PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Vermeil's staff gets picked apart

tk13
10-03-2005, 01:07 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12802698.htm

Vermeil’s staff gets picked apart
JASON WHITLOCK
Kansas City Star

You could waste the better part of the day sifting through the coaching errors that turned a predictable and understandable loss to the Philadelphia Eagles into a potentially lethal blow to the Chiefs’ 2005 season.

Dick Vermeil and his coaching staff blew an 18-point lead, handed the Eagles a 37-31 victory and totally demoralized 78,000 fans inside Arrowhead Stadium. We will have to wait to see what impact Sunday’s fiasco will have on Vermeil’s 53 players.

The Chiefs head into their bye week 2-2, a game behind Denver in the AFC West and well behind both the Broncos and the Patriots-blasting San Diego Chargers emotionally. The Kansas City team that started so promisingly at 2-0 has now melted down in consecutive weeks, and it’s fair to say the problems are bigger than the absence of Willie Roaf, Eric Warfield and John Welbourn.

After Sunday’s game, Vermeil did his best to turn the negative outcome into a positive, littering his postgame comments with praise for the Eagles and admiration for the Chiefs’ effort.

“For a long time I thought we played extremely well,” Vermeil said. “… You can see why they were in the Super Bowl last year…. They’re better than we are.”

The last comment might be true, but Philly’s talent advantage was rendered irrelevant once the Chiefs danced to a 17-0 advantage. At home, with a full house screaming, Priest Holmes ripping off 6- and 7-yard runs consistently and the Eagles throwing on every down, it’s inexcusable that Philly was comfortably ahead — 34-24 — with 9 minutes to play.

That shouldn’t happen to a good, competently coached football team. Dick Vermeil, despite the pervasive rumors, isn’t Gary Pinkel. On Sunday, Vermeil was actually something much worse.

There’s just no way to pretty up what we all witnessed:

1. Vermeil and his coaching staff botched two replay challenges. The second blown challenge cost the Chiefs what could have been a critical, second-half timeout.

2. Kansas City’s zone-heavy defensive scheme allowed Terrell Owens to frolic in the secondary as unencumbered and carefree as a third-grader on recess. T.O. had 11 receptions for 171 yards and a TD.

3. The Chiefs’ “running-back rotation” left their piping-hot running back, Priest Holmes, on the sideline when they had a chance to bury the Eagles in the second quarter. Holmes had 10 carries for 60 yards on KC’s first two possessions, which ended in a touchdown and a field goal. He ran the ball three times the rest of the half. Holmes, however, did have a beautiful sideline view of Larry Johnson’s crucial, end-of-first-half fumble that led directly to a Philly TD.

But all of those blunders pale in comparison to the coaching error that turned a would-be rout into a loss that could haunt the Chiefs for the rest of the year.

With the Chiefs up 17-0 thanks to an 8-yard pitch-and-catch between Trent Green and Eddie Kennison, offensive coordinator Al Saunders got a tad greedy and a bit lazy midway through the second quarter. On second and 14, Saunders remembered how easily Kennison scored when the Chiefs emptied their backfield and the Eagles went man-to-man deep in the red zone.

Perched on the KC 35 — 40 yards removed from the red zone — Saunders called for another empty-backfield set and another easy pitch to Kennison. This time Philly coach Andy Reid and his staff demonstrated why they’ve been to four straight NFC championships and the Chiefs haven’t won a playoff game since 1993. The Eagles adjusted to KC’s empty-back set and went zone. Sheldon Brown was waiting on Green’s toss to Kennison. Brown jumped the route and raced 40 yards into the end zone.

The pick-6 awakened the sleep-walking Eagles to the possibility of a rally. The interception infuriated Green. As he jogged to the sideline after the interception, Green flung his right arm in disgust.

After the game, Green tried his best not to talk about the interception.

“I don’t want to open a can of worms,” Green told me privately after a gaggle of reporters stepped away.

He said he wasn’t surprised at all that the Eagles adjusted their defensive look. You expected it?

“We all did,” Green said.

The problem is Saunders’ “system” doesn’t allow the quarterback to audible or for receivers to adjust their routes. Green and Kennison could see the zone defense and anticipate the danger, but they were powerless to do anything about it.

“He can’t do what Peyton Manning does at the line of scrimmage, even though (Green) could,” said tight end Tony Gonzalez.

