09-29-2005, 08:50 AM
hell yeah!#@ :thumb:

Wow.

I'm actually excited.

:clap:

--Infidel Goat

Demonpenz
09-29-2005, 08:51 AM
thats good news. I can't wait till spring training! I know 610 is doing some all day coverage on the royals today

Eleazar
09-29-2005, 08:52 AM
Phew

siberian khatru
09-29-2005, 08:53 AM
The franchise is saved!

Dartgod
09-29-2005, 08:54 AM
Damn. I was hoping we could draft him again next year.

ChiefsCountry
09-29-2005, 09:32 AM
About fuggin time.

kregger
09-29-2005, 09:42 AM
Yea great news, now where the F*&k do you play him. THe royals can't figure out any positions infield or out(DeJesus excepted).

ChiTown
09-29-2005, 09:44 AM

ROFL

Well, at least we know we would have had the #1 pick in order to actually do it. So, we got that going for us.........

shakesthecat
09-29-2005, 09:48 AM
ROFL

Well, at least we know we would have had the #1 pick in order to actually do it. So, we got that going for us.........

Now we can look forward to Baird drafting Colt Griffin v2.0.

Coogs
09-29-2005, 09:57 AM

Have the D-Backs signed the #1 pick? He was supposed to be the best draft prospect since A-Rod. Maybe we can get him with next years #1 now. :shrug:

ck_IN
09-29-2005, 09:59 AM
Since his name came up, what's the news on Colt Griffin?

shakesthecat
09-29-2005, 10:03 AM
Since his name came up, what's the news on Colt Griffin?

He really made some strides this year.
Only walked 7 more batters than he struck out.

1-1 4.02 era
56 inn, 43 W, 36 K

ck_IN
09-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Nice stats from a #1 pick.

Nolan Ryan had no idea where the ball was going either when he was young but somehow I doubt Colt = Ryan.

ChiTown
09-29-2005, 10:22 AM
Yea great news, now where the F*&k do you play him. THe royals can't figure out any positions infield or out(DeJesus excepted).

Given the advanced infield play of Teahen, I'd guess Gordon to be a RF and Butler to play LF. If Lubanski could get his strike out ratio down, he'd be a helluva player. He's whiffing ~25% of his AB's.....that's horrible. Conversely, he had a .554 slugging %......that's pretty good. Not to mention, he swiped 14 bases in 15 attempts. Butler doesn't have much speed, but I think Gordon is fairly serviceable on the basepath. So, we have the making's of a good young outfield, especially when you figure that we already have DeJesus in the mix.

I'm more concerned with 2b, SS and Catcher. We are horribly weak up the middle. My other concern is figuring out how to get this starting pitching staff to be effective. We supposedly have all this young talent, but it just isn't materializing for one reason or the other (lots of injuries, etc.). I'm reasonably comfy with our middle relief and closing situation. I want Affeldt gone. He's been the biggest disappointment that I can remember in quite some time. Unfortunately, we've probably waited too long to trade him for any value. We'll be lucky to get a pack of Lucky Strikes and a 6 pack of Weidemans.

Like I've mentioned before, the Royals need to PROVE they are making progress this year, or Baird should be shown the door, along with his entire staff (especially the "talent" evaluators).

Eleazar
09-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Royals, Gordon agree on deal
Third baseman to join Instructional League in Surprise
By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- While the Royals were wrapping up a tough season up north, they made a move in Kansas City that is expected to improve their future fortunes.

Third baseman Alex Gordon, the No. 2 draft choice in the First-Year Player Draft, came to terms Thursday after nearly four months of negotiations.

"We got an exceptional kid," said Deric Ladnier, the Royals' senior director of scouting.

After signing his contract, Ladnier said that Gordon would be on a late-afternoon flight for Arizona, where he will join the Royals' Instructional League club at its base in Surprise.

Gordon was the highest draft selection in Royals history.

Just where he will play next season in the Minor League organization is not known.

