PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with COACH VERMEIL, 9/30

Donger
09-30-2005, 12:05 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/09/30/qa_with_coach_vermeil2/

Q: You said on Tuesday that Trent Green was calling some of his own plays. How many does he call?

VERMEIL: “In the two-minute drills he calls them a number of times. Of course, it’s all pre-determined. There’s plays that we’d like to be used at that time. He did a good job.”

Q: How many times normally in a game without the two-minute drill does he do it?

VERMEIL: “Very seldom. Every once in a while a play doesn’t get in. He called a play-action pass in the Denver game the other night because we had a breakdown in communication with the head set. But it doesn’t happen very often.”

Q: Does Keyaron Fox need surgery?

VERMEIL: “No, Keyaron Fox is not going to have surgery. It’s going to be just rehab. It’s probably six to 10 weeks and we have to make a decision what we’re going to do.”

Q: What about Ryan Sims?

VERMEIL: “Ryan Sims may be longer. Right now, if there is surgery, he’s more apt to have surgery in the future if it doesn’t go well rather than Fox.”

Q: How long to do you wait before making a decision to put him on IR?

VERMEIL: “That’s up to management.”

Q: How about Carlos Hall?

VERMEIL: “I expect him to play. I expected him to play last week. He should be ready to go this week.”

Q: What kind of measuring stick is this game Sunday for your team?

VERMEIL: “It measures how good we are after four games. That’s what it is.”

Q: You don’t use a game like this to tell you what you’re capable of?

VERMEIL: “Especially this early in the season you’ve got to be careful doing that: setting all your sights on one game. Everybody knows they’re a good football team. Everybody knows they have a great road record and in reality last year they were 13-1. The last two (games) they didn’t play their (starting) people. We know how good they are and our players know by looking at the video tapes. We said all along our first four games of the season were very, very tough and I think our statement has proven to be right. The Jets have faltered a bit because of injuries, but Oakland’s very competitive and Denver we knew was going to be good.”

Q: How important is it to go into the bye week with a win?

VERMEIL: “With a bye coming up it’s always nice to go into a bye after a win. We did it last year, winning the Monday night game in Baltimore. It was a great football game. It’ll be tough to do, not impossible, but tough.”

Q: Does the bye come at a good time?

VERMEIL: “I think it comes at a good time. We’ve played eight football games as of Sunday: four pre-season and four regular season. You can look at it as mid-season. You can freshen up and go back to work. It’s always more fun going into a bye after a win.”

Q: We talked about players having bumps and bruises and being slowed by that, would that description fit the overall offense right now?

VERMEIL: “We’re pretty healthy, I think, other than Willie Roaf. If he doesn’t play this week he’ll sure as heck play as soon as we come out of the bye. I visited with him and he’s working very hard and he’d rather practice than do the work we have him doing now.

“Our offensive line has never played together. Our starting five across has never played together this year. That’s just how it is. Every once in a while you get hit like that and eventually it’ll resolve itself. But the positive is you develop some young players that had to go in and play. Jordan Black is a better football player than he was three weeks ago. He’s been forced to be; he’s lined up on Pro Bowl football players and overall he’s done a good job considering as little experience he has playing left tackle – Kevin Sampson too. They all grow through experience and they’ll end up being better football players because of it.”

Q: This will be the last game you play without Warfield and Welbourn (suspended). What have they been able to do?

VERMEIL: “Well, Welbourn can’t even be here, so he’s in southern California. Warfield’s been here and worked out every day. He gets one-on-one with one of our strength coaches every day. He’s allowed to come to the meetings and then he has to disappear and can’t even come to games. That’s the rules.”

Q: What does it mean for you to have him come back?

VERMEIL: “You always get depth. I don’t know how long it’ll take him to get ready to play. You also have to create a roster spot for him.”

Q: You said he won’t automatically get his position back, but will there be a competition for that right corner spot?

VERMEIL: “Sure there’s a competition. Dexter McCleon isn’t going to surrender. I don’t know how long it’s going to take Eric Warfield to get back to what he was. The last game he played he didn’t play very well. It was a pre-season game and his frame of mind wasn’t good and he was very disappointed and he was down about not being able to continue to play and it affected how he played. But we all know he can play and play well when he’s right. I don’t how long it’ll take to get him right.”

Simply Red
09-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Carlos Hall should be back. Also, It sounds like Roaf still MAY play.
That is decent news...

philfree
09-30-2005, 12:14 PM
Too bad we can't IR Fox and pick up or trade for Winborn who is being shopped by the 9ers. Or can we? :hmmm: Same goes for Sims...

PhilFree:arrow:

Simply Red
09-30-2005, 12:24 PM
nice point philfree

Simply Red
09-30-2005, 12:28 PM
Really would have been nice to get Ed Hartwell or Trotier but, oh well, we'll still be better than last year.

ROYC75
09-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Barber will be back soon if Fox is out long .

Simply Red
09-30-2005, 12:33 PM
ROYC75 what is the latest on Barber?

Rain Man
09-30-2005, 12:36 PM
It seems like we've already had more injuries this year than we had all of the last two seasons.

ROYC75
09-30-2005, 12:40 PM
ROYC75 what is the latest on Barber?

I'm not sure, my son said he read or heard ( I don't recall, he called me while I was away from home )that Barber is ready. Just waiting for the time to be activated ..... Take what you want from it, I have no link.

Chiefnj
09-30-2005, 12:41 PM
So Fox is going to be out 6-10 weeks and Sims even longer?

I don't think there is any chance Sims come back in shape after being out 3 months. Put him on IR and get another body in camp.

Simply Red
09-30-2005, 12:41 PM
I reside in Atlanta. Has anyone heard anything that hints Roaf will or will not start? Any local talk about that?

htismaqe
09-30-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure, my son said he read or heard ( I don't recall, he called me while I was away from home )that Barber is ready. Just waiting for the time to be activated ..... Take what you want from it, I have no link.

Barber is on PUP, he can be activated at any time. He's not ready quite yet or he'd be dressing.

Bowser
09-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Barber is on PUP, he can be activated at any time. He's not ready quite yet or he'd be dressing.

Really? I thought it was a mandantory 6 week wait before a guy could dress? :shrug:

htismaqe
09-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Really? I thought it was a mandantory 6 week wait before a guy could dress? :shrug:

I don't think so, but I've been wrong before.

htismaqe
09-30-2005, 12:51 PM
I think they can come off anytime during the 6 weeks. I think the mandatory time is how long they can be ON PUP before either coming off or going to IR.

Bowser
09-30-2005, 12:52 PM
I think they can come off anytime during the 6 weeks. I think the mandatory time is how long they can be ON PUP before either coming off or going to IR.

That's what I was thinking......

htismaqe
09-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Hmmm...

It appears that if a player starts TC on the PUP list, he can come off at any time. Otherwise, it's a mandatory 6 weeks.

http://snipurl.com/i2gk

http://snipurl.com/i2gl