I’m not making excuses for Green. But the reality is that Sheldon Brown didn’t get the best of Trent Green. Andy Reid’s coaching staff got the best of Dick Vermeil’s coaching staff on a play that turned the game.

Of course, there were other breakdowns and strategy errors. Fear of Philly’s pass rush eliminated Gonzalez from KC’s passing attack. He caught two meaningless passes and spent a great part of the afternoon pass blocking and running “hot” routes in the flat.

The Chiefs would have survived all of their gaffes — Johnson’s fumble, Dante Hall’s fumble, Vermeil’s misuse of replay challenges, the disappearance of Holmes and Gonzalez — had they not committed the original, pick-6 sin that allowed McNabb and Owens to contemplate a rally.

keg in kc
10-03-2005, 01:15 AM
Potentially lethal blow? Four weeks into the season?

Sheesh. Beat Washington and all will be forgotten.

royr17
10-03-2005, 01:17 AM
This loss is Al "Fuggin" Saunders fault, wont let Green audible, who the hell you think you are Saunders .......

kcxiv
10-03-2005, 01:59 AM
If the Chiefs bomb this year, There is no way DV or AS stays on this team. It just wont happen.

Rausch
10-03-2005, 02:38 AM
I like Saunders offense but I hate his play calling.

FlightPhan
10-03-2005, 04:00 AM
Green isn't allowed to audible?! yeah, they should be getting ripped for that. Friggen Eli Manning can probably audible out of an obvious defensive adjustment. For a 12 year vet QB, that's insane.

We all wondered why he was so pissed after the INT. Even more pissed than a QB usually is after an INT.

Wow. What does that say about their confidence in their QB??? That's terrible.

Boyceofsummer
10-03-2005, 05:07 AM
“I don’t want to open a can of worms,” Green told me privately after a gaggle of reporters stepped away.

He said he wasn’t surprised at all that the Eagles adjusted their defensive look. You expected it?

For a so-called veteran QB unwilling to expose this insane coaching strategy is itself, insane. TELL THE PRICKS I'M THE QB AND YOUR PLAN IS RETARDED! DV-AS, you don't like it, BENCH MY ASS! Explain that to the media.

Some Chief player or players MUST take control of this team now. The coaches are out of control. Quit bitchin and use the media to take control if necessary. This coaching staff, GM and owner have completely lost their minds. It's been obvious for several years.

Red Dawg
10-03-2005, 06:36 AM

No it won't be forgotten. You have to adjust to win games and we can't do it. We can get to the QB, stop the pass nor protect Green. This keeps us at mediocre even if we sneak into the playoffs.

Earthling
10-03-2005, 06:43 AM
We have found the enemy and it is us.

MichaelH
10-03-2005, 06:52 AM

That won't be as easy as it sounds. Washington has no offense but their defense is very good. Hopefully after this weeks vacation, the team will realize the season has begun and it's time to get to work.

Brock
10-03-2005, 06:55 AM

Seems unlikely.

dirk digler
10-03-2005, 07:50 AM
I am surprised that Green can call his own plays but can't audible. DV and AS are fuggin stupid if that is the case.

cookster50
10-03-2005, 07:51 AM
Ummm, what does that say about Green's intelligience if he knew that making that throw would end up in an interception????

Hammock Parties
10-03-2005, 07:53 AM
**** AL SAUNDERS!

ChiTown
10-03-2005, 07:55 AM
Coaching.

Say what you want about the players, but when you can't find a way to keep a 24-6 lead at home, this is about coaching.

I'm done with Vermeil and staff - including & especially CP. I'm not bitter, I'm just ready to move on.

BigChiefFan
10-03-2005, 07:58 AM
Al Saunders has lost his mind. He gets way too cute with his play calling and it usually costs us. From the 102 yard INT return for a TD last year (against the Texans at home) to yesterday's, let's go away from what is working with Priest Holmes. I hope Saunders leaves with the rest of them.

Extra Point
10-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Hire Fred Biletnikoff as a consultant, find out what stickem he used, and fix up Larry Johnson. That, or save the money, and get Johnson to hold on to the ball with two hands in a crowd.

Winning ball games comes from having the sense of urgency. There is none with the Chiefs. Denver proved it, Philadelphia sealed it.

