PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Defensive Homers...

Warrior5
09-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Someone else can do an O analysis. Weigh in with your strategy for limiting the powerful Eagles O.

My .02:

The decisive point, IMO, is getting to McNabb and limiting Westbrook. The Eagles' MO is pass-heavy. Our non-penetrating F4 will need help, but we can't blitz every down.

1. Put Kawika on permanent Westbrook duty since he's quick enough to keep up with him. We MUST contain Westbrook.

2. Our CBs MUST jam WRs at LOS to disrupt route timing; stop playing the soft cover.

3. Situationally, blitz with either DJ or Bell to stay in McNabb's grill.

4. TO will get his catches, but if the Chiefs can pressure/hurry McNabb, that will hopefully limit him deep.

Katipan
09-29-2005, 10:25 AM
I like when Knight blitzes.

And I hope they paint a target on McNabb and go after him all night long.

walkingwindchime
09-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Is Kawaki a linebacker??

Gaz
09-29-2005, 10:51 AM
We will get burned a lot, but we must put the heat on McNabb. Send someone after him on every down. Send several someones on occasion. Yes, Westbrook and Owens will make us pay for it, but we must disrupt the passing game. The front 4 are not getting it done, so we have to blitz. The soft zone is not going to cut it.

McNabb’s injury probably already has him thinking about getting hit. We need to ratchet up his anxiety level by hitting him hard and relentlessly.

xoxo~
Gaz
Walking the death or glory trail.

Gaz
09-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Is Kawaki a linebacker??

Kawika Mitchell is our MLB.

xoxo~
Gaz
Pleasantly surprised by that fact.

DeepSouth
09-29-2005, 11:09 AM
My plan to beat the eagles;

Just do what Atlanta did.

Katipan
09-29-2005, 11:10 AM

ok but lets not send a CB to start a fight.

send boomer

Warrior5
09-29-2005, 11:13 AM

send boomer

You, ma'am, get rep. ROFL

Warrior5
09-29-2005, 11:14 AM

Didn't watch the game; what did the Falcons do?

Barret
09-29-2005, 11:15 AM

send boomer

But if we sent in Scanlon couldnt he get their whole team banned from the game and the Chiefs will win by default??

B_Ambuehl
09-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Kawika probably led the NFL in missed tackles on running backs he had on his sites last year. He's improved this year but you still don't go in with the intention of matching him up on Westbrook. It'll happen time to time yes. But not exactly something your'e looking forward to.

There are many ways to defend the Eagles but they're gonna throw the ball and pick up yards though the air regardless. The bottom line is you have to limit YAC 100% of the time and don't give up bombs down the field. When you blitz you tend to give up big plays down the field which is further compounded by blitzing a mobile quarterback sooo.....live or die with it. Ideally you could run your nickel defense and be able to match up in the pass and stop the run with it. I don't think the Chiefs can though with their current state at D-tackle.

I'll have a more indepth report later on in the week.

JakeT
09-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Unfortunately - we don't have the physical corners to knock TO off his routes. If we did, I love to see us handle him how Jacksonville handled the Colts -- route the receivers inside in the zone and let the linebackers crack em before the 5 yd mark. -- I'm guessing the best we will do is place Knight on top of Owens just like we did against Moss.

Also - before Fox got hurt I was wondering why the Chiefs just don't go 3-4 and blitz a linebacker on all passing downs - surely our speed at lb can used to help us get pressure more than this D-line.

Fish
09-29-2005, 12:31 PM
3 out of 7 voices in my head say containing Westbrook is key to winning the game. I think McNabb will make mistakes and give us chances to win if we keep Westbrook in check and contain Owens as best we can.

Simply Red
09-29-2005, 12:37 PM
Please ohh please, Set up the screen more and use the pump-fake draw with Holmes up the middle...

wolfpack0735
09-29-2005, 01:04 PM
sapp seems to be our best man at pass rushing send him in.

Warrior5
09-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Please ohh please, Set up the screen more and use the pump-fake draw with Holmes up the middle...

This is a defense thread; go start an O thread.

BTW, I agree, and also throw more screens to Holmes out of the backfield. I have no idea why we've gotten away from that.

Warrior5
09-30-2005, 05:24 AM
3 out of 7 voices in my head say containing Westbrook is key to winning the game. I think McNabb will make mistakes and give us chances to win if we keep Westbrook in check and contain Owens as best we can.

I agree with the 3 voices; what do the other 4 say?

Gun said during the pre-season that he got everything he wanted on D, and that he now had no excuses. Donk-land is history; time to "Chief up", Gun.

...holding Gun's feet to the fire.