PDA

View Full Version : Philosophical question

DenverChief
09-25-2005, 10:55 PM
What is your definition of love as far as a relationship goes (i.e. not the love you have for family and friends)? In general terms what does love include?

Had an interesting conversation earlier tonight and I was curious what other people think about love and its definitions....

RealSNR
09-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Just please don't go into your definition of love, DC :p

Demonpenz
09-25-2005, 10:59 PM
reach around

J Diddy
09-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Love includes a woman who doesn't speak, doesn't spend any money, keeps house immaculately, disciplines children, is great in bed with just you, and cooks food to die for.

Of course this is from a guy who split up with his wife a month and half.

ChiefFripp
09-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Love is being atleast 45% sure she is not going down on your best friend.

DenverChief
09-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Love includes a woman who doesn't speak, doesn't spend any money, keeps house immaculately, disciplines children, is great in bed with just you, and cooks food to die for.

Of course this is from a guy who split up with his wife a month and half.

for a month and a half or a month and a half ago?

DenverChief
09-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Well....?

luv
09-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Physical, mental, and emotional attraction, in part.

duncan_idaho
09-25-2005, 11:13 PM
My definition of love is:

Caring more about someone's well-being and happiness than your own. Wanting to spend every ounce of energy necessary to make them happy, and having the patience to get through the rough times when they aren't happy. It is sacrifice; it is compassion; it is willingness to compromise.

DenverChief
09-25-2005, 11:15 PM

Caring more about someone's well-being and happiness than your own. Wanting to spend every ounce of energy necessary to make them happy, and having the patience to get through the rough times when they aren't happy. It is sacrifice; it is compassion; it is willingness to compromise.

Thats what I'm talking about.......

DenverChief
09-25-2005, 11:17 PM
Physical, mental, and emotional attraction, in part.

ok what about the rest?

Halfcan
09-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Wow mention love and Luv2rite magically appears. How is that hangover going?

RealSNR
09-25-2005, 11:19 PM

Caring more about someone's well-being and happiness than your own. Wanting to spend every ounce of energy necessary to make them happy, and having the patience to get through the rough times when they aren't happy. It is sacrifice; it is compassion; it is willingness to compromise.I believe the opposite. I believe love is a very selfish thing. You want it all to yourself, and nobody else to enjoy that love. You give and take in a relationship because one needs to fulfill their obligations in the relationship. You put your own self into the relationship to take everything out again for yourself.

Sorry, been reading too much Ayn Rand

DenverChief
09-25-2005, 11:23 PM
Would you give up something you love (i.e. watching football on sunday, at least the early games) as part of loving someone?

go bo
09-25-2005, 11:26 PM
Would you give up something you love (i.e. watching football on sunday, at least the early games) as part of loving someone?i sure as shit wouldn't give up any cheifs games...

i don't love nobody that much...

and this coming from a guy who's been married to this wife for 27 years...

Halfcan
09-25-2005, 11:27 PM
Night before the big game and you guys are talking about love???

I want to talk about Hate. I know what that is. I freakin Hate the Broncos. I hate ratface, their cutblockin cheatin O line, their over hyped (enter RB of the day here) Running backs-especially fatazz Dane.

Oh dang I meant to post this on the smack thread. Carry on lovebirds.

tk13
09-25-2005, 11:28 PM
Would you give up something you love (i.e. watching football on sunday, at least the early games) as part of loving someone?
I think that really depends on how important watching football is to you.

Halfcan
09-25-2005, 11:28 PM
Love is chieffripp's signature. It doesn't get any better than that. Who is that hottie anyway-is that Luv2write?

DenverChief
09-25-2005, 11:29 PM
i sure as shit wouldn't give up any chiefs games...

i don't love nobody that much...

and this coming from a guy who's been married to this wife for 27 years...

What about recording them and watching them later?

DenverChief
09-25-2005, 11:33 PM
I think that really depends on how important watching football is to you.

heh that is the question isn't it.....damn-it this isn't about me it's about a "friend"

Halfcan
09-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Denver Chief did you get the old "I love you, but I am not In love with you speech" or something.

Love is a warm puppy.
Love is never having to say you are sorry.
"Jenny, I might not be a smart man, but I know what love is."
Love is in the air."
Love American style.

