PDA

View Full Version : The rise and fall of football fandom...

htismaqe
10-03-2005, 07:28 AM
I started as a Chiefs fan in the early 80's. Of course, I was also a Steelers' fan at the time because they were on TV so much, and I was only about 11 or 12 at the time.

Over the years, as my involvement with extracurricular activities as waned and I've gotten married, had kids, etc. I've invested more and more time, as well as emotion, into the Chiefs. I've gotten deep into the draft, into evaluating players. My knowledge of football over the last 5 years, largely due to the Planet, has grown by leaps and bounds. So too has the connection that I feel for this team, win or lose.

Yesterday's loss was one of the worst that I can remember for many reasons, including giving up an 18 point lead.

But it also marks something unique in my fandom:

I've come to realize that I care about this team TOO much.

I woke up this morning and didn't want to get out of bed. I didn't want to go to work. I'm genuinely DEPRESSED.

I'm not even really sure what to do at this point. I'm not sure if I can watch another game. It's become completely disruptive to my normal life.

Brock
10-03-2005, 07:29 AM
Too bad you're not the GM.

Bob Dole
10-03-2005, 07:33 AM
Bob Dole reached that point last season.

Watching crap like yesterday happen, still evokes a full-blown rage but it quickly subsides and life goes on as usual.

htismaqe
10-03-2005, 07:39 AM
Too bad you're not the GM.

If I had the money, I'd buy a team.

And then people would talk about me the way they talk about Dan Snyder. :D

ChiTown
10-03-2005, 07:41 AM

Watching crap like yesterday happen, still evokes a full-blown rage but it quickly subsides and life goes on as usual.

That's exactly where I'm at. I really kept it in check yesterday. I started to absolutely lose it and noticed my kids just staring at me. At 7 and 4, they watch every move I make. It's not worth it. I don't want my kids to become the emotional train wreck I have been with this franchise over the last 30+ years.

I certainly don't want them to become a whiny little baby like I've become while watching the Chiefs. Relative to that, I'm actually pretty disappointed in myself. There was a time that this (just being a fan) used to be fun - I just can't remember when that was.......... :shake:

Hoover
10-03-2005, 07:43 AM
I feel the same way. When the Chiefs lose, especially how they did yesterday, it really takes a toll on me. My wife is asking if I'm made at her, I just want to be left alone. So looking ahead, the follow is what I would like to see from the Chiefs.

1. Ride Priest Holmes. Its his team. Give him the load, if we are up and its junk time, or if we are down and its junk time bring in LJ. This 2/3rds thing just sucks, I have yet to see a Chiefs running back get in the grove.

2. Give Boerichter a shot. I'm not saying this because he caught one ball in garbage time for 38 yards. I'm saying it because Parker isn't ready. Boe can play oppisite Kennison and be a large possesion reciever, something we lack, especially when TG isn't gtting the ball.

3. Enough with the fake draw, fake reverse, throw it deep crap. Some of these plays take way too long to develop, especially when we are missing Roaf.

4. Blitz an extra player, not the farm.

I still have playoff hopes for this team. But its going to be difficult. We deed 9 more wins IMO. I think we have to look at our next 5 games as must wins. Thats why we must look to Priest Holmes to carry the load.

htismaqe
10-03-2005, 07:44 AM
That's exactly where I'm at. I really kept it in check yesterday. I started to absolutely lose it and noticed my kids just staring at me. At 7 and 4, they watch every move I make. It's not worth it. I don't want my kids to become the emotional train wreck I have been with this franchise over the last 30+ years.

I certainly don't want them to become a whiny little baby like I've become while watching the Chiefs. Relative to that, I'm actually pretty disappointed in myself. There was a time that this (just being a fan) used to be fun - I just can't remember when that was.......... :shake:

Yeah, it all started yesterday when FOX kept on the Giants/Rams game, even though everyone knew it was in the bag, and I missed the first few minutes of the game.

I was beside myself, I missed the first 10 points of the game. My kids thought I was insane, and since we were at the in-laws it looked doubly bad.

Otter
10-03-2005, 07:44 AM
I don't expect enough from them to become depressed anymore. There was a time when I did but I think it was somewhere between the end of Marty and the Gun years where I became somewhat indifferent.

The Chiefs are like my "slow" little nephew at this point. I don't expect a whole lot from him but when he exels I'm excited for him and love him either way.

I blame the parents.

dirk digler
10-03-2005, 07:47 AM
I still get very pissed during the games but win or lose I try to not to let it effect me too much anymore. After the 97 season I decided that no matter what happens with the Chiefs the sun still comes up in the morning.

Scorp
10-03-2005, 07:49 AM
I woke up this morning and didn't want to get out of bed. I didn't want to go to work. I'm genuinely DEPRESSED.

I'm not even really sure what to do at this point. I'm not sure if I can watch another game. It's become completely disruptive to my normal life.

I feel exactly the same way. Before yesterdays game I had already accepted we would lose this game. I figured hey 2-2 isn't bad before the bye. Then we jumped out in front with the big lead, and I thought there is NO way we can lose this one. I just can't fathom how our coaching staff can just shut it down at half time and blow a lead like that. :banghead:

Dr. Johnny Fever

I completely understand. I was in the same place no more than two years ago. I took it all to heart way too much. I even acted like a child when we would lose and a couple of times even broke a thing or two...(nothing important). Then I took a hard look at myself and decided it was stupid to let a football team that I have no stake in other than my being a fan, disrupt my life. It was a hard adjustment. The losses still hurt. But I'm glad to say that now I can let it go pretty fast. Even joke and smile about it.

I didn't watch the MNF game at Denver because I had a bad feeling...and some other things to do. I only watched a little bit yesterday. Turning it off sometimes has been the best thing I could do. I'm still a Chiefs fan and should they ever win it all I'll be as happy as anyone. But I vow to never let them have any control over my attitude, my happiness and my life again... and I feel better for it.

From the looks of the last two games it's a good thing.

I wish you luck.

shaneo69
After cussing up a storm Monday night in front of my 6 year old son, and then having the day that we had yesterday, I think I need to get the f*ck out as well. NFL football is not fun for me anymore.

I'm sick of national TV stations like ESPN and Fox do nothing but fawn all over the jack@ss players.

I'm sick of Carl Peterson and his 17 years here.

I'm sick of Dick Vermiel's excuses.

I'm sick of Jason Whitlock's articles.

I'm sick of having no defense whatsoever.

I'm sick of driving 4 hours each Sunday and seeing performances like that.

I'm sick of cussing like an idiot because the team pisses me off so much.

I'm sick of seeing opposing fans whoop it up at Arrowhead.

I'm sick of two series for Priest, one for LJ.

I'm sick of Trent Green's inability to win big games.

I'm sick of Gunther apparently not even watching film of other teams' offenses before we play them.

I'm sick of leaving my son at home while I go waste an entire day watching this putrid team play.

I'm sick of seeing Jack Steadman get honored for his incompetence by this team.

I'm sick of Bob Gretz, Mitch Holthus, Rufus Dawes, Jonathan Rand, Jim Barnes, and Eileen Weir.

I'm sick of seeing Bronco fans gloating on this board.

I'm sick of all the whining about the need to get Arrowhead upgraded or replaced.

Other than that, I'm in a pretty good state of mind.

mlyonsd
10-03-2005, 07:51 AM
I stated before the season I'd be happy with a 2-2 start. But I'm not going to lie and say yesterdays loss didn't bother me.

