox
09-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Broadway Joe Nammath was the first media darling.

Namath was over rated, no doubt. He got a ton of milage out of the guarantee. Shouldn't be in the HOF. But it wasn't all Namath all the time. Believe me, I saw the games in those days.

cdcox
09-25-2005, 09:34 PM
There was a media shift right about Elway's time.

No, it wasn't "about" Elway's time. It was PRECISELY the instant he came in the league. Keep the message straight.

Simplex3
09-25-2005, 09:37 PM
No, it wasn't "about" Elway's time. It was PRECISELY the instant he came in the league. Keep the message straight.
I don't know that it was BECAUSE of Elway, though. It happened all over the board at that point in time.

cdcox
09-25-2005, 09:39 PM
I don't know that it was BECAUSE of Elway, though. It happened all over the board at that point in time.

Elway lover.

Simplex3
09-25-2005, 09:41 PM
Elway lover.
I'm just waiting to be convinced. I *want* to be convinced that it was his fault.

cdcox
09-25-2005, 09:53 PM
I'm just waiting to be convinced. I *want* to be convinced that it was his fault.

Okay, I'm going to try to save you one more time from the dark side. Take gochiefs' list. Montana, Rice, LT and Payton. All won SB before they had hung around the league for 15 years. All their supporting cast got decent amounts of credit. With Elway we had to listen to that crap for 15 years before we saw ONE stinking championsip. The media callded his receivers in the early years the "Three Amigos" -- how insulting is that? Check out his career QB rating (which according to TJ doesn't mean anyting). He was good, but not the only game in town. Yet when the Donks were playing the media pretend he was the only player on the field.

If you're not convinced by my overpowering arguement, you're definitely an Elway lover. He is the spawn of all that is wrong with the league.

Simplex3
09-25-2005, 09:58 PM
If you're not convinced by my overpowering arguement, you're definitely an Elway lover. He is the spawn of all that is wrong with the league.
So is your argument that he was the first, and undeserving, recipient or is your argument that he somehow caused it? I'm with you on the first one but the second one is a stretch.

cdcox
09-25-2005, 10:02 PM
So is your argument that he was the first, and undeserving, recipient or is your argument that he somehow caused it? I'm with you on the first one but the second one is a stretch.

If he had not spurned the Colts, he would have a) not had as much media attention, and b) sucked with that crummy team. Yes his actions directly caused it. I'm pretty sure he planned it that way.

Rain Man
09-25-2005, 10:04 PM
I hate Elway more than ever, even before reading this thread. Just knowing that someone has come up with another reason to hate him is enough for me.

cdcox
09-25-2005, 10:06 PM
I hate Elway more than ever, even before reading this thread. Just knowing that someone has come up with another reason to hate him is enough for me.

You, sir, are what makes this country great.

Simplex3
09-25-2005, 10:08 PM
If he had not spurned the Colts, he would have a) not had as much media attention, and b) sucked with that crummy team. Yes his actions directly caused it. I'm pretty sure he planned it that way.
I'll buy that. The media was a willing participant but he created the environment and encouraged their behavior.

Garcia Bronco
09-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Elway was the greatest player to play the game. And he played for my team. :)

Skip Towne
09-25-2005, 10:10 PM
I'm looking for yet another reason to hate him. What kind of cars did he sell?

cdcox
09-25-2005, 10:11 PM
I'll buy that. The media was a willing participant but he created the environment and encouraged their behavior.

Yes! Feel the hate, embrace it, wallow in it, keep the ember burning.

Rain Man
09-25-2005, 10:18 PM
I'm looking for yet another reason to hate him. What kind of cars did he sell?

Overpriced ones that broke down a lot.

Elway was the first player to put himself above the league that made him rich. Screw him. I'll hate him forever. I hated him when he came into the league as an egocentric ball hog, and I hated him when he left the league as a salary cap-cheating, slack-jawed, Nike-clad thief of the Lombardi. I hate him now, and I hate all of the ego-wads that are his legacy: Bo Jackson, Eli Manning, even Kelly Stouffer. And every time I hate one of them, I hate Elway a little more.

cdcox
09-25-2005, 10:27 PM
Elway was the greatest player to play the game. And he played for my team. :)

Buy a clue.

The best player ever to play the game should probably rank in the top 20 in the main statistical category of their position.

Homers that pimp a player as the greatest ever should probably pick a player that a impartial, informed opinion, at least considers in the top 15.

http://archive.sportingnews.com/nfl/100/

DJJasonp
09-25-2005, 10:48 PM
Deion Sanders

cdcox
09-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Deion Sanders

Included in original list.

Without John Elway, there would be no Deion Sanders. If you hate Sanders, you should more properly direct you hate to Elway.

You people are a little slow. It is all about hating Elway.

Halfcan
09-25-2005, 11:06 PM
It was Elgay's fault for the huricans-dang I hate that guy. He ruined my Mardi Gras plans. Damned Horseface. Plus he is friends with Bon Jovi.

Garcia Bronco
09-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Buy a clue.

The best player ever to play the game should probably rank in the top 20 in the main statistical category of their position.

Homers that pimp a player as the greatest ever should probably pick a player that a impartial, informed opinion, at least considers in the top 15.

http://archive.sportingnews.com/nfl/100/

There is only one stat that matters...wins and losses. No quarterback led their teams to more wins. I bought the clue...now you may borrow it.

Halfcan
09-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Not yet but Favre and Manning will pass him.

cdcox
09-25-2005, 11:58 PM
There is only one stat that matters...wins and losses. No quarterback led their teams to more wins. I bought the clue...now you may borrow it.

This comment is so stupid, I don't know where to begin to comment. For starters:

Team mates have nothing to do with number of wins?

Shouldn't we consider W-L percentage, rather than number of wins?

Since Chuck Foreman played in more games that the Vikings won than Terrell Davis played in games that the Broncos won, that makes Foreman the better back, right?

If you want to argue that wins are due to the QB, Elway is still way below .500 when it comes to the games that matter most: the Superbowl.

J Diddy
09-26-2005, 12:03 AM
This comment is so stupid, I don't know where to begin to comment. For starters:

Team mates have nothing to do with number of wins?

Shouldn't we consider W-L percentage, rather than number of wins?

Since Chuck Foreman played in more games that the Vikings won than Terrell Davis played in games that the Broncos won, that makes Foreman the better back, right?

If you want to argue that wins are due to the QB, Elway is still way below .500 when it comes to the games that matter most: the Superbowl.

You know, I hate elway for what he did to us.

I can't belittle him for his talent, if the Chiefs would have made the trade to indy I would have been all over it. You would be too.

Halfcan
09-26-2005, 12:05 AM
At least Elgay could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence. I still hate him though.

greg63
09-26-2005, 01:40 AM
AAAAHHH, but I just think of the 1982 Stanford VS Michigan game and all seems right in the football universe once again. :D
(That is if I remember my college football history correctly)

Area 51
09-26-2005, 03:45 AM
Another reason to hate Elway...

Do we really need reasons to hate a bronco?

Elwaysux
09-26-2005, 08:00 AM
I consider myself an expert in this matter. Elway was the first media darling and most overblown, over hyped "athlete" of his time. He has a horseface as well.

greg63
09-26-2005, 10:59 AM
I consider myself an expert in this matter. Elway was the first media darling and most overblown, over hyped "athlete" of his time. He has a horseface as well.

LOL! That's why he was a Donk.ROFL