LOVE STINKS!!!! YEAH YEAH

go bo
09-25-2005, 11:37 PM
What about recording them and watching them later?other games, sure...

but i watch my chiefies live, thank you...

as far as love, there's plenty of old cliches around...

in my experience, failling in love is different (and more fun) than loving someone...

when you're able to do both with the same person, it's heaven...

especially if that person is not psycho or something... :p :p :p

DenverChief
09-25-2005, 11:37 PM
Denver Chief did you get the old "I love you, but I am not In love with you speech" or something.

Love is a warm puppy.
Love is never having to say you are sorry.
"Jenny, I might not be a smart man, but I know what love is."
Love is in the air."
Love American style.

LOVE STINKS!!!! YEAH YEAH

No actually I got the you don't love me because you don't spend time with me. You would rather watch football on sunday than got to church with me speech

go bo
09-25-2005, 11:38 PM
heh that is the question isn't it.....damn-it this isn't about me it's about a "friend"sure, i have "friends" like that too... ROFL ROFL ROFL

Halfcan
09-25-2005, 11:40 PM
other games, sure...

in my experience, failling in love is different (and more fun) than loving someone...

LOL- that always helps. If I only had that good of luck.

DenverChief
09-25-2005, 11:41 PM
other games, sure...

:LOL: I "think" that I do everything possible to make him happy(non-sexually) but apparently he is not satisfied...I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing

keg in kc
09-25-2005, 11:44 PM
Love is a mixture of chemical reaction, imagination, brainwashing and emotional insecurity, sometimes with a bit of booze thrown in.

Halfcan
09-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Oh no Chief. Did you say, "if you really loved me,you would accept me the way I am."

For better or worst-that is the kicker-the back door out of the marriage vows-"This is as good as it gets, now please get out of my view of the tv. And pray for the Chiefs to win when your at church for me. Bring me a twelve pack on the way home while your at it."

tk13
09-25-2005, 11:46 PM
No actually I got the you don't love me because you don't spend time with me. You would rather watch football on sunday than got to church with me speech
Is there not anything you can do the rest of the weekend to spend time together? Or any other time of the week. I don't know. Of course if church is a big deal for that person it's still gonna cause a conflict.

go bo
09-25-2005, 11:47 PM
No actually I got the you don't love me because you don't spend time with me. You would rather watch football on sunday than got to church with me speechbull, hockey pus, hoeey horseshit...

nothing is more important that watching the chiefs, imo...

if someone says they love you, they have to accept that your interests might not always be the same and they have to give you room to live your life in your own way, rather than change for them...

trying to change for somebody else is doomed to failure in the long run (i have tried this, in two prior marriages and in countless relationships over the years - all before i met my current wife though)...

if you don't need to change for yourself, then someone who loves you shouldn't want you to change for them (if they really love you and are not trying to manipulate/control/use you...

you gotta remember that you're a good looking young hunk of a man, and you can have anybody you want...

don't let infatuation or sexual attraction run your life now, or it will always be that way...

i think your friend should lovingly suggest that his paramour go and enjoy church if that's what makes him happy and leave you to watch football during the season...

it's not like it's year round or anything...

ok, time to :bong: :D :D :D

DenverChief
09-25-2005, 11:50 PM
Oh no Chief. Did you say, "if you really loved me,you would accept me the way I am."

For better or worst-that is the kicker-the back door out of the marriage vows-"This is as good as it gets, now please get out of my view of the tv. And pray for the Chiefs to win when your at church for me. Bring me a twelve pack on the way home while your at it."

man I wish it were that easy...I'm afraid I will have to give up watching the Chiefs the year they win it all :(

J Diddy
for a month and a half or a month and a half ago?

a month and a half ago

keg in kc
someone who loves you shouldn't want you to change for them (if they really love you and are not trying to manipulate/control/use you...

don't let infatuation or sexual attraction run your life now, or it will always be that way...Sagely spoken.

Halfcan
Go to church in Feb after football season. When it is cold and there is nothing else to do. It will still be boring but at least you are spending time together.

Why can't you have just as good "quality time"
1. Watching football.
2. At a bar drinking.
3. Watching football at a bar drinking.