31 unanswered points at home? Ridiculous.

teedubya
10-03-2005, 07:53 AM
yeah i had an epiphany on Monday nite... these games arent gonna affect me as negatively anymore. Although I still get mildly pissed... it subsided quicker yesterday.

It sure sucks though.

htismaqe
10-03-2005, 07:54 AM
Sounds like a lot of you have beat this. I just don't know how I can.

I have OCD. All my life, I've been addicted to something. Slowly but surely, I thought I had eliminated the things that got me into trouble - stupid relationships, drugs, etc. I had been doing so good that a year ago or so, I gave up meds. I felt like I was "cured".

Now I'm discovering that football is now filling that void. I honestly don't know what to do.

wolfpack0735
10-03-2005, 07:54 AM
i remember arrowhead as a farm,i remember bad chief team where you could buy tickets way up top and be moved to the 50 yard line in the lower seats in the first quarter. the 90`s brought a powerful defense wasted on a low level offense. the oppsite has happened now. when my grown up sons come over to bbq and drink beer and yell at the chiefs,or praise them, i can always tell them one thing........i have seen the chiefs win a super bowl! they may never see this but i have. what a pure waste when they lose like the last couple of weeks. thank god for beer and the next day.

Hammock Parties
10-03-2005, 07:56 AM
I was really down last night. Now I'm just pissed.

This bye week is going to suck.

cdcox
I had similar thoughts yesterday. Why do I care so much about something I have zero control over. I have plenty of other things I could do with my time and emotional energy. I enjoy watching football even when the Chiefs aren't playing. Maybe I should become a generic fan.

But I'm in too deep. I've followed this team 36 of my 44 years. The Chiefs Arrowhead logo is like a family coat of arms to me. Maybe if the Chiefs left KC I could sever the connection. Till then, I just have to expect less and care less.

dirk digler

I have OCD. All my life, I've been addicted to something. Slowly but surely, I thought I had eliminated the things that got me into trouble - stupid relationships, drugs, etc. I had been doing so good that a year ago or so, I gave up meds. I felt like I was "cured".

Now I'm discovering that football is now filling that void. I honestly don't know what to do.

Become a band wagon fan that way you are never disappointed.

ROYC75
I started as a Chiefs fan in the early 80's. Of course, I was also a Steelers' fan at the time because they were on TV so much, and I was only about 11 or 12 at the time.

Over the years, as my involvement with extracurricular activities as waned and I've gotten married, had kids, etc. I've invested more and more time, as well as emotion, into the Chiefs. I've gotten deep into the draft, into evaluating players. My knowledge of football over the last 5 years, largely due to the Planet, has grown by leaps and bounds. So too has the connection that I feel for this team, win or lose.

Yesterday's loss was one of the worst that I can remember for many reasons, including giving up an 18 point lead.

Think about this, some of us here have been thru this since the 60's ..... :banghead:

KCTitus
10-03-2005, 07:57 AM
I took this loss a little harder than some in the past. This had all the makings of another blowout like the Atlanta game last year...then it happened--The INT returned for a TD and the LJ fumble. From there on out it was down hill.

There have been worse losses and even worse performances, but to have that kind of a lead and piss it away is frustrating.

teedubya
10-03-2005, 07:57 AM
Become a Bengals fan this year! heh. uh...

Phobia
10-03-2005, 07:58 AM
For one of the first times ever, I braced myself for this loss. I didn't exactly expect to lost like THAT, but I didn't go ballistic over this one.

It actually felt pretty nice to keep all that rage in check.

stevieray
10-03-2005, 08:00 AM

major kudos for your honesty.

my wife was pissed about the game when I got home.

I immediately apologized for dragging her into this.

dirk digler
10-03-2005, 08:01 AM
Parker you could do what I do as well and expect the worst and if they win its a bonus.

Chief Henry
10-03-2005, 08:01 AM

Chief Henry hit the wall last season after the New Orleans game.

htsmq,
I've invested way too much emotion into the Chiefs for the last
20 years. I even consider'd not getting the Direct TV NFL ticket.
BUT, the off season addition of upgraded defensive players kept me
on NFL ticket.

I've woke up what seems like Hundreds of Monday mornings after a chiefs disaster feeling the way you do. But for some reason today
and last Monday I don't have the feeling. Maybe I've been beaten down
so much that I've now started accepting what the Chiefs are.

JW calls them frauds. That sure looks dam accurate to me.
I just call the KC Chiefs LOST.

Right now my emotional fan bank is going to lean towards the STL. Cardinals untill they get poked in the eye in the play offs.

tomahawk kid
10-03-2005, 08:03 AM
It's like you guys are reading my mind this morning.

Last season was somewhat of a "wake up call " for me in relation to the Chiefs. The 0-4 start weighed much too heavily on my daily life. At some point, my devotion to the Chiefs went from recreation to obsession. I'm not sure where I crossed that line, but it happened. I promised myself that I would never let the Chiefs affect my daily life in that manner.

I kept this in mind yesterday while I was at the game. My heart sank as I felt the momentum shift in Philly's favor, our defense continued to look like the Keystone Cops and Jordan Black was worked over and over and over again. I continued to see the SAME mistakes Vermiel's teams had made over the last 4+ seasons and I saw the same lack of ability to adjust etc. I began to wrestle with the notion that this year might not be "the year" again.

While I was internalizing all of this, I saw 2 people get arrested for fighting in the stands. I had to keep my brother in law from going to blows with the Eagles fan in front of us. While we were leaving the stadium, I witnessed a "Chiefs fan" threaten his wife / girlfriend with domestic violence for "smacking him". It was crazy.

Having said all that, here I am, with the same sick feeling in my chest that I always have after losses. I don't know if I'm mpre depressed about the team or the surrounding events I witnessed yesterday. I guess just hope that we get something SIGNIFICANT to cheer about sometime in the near future. It sounds like alot of us (including myself) really need it.

ROYC75
10-03-2005, 08:04 AM
Like I said yesterday, if it wasn't meeting friends and family, my 500 mile trip in 2 weeks would be void.

BigChiefFan
10-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Aren't you the one that told everybody else that's it's just a game and that we shouldn't take it so seriously?

ROYC75
10-03-2005, 08:06 AM
I had a harder time last year than this year. Even thou we made the offseason FA's and draft.

BTA, I have seen alot in 40 + years of football.

HemiEd
10-03-2005, 08:07 AM
I decided a long time ago that this team is a tease. It will flirt with you and show a little skin but that is about it. After 35 years of watching them and being dissapointed, I am no better at dealing with it than the first year of watching this team.
My shipping manager just came up to me and asked me what was wrong with the Chiefs D and I said STFU and I do not want to talk about it. I am pathetic, we should start a Chiefs Anonymous.

Hammock Parties
10-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Someone needs to start firecarlpeterson.com

ROYC75
10-03-2005, 08:09 AM
I decided a long time ago that this team is a tease. It will flirt with you and show a little skin but that is about it. After 35 years of watching them and being dissapointed, I am no better at dealing with it than the first year of watching this team.
My shipping manager just came up to me and asked me what was wrong with the Chiefs D and I said STFU and I do not want to talk about it. I am pathetic, we should start a Chiefs Anonymous.