"A lot will depend on what we can accomplish this winter but it would probably be High Desert or Double-A," Ladnier said. "Realistically, probably High Desert."

High Desert is the Royals' top Single-A club. Their Double-A club is Wichita.

The Arizona Instructional League will run through Oct. 15. Ladnier said he did not know if Major League Baseball could find a spot later for Gordon in the Arizona Fall League, which begins Oct. 4.

Initial plans call for Gordon to continue working out in Arizona and it's possible he might be placed on an AFL "taxi squad" if he's deemed ready, Ladnier said.

Gordon this year hit .372 for the University of Nebraska's College World Series team. He had 19 home runs and 66 RBIs in 253 at-bats.

He also scored 79 runs and walked 63 times with just 38 strikeouts. He had a .518 on-base percentage and a .715 slugging percentage.

He was the winner of college baseball's "triple crown," the Golden Spikes Award, the Dick Howser Trophy and Baseball America's College Player of the Year.

Gordon was selected on June 7 behind the Arizona Diamondbacks' pick of prep shortstop Justin Upton.

Dick Kaegel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Bowser
09-29-2005, 10:37 AM
Wonder if they'll stick him at first base or in right field. He has a cannon for an arm, right?

ChiTown
09-29-2005, 10:46 AM
Wonder if they'll stick him at first base or in right field. He has a cannon for an arm, right?

I really think they'd like to get Huber in the 1B rotation and let him improve his skills there. So, I'd guess Gordon goes to RF. Gordon has a very good arm, and would make a nice RF. Butler is still work in progress. He's probably better suited as a DH than anything else. He's not horribly instinctive in LF (ie. doesn't get a great jump off the bat, has trouble fielding cleanly, decent arm, but a little erratic). With all that speed, it would be great to see Lubanski playing LF or CF. He just has to be able to get the SO thing under control. He's above average on fielding and throwing the ball. Again, our future OF looks pretty damn solid.

Sure-Oz
09-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Finally some good royals news.

duncan_idaho
09-29-2005, 12:15 PM
The future of the lineup is bright... with that outfield talent, I wouldn't mind seeing Gordon tried at second base...

ChiTown
09-29-2005, 01:12 PM
The future of the lineup is bright... with that outfield talent, I wouldn't mind seeing Gordon tried at second base...

2nd base?

:hmmm:

He doesn't have the range or quickness for that spot, IMO.

shakesthecat
09-29-2005, 01:15 PM
2nd base?

:hmmm:

He doesn't have the range or quickness for that spot, IMO.

That's not as bad as the other day when someone suggested Teahen move there.

I think it's Blanco's job to lose. He may already be the best defensive 2nd baseman in the league.

ChiTown
09-29-2005, 01:20 PM

I think it's Blanco's job to lose. He may already be the best defensive 2nd baseman in the league.

I really like the athletic ability of Blanco at 2b, but I just can't get comfy with him at the plate. His swing is just horrible. That said, I'd rather have him playing there then Gotay or Murphy.

shakesthecat
09-29-2005, 01:29 PM
I really like the athletic ability of Blanco at 2b, but I just can't get comfy with him at the plate. His swing is just horrible. That said, I'd rather have him playing there then Gotay or Murphy.

Yeah, he's pretty much an automatic out, but I can live with that as long as he's playing Gold Glove level D. That's something Gotay or Murphy will never be.

Maybe it's just coinky dink, but Berroa seems to be playing better since Blanco was called up.

Eleazar
09-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Blanco at 2B ~= young Carlos Febles.

Million dollar glove and a $.10 bat

KChiefs1
09-29-2005, 01:41 PM
So did he get his Major League contract that he wanted?

SithCeNtZ
09-29-2005, 01:54 PM
With all that speed, it would be great to see Lubanski playing LF or CF. He just has to be able to get the SO thing under control. He's above average on fielding and throwing the ball. .

Ummmm no. From baseball america: "As a center fielder, he needs to improve his reads and first-step quickness. He has a below-average arm and several scouts project him as a left fielder."

