PDA

View Full Version : Weird Fraud happening in Las Vegas...

Vegas_Dave
10-01-2005, 09:34 AM
So my mother, my oldest brother, one of my wife's coworkers and myself have all become victim to a type of fraud that I have never even heard of before.

Somehow, people have managed to obtain all of our debit card numbers & PIN's. They then create physical cards that are then sold in mass to people all over the world WITH THE PIN #.

My mother had about $1100 worth of ATM Withdrawls in the Ukraine about 2 weeks ago. Last night, we found out that we have had the same thing happen with about $1600 in ATM withdrawls in Russia.

Now the card companies state that these thieves use a card insert reader inside of ATM machines, one that allows you to still use your card in the ATM but your card information is then copied by this device as well. Supposedly, they have a camera setup somewhere with a high enough resolution that they then are able to video you putting in your PIN. They then physically create these cards and sell them.

I was buying that story until it happened to me. Why? Well, simply because I do not use ATM's but maybe once every 5-6 months. So the likely hood of this method obtaining my card (which the bank stated all this was done using MY card, not my wifes) is too slim for it to be pheasible.

We use Wells Fargo. I have had zero problems with the bank in the past but I have a fear that this is actually an inside case at Wells Fargo since everyone that I know of that has been hit by this is a Wellsfargo customer.

Saulbadguy
10-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Damn.

Check it out.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/atmcamera.asp

Bwana
10-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Ouch!

Earthling
10-01-2005, 09:45 AM
I use Wells Fargo for my business and they were almost adamant that I obtain an ATM card from them...I don't need it nor want one. I had to tell the bank teller 3 times "No, I don't want one" ...She even had the gall to ask me 'why' twice...

Dartgod
10-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Wow, this type of scam was on an episode of CSI last season. Never guessed it was for real. :eek:

cdcox
10-01-2005, 10:23 AM
This scam is at least a couple years old. However the fake card scanner is much smaller than the one they showed on TV. Before they were big and bulky and didn't look anything like one it replaced.

cdcox
10-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Banks are going to have to start putting better technology into these cards. Fraud potential is way too high.

Rain Man
10-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Wow, that snopes stuff is pretty interesting. I hate thieves.

On another note, I hate it when my credit card companies send blank checks to me in the mail, with my account number on them. I want to force-feed those things to them.

Calcountry
10-01-2005, 10:31 AM
So my mother, my oldest brother, one of my wife's coworkers and myself have all become victim to a type of fraud that I have never even heard of before.

Somehow, people have managed to obtain all of our debit card numbers & PIN's. They then create physical cards that are then sold in mass to people all over the world WITH THE PIN #.

My mother had about $1100 worth of ATM Withdrawls in the Ukraine about 2 weeks ago. Last night, we found out that we have had the same thing happen with about $1600 in ATM withdrawls in Russia.

Now the card companies state that these thieves use a card insert reader inside of ATM machines, one that allows you to still use your card in the ATM but your card information is then copied by this device as well. Supposedly, they have a camera setup somewhere with a high enough resolution that they then are able to video you putting in your PIN. They then physically create these cards and sell them.

I was buying that story until it happened to me. Why? Well, simply because I do not use ATM's but maybe once every 5-6 months. So the likely hood of this method obtaining my card (which the bank stated all this was done using MY card, not my wifes) is too slim for it to be pheasible.

We use Wells Fargo. I have had zero problems with the bank in the past but I have a fear that this is actually an inside case at Wells Fargo since everyone that I know of that has been hit by this is a Wellsfargo customer.Spell checker, get it, use it, love it.

jAZ
10-01-2005, 10:48 AM
I use Wells Fargo for my business and they were almost adamant that I obtain an ATM card from them...I don't need it nor want one. I had to tell the bank teller 3 times "No, I don't want one" ...She even had the gall to ask me 'why' twice...
It's good for profit. They are far more convient and the more you use their banking services the more money they make.

onescrewleftuntwisted
10-01-2005, 10:50 AM
damn panasonic for letting this happen

jAZ
10-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Wow, that snopes stuff is pretty interesting. I hate thieves.