The run (T Rich lead blocking for Holmes AND Johnson!) and the slant (To Tony G out of the slot) are the best friends a coach has to run the clock out. How many times has Tony Richardson been called on to lead block for Larry Johnson? I haven't seen it, and I wonder why........

wolfpack0735
10-03-2005, 08:21 AM
is green just a true chicken $hit? if he sees something change the play. what is dv and as going to do to him? green must not have any guts to stand up to them.

Brock
10-03-2005, 08:27 AM
is green just a true chicken $hit? if he sees something change the play. what is dv and as going to do to him? green must not have any guts to stand up to them.

The Chiefs had no timeouts left at that point. If the Chiefs don't have a system for audibles, I don't know what else Green could have done, except maybe throw the ball away.

cookster50
10-03-2005, 08:38 AM
I don't know what else Green could have done, except maybe throw the ball away.

Brilliant!

RedThat
10-03-2005, 08:39 AM
I think Vermeil should stop making challenges. Seriously.

The guy sucks at challenges. He loses 90% of the time. Not only that, he attempts to make bone-headed challenges trying to give his defense a break. Costing us timeouts. Vermeil really pisses me off when he does this. Instead of making boneheaded challenges, save your timeouts for crucial times at the end of the game Vermeil! :cuss:

Radar Chief
10-03-2005, 08:40 AM
The Chiefs had no timeouts left at that point. If the Chiefs don't have a system for audibles, I don't know what else Green could have done, except maybe throw the ball away.

While I’m as annoyed by Saunders scheme as anyone else, he didn’t throw the ball low and behind Kennison on that pick while the slot receiver on the same side was streak’n down field uncovered.

chagrin
10-03-2005, 08:47 AM
This loss is Al "Fuggin" Saunders fault, wont let Green audible, who the hell you think you are Saunders .......

First, PLEASE get rid of that vomitous sig!
:p

Secondly, he thinks he's Mike Martz, that's who he thinks he is

HemiEd
10-03-2005, 09:24 AM
First, PLEASE get rid of that vomitous sig!
:p

Secondly, he thinks he's Mike Martz, that's who he thinks he is

You are bashing someone else's sig? :rolleyes:

donkhater
10-03-2005, 09:31 AM
The next time green throws the ball away will be his first. I can honestly say the only thing I can't stand about him is that he holds on to the ball to damn much and takes really bad sacks.

A speed rush comes or the team doesn't pick up a blitz, that's one thing.

But if you are holding the ball 3-4 seconds and can't find anyone open, the first sign of a sack the ball should be out of your hand. He NEVER does this.

I agree with the other comments on this topic. He can be upset over the call, but he didn't have to throw it. In his defense, though, it was a timing pass so he couldn't hesitate even for a little bit to see if the CB was going to sit on the route before he passed it. It comes down to either you decide to throw it before the snap or you don't and possibly take a sack or throw the ball away.

digi2fish
10-03-2005, 09:33 AM
it's gonna be an explosive bye week.

BigMeatballDave
10-03-2005, 10:21 AM
I really hate this coaching staff...

Frankie
10-03-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm a staunch Saunders supporter and also Whitlock has a history of writing about the Chiefs organization and the coaches with a chip on his shoulder. That said, if this no audible policy is true, this would be my first negative against AS. For the sake of my continued approval of Saunders, I hope he is wrong. But, more importantly, to be able to believe my Chiefs are better than the last two showings, I hope he is right. If he is, we are looking at something correctable.

Frankie
10-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Ummm, what does that say about Green's intelligience if he knew that making that throw would end up in an interception????
Green's intelligence has never been in question. There has never been any reason for it. You are barking up the wrong tree.

Frankie
10-03-2005, 11:07 AM
I really hate this coaching staff...
You must be a NEW fan. Post Marty and the 3 stooges.
:hmmm:

Mr. Krab
10-03-2005, 11:09 AM
So Green is mad because that philly had adjusted and he knew the play was bad AND HE STILL THREW THE BALL? Well Mr. Green if everyone knew how bad the play was then why didn't you just throw the ball away instead of throwing the interception? In fact, why don't you ever throw the ball away instead of taking sacks for 15 yard loses?

No audibles isn't an excuse for throwing an interception.

htismaqe
10-03-2005, 11:10 AM
For the sake of my continued approval of Saunders, I hope he is wrong.

For all of us who want to see them win each week, I would hope he is wrong too.

Alas, I think this is just further proof of what you and I argued about previously -- Saunders should not be the next HC of the Chiefs. This type of thing just screams "Mike Martz" to me...