ChiTown
09-29-2005, 02:08 PM
Ummmm no. From baseball america: "As a center fielder, he needs to improve his reads and first-step quickness. He has a below-average arm and several scouts project him as a left fielder."

Yeah, Baseball America nails it every time.......not

He may very well be better suited as a LF (which I state). Without a link to that, I have no idea when that was written. However, my buddy, who is a MLB scout, tells me he's a much improved fielder. His arm strength has really developed in the field. He also tells me that he reacts much better off the bat than he did in yr one. He says he's going to be an excellent OF'r - either LF or CF.

nascher
09-29-2005, 02:23 PM
actually we have the NUMBER 1 PICK NEXT YEAR !!!

Coogs
09-29-2005, 02:25 PM
I found the answer to my own question. The D-Backs have not signed their #1, and as of yesterday, reports are that they may not. Justin Upton is the kids name. He can play SS, 3rd, or CF. :hmmm:

beavis
09-29-2005, 02:34 PM

From the way Allard talked today, I wouldn't be suprised to see Blanco at short and Berroa gone. I don't think I can handle another season of watching that piece of shit swing at pitches in the dirt.

ChiTown
09-29-2005, 02:42 PM
From the way Allard talked today, I wouldn't be suprised to see Blanco at short and Berroa gone. I don't think I can handle another season of watching that piece of shit swing at pitches in the dirt.

Yep. Mr. September for the Royals can ***** straight the hell off. Since his rookie season. Angel has managed to disappear between the months of April-August. After he's been well rested, and the Royals are 45 Games Back, he generally get's hot.

What did Allard say that would lead you to believe he's gone? If so, Blanco will probably take over SS and Gotay would man down 2b. Talk about having absolutely no firepower up the gut

C - Buck .241 BA, 11 HR, 45 RBI (115 Games)

SS - Blanco .185, 0 HR, 3 RBI (22 Games)

2B - Gotay .227, 5HRs, 29 RBI (86 Games)

That's limp-dick bat city.............

Maybe we better spend our FA money on the middle infield vs Corner OF? Fook it, we need help everywhere.

Pitt Gorilla
09-29-2005, 02:56 PM
"Start printing playoff tickets!!" (Sorry, I had to do it before someone else made the remark...)

Mecca
09-29-2005, 03:14 PM

Yep. Mr. September for the Royals can ***** straight the hell off. Since his rookie season. Angel has managed to disappear between the months of April-August. After he's been well rested, and the Royals are 45 Games Back, he generally get's hot.

What did Allard say that would lead you to believe he's gone? If so, Blanco will probably take over SS and Gotay would man down 2b. Talk about having absolutely no firepower up the gut

C - Buck .241 BA, 11 HR, 45 RBI (115 Games)

SS - Blanco .185, 0 HR, 3 RBI (22 Games)

2B - Gotay .227, 5HRs, 29 RBI (86 Games)

That's limp-dick bat city.............

Maybe we better spend our FA money on the middle infield vs Corner OF? Fook it, we need help everywhere.

A.J. Burnett although I seriously doubt they'll spend the kinda money he wants but we need an ace pitcher bad.

Pitt Gorilla
09-29-2005, 03:17 PM
A.J. Burnett although I seriously doubt they'll spend the kinda money he wants but we need an ace pitcher bad.
That guy is fading. I wonder if we'll look at Millwood. He's fading as well, but he'd be a lot cheaper...

Mecca
09-29-2005, 03:19 PM
A.J. Burnett has awesome stuff, it's just a matter of he's been inconsistent this year. Just like well, the whole Marlins team. He won 6 in a row and threw back to back shutouts at 1 point. The talents there, I wouln't say hes fading.

He's 20 times the pitcher Kevin Millwood is.

Pitt Gorilla
09-29-2005, 03:21 PM
A.J. Burnett has awesome stuff, it's just a matter of he's been inconsistent this year. Just like well, the whole Marlins team. He won 6 in a row and threw back to back shutouts at 1 point. The talents there, I wouln't say hes fading.

