PDA

View Full Version : Heating your home this winter

Donger
09-30-2005, 09:13 AM
If you heat your home using natural gas, expect to pay 64% more than you did last year.

If you heat your home using heating oil, expect to pay 32% more than you did last year.

Ouch, or "Brrrrr!" as the case may be.

ArrowheadHawk
09-30-2005, 09:16 AM
ill just burn some logs and not pay shit extra as long as my house don't burn down

Bowser
09-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Looks like we'll be hagin' out at the neighbors house a bunch this winter.....

ArrowheadHawk
09-30-2005, 09:18 AM
Looks like we'll be hagin' out at the neighbors house a bunch this winter.....
mooocher

Bowser
09-30-2005, 09:18 AM
mooocher

Bah! I'll bring the beer......

trndobrd
09-30-2005, 09:19 AM
I heat my home by burning junk mail.

Katipan
09-30-2005, 09:19 AM
everyone come to arizona

Biohazard
09-30-2005, 09:23 AM
ill just burn some logs and not pay shit extra as long as my house don't burn down
I with ya, its a pain to cut but its cheap! I used about $150 in propane last year the whole winter, buy burning wood.

PastorMikH
09-30-2005, 09:25 AM
Yeah, those hurricanes hitting the plains of South West Kansas have really put a glitch in the supply lines.

Saulbadguy
09-30-2005, 09:27 AM
I'll just turn the heater to 55.

Simplex3
09-30-2005, 09:28 AM
I with ya, its a pain to cut but its cheap! I used about $150 in propane last year the whole winter, buy burning wood.
Why would you want to purchase wood that's already burning?

Bowser
09-30-2005, 09:29 AM

Less of a hassle to light it. Duh.

Skip Towne
09-30-2005, 09:32 AM
I've lost 10 IQ points reading this thread.

Biohazard
Im not real sure, maybe I should just steal it from the neighbor! Spelling Nazi! :D

jspchief
I wonder at what point it becomes more economical to use electric space heaters in conjunction with a furnace at a lower setting.

This normally wouldn't bother me, since I like to keep the house cold enough to hang meat. But this year I have a child to keep warm.

Tinlar
I heat my home in the winter by allowing my wife to bitch unabated in the winter season. That's enough hot air to fill a blimb.

BigMeatballDave
09-30-2005, 09:34 AM
I set the thermostat last year at 70. Looks like I'll have to set it around 67...

ArrowheadHawk
09-30-2005, 09:34 AM
I wonder at what point it becomes more economical to use electric space heaters in conjunction with a furnace at a lower setting.

This normally wouldn't bother me, since I like to keep the house cold enough to hang meat. But this year I have a child to keep warm.
thats a bitch i have the same problem...the old lady always worring if the kids are cold turning the heater up

JimNasium
09-30-2005, 09:35 AM
everyone come to arizona
I'm reading duel meaning in this post.

Saulbadguy
09-30-2005, 09:37 AM

Very economical for some people. I'm on a level payment plan for electricity. Its $44 a month no matter how much , or how little I use.

Gotta buy the damn things though.

cookster50
09-30-2005, 09:42 AM

Dang, your down to 0 left!

PastorMikH
09-30-2005, 09:42 AM

Wow! Skips IQ has dropped in half as he read this thread!

:)

Donger
09-30-2005, 09:43 AM
FWIW, you save about 4% on your heating bill for each degree F that you lower your thermostat.

Buy a programmable thermostat with four settings each day: night, morning, day and evening.

JimNasium
09-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Wow! Skips IQ has dropped in half as he read this thread!

:)
I think he may have hit a deficit actually.

PastorMikH
09-30-2005, 09:44 AM

Its been my experience that those little 110 space heaters get really expensive.

People would probably be better served to make sure their homes are well insulated and if you don't have double or tripple pane windows, put plastic over them.

Skip Towne
09-30-2005, 09:49 AM
I think he may have hit a deficit actually.
Now that I'm surrounded by all this brilliance, I think I gained that 10 points back.

tomahawk kid
09-30-2005, 09:51 AM

I've used this strategy + a wood burning fire place to get through last winter.

Worked fairly well. Looks like I'll be cutting some extra wood for this winter though.

Bwana
09-30-2005, 09:54 AM
I heat my home in the winter by allowing my wife to bitch unabated in the winter season. That's enough hot air to fill a blimb.

Saaaaaaaay! I like that better than my plan "A" which would consist of going back out to the mountains, playing lumber jack next weekend and getting more wood to burn this winter.

Wife: It sure is getting cold in here.

Bwana: Wow, have you put on weight? Those pants sure make your butt look big.

By God, I think that would raise the temp about 15 degrees at any given time. :hmmm:

Katipan
09-30-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm reading duel meaning in this post.

you wanna duel?

i pick water balloons at 50 paces

it's just so hot here.

JimNasium
09-30-2005, 10:25 AM
you wanna duel?

it's just so hot here.
:hmmm: Will you wear a tshirt?