Mr. Kotter
10-03-2005, 11:14 AM
The problem is Saunders’ “system” doesn’t allow the quarterback to audible or for receivers to adjust their routes. Green and Kennison could see the zone defense and anticipate the danger, but they were powerless to do anything about it.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Calcountry
10-03-2005, 11:15 AM
I like Saunders offense but I hate his play calling.How many of you are sick of that play where they fake the hand off, then fake the end arround, then passeeeerrr crash, there is a DE harrassing me because this fuggin play took way too long to develop and it didnt' fool anyone.

Iowanian
10-03-2005, 11:16 AM
somehow...an article like this edition, seems more appropriate than Bitching at the fans...who show up for the Chiefs every sunday.......and those loyal enough to be online talking about the Chiefs regularly also.

dirk digler
10-03-2005, 11:16 AM
For all of us who want to see them win each week, I would hope he is wrong too.

Alas, I think this is just further proof of what you and I argued about previously -- Saunders should not be the next HC of the Chiefs. This type of thing just screams "Mike Martz" to me...

Yep.

Calcountry
10-03-2005, 11:19 AM
The next time green throws the ball away will be his first. I can honestly say the only thing I can't stand about him is that he holds on to the ball to damn much and takes really bad sacks.

A speed rush comes or the team doesn't pick up a blitz, that's one thing.

But if you are holding the ball 3-4 seconds and can't find anyone open, the first sign of a sack the ball should be out of your hand. He NEVER does this.

I agree with the other comments on this topic. He can be upset over the call, but he didn't have to throw it. In his defense, though, it was a timing pass so he couldn't hesitate even for a little bit to see if the CB was going to sit on the route before he passed it. It comes down to either you decide to throw it before the snap or you don't and possibly take a sack or throw the ball away.He should be mad at himself then, because the read is everything.

Iowanian
10-03-2005, 11:22 AM
I've often cursed Green for not throwing the ball away when nothing is there.......He DOES take too many sacks and makes bad throws trying to force the ball into double-triple coverage too often.

jwhit
10-03-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm a staunch Saunders supporter and also Whitlock has a history of writing about the Chiefs organization and the coaches with a chip on his shoulder. That said, if this no audible policy is true, this would be my first negative against AS. For the sake of my continued approval of Saunders, I hope he is wrong. But, more importantly, to be able to believe my Chiefs are better than the last two showings, I hope he is right. If he is, we are looking at something correctable.

What is there to hope about? The players told me the "system" doesn't allow for audibles. This isn't up for debate.

Iowanian
10-03-2005, 12:54 PM
That part of "the system" sucks more than a raiderfan's dadddy in the big house.

Johnson&Johnson
10-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Disgust!

Whitlock absolutely right!

DV & Co. has lost their grip on coaching in the NFL. It was evident in the OAK game when Vermeil actually came out and said their game plan for OAK had to be thrown out the window because how OAK D came out is completely different to what they expect. SHIT! If you always get what you want of the opponent, then everyone should go 16-0 Mr Head Coach. There's something called adjustment, usually made during the game. But I guess it's not something DV & Co can comprehend because OAK game was 2 games ago and still they had not figure it requires adjustments when you return from halftime

htismaqe
10-03-2005, 01:30 PM
What is there to hope about? The players told me the "system" doesn't allow for audibles. This isn't up for debate.

Exactly why I compared Saunders to Martz...

The word arrogance comes to mind.

Simplex3
10-03-2005, 01:52 PM
It was evident in the OAK game when Vermeil actually came out and said their game plan for OAK had to be thrown out the window because how OAK D came out is completely different to what they expect.
This doesn't even begin to cover it. They were fooled and out-gameplanned by NORV TURNER AND JIMMY RAYE.

Let that soak in for a minute.

PastorMikH
10-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Hmmm, Green's comments (or lack there of) to Whitlock shed a lot of light on why Green as some said last night, seemed to have lost it in the second half.

Whay kind of offensive scheme doesn't allow for adjustments on the field?

"Eh, sorry coach, we botched the play and I decided the only way to fix the screwup was to give Priest the ball. Sorry about the mistake and the TD."

htismaqe
10-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Green was literally yelling at Vermeil on the sideline after the INT.

Whitlock's assertation sure looks not only credible, but probable. What reason does Trent have to yell at Vermeil unless the coaching was to blame?

