PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical: You get too much change.

Rain Man
09-30-2005, 01:11 PM
You go to the mall, and park your car in Section C4, the one with the big pictures of an effeminate cartoon bear to serve as a pnemonic enhancer. You go into the mall, dodge some senior citizens walking in sneakers, and avert your eyes from the big mole that one of them has that can't possibly be healthy. Instead, you scope out the teenage girls who are buying Cinnabons and getting the sticky white icing all over their faces, their delightful soft pink tongues darting out to lick, lick, lick it all off.

You walk past the Gap, the Baby Gap, the Teenager Gap, the Fulda Gap, and the Tooth Gap, then stop and check out the Samie Parker jerseys on clearance at the Sports Shop. You go to the Food Court, wolf down a Smoothie and some of those seasoned curly french fries, and eventually decide to leave because there's some mother there with four kids under the age of five, and the youngest twins are grossing you out by chewing with their mouths open.

You're not just there to wander, though. You've got an assignment. You go to Sporks N Things, down at the end of the mall near the department store, and you pick up $20 of sporks for your upcoming Potato Salad Party, which is an annual event since the great naked potato salad food fight of 1998.

Sporks N Things is a specialty shop, so there's only you, the manager, and a teenage employee in the place. You're looking specifically for lime green, three-prong sporks, and they find them for you, with a professional but detached demeanor.

The bill comes to $21.26, and you give the teenage cashier a $50 bill, which always kind of thrills you because it makes you feel rich. The kid gives you back your change, and you go back outside, hoping to spend a little more time at the Cinnabon.

Once outside, you look at your change, and you realize that the kid gave you back too much money. Under what conditions would you walk back to correct the error?

Poll forthcoming.

Rain Man
09-30-2005, 01:15 PM
I would return it only if it was more than a certain amount of money. My limit is probably a buck. Anything a buck or more, and I'd probably step back inside.

Simplex3
09-30-2005, 01:16 PM
I'd return it unless I thought the difference could get me one of those teenaged hookers in front of Cinnabon.

Truthfull, anything under a buck isn't worth either of our time.

Raiderhater
09-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Return it regardless of amount.

Only a penny? I'm going back in there simply because I'm smart ass.

Donger
Instead, you scope out the teenage girls who are buying Cinnabons and getting the sticky white icing all over their faces, their delightful soft pink tongues darting out to lick, lick, lick it all off.

Admit it; you're that guy that got arrested for taking pictures of the teenage girls in wet white T-shirts at Ellitch Gardens, aren't you?

Delano
I would return it no matter the ammount. I know from previous experience what kind of a headache it is to be over/short with company money. Might as well make it easier for the employee.

Rain Man
09-30-2005, 01:18 PM
Admit it; you're that guy that got arrested for taking pictures of the teenage girls in wet white T-shirts at Ellitch Gardens, aren't you?

Link?

Donger
09-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Honestly, I can't recall the last time I actually counted the change I'm given.

So, there's not really an option for me.

Goapics1
09-30-2005, 01:20 PM
I'd return it regardless. Why keep it?

Simplex3
09-30-2005, 01:21 PM
I'd return it regardless. Why keep it?
For the teenage Cinnabon hookers. Duh.

Donger
09-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Link?

All I can find is this: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/2336601/detail.html

I remember the photography incident, but can't find a link.

Goapics1
09-30-2005, 01:22 PM
All I can find is this: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/2336601/detail.html

I remember the photography incident, but can't find a link.
NSFW?

KCTitus
Can you clarify something for me on this hypothetical...

How many sporks do you get for 20 bucks?

Donger
NSFW?

No, it's fine.

Nzoner
09-30-2005, 01:24 PM
In all of the detail you didn't mentioned whether the Sporks 'n Things manager was a hot female,this would be helpful in making a decision.

Rain Man
09-30-2005, 01:26 PM
As clarifications, the Sporks N Things manager is a chubby guy with a tie that's too short, and one eye that tends to point a different direction than the other.

And you can get 200 sporks for $20, unless you go for the Anniversary Edition Gold, commemorating the 40th anniversary of the spork, in which case you can only get 50 for $20.

Simplex3
09-30-2005, 01:28 PM
As clarifications, the Sporks N Things manager is a chubby guy with a tie that's too short, and one eye that tends to point a different direction than the other.
What about the cashier? Is that an 18 or 19 year old hottie with a great rack or does the owner of Sporks N Things need better hiring practices?

jspchief
09-30-2005, 01:29 PM
If I had already walked away, I'm not giving it back.