Lzen
09-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Would someone please explain why the Hell natural gas prices are going up? I thought natural gas came from the ground and we had plenty of sources in this country. WTF?

Katipan
09-30-2005, 10:38 AM
it has something to do with the hurricanes and bush hating black people

PastorMikH
09-30-2005, 10:39 AM
you wanna duel?

it's just so hot here.

50 paces? I've seen JimN, I doubt he could hit you at 5 paces.

Donger
09-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Would someone please explain why the Hell natural gas prices are going up? I thought natural gas came from the ground and we had plenty of sources in this country. WTF?

Supply and demand.

Lzen
09-30-2005, 10:50 AM
it has something to do with the hurricanes and bush hating black people

Huh? I don't get it.

Lzen
09-30-2005, 10:51 AM
Supply and demand.

Well thanks for clearing that up.
:rolleyes:

Can someone explain the details? Or is this just more BS of "hey, now is our chance to hike up our customers' bills and blame it on the hurricanes"?

BIG_DADDY
09-30-2005, 10:53 AM
Looks like we will be burning a lot this year.

Donger
09-30-2005, 10:53 AM

Can someone explain the details? Or is this just more BS of "hey, now is our chance to hike up our customers' bills and blame it on the hurricanes"?

Well, considering that many of the rigs in the Gulf don't drill for oil, but for NG, then yes, both hurricanes did damage. Plus, they also damaged processing and distribution systems in the Gulf area.

Saulbadguy
09-30-2005, 10:55 AM
I'd say they are out to **** us.

Bowser
09-30-2005, 10:55 AM

Donger means that demand is going to go up for natural gas, but the supply stays steady. It is a type of way to get people to not use as much gas. But it won't work, and the economy will go to shit. Eventually.

And you might have answered your own question.....

jspchief
09-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Would someone please explain why the Hell natural gas prices are going up? I thought natural gas came from the ground and we had plenty of sources in this country. WTF?I think I heard that natural gas isn't really that "natural". While some of it comes directly from the earth, a significant portion of it is extruded or created from oil.

I'll see if I can find the link.

oldandslow
09-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Natural gas has definitely peaked in North America. Even former CEO of Exxon Mobil, Lee Raymond admitted as much. The world, however, has not peaked in natural gas, and probably will not for about 15-20 years. That's the good news.

The bad news though is, we cannot, in the near term, import our way of the mess we have created. Canada doesn't seem to be able to supply any additional amounts. Katrina & Rita means about 60% of NG production is offline in the short term. Natural gas is THE story of the hurricanes, in energy terms. It's a bad deal. That's why you have the admin, not known for sounding the energy consumption warnings, sounding them pretty loudly right now about NG.

Many homes are heated with NG, and in addition to electrical generation, NG is used for many other uses, such as fertilizer, industrial plants, chemicals, etc.

It will be a brutal winter, if we see sustained, colder than normal temperatures across the nation. Better plan what to do if you live in parts that get really cold. Warm clothing, alternate heat source, whatever. Truly, you should be ready not just for the inevitable higher prices, but possibly not having grid supplied heat as well, at least for short periods.

ZepSinger
09-30-2005, 12:39 PM

Heard ya there. I typically get a cord of firewood every October and burn it big time throughout the winter. Saves a TON on the gas bill...
Z

Simplex3
09-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Saaaaaaaay! I like that better than my plan "A" which would consist of going back out to the mountains, playing lumber jack next weekend and getting more wood to burn this winter.

Wife: It sure is getting cold in here.

Bwana: Wow, have you put on weight? Those pants sure make your butt look big.

By God, I think that would raise the temp about 15 degrees at any given time. :hmmm:
The temp in the bedroom would go down severly, though. Of course you're married so nothing happens there anyway...

Simplex3
09-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Good thing I removed my fireplace and built in an entertainment center with a big screen. ROFL

Rain Man
09-30-2005, 12:50 PM
I tend to keep the temperature relatively low, and then use a space heater in the room where I'm at. I'll probably be doing that more than ever this year. My wife is thinking that we could approach a $500 heating bill sometime this winter. That truly stinks.

alanm
09-30-2005, 12:56 PM
I'd say they are out to **** us.
They may or may not. But my Natural gas company sends out packets in the spring(April) to choose your choice of distributors. I did and the gas rate is locked in for the coming winter. So if they get hit up with a price hike from their distributor THEIR f*cked. I want to see them come back with a little flyer that says since their price is going up it's only natural that we have to accept a price hike this fall. Half the town would be on a phone to a lawyer so fast they wouldn't know what hit them. :)

Katipan
09-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Good thing I removed my fireplace and built in an entertainment center with a big screen. ROFL

atta boy

ROFL

vailpass
09-30-2005, 01:07 PM
everyone come to arizona

Yes, by all means move to AZ. I don't see nearly enough traffic every day as I drive the 101 to the 17 to the 10.
Please come to AZ and bring all of your cars with you. /sarcasm

Taco John
09-30-2005, 01:10 PM
My wife and I are actually going to REI tomorrow to pick out some thermal underwear for the winter.