Welcome to ChiefsPlanet......... :)

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-03-2005, 08:10 AM
I immediately apologized for dragging her into this.
Heh... been there. My x-wife is now more into it than I am I think. She goes out and watches the games with friends. I may or may not even watch. After the MNF game she asked me wtf happened to the defense when I picked my daughter up the next day. I said, couldn't tell ya... I didn't watch... but it sounded like the same old shit from what I had heard and read on here. My daughter looked at me like she didn't know me when I told her I hadn't watched the game.

Part of me feels like I infected the house with a terrible disease and now that I'm not there anymore the disease still is. I almost feel guilty about it.

siberian khatru
10-03-2005, 08:11 AM
I was insane in the 90s, took every game like it was life or death. The 95 playoff loss to the Colts just devastated me. It's still a black hole in my life, like the 1977 Royals choke. At least the 1980 and 85 Royals redeemed it with postseason success.

These days, I care, but ... the disappointment doesn't last as long or as deeply. I'm able to disconnect. I realized I have a lot more important things in life. Plus, this franchise no longer deserves my heart and soul.

BigRedChief
10-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Someone needs to start firecarlpeterson.com

AliChi3fs owns the rights to that domain.

Boozer
10-03-2005, 08:15 AM
Man, I had no idea so many people felt this way. I'm surprised someone hasn't snapped and shot someone in the front office. Seriously.

wolfpack0735
10-03-2005, 08:15 AM
my wife has the greatest theropy for me ( and she dosent do house calls except for me) she leaves me alone for a couple of hours after the game, maybe because she`s pi$$ off also. then i get some at night. by morning i`m fine.

ChiTown
10-03-2005, 08:19 AM
I realized I have a lot more important things in life. Plus, this franchise no longer deserves my heart and soul.

AMEN!

Chiefnj
10-03-2005, 08:21 AM
It's a game.

It all kind of hit me after 9-11 and the Chiefs/Giants game. Life was going to go on for me whether the Chiefs won or lost, but it wasn't going to go on for 4,000 some odd people who died that day. It's just a game. Green, Hicks, Surtain - they don't give a crap if I'm having a bad week at work. If they win, great. If they lose, I can log onto the planet or coalition and see 30-40 people in a tailspin over something they have absolutely no control over.

Bob Dole
10-03-2005, 08:28 AM
Like I said yesterday, if it wasn't meeting friends and family, my 500 mile trip in 2 weeks would be void.

No shit. It's pretty messed up when Bob Dole is looking forward to everything BUT the game.

ROYC75
10-03-2005, 08:30 AM
It's just a typical Monday after a game for me..........

ROYC75
10-03-2005, 08:32 AM
No shit. It's pretty messed up when Bob Dole is looking forward to everything BUT the game.

Kinda the way I feel...... If it was just for the game, I would stay at home and watch it on Sunday Ticket.

But to miss the annual events and friends ........ Not going to happen unless an act of God permits me from attending.

rageeumr
10-03-2005, 08:34 AM
As funny as it is, I have found my solace in something that actually means LESS than the game. I put a lot of effort into following the Chiefs, but I also put a lot of effort into fantasy football, and the difference is that you actually have some control over how well the fantasy team does. Even days like yesterday, when I stop yelling at the TV, I can sit back and see that I'm winning in both of my leagues. Of course the weeks when I do as bad as the Chiefs, it makes for a bad Monday....

oldandslow
10-03-2005, 08:47 AM
This will sound "pithy" but what the hell...

I am beginning to get old. I like it. It lets you put everything in perspective....

I lost my first wife to cancer at a very young age. That is what pain is.

My oldest boy received earned a Ph.D. That is what joy is.

I "raised" three boys alone for several years. That is what trial is.

Several years later, I fell in love again after I thought I never would. That is what surprise is.

We are raising my wife's difficult nephew. That is what patience is.

I thank God every day for each morning. For hunts in the fall, for baseball and bbq in the summer, for that first snow. That is what being grateful is.

I also thank him for the Minnesota Vikings. I know I may not live long enough to see the end of the next 5 (or 25) year plan. But I also know that for one moment, back when I was young enough to enjoy it, I felt absolute glee at the end of a football game. But you know what - That pleasure pales significantly when I remember my kids being born, my first wife's final breaths, or knowing love again after years of waiting.

Life is good. There are many wonderful things going on in the world. Go enjoy them.

NewChief
10-03-2005, 08:50 AM

I had the same thing happen yesterday. It was my freaking birthday, and it was ruined. We were supposed to go out to dinner, but I didn't even want to leave the house after the loss. Then today, I don't want to get out of bed or go to work. It just sucks.

dirk digler
10-03-2005, 09:11 AM

I am beginning to get old. I like it. It lets you put everything in perspective....

Several years later, I fell in love again after I thought I never would. That is what surprise is.

I thank God every day for each morning. For hunts in the fall, for baseball and bbq in the summer, for that first snow. That is what being grateful is.

I also thank him for the Minnesota Vikings. I know I may not live long enough to see the end of the next 5 (or 25) year plan. But I also know that for one moment, back when I was young enough to enjoy it, I felt absolute glee at the end of a football game. But you know what - That pleasure pales significantly when I remember my kids being born, my first wife's final breaths, or knowing love again after years of waiting.

Life is good. There are many wonderful things going on in the world. Go enjoy them.

Wow that is a great prespective. You really should send that to Hallmark.

kcblue555
10-03-2005, 09:13 AM
That strange feeling you're having hitsmage is sanity,reality and common sense creeping back into your brain

chagrin
10-03-2005, 09:16 AM
If I had the money, I'd buy a team.

And then people would talk about me the way they talk about Dan Snyder. :D

Nobody can be as stupid as he (regarding personnel changes that is)is.

You wouldn't bring in players like you would if you owned the world's most expensive fanstay team, right?

Picking up players after one good week, or half a year, paying them too much and ruining team chemistry, you wouldn't, you couldn't...could you?

chagrin
10-03-2005, 09:19 AM
P.S. for the A-holes who don't know what I am referring to and are going to tout him as some sort of genius, I am referring to his Jeff George, Trung Candidate, Bruce Smith, Trotter, Hll, Coles, Morton, debacle. He took a team, that had finally begun to live, and completely dismantled them.

Having written that, I wish Carl would be so brazen, instead of teasing us with one or two pick up every 4 years.

keg in kc
10-03-2005, 09:21 AM
I went through this about two years ago. At that time, the Chiefs were something that filled a...void, for lack of a better word, in my life. My moods rose and fell depending on the team, I spent a ridiculous number of hours here; it was like the team was giving meaning to my life where there was none.

Then I realized how silly that was, and I've toned back. Sometimes it takes conscious effort, but I try to keep the talk radio off, for the most part, I've stopped reading the paper or online sites every day, I try to limit myself to fanatacism on Sundays only. I've come to realize that the only important thing, with regards to the team, is the 3 hours they play each week. All the talk, all the opinion, means absolutely nothing. It's filler.

Now, I was bummed a week ago, of course. And last evening. But the difference now is that it's just a one day thing. Tuning out helps. A lot.

Hammock Parties
10-03-2005, 09:22 AM
If I remember correctly, htismaqeGM wanted to sign David Patten.

Patten has 7 catches for 46 yards in Washington so far.

Dammit, htismaqe!

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-03-2005, 09:23 AM

:clap:

best post ever.

Area 51
10-03-2005, 09:23 AM
Being a fan as you describe, makes you on par with most fans of any team in the NFL. We take losses poorly.