DenverChief
09-25-2005, 11:57 PM
bull, hockey pus, hoeey horseshit...

nothing is more important that watching the chiefs, imo...

if someone says they love you, they have to accept that your interests might not always be the same and they have to give you room to live your life in your own way, rather than change for them...

trying to change for somebody else is doomed to failure in the long run (i have tried this, in two prior marriages and in countless relationships over the years - all before i met my current wife though)...

if you don't need to change for yourself, then someone who loves you shouldn't want you to change for them (if they really love you and are not trying to manipulate/control/use you...

you gotta remember that you're a good looking young hunk of a man, and you can have anybody you want...

don't let infatuation or sexual attraction run your life now, or it will always be that way...

i think your friend should lovingly suggest that his paramour go and enjoy church if that's what makes him happy and leave you to watch football during the season...

it's not like it's year round or anything...

ok, time to :bong: :D :D :D

yea well said...I think the biggest problem for him is that the church is run by his father and it is mostly family that attends and he is on the choir ...so if he doesn't show his family gets "mad" at him...I really think he wants me to share that with him

Halfcan
09-26-2005, 12:01 AM
Give up the Chiefs??? Blaspheme, we will pretend you did not say that.

J diddy got me thinking. I wonder how many divorced guys with psycho ex wives that are on here. Count me as one.

J Diddy
09-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Give up the Chiefs??? Blaspheme, we will pretend you did not say that.

J diddy got me thinking. I wonder how many divorced guys with psycho ex wives that are on here. Count me as one.

Here's the question, do you get a vote per each psycho exwife or just be divorced man?

Halfcan
09-26-2005, 12:07 AM
lol count them all. One divorce, 8 psycho girl,friends. Hell even the last three dates, it was like they just walked off of springer. I am going to have to quit picking up chicks at the bowling alley.

J Diddy
09-26-2005, 12:14 AM
lol count them all. One divorce, 8 psycho girl,friends. Hell even the last three dates, it was like they just walked off of springer. I am going to have to quit picking up chicks at the bowling alley.

Yeah, well, never tried the bowling alley however I, at this point, can stop recommending truck stops

Halfcan
09-26-2005, 12:26 AM
Actually Chief, sounds like she is using football and church as a metaphor for a deeper problem.

She probably feels lonely and is harboring bitterness that she does not feel whole and complete at the moment. Even prayer does not seem to get the adreneline flowing like when you first swept her off her feet and she fell "In Love" with you. The chasm in her heart has probably grown with each instance she felt you were more interested in something else "Football" than her.

People grow apart and find different things that make them happy. She has found comfort in church while you can relive your glory days and get back to the basic tribal warfare called football-where the goal is to destroy and humiliate your oponent-manly stuff. Your adrenline comes in a well fought victory which more than fills the phychological void left from the "dating and falling in love days. It is also probably hard for her to see you happy watching football while she is feeling confused and separated from the one she loves most.

Giving up your beloved Chiefs in a lame attempt to change will give her a quick fix, but will reverse the bitterness. Why should you be the one to change? You must change together-equal partners.

It sounds like she just wants for you to rediscover the person she has grown to be, to feel that pitter patter in her lonely heart, and to get the happiness back that comes with knowing that "Nothing" is more important to you than her happiness. I am sure once your emotional connection is healed-she will open up to you about what she needs in the bedroom-if that is a problem that happens to most relationships. Good luck.

el borracho
09-26-2005, 12:31 AM
You are the only person who can decide what is and what is not acceptable to you. There are certainly things that sometimes arise that would make me miss a football game but not every week. I wait all year for this.

greg63
09-26-2005, 12:53 AM

Ditto. I'm just mad ya beat me to it! :banghead: :D :thumb:

el borracho
09-26-2005, 12:59 AM
Then there is this:

Some say love it is a river
that drowns the tender reed
Some say love it is a razer
that leaves your soul to blead

Some say love it is a hunger
an endless aching need
I say love it is a flower
and you it's only seed

It's the heart afraid of breaking
that never learns to dance
It's the dream afraid of wakingthat never takes the chance
It's the one who won't be taken
who cannot seem to give
and the soul afraid of dyingthat never learns to live

When the night has been too lonely
and the road has been too long
and you think that love is only
for the lucky and the strong
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows
lies the seed
that with the sun's love
in the spring
becomes the rose

greg63
09-26-2005, 01:02 AM
Night before the big game and you guys are talking about love???

