PDA

View Full Version : Time to seperate the twins

Dark Horse
09-27-2005, 09:18 AM
Priest Holmes just does not look like the same back this year. His problem? Larry Johnson, now I know everyone is in love with Johnsons home run ability and angry running, but Holmes is still the elite back. Priest is one of those backs who gets stronger with more touches he is clearly at his best ,as is the whole offence when he gets about 30 carries. Bringing Johnson in every other series just disrupts the timing and the flow of the offence. Johnson you will remember is better when he gets a bunch of touches too. Just my opinion slash away.

Bowser
09-27-2005, 09:20 AM
I'm not really crazy about the 2-1 series these guys play. They should substitute LJ on a play-to-play basis, not go in thinking "Priest will have X amount of series, and LJ will have X amount of series...."

Play them according to how the game is going, not to stroke egos.

NewChief
09-27-2005, 09:21 AM
I think the real problem with our two back system is that when it has problems, like last night, everyone is going to start questioning it. The coaches, pundits, fans, and ,most importantly, players are all going to start wondering if we wouldn't be better off giving all the carries to one back. Now, suddenly, you have a situation where all the maturity and good will that Priest and LJ have displayed to this point goes out the window because they're back to competing for carries rather than willingly sharing carries.

Hopefully next week the two-headed monster makes another appearance and puts the naysaying to rest, otherwise we are going to have the long-dreaded running back controversy on our hands.

Fat Elvis
09-27-2005, 09:21 AM
They need to alternate games, not series (of course they could spell each other when need be...). You need to get into a rythym in a game. You can't do that if Priest plays two series and Johnson plays a couple and visa versa. By alternating games, you can plug one in that best suits the particular defense that is being played yet at the same time keeping both players fresh throughout the season.

Edit: I guess I should define alternate: I don't mean evrey other game; I'm talking about using the back who skills best match up to the particular defense that we are playing. That is what our whole offense is predicated upon--matchups.

jAZ
09-27-2005, 09:26 AM
I don't know what to think.

Right now I feel that if ever there were a time when Taco John was correct to say "Priest has lost his 2nd level burst", now would be that time.

Priest seems to get tied up at the LOS far more often than he ever did before. Even in the Jets game when our OL was at full strenght. And LJ seemed to use the same OL and get more production out of it.

Right now, there is little doubt that the biggest problem with our team is the absence of Roaf on the left (and the bizarre plan to put Bober on the right).

The Chiefs fixed 1/2 that problem last night by finally putting in Kevin Sampson and things seemed to improve at that point. Certain Trent had more time to throw. Next week, maybe Roaf will be back.

Question is, does Priest start running through holes again? Or does he keep getting tied up at the LOS more than in years past. If he does and LJ doesn't (like the first 2 games), then we have a problem with Priest.

ct
09-27-2005, 09:36 AM
The KC running game is a direct result of superior offensive line domination. When the domination goes the other way, so does the running game.

jspchief
09-27-2005, 09:36 AM
Priest Holmes just does not look like the same back this year. His problem? Larry Johnson, now I know everyone is in love with Johnsons home run ability and angry running, but Holmes is still the elite back. Priest is one of those backs who gets stronger with more touches he is clearly at his best ,as is the whole offence when he gets about 30 carries. Bringing Johnson in every other series just disrupts the timing and the flow of the offence. Johnson you will remember is better when he gets a bunch of touches too. Just my opinion slash away.Agree.

I'm ready for Holmes to get 25 carries per game, with LJ only coming in to spell him.

Dark Horse
09-27-2005, 10:12 AM
I think problem no.2 with the offence is Tony Gonzales Maybe his foot is still bothering him but he is just not getting seperation like he usually does, and when he struggles the rest of the offence usually does too.

Sure-Oz
09-27-2005, 10:15 AM
Yeah i wouldnt mind priest getting most touches, i think we need to get a rythm, lj 10 carries or so, but priest still is a horse.

David.
09-27-2005, 10:17 AM
welcome to the product of average line play.

Sure-Oz
09-27-2005, 10:19 AM
welcome to the product of average line play.
agreed, it wasn't even avg.

Mile High Mania
09-27-2005, 10:23 AM
I think that having 2 great RB threats can be a distraction ... it seemed to me that they were forcing LJ into action too much last night. Holmes is healthy and a proven badass... LJ is a great young threat, but Holmes is your money man.

Holmes has destroyed Denver often, and granted... the Denver defense was giving them fits all night, but I think they went with LJ too much.

Don't get me wrong... I didn't mind it.

trndobrd
09-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Perhaps the problem lies less with the number of plays and series that Priest and LJ play and more with the presence of Defensive linemen in the backfield.