He's 20 times the pitcher Kevin Millwood is.Which is exactly why we won't be able to afford him. We can't pay top dollar and more for a guy that is that inconsistent.

Mecca
09-29-2005, 03:24 PM
We need atleast 1 legit starting pitcher. If you put Burnett at the front of the rotation, that alone improves us quite a bit. He's from Arkansas so if we are willing to pay him it's possible we'd have a better shot than you'd think.

BigChiefFan
09-29-2005, 03:31 PM
Put me in the Burnett camp as well. The kid is better than any pitcher we currently have.

ChiTown
09-29-2005, 03:34 PM
Put me in the Burnett camp as well. The kid is better than any pitcher we currently have.

Apparently, you haven't seen Colt Griffin pitch..............

BigChiefFan
09-29-2005, 03:36 PM
Apparently, you haven't seen Colt Griffin pitch..............
No-they haven't brought him up to the bigs to my knowledge. He's supposed to have a cannon for an arm, but no way I'm ready to say he's better than Burnett at this point.

Mecca
09-29-2005, 03:38 PM
If they ever bring Colt Griffin up it will be like that part in Major League. "Just a bit outside,Ball 4, Ball 8 and Ball 12, Vaughn has walked the bases loaded."

ChiTown
09-29-2005, 03:42 PM
No-they haven't brought him up to the bigs to my knowledge. He's supposed to have a cannon for an arm, but no way I'm ready to say he's better than Burnett at this point.

Sorry, dude. But Colt Griffin is the next Nuke. You just wait............

I'm FN kidding!!!!!!!!!!!

Eleazar
09-29-2005, 03:43 PM
No effin way will Burnett pitch here.

Why would a team that lost 105 games and needs help all over the field, supposedly a pauper of a team, spend $6 million on one pitcher?

Why would a pitcher who's being kicked to the curb after blasting a team for being losers and managing scared come to the Royals?

I'd be as happy as anyone to have a real pitcher around here... but I don't see it...

duncan_idaho
09-29-2005, 03:59 PM
A.J. Burnett will be wearing pinstripes (or blue and red) next year. And you know what—no one will really miss him.

The guy has all kinds of god-given ability, but no idea how to pitch. When a guy with that type of stuff has a career record around .500, there's a reason.

You know what else? He's going to be the next free agent bust. And he's the last type of influence you want around a bunch of young pitchers trying to learn how to survive in the big leagues. Burnett has no clue—all he has is a golden arm that occasionally gets him by. Burnett never will be an elite pitcher.

I'd put money on it.

beavis
09-29-2005, 07:52 PM

It wasn't so much what he said, but what he didn't say. Petro started to press him on the middle infield issue, and the most he would say is that Berroa had disappointed him. I think if he could get any kind of value out of him at all, he'd have to do it. I could live with having weak bats in the middle, if they play defense and we can get some production out of the corner spots. I gotta think with Butler, Gordon, Maier, and Lubanski all within a year of being here (the exception being Lubanski) we could at least throw some kind of power out there.

Listening to Ladnier talk today, they are dead set on keeping Gordon at third, but Baird wouldn't go that far. I think a lot of it hinges on Teahan's development. If he turns into anything close to Joe Randa like, I think Gordon is playing right field next year.

tk13
09-30-2005, 01:35 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12778222.htm

Now Gordon must prove he’s a top-dollar talent
JOE POSNANSKI
Kansas City Star

In the old days — let’s go back 25 or 30 years — we baseball fans didn’t think about first-round draft picks. In fact, we didn’t think much about minor-league baseball. I think back then we figured that minor-leaguers were, you know, in the minor leagues, and we did not need to worry about them until they were good enough to be on the major-league team.

In fact, the only time I can ever recall thinking about minor-league baseball players was when I would get a “Future Stars” baseball card. Remember those? They were baseball cards that would feature a certain number of your favorite team’s, um, future stars.