I want to talk about Hate. I know what that is. I freakin Hate the Broncos. I hate ratface, their cutblockin cheatin O line, their over hyped (enter RB of the day here) Running backs-especially fatazz Dane.

Oh dang I meant to post this on the smack thread. Carry on lovebirds.

DIE DONKS DIE!!!!! Oh, sorry Halfcans smack enthusiasm got the better of me. Where's the smack thread again????

Miles
09-26-2005, 01:03 AM

I guess I usually see that as comparing one interest for another. You each have a thing you want to do but the other is unwilling to recognize that. Not sure what my definition of love is but it doesnt include caving to the others will.

greg63
09-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Actually Chief, sounds like she is using football and church as a metaphor for a deeper problem.

She probably feels lonely and is harboring bitterness that she does not feel whole and complete at the moment. Even prayer does not seem to get the adreneline flowing like when you first swept her off her feet and she fell "In Love" with you. The chasm in her heart has probably grown with each instance she felt you were more interested in something else "Football" than her.

People grow apart and find different things that make them happy. She has found comfort in church while you can relive your glory days and get back to the basic tribal warfare called football-where the goal is to destroy and humiliate your oponent-manly stuff. Your adrenline comes in a well fought victory which more than fills the phychological void left from the "dating and falling in love days. It is also probably hard for her to see you happy watching football while she is feeling confused and separated from the one she loves most.

Giving up your beloved Chiefs in a lame attempt to change will give her a quick fix, but will reverse the bitterness. Why should you be the one to change? You must change together-equal partners.

It sounds like she just wants for you to rediscover the person she has grown to be, to feel that pitter patter in her lonely heart, and to get the happiness back that comes with knowing that "Nothing" is more important to you than her happiness. I am sure once your emotional connection is healed-she will open up to you about what she needs in the bedroom-if that is a problem that happens to most relationships. Good luck.

Ditto again!!! GREAT POST BUD!

luv
09-26-2005, 01:40 AM
ok what about the rest?
The other parts include, but are not limited to:

Mutual respect
Mutual understanding
Trust
Compassion
Sympathy
Empathy
Backbone and thick skin

I've always wanted to be someone's soft spot. They can be all macho and manly. They can talk about football, hot chicks, hunting, who's got better tools, and watching action movies. But whenever we're alone, I wan't to see him cry, I want to know his fears, I want to be able to sit through a dinner without having to say a word, but wanting to.

I want someone who I can accept, flaws and all, because I know they accept me the same way. Someone who trusts me enough to let me in when all he wants to do is build a wall.

luv
09-26-2005, 01:42 AM
Wow mention love and Luv2rite magically appears. How is that hangover going?
LOL

Just a slight headache when I first woke up. Nothing bad.

I'm a sucker for love. I'm a hopeful romantic. Hopeful I'll find it, that is.

elvomito
09-26-2005, 01:46 AM
"love is when you get that feeling, deep down in yo pants." ps: do it in da butt

-leon phelps

el borracho
09-26-2005, 01:49 AM
But whenever we're alone, I wan't to see him cry,
You're sick.

luv
09-26-2005, 01:51 AM
You're sick.
lol...

I'm not talking torture. I may use handcuffs, but then I get out my feather. :p

What I meant to say is that he doesn't mind it if I see him cry. Not implying I'm the one causing him to.

greg63
09-26-2005, 02:00 AM
lol...

I'm not talking torture. I may use handcuffs, but then I get out my feather. :p

What I meant to say is that he doesn't mind it if I see him cry. Not implying I'm the one causing him to.

...Chains, whips, chips, dips??? Just wondering? :p
BTW thanks for the Insomnia tips the other night, they help. :thumb:

luv
09-26-2005, 02:07 AM
...Chains, whips, chips, dips??? Just wondering? :p
BTW thanks for the Insomnia tips the other night, they help. :thumb:
Great! I'm glad I could help.

Jenny Gump
09-26-2005, 02:58 PM

Did you respond with a "Well.......duh"?

(Sorry Pastor Mike)

Donger
09-26-2005, 03:03 PM

Whoa. That sounds like a female.

Jenny Gump
09-26-2005, 03:05 PM
Love to me...means bringing him a bottle of his favorite cold beer after work, letting him have the best piece of barbeque chicken in the pan, and never making him feel dumb or insignificant.