Iowanian
10-03-2005, 03:05 PM
I don't disagree that he was mad. He should be, and should have thrown that ball away if he knew it was fooked, unless he was proving a point.

I haven't thought that Green looked sharp on a single drive this season..or preseason.

Rausch
10-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Green was literally yelling at Vermeil on the sideline after the INT.

Whitlock's assertation sure looks not only credible, but probable. What reason does Trent have to yell at Vermeil unless the coaching was to blame?

Towards the end of the game after the Eagles got the kick and started kneeling it they showed Gonzo on the sidelines.

It was not hard to read his lips.

"This is bull$#it. We should be in first..."

KC Jones
10-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Coaching.

Say what you want about the players, but when you can't find a way to keep a 24-6 lead at home, this is about coaching.

I'm done with Vermeil and staff - including & especially CP. I'm not bitter, I'm just ready to move on.

I am too, but then I think about what moving on will be. Moving on will be DV retiring, Carl Peterson retiring to become Chairman, and our new chairman (CP) picking his loyal right hand man Denny Thum to run the show. Carl will be heavily involved and want Thum to keep as much of the same staff and coaches as possible. After all this is the awesome Chiefs organization that CP built and he wouldn't want anyone rebuilding it.

:banghead:

Johnson&Johnson
10-03-2005, 05:27 PM
All of this looks too familiar. I am not afraid of DV retiring. I am more afraid of CP taking on the reigns and control this football team start hiring his buddies.

A lot of us have clearly forgotten about Gannon vs. Grbac, something we were all pissed-off about that Gannon should have stayed Chief and started that oh-so-painful memory of Grbac losing that playoff game. Now that I look back, was it all Marty's decision to play Grbac? or was it CP pushing the I'm the GM button, I signed Elvis to a huge contract, do the right thing Marty!!!

Raiderhater
10-03-2005, 05:54 PM

For a so-called veteran QB unwilling to expose this insane coaching strategy is itself, insane. TELL THE PRICKS I'M THE QB AND YOUR PLAN IS RETARDED! DV-AS, you don't like it, BENCH MY ASS! Explain that to the media.

Some Chief player or players MUST take control of this team now. The coaches are out of control. Quit bitchin and use the media to take control if necessary. This coaching staff, GM and owner have completely lost their minds. It's been obvious for several years.

Oh yeah, a mutiny is just what we need. Note to the emotionally charged, a power struggle between coaches and players will not bring about victories. And besides, it is a fight the players cannot win, they'll end up being benched, or worse.

Green is right, this needs to be handled in house, and in a proper fashion. We can only hope cooler heads and common sense prevail. Because as it stands now, we know Gonzo is unhappy, and Green sure as hell has to be if he is yelling at the coaches (so very unlike Green), then we are fast approaching a scenario that will resemble Marty's last year, and Gun's last year, when their respective teams quit on them.
I wish I could say this is just the media blowing things out of proportion and/or going on shaky stories from disgruntled players, but given Green and Gonzo's actions after only two losses in an early season..... I'm starting to get an uneasy feeling about all of this, and I typically dismiss this kind of stuff.

keg in kc
10-03-2005, 06:07 PM
I can't believe it took me 50 posts to notice the words "Vermeil's staff" in the header.

Skip Towne
10-03-2005, 06:16 PM
Al Saunders is the reason I don't want him for a head coach. This is not really my idea. I stole it fom Royr17.

NewChief
10-03-2005, 06:41 PM
5{ian]I don't disagree that he was mad. He should be, and should have thrown that ball away if he knew it was fooked, unless he was proving a point.

I haven't thought that Green looked sharp on a single drive this season..or preseason.[/QUOTE]

Although he only made two passes in the drive, the opening drive of the season against the Jets had my hopes up. It was, pretty much, the perfect drive, including his two passes. Of course, it's not hard to have a perfect drive when you have two runs for 30+ yards.

Johnson&Johnson
10-03-2005, 08:00 PM
I haven't thought that Green looked sharp on a single drive this season..or preseason.[/QUOTE]

Although he only made two passes in the drive, the opening drive of the season against the Jets had my hopes up. It was, pretty much, the perfect drive, including his two passes. Of course, it's not hard to have a perfect drive when you have two runs for 30+ yards.[/QUOTE]

AMEN!

KcMizzou
10-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Although he only made two passes in the drive, the opening drive of the season against the Jets had my hopes up. It was, pretty much, the perfect drive, including his two passes. Of course, it's not hard to have a perfect drive when you have two runs for 30+ yards. Green didn't throw a pass at all in that drive.