I particularly remember the 1980s Indians Future Stars card that featured three future star pitchers: Larry Andersen, Bobby Cuellar and Sandy Wihtol. I remember walking around with that card in my pocket and every so often I would look at it and think: Hey, these are future stars! This team will be great for years to come!

It didn’t quite turn out that way. Andersen did become a pretty good middle reliever, though not for Cleveland. Cuellar and Wihtol won a combined one game in the big leagues. The Indians would stink for another decade.

The title “future stars” didn’t mean much back then.

I was thinking about all this on Thursday when the Royals had a news conference to announce they had finally signed first-round pick Alex Gordon. It was an exciting day. Gordon was wearing a No. 4 Royals jersey — though not, we would find out, to represent the $4 million signing bonus he had received. His family sat in the front row. Proud Royals personnel gathered around. All around the city, Royals fans high-fived.

Gordon sat behind a microphone, and he looked like a star (some people just have that look), and he fielded this question: “Did you have to think hard before signing with a team that has lost 100 games three out of the last four years?”

Now, let me say this: I like Alex Gordon. He comes from a nice family. He has a sweet swing and a closet full of college baseball awards.

But I have to admit, when that question came up I wanted to throw up.

It wasn’t the last time the question came up either. Gordon was asked a couple of other variations of that theme: “Do you think the Royals are worthy of you?” I got numerous e-mails asking the same question. Two people left voice mails asking that question.

Now look, I understand the Royals are having a dreadful season.

But, if I’m not mistaken, the Royals are a major-league baseball team that just gave Alex Gordon $4 million. And Alex Gordon, for all his promise, has done nothing. N-O-T-H-I-N-G. He has not had one hit as a professional baseball player. He has not fielded one minor league ground ball. He has barely taken any swings with a wood bat, for crying out loud.

Now, I happen to think Alex Gordon will be a good major-league player. He’s got the swing. He’s got the look. But hey, I also thought the Chiefs were going to win at Denver and DIVX was the wave of the future. There is a harsh reality in baseball — some of the greatest prospects in the world flop.

For fun, let’s look at the top 10 draft picks from 1987 to 1996. I split up the players in two groups: Players who became regulars in the big leagues and players who did not.

Players who became regulars: 52.

Players who did not: 48.

Look at that. These are the top 10 picks in the draft — Top Gun’s “best of the best” — and only 52 percent even became everyday major-league players. Fifty-two is a failing grade at pretty much every single school in America.

Then, I picked out the players who became multiple All-Stars — that is guys who made the All-Star team more than once. And I picked out the complete busts who never played a single game or won a single game.

All-Stars: 10.

Complete busts: 20.

You see? Based on 10 years of baseball drafts, your chances of taking a future bust are twice as great as your chances of getting, say, a Frank Thomas or Chipper Jones. Based on some of the Royals’ top 10 picks (Jeff Granger, Jeff Austin, Mike Stodolka, Colt Griffin) the odds in Kansas City are even greater.

Where does this leave Alex Gordon? That’s up to him and how hard he is willing to work. But I’ll say that early signs haven’t been great. It took him four months to decide that, yeah, all right, he would play baseball for $4 million. Thursday, he was asked whether he would go play in Puerto Rico this winter, as the Royals want. He said he would “think about it.” This doesn’t make Gordon a bad kid — he’s by all accounts a good kid. He’s a product of the times.

That’s fine. But he needs to understand the odds out there. I knew a guy once named Ty Griffin who was an Olympic hero in 1988; some of his Team USA records still stand. He was a can’t-miss prospect with the Cubs. He missed. He couldn’t hit, he struggled so much defensively he once told me he hoped the ball wasn’t hit to him.

This stuff happens in baseball all the time. Times have changed for first-round draft picks. They get a lot of money now. Fans know their names. They have big news conferences. But one thing hasn’t changed: Those words “future stars” still don’t mean much. You have to play your way to stardom. You want an answer to the question: Did Alex Gordon make the right move signing with the Royals for $4 million? You bet he did. He made the best move of his life.

Now, in the next couple of years, we’ll find out how well the Royals did.