For me to feel loved, he would bring me a hot cup of coffee in the morning and admire me while I get ready for work.

It's all in the little things you do.

Donger
09-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Love to me...means bringing him a bottle of his favorite cold beer after work, letting him have the best piece of barbeque chicken in the pan, and never making him feel dumb or insignificant.

For me to feel loved, he would bring me a hot cup of coffee in the morning and admire me while I get ready for work.

Heh. You just described the wife and I's relationship, except for the dumb and insignificant part.

keg in kc
09-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Love to me...never making him feel dumb or insignificant.What if he is dumb and insignificant, and only there because he has a 9-in dong and a magic tongue? Do you lie to him?For me to feel loved, he would bring me a hot cup of coffee in the morning and admire me while I get ready for work.Webcam. You might not get the coffee, but you'd have lots of people "admiring" you while you get ready for work.

Bowser
09-26-2005, 03:14 PM

This is the secret that most people don't seem to get.

Love is also getting pissed and walking away from the one you love, knowing all the while you can't be away from them forever.

Bowser
09-26-2005, 03:23 PM
What if he is dumb and insignificant, and only there because he has a 9-in dong and a magic tongue? Do you lie to him?

Webcam. You might not get the coffee, but you'd have lots of people "admiring" you while you get ready for work.

ROFL

Big Slick
09-26-2005, 03:38 PM
:hump: S. Sharpe :hump:

+

:hump: R. Moss :hump:

=

TRU LUV!

KUalum
09-26-2005, 03:41 PM
Love is having a partner who says "I hate all Chiefs fans - except you, 'cause your perfect".

Love is also having a partner who will only bask in his only glory for 1 day after beating you in week two of your fantasy league even though he knows you'll drag it out for a week.

vailpass
09-26-2005, 03:52 PM

She? Her? :spock: DC are you taking a walk on the other side?

Simplex3
09-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Part of love is not having to give up the things you hold dearest.

Tigermoose
09-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Love
1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Simplex3
09-26-2005, 04:01 PM
:LOL: I "think" that I do everything possible to make him happy(non-sexually) but apparently he is not satisfied...I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing
A compatable partner?

Simplex3
09-26-2005, 04:09 PM
Truthfully DC, this sounds a great deal like the end of my first serious relationship. She began riding me about things she knew I wasn't likely to comprimise on. I gave in on a couple but it was one thing after another.

You might want to hadle it differently than I did, though. I just decided that since nothing of mine was important to her I'd "forget" her birthday. Several days later when she "reminded" me I shrugged it off like it was no big deal. That wasn't pretty.

Fish
09-26-2005, 04:21 PM
[True love today]

The wife greets me when I get home with a cold beer and a packed pipe. The ribs have been marinating since she woke early that morning. She has the remote next to the lazy boy, with the channel preset to the Chiefs/Donkeys game. She then gives me a BJ as the teams kick off. Ribs are ready exactly at halftime, and are cooked to perfection. Chiefs win, which is celebrated by some great lovemaking and a cigarette.

[what will actuallly happen]

I get home late, out of beer.... forgot to marinate the ribs, out of bud, wife is watching Nanny 911, run out of charcoal, miss the kickoff, burn the ribs, wife is asleep before the game is over......

True love is a myth created by women's magazines.....

keg in kc
09-26-2005, 04:54 PM
True love is a myth created by women's magazines.....So say we all.

stumppy
09-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Never having to hear those 3 special words.

'Take this Penicillen' (sp?)

Jenny Gump
09-26-2005, 05:26 PM
[True love today]

The wife greets me when I get home with a cold beer and a packed pipe. The ribs have been marinating since she woke early that morning. She has the remote next to the lazy boy, with the channel preset to the Chiefs/Donkeys game. She then gives me a BJ as the teams kick off. Ribs are ready exactly at halftime, and are cooked to perfection. Chiefs win, which is celebrated by some great lovemaking and a cigarette.

[what will actuallly happen]

I get home late, out of beer.... forgot to marinate the ribs, out of bud, wife is watching Nanny 911, run out of charcoal, miss the kickoff, burn the ribs, wife is asleep before the game is over......

True love is a myth created by women's magazines.....

ROFL