If I realized it as a I stood there, I may or may not give it back depending on various circumstances. Things like size of the store/company, attractiveness of cashier, loyalty or respect for the particular business, and most importantly, my mood. If I'm in a good mood, they'll get it back.

Rain Man
09-30-2005, 01:33 PM
What about the cashier? Is that an 18 or 19 year old hottie with a great rack or does the owner of Sporks N Things need better hiring practices?

The cashier is a skinny teenage male who has the innate look of fear of a kid who gets bullied at school and likes to play Magic: The Gathering so that he can have power in a fantasy universe to make up for the power he lacks in the real universe.

(Note: the good-looking girls don't really want to work at Sporks N Things. They all work at The Body Shop.)

Donger
09-30-2005, 01:34 PM
one eye that tends to point a different direction than the other.

Did you select one to look at, or did you try the "just look between his eyes" method?

Simplex3
09-30-2005, 01:35 PM
The cashier is a skinny teenage male who has the innate look of fear of a kid who gets bullied at school and likes to play Magic: The Gathering so that he can have power in a fantasy universe to make up for the power he lacks in the real universe.

(Note: the good-looking girls don't really want to work at Sporks N Things. They all work at The Body Shop.)
F**k it then. I'm going to The Body Shop and buying some trivial POS with my new found money. Of course I'll need lots of help mulling over the various items.

jAZ
09-30-2005, 01:37 PM
It's a factor of many things...

Distance away before I notice...
Amount of money...
Possible impact in the cashier...

The further away I am when I discover it, the larger the amount needs to be. If it's $10 I might not leave the house to return it, but I will make and effort to remember to stop by and drop it off when I do go out.

If I'm at home and it's $1.50, I'm not going back out to return it and I probably won't even try to remember to do it next time I'm in the area.

If it's $1.50 and I'm still in the store or I'll likely return it.

If it's $0.25 and I'm still at the counter, I'll return it.

Rain Man
09-30-2005, 01:37 PM
Did you select one to look at, or did you try the "just look between his eyes" method?

Assume that since you've shopped at Sporks N Thing before, you've figured out that his left eye is the one to look at.

RedNFeisty
09-30-2005, 01:38 PM
I don't usually give back money for others stupid mistakes. I hate it when little ****s can not count back change and the stupid dickweeds that hire them. That is what the store gets for not training their employees correctly.

HarryParatestes
09-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Huh..what poll? I never made it past the Cinnabon imagry....( lighting cigarette...deep satisfied drag....)

Donger
Assume that since you've shopped at Sporks N Thing before, you've figured out that his left eye is the one to look at.

No, I can't say I've ever been to that store.

So, how did you make that determination that his left eye is the one to look at?

Amnorix
Instead, you scope out the teenage girls who are buying Cinnabons and getting the sticky white icing all over their faces, their delightful soft pink tongues darting out to lick, lick, lick it all off.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

You are a sick, sick man...

kregger
09-30-2005, 01:42 PM

NOw you've ruined the whole wanting to return it for any reason what so ever. Does he have sticky Cinnabon goo all over his face??

Amnorix
09-30-2005, 01:43 PM
It's a factor of many things...

Distance away before I notice...
Amount of money...
Possible impact in the cashier...

The further away I am when I discover it, the larger the amount needs to be. If it's $10 I might not leave the house to return it, but I will make and effort to remember to stop by and drop it off when I do go out.

If I'm at home and it's $1.50, I'm not going back out to return it and I probably won't even try to remember to do it next time I'm in the area.

If it's $1.50 and I'm still in the store or I'll likely return it.

If it's $0.25 and I'm still at the counter, I'll return it.

100% spot on for my point of view.

Donger
09-30-2005, 01:43 PM
A few years back, I was next in line at the drive-up ATM. There was a guy in front of me that was taking forever, and I could tell that he wasn't familiar with the process. He finally threw up his hands in frustration, and drove away rather quickly. I pulled up to the vacant ATM only to discover that there was a large number of bills in the dispenser.

I pulled it out and counted it. Not bad; $180.

Rain Man
09-30-2005, 01:44 PM
No, I can't say I've ever been to that store.

So, how did you make that determination that his left eye is the one to look at?

Where do you buy your sporks, then?

And the left eye is the one that keeps darting over toward the Cinnabon.

Rain Man
09-30-2005, 01:45 PM
NOw you've ruined the whole wanting to return it for any reason what so ever. Does he have sticky Cinnabon goo all over his face??