On another note, I hate it when my credit card companies send blank checks to me in the mail, with my account number on them. I want to force-feed those things to them.
I agree 100%.

Calcountry
10-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Banks are going to have to start putting better technology into these cards. Fraud potential is way too high.biometrics, 666, One thumb print, and the POS machine or ATM machine calls up all of your accounts onto a page, you then touch screen the account you wish to access. How about that?

ct
10-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Always use your debit card as a credit card, so you never have to enter a PIN.

cdcox
10-01-2005, 11:25 AM
biometrics, 666, One thumb print, and the POS machine or ATM machine calls up all of your accounts onto a page, you then touch screen the account you wish to access. How about that?

How many people are going to have to get thier thumbs cut off by thieves before someone realizes that isn' the best ideal? Maybe use the vein pattern on the forearm. It's much tougher to hack through an arm than to snip off a thumb with bolt cutters.

DenverChief
10-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Always use your debit card as a credit card, so you never have to enter a PIN.

I'd like to see you try that at an ATM :rolleyes:

Rain Man
10-01-2005, 11:40 AM
How many people are going to have to get thier thumbs cut off by thieves before someone realizes that isn' the best ideal? Maybe use the vein pattern on the forearm. It's much tougher to hack through an arm than to snip off a thumb with bolt cutters.

Brain scan. That's the way to go.

Vegas_Dave
10-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Spell checker, get it, use it, love it.

See I would have bought a spell checker but there is no money in my account now.

Luckily for me, my car payments, mortgage & everything I owed for the next 3 weeks has already cleared and been paid.

When I do purchases, the only time I do it debit is when it is forced. like Target, if you swipe in your debit card, it automatically forces you to use debit.

Actually, after talking with my mother & brother, the only place that we all have in common using our cards is one particular Target store in town.

hmmm....

DenverChief
10-01-2005, 01:05 PM
I have actually known about this scam for quite some time now...it was a huge story on the news out here about 6-8 months ago

DanT
10-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Wells Fargo has pioneered some incredible optical technology. They let me use some of it a few years ago when I opened an account with them. I asked them what the interest rate on the savings would be. So they gave me the number and brought out this super-high-powered microscope to help me read it. In all my years as a statistician, I don't think I've ever seen a number that tiny.

I'm just kidding. ;)

DenverChief
10-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Wells Fargo has pioneered some incredible optical technology. They let me use a few years ago when I opened an account with them. I asked them what the interest rate on the savings would be. So they gave me the number and brought out this super-high-powered microscope to help me read it. In all my years as a statistician, I don't think I've ever seen a number that tiny.

I'm just kidding. ;)ROFL

Credit Unions are the way to go

ct
10-01-2005, 03:07 PM
I'd like to see you try that at an ATM :rolleyes:

Easy, don't use an ATM.

DenverChief
10-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Easy, don't use an ATM.

which comes i handy when you need to do a cash transaction

BigMeatballDave
10-01-2005, 06:15 PM
Always use your debit card as a credit card, so you never have to enter a PIN.That's what I do...

Area 51
10-01-2005, 08:40 PM
I know this may not apply but:

Protect yourself from Credit Card Fraud (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2729096)

DenverChief
10-01-2005, 08:52 PM
No shit. Drug dealers don't take plastic and they don't keep the same hours as bankers.
ROFL

RJ
10-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Wells Fargo has pioneered some incredible optical technology. They let me use some of it a few years ago when I opened an account with them. I asked them what the interest rate on the savings would be. So they gave me the number and brought out this super-high-powered microscope to help me read it. In all my years as a statistician, I don't think I've ever seen a number that tiny.

I'm just kidding. ;)

DanT, still a funny guy. Statisticians crack me up.