Priest for 5... Priest for 35... LJ for 35 and a TD.

NewChief
10-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Green didn't throw a pass at all in that drive.

Priest for 5... Priest for 35... LJ for 35 and a TD.

Hrrrm. Second drive then? Damnit, now I have to go look at game stats.

I know there was one drive in that game where Trent had two great passes to Eddie K (I think) before we scored.

NewChief
10-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Here we go:
1-10-KC5 (10:01) P.Holmes right end to KC 3 for -2 yards (J.Vilma, T.Law).
2-12-KC3 (9:24) T.Green pass to C.Horn to KC 14 for 11 yards (K.Rhodes).
3-1-KC14 (8:50) P.Holmes up the middle to KC 16 for 2 yards (J.Reed).
1-10-KC16 (8:11) T.Richardson up the middle to KC 20 for 4 yards (D.Robertson).
2-6-KC20 (7:35) T.Green pass to E.Kennison pushed ob at NYJ 43 for 37 yards (K.Rhodes).
1-10-NYJ43 (7:03) T.Green pass to T.Gonzalez pushed ob at NYJ 37 for 6 yards (T.Law).
2-4-NYJ37 (6:41) D.Hall right end to NYJ 37 for no gain (B.Thomas).
3-4-NYJ37 (6:02) T.Green pass to S.Parker to NYJ 28 for 9 yards (D.Barrett).
1-10-NYJ28 (5:22) P.Holmes right end to NYJ 27 for 1 yard (E.Barton).
2-9-NYJ27 (4:38) T.Green pass to E.Kennison to NYJ 8 for 19 yards (D.Barrett).
1-8-NYJ8 (3:51) T.Green pass to P.Holmes to NYJ 3 for 5 yards (J.Vilma).
2-3-NYJ3 (3:12) P.Holmes left end for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

KcMizzou
10-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Hrrrm. Second drive then? Damnit, now I have to go look at game stats.

I know there was one drive in that game where Trent had two great passes to Eddie K (I think) before we scored.Eh... doesn't really matter.

I think he's looked super sharp in a few drives this season, and terrible in others. What's alarming to me, is how fast he can switch from one to the other. And so far it's seemed to only be from great to shitty. A little "back again" would sure be nice.

NewChief
10-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Eh... doesn't really matter.

I think he's looked super sharp in a few drives this season, and terrible in others. What's alarming to me, is how fast he can switch from one to the other. And so far it's seemed to only be from great to shitty. A little "back again" would sure be nice.

I agree, and I'm (as most know) one of the biggest Greenbackers on the board. I keep waiting for the early season slump to end, but it hasn't yet. I know he's extremely beat up after the Denver game, but he's usually a warrior and doesn't let being beat up bother him. Hopefully things will click after Bye week, but right now I'm just feeling like our offense is old and our scheme played out. No one bites on all the motion anymore, and Saunders doesn't seem to be able to consistently capitalize on our strengths. Our line can't buy us time, which I guess shouldn't be too surprising considering all the sacks Trent took in trash time last year to a 3 man rush. Regardless of the amount of pressure he's getting, Trent's got to step it up, along with just about everyone else on the team. Just hope it happens against the Redskins.

Johnson&Johnson
10-03-2005, 08:28 PM
I agree, and I'm (as most know) one of the biggest Greenbackers on the board. I keep waiting for the early season slump to end, but it hasn't yet. I know he's extremely beat up after the Denver game, but he's usually a warrior and doesn't let being beat up bother him. Hopefully things will click after Bye week, but right now I'm just feeling like our offense is old and our scheme played out. No one bites on all the motion anymore, and Saunders doesn't seem to be able to consistently capitalize on our strengths. Our line can't buy us time, which I guess shouldn't be too surprising considering all the sacks Trent took in trash time last year to a 3 man rush. Regardless of the amount of pressure he's getting, Trent's got to step it up, along with just about everyone else on the team. Just hope it happens against the Redskins.

Yes. Hope is all we can gather now.

Ummm.. anyone know when Lavar Arrington is returning? ie. Trent Green ... please meet Lavar if he returns on week 6.

Deberg_1990
10-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Green has always been a streaky passer. Look at his track record since hes been here. Hes either Hot, or cold.

HC_Chief
10-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Fatlock hit the bullseye w/ this one.