Well, it's sticky and it's goo, but it doesn't look like Cinnabon.

siberian khatru
09-30-2005, 01:46 PM
I don't have a Sporks N Things at my mall. Besides, I'd probably be paying with my debit card. Now, if you can create a poll that involves him mis-swiping my card, I might be able to participate.

Goapics1
A few years back, I was next in line at the drive-up ATM. There was a guy in front of me that was taking forever, and I could tell that he wasn't familiar with the process. He finally threw up his hands in frustration, and drove away rather quickly. I pulled up to the vacant ATM only to discover that there was a large number of bills in the dispenser.

I pulled it out and counted it. Not bad; $180.
I'd keep that.

Donger
Where do you buy your sporks, then?

And the left eye is the one that keeps darting over toward the Cinnabon.

At the grocery store, like a normal person. My local grocery store has many items that one wouldn't imagine could be found at a grocery store.

Donger
09-30-2005, 01:48 PM
I'd keep that.

I must admit that I seriously considered it. But, I decided to chase him down and give it him. I finally caught up with him after a few blocks, and he wouldn't pull over until I waved the cash at him.

Rain Man
09-30-2005, 01:48 PM
I'll bet the grocery store doesn't sell the lime green, three-tine model. I could be wrong, though.

Donger
09-30-2005, 01:49 PM
I'll bet the grocery store doesn't sell the lime green, three-tine model. I could be wrong, though.

Don't doubt King Soopers.

Ever.

Nzoner
09-30-2005, 01:50 PM
I hate it when little ****s can not count back change and the stupid dickweeds that hire them. That is what the store gets for not training their employees correctly.

Reminds me of a story I posted here sometime ago when I was standing behind a woman at Arby's who ordered 1/2 dozen chicken strips and the counter girl replied they didn't have that.

The woman then asked for 6 and the girl said ok. :rolleyes:

kregger
09-30-2005, 01:50 PM
What about the Hottie that works at the Smoothie stand? Is this the dweeb's sister??

Simplex3
09-30-2005, 01:51 PM
Reminds me of a story I posted here sometime ago when I was standing behind a woman at Arby's who ordered 1/2 dozen chicken strips and the counter girl replied they didn't have that.

The woman then asked for 6 and the girl said ok. :rolleyes:
ROFL

Rain Man
09-30-2005, 01:52 PM
What about the Hottie that works at the Smoothie stand? Is this the dweeb's sister??

Yes, but she's embarrassed by him, and doesn't let him talk to her when they're on break together. She usually just heads over to the Cinnabon or The Body Shop.

Amnorix
09-30-2005, 01:53 PM
I must admit that I seriously considered it. But, I decided to chase him down and give it him. I finally caught up with him after a few blocks, and he wouldn't pull over until I waved the cash at him.

Kudos to you.

Delano
09-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Were any of The Body Shop girls at the great naked potato salad fight of 1998?

Goapics1
09-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Kudos to you.
Integrity is a bitch.

KCTitus
09-30-2005, 01:56 PM

I hope not, they would've been 10 years old at the time...

Rain Man
09-30-2005, 01:58 PM

Good god, they're only 17. What are you, some kind of pervert?

The assistant manager was there, though. You didn't really know her, but she came as a date of this guy that you knew in high school, and he's one of those friends that you don't have much in common with any more, but you have a lot of the same social circle and you know it'll hurt his feelings if you don't invite him.

Delano
09-30-2005, 01:59 PM
I hope not, they would've been 10 years old at the time...

I've never been to the body shop before but I just assumed that 25 year old women are the main consumers there.

Delano
09-30-2005, 02:00 PM
Good god, they're only 17. What are you, some kind of pervert?

The assistant manager was there, though. You didn't really know her, but she came as a date of this guy that you knew in high school, and he's one of those friends that you don't have much in common with any more, but you have a lot of the same social circle and you know it'll hurt his feelings if you don't invite him.

Alright. Well then, I'm not sure I would return the change after receiving this bit of information.

StcChief
09-30-2005, 02:06 PM
In the day of automated cash registers, something has to have been entered wrong for this.

Same with scanning items for the sale.

Braincase
09-30-2005, 02:09 PM
If it was more than a couple of bucks, I'd take it back. I usually don't notice it, because I never count the change I get back. I usually stuff it into my pocket, then forget I ever had the cash on me in the first place.

After a couple of weeks, I put on the pair of shorts or jeas again and BAM! Instant lottery.

Taco John
09-30-2005, 02:12 PM
I would never catch this error as I rarely pay in cash, and when I do, I don't really count it. I just trust I got the right amount back.