I think the rise and fall of football fandom can be taken to a new level. Sunday when the Chiefs needed vocal support the most, Down by 10 with about 6 minutes left (guestimate of the remaining time) it looked like at least 60% of the fans at the game bailed out. Should the team have gotten the onside kick they would have been in a position to win the game. At that point in time they need the voices of as close to 78000 as they could get. The fans that attended the game and left early failed the Chiefs on Sunday October 2, 2005.

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-03-2005, 09:28 AM
The fans that attended the game and left early failed the Chiefs on Sunday October 2, 2005.
Waaaa... just like fans of every other team who leave before a game is over. I don't want to hear how any fans have "failed the team" after we pay the outrageous prices for tickets, parking, concessions, souveniers etc.. One day it would be nice if the team would stop "failing the fans" but hey... it's sports, there are no guarantees.

Katipan
10-03-2005, 09:34 AM
It used to be hard to watch my husband slip into a funk after a Chiefs loss. Now it's even harder watching ENDelt get depressed too.

This is why you should always watch the Chiefs with friends. It's too dangerous to do it alone.

In the process of getting everyone drunk to dull the pain, i got pass out drooling drunk.

Now the only pain I feel is a hang over.

Chiefies are going to run the board after the bye week. And if they don't. I'll just make sure I have friends and beer.

htismaqe
10-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Aren't you the one that told everybody else that's it's just a game and that we shouldn't take it so seriously?

Sorry, but I see the "Carl Peterson is a pig dog, Vermeil must be fired" stuff in the offseason as much different from the winning/losing thing...

BigChiefFan
10-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Sorry, but I see the "Carl Peterson is a pig dog, Vermeil must be fired" stuff in the offseason as much different from the winning/losing thing...
It's obvious the two have a direct connection.

KevB
10-03-2005, 09:56 AM
My "rise and fall" hasn't been an epiphany, it's been a series of events that have led to my awakening. I have lived and died K-State and Chiefs football since 1989. The '95 playoff game and the '98 Big 12 Championship game affected me to the point that I became physically ill. It was to the point that I no longer looked forward to the games, because I was so nervous they'd lose a "must win" game. Yet, I was as emotionally invested as ever. It affected my mood for several days, compounded by other stressful situations in my life.

Well, marriage and 3 kids later, I still care deeply, but I'm able to let it go. As others have so eloquently explained, there are just more important things in life. Does it make sense to base your mindset on what a bunch of 18-20 year olds do on Saturday, or a bunch of millionaires on Sunday? Hell, many of the NFL guys, even after a bad loss, walk around the field meeting and greeting with big smiles on their faces post-game. If they're able to let it go immediately after the game, why can't I?

This weekend, my Cats and Chiefs were humiliated, and my fantasy football teams (only 1 loss previously this season) went 0-4. In years past, I'd be too upset to even read this board today. But, no worries. If they improve and make the playoffs, great. If they don't, at least I've had the opportunity to spend another fall watching some football.

htismaqe
10-03-2005, 09:58 AM
It's obvious the two have a direct connection.

No, they really don't.

Even today, I don't care WHY they lost. I'm just bummed that they lost.

Calcountry
10-03-2005, 10:04 AM

Now I'm discovering that football is now filling that void. I honestly don't know what to do.Dude, you have to remember that it is a game. It is for entertainment, and more than anything, you have absolutely no control over the outcome, none.

My dad told me this when I was having a reaction to the late 70's team. I knew no more of football than a kid should, but I got deeply hurt by games such as yesterday. My dad told me. Those guys don't know you and I doubt that they care about your feelings, so why do you care about them so much?

It was an eerily familiar feeling that I had yesterday, a gnawing sickening feeling. One that will cause a guy pumped full of adrenaline to lash out at something.

After giving up on the game, but watching because dammit I paid for Sunday ticket, the play on the goal line where WTF was it? tipped the ball and the eagles punk not only catches it but lands right on the yellow first down stripe. From the bottom of my heart I get out of my chair walk to the side of the TV, pound on the stand, and screem SON OF A BITCH! SON OF A BITCH! SON OF A BITCH! Son of a bitch.

My son comes running in from the front room and is staring at me, "What, whats up Dad". He seemed curious and all, but I wanted nothing to do with him and told him to go away. Great daddy right there.

Its not worth it. I found myself reevaluating the whole thing, much as many of you are on this thread. I am glad to see I am not alone. That lost yesterday Sucked BAOWS as our friend from Iowa would say. It hurt. Enough to make me reconsider the whole damn thing. Perhaps no more Sunday ticket, and perhaps less hours studying up the team, I don't know yet. Maybe this feeling will burn off in a couple of days, but it absolutely sucks taking this into the bye week.

keg in kc
10-03-2005, 10:07 AM
This is why you should always watch the Chiefs with friends. It's too dangerous to do it alone.Wins are more fun in a crowd. But it's worse watching a loss with other people. Much worse. If it gets too bad, I don't feel guilty turning it off if I'm alone (although I rarely do...), and I don't have to listen to a bunch of drunk idiots arguing about why it happened or complaining about the perplexed "smiles" on peoples faces or how we lack "heart" or how this is just like the game XXXX years ago where player XXXX did XXXX and we lost. I get enough of that on here; dealing with it in person might end up with an arrest. Mine probably.

MOhillbilly
10-03-2005, 10:07 AM
i quit caring after the cinci loss a few years back.

i miss the years when KC had heart on D and would pull it out in the 2nd half.
I hate this team,i like a few players on either side of the ball but as a team i hate them. from CP to the cheerleaders.
KC is a joke,they just dont know it.

keg in kc
10-03-2005, 10:09 AM
If that wasn't perfect timing, I don't know what is.

kcblue555
10-03-2005, 10:09 AM
I was rehabilitated and deprorammed from being a extreme Chiefs fan after the last Mackovic season, during the Ganz years and I graduauted when Carl, Lamar and Marty got up at the preseason banquet in 1990 and GUARANTEED CHIEFS FANS A SUPERBOWL. That last blast of HORSE MANURE permantly cured me of Chiefs fanaticism. The last 17 years have been hilarious watching Carl take this city for a ride!

Calcountry
10-03-2005, 10:12 AM
Become a band wagon fan that way you are never disappointed.I considered this. Not paying attention unless the Chiefs make the playoffs again.

David.
10-03-2005, 10:14 AM
I know what you mean.

When the chiefs game didn't come on at first I was freaking out. Then after we lost I seriously felt sick to my stomach for a while after the game.

I take them way too serious. Sucks.

ROYC75
10-03-2005, 10:17 AM

:clap: Well said. Since my wife became terminal, I have a whole different look on life. Football/ golf / sports in general is just something to fill in sometime when you take a break from the reality of life.

MichaelH
10-03-2005, 10:23 AM

I have two boys aged 7 and 18 months. I was about to throw my Chiefs hat across the room when I looked over and saw my youngest staring at me. I then realized it's not worth getting torn up over and setting a bad example. After last year, I've grown sort of numb to the agony of defeat.

Mr. Rat Fink
10-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Good morning. Or goodnight. I don't really know what time it is. All I know is that I stayed up all night listening to K-State get flogged by a bad OU team and then I wake up at 4am the next day to listen to the Chiefs blow another game. I think I skipped classes and slept through a whole day because I never saw the sun. I have a sinus infection. I don't understand why I care so much about a game played 10,000 miles away. There is a strange and exciting world out there I should be enjoying, but for some reason it doesn't matter today. Football is like the old family dog that always pisses on your rug. You hate it, but you love it too much to give it away.