Simplex3
09-30-2005, 01:14 PM
My wife and I are actually going to REI tomorrow to pick out some thermal underwear for the winter.
Crotchless?

Hoover
09-30-2005, 01:15 PM
We just bought an old house. I'm a little worried about the heating bills. We have radiators with a gas boiler. I'm thinking about setting the house to 60, and get some electric heaters for the rooms we hang out in. The Good news is the out side walls of my house are solid 16 inches of brick, so that should help.

Katipan
09-30-2005, 01:15 PM
Yes, by all means move to AZ. I don't see nearly enough traffic every day as I drive the 101 to the 17 to the 10.
Please come to AZ and bring all of your cars with you. /sarcasm

ok everyone come to arizona and use the 202

Katipan
09-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Crotchless?

damn you i wanted to say bottomless (like kid pjs) but now its not nearly as funny

Chiefnj
09-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Anyone know of a good mail order place for affordable soapstone wood burning stoves??

penguinz
09-30-2005, 01:39 PM
The Good news is the out side walls of my house are solid 16 inches of brick, so that should help.Only if it is insulated. ;)

Nzoner
09-30-2005, 01:41 PM
6 years ago when we built we opted for the in-ground heat pump with cellulose insullation throughout the building.All electric,and best decision we ever made.

Taco John
09-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Crotchless?

Now that's a hell of an idea!

Rain Man
09-30-2005, 02:12 PM
6 years ago when we built we opted for the in-ground heat pump with cellulose insullation throughout the building.All electric,and best decision we ever made.

I have a theory that heat pumps will eventually cause the earth to implode and destroy all life on earth.

They're a clever concept, though.

Chiefsrocker
09-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Ok I have a alternative for everyone. My company sells corn and wood pellet stoves. These are a very well built and sturdy unit and come in many models and trim colors. Corn stoves burn field corn that is less than 15% moisture content. You can buy corn at many COOP's and elevators. Pellet stoves burn wood pellets and the pellets run about &1.80 a 40 lb. bag. Averages out to about $180 a ton. I am aiming for burning about 4 ton of pellets all winter, and not even turning on my gas furnace. These stoves vent out the side of the house, so there is no vent going up the wall. Most have glass fronts and can even add a log kit to them. Remember, these stoves are very well built. You wont find them at Lowes or Builders Square. In fact, we buy them from the manufacturer(Nebraska) and they are really having a hard time keeping up wioth orders, but we do have some in stock, and some on the showroom floor hooked up and burning if you like to see them burning. I really like mine and the wife really enjoys the fire. If anyone is interested, let me know for prices and models. We can even install if close enuff for our area. I am in NE Kansas, about an hour from St. Joe. Here is a pic of one model.

http://www.eventempinc.com/stcroix/stoves/aftonbay/abbooks.jpg (http://www.eventempinc.com/stcroix/stoves/aftonbay/abbooks.html)

onescrewleftuntwisted
09-30-2005, 05:26 PM
We just bought an old house. I'm a little worried about the heating bills. We have radiators with a gas boiler. I'm thinking about setting the house to 60, and get some electric heaters for the rooms we hang out in. The Good news is the out side walls of my house are solid 16 inches of brick, so that should help.

carpet or wood floors?

i wood floors is what you got get some throw rugs cause, they are like walking on ice in the winter

Herzig
09-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Is it possible to replace a gas log fireplace with one of these?

Ok I have a alternative for everyone. My company sells corn and wood pellet stoves. These are a very well built and sturdy unit and come in many models and trim colors. Corn stoves burn field corn that is less than 15% moisture content. You can buy corn at many COOP's and elevators. Pellet stoves burn wood pellets and the pellets run about &1.80 a 40 lb. bag. Averages out to about $180 a ton. I am aiming for burning about 4 ton of pellets all winter, and not even turning on my gas furnace. These stoves vent out the side of the house, so there is no vent going up the wall. Most have glass fronts and can even add a log kit to them. Remember, these stoves are very well built. You wont find them at Lowes or Builders Square. In fact, we buy them from the manufacturer(Nebraska) and they are really having a hard time keeping up wioth orders, but we do have some in stock, and some on the showroom floor hooked up and burning if you like to see them burning. I really like mine and the wife really enjoys the fire. If anyone is interested, let me know for prices and models. We can even install if close enuff for our area. I am in NE Kansas, about an hour from St. Joe. Here is a pic of one model.

http://www.eventempinc.com/stcroix/stoves/aftonbay/abbooks.jpg (http://www.eventempinc.com/stcroix/stoves/aftonbay/abbooks.html)

Jenny Gump
09-30-2005, 05:43 PM

Wow, that only leaves you with 43. You need to be careful what you read.

Chiefsrocker
09-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Yes, you can replace the log set with an pellet insert. Have to take out the firewood insert and slip in the pellet insert.

Herzig
09-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Yes, you can replace the log set with an pellet insert. Have to take out the firewood insert and slip in the pellet insert.

What would something like that cost?