Calcountry
10-03-2005, 10:24 AM
As funny as it is, I have found my solace in something that actually means LESS than the game. I put a lot of effort into following the Chiefs, but I also put a lot of effort into fantasy football, and the difference is that you actually have some control over how well the fantasy team does. Even days like yesterday, when I stop yelling at the TV, I can sit back and see that I'm winning in both of my leagues. Of course the weeks when I do as bad as the Chiefs, it makes for a bad Monday....hehe. At least I had the OVER in the CP fantasy gambling challenge. I kept telling myself that as the Eagles kept scoring, then the knot in my gut told me the truth about things.

Calcountry
10-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Waaaa... just like fans of every other team who leave before a game is over. I don't want to hear how any fans have "failed the team" after we pay the outrageous prices for tickets, parking, concessions, souveniers etc.. One day it would be nice if the team would stop "failing the fans" but hey... it's sports, there are no guarantees.I agree. Trent failed us yesterday with the INT. LJ put his diapers BACK on.

They didn't fail the team, the team hurt them so bad they couldn't stand to watch anymore of it.

Seriously, do who gets pumped up watching a team have to rely on an onside kick for a SLIM chance to win(no guarantee they would score after recovering it).

Inspector
10-03-2005, 10:27 AM

Try masterbating compulsively. It takes up time, occupies your thinking and lets you get "in touch" with yourself.

Frazod
10-03-2005, 10:34 AM

Same here.

I've basically been hiding since I left Hemied's house early in the 4th quarter yesterday. Didn't turn the TV on, didn't buy a paper, didn't log on to the BB until this morning. These assholes have just sucked the life out of me, and I pretty much feel like Parker does. Everybody at my office knows what a big Chiefs fan I am, so I've already engaged in the "what's wrong with the Chiefs?" discussion about five times this morning and I'm sure I'm not done. Like last week wasn't bad enough. At least the game wasn't televised up here, so most people didn't actually watch it.

These turds make me embarrassed to be from Kansas City. It seems clear that we've missed our window of opportunity. The big defensive upgrade came a year too late. If the loss of ONE offensive lineman can completely rip our nuts off, then really, what business do we have entertaining any sort of championship aspirations, division or otherwise? We can't hang with the true championship-level teams. It was proven yesterday. Now it's really sinking in.

I don't even want to think about football right now.

:shake:

alanm
10-03-2005, 10:38 AM
After cussing up a storm Monday night in front of my 6 year old son, and then having the day that we had yesterday, I think I need to get the f*ck out as well. NFL football is not fun for me anymore.

I'm sick of national TV stations like ESPN and Fox do nothing but fawn all over the jack@ss players.

I'm sick of Gunther apparently not even watching film of other teams' offenses before we play them.

I'm sick of leaving my son at home while I go waste an entire day watching this putrid team play.

I'm sick of Bob Gretz, Mitch Holthus, Rufus Dawes, Jonathan Rand, Jim Barnes, and Eileen Weir.

I'm sick of all the whining about the need to get Arrowhead upgraded or replaced.

Post of the day so far. :)

Area 51
10-03-2005, 10:50 AM
Waaaa... just like fans of every other team who leave before a game is over. I don't want to hear how any fans have "failed the team" after we pay the outrageous prices for tickets, parking, concessions, souveniers etc.. One day it would be nice if the team would stop "failing the fans" but hey... it's sports, there are no guarantees.
My guess is that you wasn't at the game.

Would have served your ass right to be on your way home and miss the best part of a game.

The Chiefs didn't win this one, but I hope on future visits you leave early and miss seeing a fantastic finish.

If I pay for at ticket I'm going to stay at the stadium and witness every second of what I paid for. If you have a problem with that, don't go to the games.

I didn't make it to the game, but I watched up to the last second waiting for the Chiefs to do what I know they are capable of.

I might be considered a homer, but I'd figure that you are now calling for the resignation and or firing of DV, CP and others.

keg in kc
10-03-2005, 11:01 AM
If I pay for at ticket I'm going to stay at the stadium and witness every second of what I paid for. If you have a problem with that, don't go to the games.Good for you. I'm that way, too. But somebody else who paid for their ticket has every damned right to get up and leave whenever the f*ck they feel like it. The fans don't owe anything to the team. We pay them, and it's their priviledge to perform for us, to entertain us. If we cheer, it's because we want to, not because it's our job. The obligation is runs the other direction.

Hell, maybe it's a statement that needs to be made. Football is entertainment. Getting up and leaving is the second loudest statement that fans can make to say "This sucks, I'm not enjoying myself," the first being an empty stadium.

It's not a perfect analogy, but I see it as something along the lines of getting up and leaving the theater because a movie sucks.

Mr. Kotter
10-03-2005, 11:05 AM

I'm gettin' there myself. :shake:

Calcountry
10-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Good for you. I'm that way, too. But somebody else who paid for their ticket has every damned right to get up and leave whenever the f*ck they feel like it. The fans don't owe anything to the team. We pay them, and it's their priviledge to perform for us, to entertain us. If we cheer, it's because we want to, not because it's our job. The obligation is runs the other direction.

Hell, maybe it's a statement that needs to be made. Football is entertainment. Getting up and leaving is the second loudest statement that fans can make to say "This sucks, I'm not enjoying myself," the first being an empty stadium.

It's not a perfect analogy, but I see it as something along the lines of getting up and leaving the theater because a movie sucks.The players and coaches need to quit sucking. Its just that simple.

I mean, they play in Missouri for crying out loud. The "show me" state.

Hey Dick Vermiel, show me a good football team.

Mr. Kotter
10-03-2005, 11:09 AM
As far as fans leaving early....it's their ticket, and their right.

I don't like it; but I completely understand the disgust of sitting there thinking "Here we go again..."

It gets old. Fast. Real fast. :shake:

NewChief
10-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Everybody at my office knows what a big Chiefs fan I am, so I've already engaged in the "what's wrong with the Chiefs?" discussion about five times this morning and I'm sure I'm not done. Like last week wasn't bad enough.

That has to be the worst part. I'd rather deal with a smartass rivals fan that I could just tell to **** off and shut up than some guy that just sort of watches football and honestly wants to have a conversation about the loss.

BIG_DADDY
10-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Funny I increasingly find myself less inclined to watch team sports in general. I hate baseball unless one of my teams is in the playoffs. I have no intention of watching any of the playoffs this year. Yankmee's, Red Sox, Braves, sorry, been there done that. Basketball, I love the Lakers but am not going to go out of my way (season ticket) to watch them till they begin putting it together again. Hockey, I really like the Sharks but going to the game is much better than watching it on TV. Since I get killer free tickets occasionally throughout the season it makes paying once in awhile not a big deal. I only go when they are playing well too, nothing worse than bad hockey. I am also not emotionally attached to the point where it makes me depressed when we lose. Football and the Chiefs are by far my biggest obsession with seeing them win it all. Their losses effect me the most when they happen and I don't enjoy my day which I am beginning to have issues with. I don't see things changing though I guess I just have to try and detach myself a little more. I am also trying to watch less TV in general and when I do watch sports have it be more MMA as I always enjoy watching that.

Area 51
10-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Good for you. I'm that way, too. But somebody else who paid for their ticket has every damned right to get up and leave whenever the f*ck they feel like it. The fans don't owe anything to the team. We pay them, and it's their priviledge to perform for us, to entertain us. If we cheer, it's because we want to, not because it's our job. The obligation is runs the other direction.

It's not a perfect analogy, but I see it as something along the lines of getting up and leaving the theater because a movie sucks.

A just ending to every fan that leaves a game that is not out of reach is that they miss the comeback.

I guess I see it as a difference of how much of a fan you are. If you are a diehard, like many of us claim to be, you stay. If you are of the bandwagon variety you leave when you get pissed or if you think the game is over. I see it as a lack of committment.

Yes they can leave when they want to, I feel differently as you about the why's and wherefores.

Area 51
10-03-2005, 12:05 PM
The players and coaches need to quit sucking. Its just that simple.

I mean, they play in Missouri for crying out loud. The "show me" state.

Hey Dick Vermiel, show me a good football team.

DV might be saying show me some true diehard fan spirit.

Raiderhater
10-03-2005, 12:05 PM
I am still emotionally attached. And I have no plans of changing that in the near future.

I'm just a sadist, what can I say?

siberian khatru
10-03-2005, 12:06 PM
That has to be the worst part. I'd rather deal with a smartass rivals fan that I could just tell to **** off and shut up than some guy that just sort of watches football and honestly wants to have a conversation about the loss.

Yeah, my boss asked me this morning "Hey, what happened to the Chiefs yesterday?" He wasn't teasing me, he honestly wanted to know how they lost that game.

I just groaned and rolled my eyes and told him I'd e-mail him the front page of Chiefs Planet and he could read for himself.

siberian khatru
10-03-2005, 12:07 PM
I am still emotionally attached. And I have no plans of changing that in the near future.

I'm just a sadist, what can I say?

You're also young. Once you get married, have kids, you realize you can't afford to invest so much in something you can't control.

Straight, No Chaser
10-03-2005, 12:11 PM

If you know video editing.., oh never mind.

After the first quarter you, like most of the rest of us, were feeling pretty high about all things Chief. Then, in the next couple of hours, you were taken about as low as it gets, that's all.

--->

Raiderhater
10-03-2005, 12:11 PM
A just ending to every fan that leaves a game that is not out of reach is that they miss the comeback.

I guess I see it as a difference of how much of a fan you are. If you are a diehard, like many of us claim to be, you stay. If you are of the bandwagon variety you leave when you get pissed or if you think the game is over. I see it as a lack of committment.

Yes they can leave when they want to, I feel differently as you about the why's and wherefores.

Dude, quit being a dick. I am of the same mindset that if I pay the big money it requires to attend a game, I am staying until the final second has ticked off. However, I do not fault in any little way fans who decide they want to leave early to try and get a jump on the traffic because their team is playing like complete shit. I'd have been tempted to leave early in the 4th yesterday. I wouldn't have done so, but the urge to go out and start the post tailgate crying in my beer early would have been awful strong.

Just because people leave when they are not getting what they paid for does not make them any less of fans than we who stay to the end. You do not have to be a complete sadist to be a true fan. So shut up already.

Raiderhater
10-03-2005, 12:14 PM
You're also young. Once you get married, have kids, you realize you can't afford to invest so much in something you can't control.

This is true.

htismaqe
10-03-2005, 12:22 PM

See, it's the opposite for me.

This all started when I got married and had kids. Before that I was too busy with "other stuff". I didn't have time to invest so much into a football team.

Now, I'm bored out of my mind 16 hours a day, so it's all Chiefs, all the time.

Area 51
10-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Dude, quit being a dick. I am of the same mindset that if I pay the big money it requires to attend a game, I am staying until the final second has ticked off. However, I do not fault in any little way fans who decide they want to leave early to try and get a jump on the traffic because their team is playing like complete shit. I'd have been tempted to leave early in the 4th yesterday. I wouldn't have done so, but the urge to go out and start the post tailgate crying in my beer early would have been awful strong.

Just because people leave when they are not getting what they paid for does not make them any less of fans than we who stay to the end. You do not have to be a complete sadist to be a true fan. So shut up already.

I don't want to infer that they are worse fans for leaving, it just pisses me off when you could be part of the catylst for a comeback.

Raiderhater
10-03-2005, 12:50 PM
I don't want to infer that they are worse fans for leaving....

That is the way it is coming across.

...it just pisses me off when you could be part of the catylst for a comeback.

Just as it pisses them off that we were IN a comeback situation after having an 18 point lead at one time.

The fans really can't do shit if the team isn't doing shit.

Area 51
10-03-2005, 12:52 PM
That is the way it is coming across.

Just as it pisses them off that we were IN a comeback situation after having an 18 point lead at one time.

The fans really can't do shit if the team isn't doing shit.

The final score was 37-31. IF the onside kick had of worked who could say that they wouldn't have scored?

Raiderhater
10-03-2005, 12:58 PM
The final score was 37-31. IF the onside kick had of worked who could say that they wouldn't have scored?

I truly believe they would have scored had they recovered. That, however, does not mean shit when the fans started leaving well before the team put themselves in that position. The team should not have fallen apart, they should have done something MUCH sooner. With the exception of the first quarter, the team played like shit yesterday. Nobody expected them to suddenly snap out of it in the final two minutes and "make a game of it".

mlyonsd
10-03-2005, 01:00 PM
The other option would be of course to stay and boo.

ROYC75
10-03-2005, 01:00 PM
See, it's the opposite for me.

This all started when I got married and had kids. Before that I was too busy with "other stuff". I didn't have time to invest so much into a football team.

Now, I'm bored out of my mind 16 hours a day, so it's all Chiefs, all the time.

Man, you have it bad. I love the Chiefs, but to live it all the time as I did before, I'm just glad those days are in the past. Too many times my heart has been ripped out and stomped on by the FO and the team.

Problem is we all are longing for the days when we had a good defense and winning games were a tradition ......now it's just a wish.

All I can say to ya is, it will get easier as you get older.

ROYC75
10-03-2005, 01:02 PM

That would have been awesome had we gotten it back. What a finish..... :drool:

OK, back to reality.

Raiderhater
10-03-2005, 01:03 PM
The other option would be of course to stay and boo.

I hate booing, I refuse to do it.

mlyonsd
10-03-2005, 01:06 PM

Me too. I'm just saying that I can understand people leaving. One way or another the fans need to show they're disgruntled otherwise nothing will change.

Ok, I almost got through that without laughing. Not quite though.

Mr. Kotter
10-03-2005, 01:12 PM

I only boo the other team comin' out of the tunnel; or the refs for a particularly bad call.

I can't boo the team. I usually just stare as if in a catotonic state, or shake my head...I usually hope against hope, until there is NO chance. Like the failed on-sides yesterday. :(

DMAC
10-03-2005, 01:37 PM
I only boo the other team comin' out of the tunnel; or the refs for a particularly bad call.

I can't boo the team. I usually just stare as if in a catotonic state, or shake my head...I usually hope against hope, until there is NO chance. Like the failed on-sides yesterday. :(
so what do we do? do we step down from the "fanatic" stage and just become an observer? Is that even a possibilty? Are we just doing this because they are losing? It shouldnt be that a football game or two effects an entire work week.

the Talking Can
10-03-2005, 01:53 PM
I thought I had gotten over the week long depressions when the Chiefs lose...but these last two games are brutal, I can't imagine watching this sorry ass not heart team for 12 more weeks, but I willl

i just wish we'd lose but not get humiliated...we always give up and get pounded, and its so predictable..you can sense when the game is over (Trent's INT...LJ's fumble at Denver)...we have no character, no will....that's what pisses me of so much and drives me insane...HAVE SOME PRIDE YOU ASSHOLES!!

everything Philly is, we are not...no one wants to hear it but this team is not going to the playoffs...again

Raiderhater
10-03-2005, 02:00 PM

I do not boo anyone. On the other hand, I do partake of cussing anyone and everyone out. Especially my team, the worthless c*cksucking, motherless douche bag lot of them.

F#ckers.

Mr. Kotter
10-03-2005, 02:19 PM
so what do we do? do we step down from the "fanatic" stage and just become an observer? Is that even a possibilty? Are we just doing this because they are losing? It shouldnt be that a football game or two effects an entire work week.

You have to stop the fanatical stuff, and become more an observer once they do what our boys are doin' to us....otherwise, it's easy to become depressed. If you are "fanatical," more than likely....it is going to effect you longer than a day or two...

I'm just a huge fan; I don't consider myself a "fanatic" anymore...like you suggest, that just takes too big a toll. I learned my lesson after the '95 Indy playoff game....and I relearned it after the '97 Donk loss at Arrowhead in January. I was slow to learn, but I've learned.

Area 51
10-03-2005, 02:24 PM
I truly believe they would have scored had they recovered. That, however, does not mean shit when the fans started leaving well before the team put themselves in that position. The team should not have fallen apart, they should have done something MUCH sooner. With the exception of the first quarter, the team played like shit yesterday. Nobody expected them to suddenly snap out of it in the final two minutes and "make a game of it".

I know the definition of "almost" can be stretched beyond imagination, but the fact that they almost made a game out of it should be enough to let the fans know that against a team that was in the superbowl last year, it can happen.

Your daughter might be almost pregnant. Or you almost won the lotter, you just didn't buy a ticket, etc.

Raiderhater
10-03-2005, 02:34 PM
I know the definition of "almost" can be stretched beyond imagination, but the fact that they almost made a game out of it should be enough to let the fans know that against a team that was in the superbowl last year, it can happen.

Your daughter might be almost pregnant. Or you almost won the lotter, you just didn't buy a ticket, etc.

The fact that they had the game well in hand and quit playing in the second quarter told the fans all they needed to know.

Area 51
10-03-2005, 02:41 PM
The fact that they had the game well in hand and quit playing in the second quarter told the fans all they needed to know.

I don't think I can agree with you. The Chiefs are a team that is coming off of the most disappointing season in recent history, the fact that they were in a position to beat the team that won the NFC last year should tell you something.

If not, we need not to continue this discussion. I see potential where you do not.

Raiderhater
10-03-2005, 02:57 PM
I don't think I can agree with you. The Chiefs are a team that is coming off of the most disappointing season in recent history, the fact that they were in a position to beat the team that won the NFC last year should tell you something.

If not, we need not to continue this discussion. I see potential where you do not.

That is where you are wrong, I do see potential, LOTS of it. And THAT is why this is so damned frustrating. The team is not living up to that potential. Same thing happened last season. The first two games of this year it looked like we had righted the ship, and now after last week and yesterday, people are beggining to suspect a repeat of last year.

What I saw yesterday was a team that should play with and beat the elite teams of the league completely mail it in in the second quarter at home. There "come back" at the end actually pisses me off the more I think about it. Why the hell didn't they do that in the third quarter and protect our f#cking lead? They are cleary capable of it, yet for whatever reason they do not. Do not try and spin yesterday's 4th quarter surge as something neat, or great, because it wasn't. It was dispicable that tehy decided so late in the game that they suddenly cared about winning the game. That is bullshit.

tk13
10-03-2005, 03:01 PM
95 and 97 helped neuter me. I was just a teenager but those losses were devastating. 95 especially, I was prepared for 97 because I thought the Broncos were a good team, but it still sucked. Then the last game of 99, that was pretty rough. After a while you get used to it. Last week's loss was far more depressing than yesterday, at least to me, maybe it's because it was the Broncos, plus we didn't show up, at all. Plus I think the Eagles are an extremely good team. Shouldn't have happened, but I wasn't stunned when it did.

Area 51
10-03-2005, 03:08 PM
That is where you are wrong, I do see potential, LOTS of it. And THAT is why this is so damned frustrating. The team is not living up to that potential. Same thing happened last season. The first two games of this year it looked like we had righted the ship, and now after last week and yesterday, people are beggining to suspect a repeat of last year.

What I saw yesterday was a team that should play with and beat the elite teams of the league completely mail it in in the second quarter at home. There "come back" at the end actually pisses me off the more I think about it. Why the hell didn't they do that in the third quarter and protect our f#cking lead? They are cleary capable of it, yet for whatever reason they do not. Do not try and spin yesterday's 4th quarter surge as something neat, or great, because it wasn't. It was dispicable that tehy decided so late in the game that they suddenly cared about winning the game. That is bullshit.

Did the team quit or was the coaching responsible for the draw back of weapons? I don't want to take totally away from what McNabb did, he is a top notch QB, but we did stiffle him in the first half. Where was the change?

chiefs4me
10-03-2005, 04:18 PM

It's not is it...it is just no fun anymore, I swear I am gonna have a stroke one of these days...but I am glad to know I am not the only one crying over a freaking football game...:(

chiefs4me
10-03-2005, 04:23 PM
I thought I had gotten over the week long depressions when the Chiefs lose...but these last two games are brutal, I can't imagine watching this sorry ass not heart team for 12 more weeks, but I willl

i just wish we'd lose but not get humiliated...we always give up and get pounded, and its so predictable..you can sense when the game is over (Trent's INT...LJ's fumble at Denver)...we have no character, no will....that's what pisses me of so much and drives me insane...HAVE SOME PRIDE YOU ASSHOLES!!

everything Philly is, we are not...no one wants to hear it but this team is not going to the playoffs...again

ROFL...not going to the playoffs again, are you trying to make me cry? I do have faith that we will win the superbowl again before I die...at least I did until I read this thread....:banghead:

but even I am tired of telling my friends and family..oh yea, well you just wait until next year.........:rolleyes:

Raiderhater
10-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Did the team quit or was the coaching responsible for the draw back of weapons? I don't want to take totally away from what McNabb did, he is a top notch QB, but we did stiffle him in the first half. Where was the change?

I consider the coaches to be part of the team. So the answer to the question is, yes.

Skip Towne
10-03-2005, 05:23 PM
This thread brings back memories. About 20 years ago I lived and died with the Chiefs (Mostly died). When I first woke up in the morning after a loss, I'd become depressed and say that way all week. But not anymore. Now it's just "So, what's on next?"

chiefs4me
10-03-2005, 05:24 PM
This thread brings back memories. About 20 years ago I lived and died with the Chiefs (Mostly died). When I first woke up in the morning after a loss, I'd become depressed and say that way all week. But not anymore. Now it's just "So, what's on next?"

you big fibber...you know damn well that you cry like the rest of us..;)

CosmicPal
10-03-2005, 05:33 PM
I share Skip's sentiment: I too used to get so wrapped up in the wins and losses it would make or break my days- depending upon the significance of the game- it could last all week.

It was all we talked about all week. Everyone I knew. Everyone from family members to friends and their friends to co-workers to the very strangers you'd meet when you were at the store waiting for coffee.

I loved it, and I hated it. When the Chiefs won- it was like watching the birth of your natural born child, but when they lost- it was like watching one of your loved ones die.

It took me awhile, but after so many years of great expectations- I've just learned to shrug them off and hit the nearest Broncos fan with my golf club.

cdcox
10-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Like many, I've developed a thick skin over the years. I keep my expectations in check. This one sucker punched me though. After the first quarter, I had us at 3-1... then poof. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be over it.

Raiderhater
10-03-2005, 06:01 PM
I share Skip's sentiment: I too used to get so wrapped up in the wins and losses it would make or break my days- depending upon the significance of the game- it could last all week.

It was all we talked about all week. Everyone I knew. Everyone from family members to friends and their friends to co-workers to the very strangers you'd meet when you were at the store waiting for coffee.

I loved it, and I hated it. When the Chiefs won- it was like watching the birth of your natural born child, but when they lost- it was like watching one of your loved ones die.

It took me awhile, but after so many years of great expectations- I've just learned to shrug them off and hit the nearest Broncos fan with my golf club.

Well hell's bells, we'd all take losses alot better if we had a donkey fan near by to club afterwords.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-03-2005, 06:03 PM
the fans of only 1 team out of 32 get to feel good about their season. The fact that 1 team has won it 3 out of the last 4, it's a wonder there are any NFL fans left at all

Jenson71
10-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Sounds bad, man.

You got a family, a job and yourself to take care of. For the sake of those matters, you got to control this.

Calcountry
10-03-2005, 06:58 PM
This thread brings back memories. About 20 years ago I lived and died with the Chiefs (Mostly died). When I first woke up in the morning after a loss, I'd become depressed and say that way all week. But not anymore. Now it's just "So, what's on next?"Yes, they sucked back then and the Raiders were good.

RNR
10-03-2005, 08:12 PM
All I can say to ya is, it will get easier as you get older.

That is a fact, when younger a loss would ruin my night, and most of the next week. Then I started to see the game from a much different veiwpoint.

Players started to be hired guns, playing for whoever pays the most. I would be bummed yet watch the guys who played the game laughing and talking to players on the team that just beat them. I started thinking whats wrong with this picture?

Another thing is I started to see alot of players for what they are, overpaid spoiled jerks and in many cases flat out thugs. Many would be in jail if not for the fact they are blessed with great size or speed or whatever skill to play a game.

Hey I still root and holler and enjoy the game. But I see it for what it is "a game" I will always root for Oakland win lose or tie, but win lose or tie when the game is over I go on with my life.

NJ Chief Fan
10-03-2005, 08:40 PM

i felt the same way...i was sick before the game started with just a little cold by the end of the game i was far more sicker and wanted to puke my brains out...i didnt want to be bothered i didnt want to do anything today

KC Jones
10-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Yesterday's game really got to me too, but that's to be expected. I honestly thought we had a real shot at going to the SB this year. After the Denver game I was still clinging to some hope, but yesterday pretty well squashed it. We might still make it to the playoffs but we're a middle of the pack team and will get bounced by one of the better teams if/when we do. From here on out the losses won't hurt as much because I know where we are. In a few years if we have another team that should be good I will likely get my hopes up and get them squashed again. It's all part of being a fan.

CosmicPal
10-03-2005, 09:24 PM
I suggest chronic masturbation. You won't really go blind. Well, assuming you don't have terrible aim.

Words from the tried and true.

:D

Katipan
10-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Haha... yeah, I like you solved the whole "having to see ENDelt bummed" problem by passing the f*ck out.

you are so beautiful

WilliamTheIrish
10-03-2005, 09:42 PM
I was insane in the 90s, took every game like it was life or death. The 95 playoff loss to the Colts just devastated me. It's still a black hole in my life, like the 1977 Royals choke. At least the 1980 and 85 Royals redeemed it with postseason success.

These days, I care, but ... the disappointment doesn't last as long or as deeply. I'm able to disconnect. I realized I have a lot more important things in life. Plus, this franchise no longer deserves my heart and soul.

We are cut from the same cloth.

I was a high school sophomore when the Royals blew chunks in the 9th inning of game 5 in 77. Went to school the next day and my 1st hour geometry teacher (a sinister nun named named Sister Mary) said to me "My God 'Liam, you look like absolute hell." It took me till spring training to get over that loss. But the Royals vanquished those losses by jamming a sharp stick in the eye of George Steinbrenner and became champions.

Losing to the Colts just killed me. For weeks. That season we were destined for a title. Then Marty, Bono, and Co conspired with the Gods of Stupidity to snatch it all away. I'm over it now. But it still conjures up the coldest winter day I've ever experienced in my life. Bitter frigging cold. Seemed like winter lasted until July. F*ckin' Marty. Useless m'fer.

New job kept me from seeing most of the game yesterday. Only part I saw was Hall's return. The next time I looked at the game the Chiefs were down 34-24. Game over.

CosmicPal
10-03-2005, 10:54 PM
I was a high school sophomore when the Royals blew chunks in the 9th inning of game 5 in 77.

I was just a kid when that happened, but that is one of my earliest sports memories when Chambliss hit that home run in the 9th inning. My grandmother was dying of cancer at the time, and I wanted the Royals to win to give me some sort of fulfillment. I cried as the crowd ran onto the field.

Losing to the Colts just killed me.

In this case, I wasn't sad. I was pissed. I still get pissed thinking of it. I still to this day think that game was fixed. Someone needs to explain to me how in the ***** we ended up passing when we were averaging nearly 200 yds/game rushing? The bitter cold conditions were ripe for running all over Indy that day, yet we chose to abandon the running game and pass. Not to mention, that tard- that name I never want to hear again missed oh so many field goals. Gawd, I was so mad. I am still mad. Dammit. Now, I've got to go get a drink! Dammit.

:D

OK, I'm over it...

Saulbadguy
10-04-2005, 06:53 AM
I just turned the game off. Not worth my time watching that shit. I'm still pumped about the Redskins game, and for the rest of the season. It was a rough sports weekend for me, but hell, life goes on. I'm still pretty young, and will have lots of opportunities to see my teams win, and lose.

Whats funny is how my SO reacts after a K-State loss. She doesn't care too much about the Chiefs, but when the Wildcats lose she's very upset, much more than I..and she's only been a fan since i've met her, 2 years ago. She better get used to losing...and lots of it, quickly. :)

Area 51
10-04-2005, 07:24 AM
Yesterday's game really got to me too, but that's to be expected. I honestly thought we had a real shot at going to the SB this year. After the Denver game I was still clinging to some hope, but yesterday pretty well squashed it. We might still make it to the playoffs but we're a middle of the pack team and will get bounced by one of the better teams if/when we do. From here on out the losses won't hurt as much because I know where we are. In a few years if we have another team that should be good I will likely get my hopes up and get them squashed again. It's all part of being a fan.

I don't think I'll give up. There still could be a chance if the overall attitude of the team and coaching staff is adjusted. Now, how do we get them adjusted?

Mr. Kotter
10-04-2005, 07:33 AM
...Whats funny is how my SO reacts after a K-State loss. She doesn't care too much about the Chiefs, but when the Wildcats lose she's very upset, much more than I..and she's only been a fan since i've met her, 2 years ago. She better get used to losing...and lots of it, quickly. :)

I convinced one of my college girlfriends that her making me "really happy" would make her feel better and forget the game....

and she bought it, hook-line-and-sinker; worked for two entire seasons--and at KU, that was a lot of losses..... :)