PDA

View Full Version : Gretz nailed this one..... we are pretenders. ( at least for now )

ROYC75
10-03-2005, 10:51 AM
GRETZ: That's What a Contender Looks Like
Oct 03, 2005, 6:00:34 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

So that’s what a Super Bowl caliber team looks like.

The Philadelphia Eagles came into Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday, spotted the Chiefs an 18-point lead and then roared from behind to gain a 37-31 victory that only a few teams in this league could pull off, especially on the road.

A team has to be battle-tested, confident, maybe even cocky to be able to spot the home team that kind of lead and still win the game.

That’s what the Eagles are right now. They are everything the Chiefs are not. Yes, the home team came roaring out of the blocks with a great first quarter, even a good first 10 minutes of the second quarter. They were up 17-0, even blocked a field goal of the Eagles and with four minutes, 47 seconds to go, they were in control of the game.

That’s when the Chiefs went to the well one too many times. They went several times to an empty backfield alignment, with two tight ends and three wide receivers. One of the first times they used this was a quick strike throw to Eddie Kennison that got into the end zone and made the score 17-0. The next time they used this set, Trent Green was sacked because the Eagles played the alignment and jumped the quick routes.

The next time they went to this empty backfield set, Sheldon Brown disguised his coverage and stepped into the quick throw and returned it 40 yards for a score. Now, it was 17-6, as the Eagles missed the PAT.

Dante Hall pushed the momentum back to the Chiefs with a kickoff return for a touchdown, but then Larry Johnson got crushed on the next possession and coughed up the football. Philly recovered and five plays later, Donovan McNabb hit Terrell Owens for a touchdown.

The game was over at that point. For the rest of the second quarter and then the entire second half, the Eagles controlled the game. They did it by controlling the line of scrimmage. The Philly defensive line dominated the Chiefs offensive line, simply dominated them. There were no rushing yards between the tackles all day, and anything the Chiefs were able to get, largely with Priest Holmes (18 carries for 84 yards) was on the perimeter, and that was only in the first half. The Chiefs ran the ball seven times for 40 yards in the second half.

Where the Eagles dominated was in never allowing the Chiefs to get into any rhythm with their passing game. Green threw all his passes on one, three and sometimes five-step drops. He never dropped back and surveyed the field like he usually does, because there wasn’t time. Sometimes there wasn’t even time on the three-step drops. While he wasn’t hit as often as he was in Denver on Monday night, Green had less time to throw than that game.

For awhile the Chiefs were winning on special teams, with Hall’s TD return, a blocked field goal by Eric Hicks and a fumble recovery on kickoff return. But eventually the Eagles got that part of their game straightened out and they gave up nothing in the kicking game from then on.

Here’s the simple equation: the Eagles are the better team. In this case, the much better team. The Chiefs are not of their caliber. Dick Vermeil and his team could have walked away from this game with the same score and felt better about everything had it not played out the way it did.

But how can you take anything positive out of gaining a 17-point lead, and then seeing an opponent roar back with 31 unanswered points and dominating the game?

No, there’s no way to paint this picture in pretty colors. The Eagles are what the Chiefs hope, dream and are working to be. We saw Sunday that there’s still a long way to go before they can consider themselves contenders.

The Eagles are contenders. The Chiefs are pretenders.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DING DING ...... Wake Up call for the KC players and coaches.

Bowser
10-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Gretz isn't a real fan. Rufus says so.

keg in kc
10-03-2005, 10:53 AM
He said the same thing during the broadcast. Bob Moore's head must have exploded or something.

Phobia
10-03-2005, 10:55 AM
How is it Gretz is just now coming around to our way of thinking? He's been drinking the koolaid for the past couple years and now this....

dirk digler
10-03-2005, 10:57 AM
How is it Gretz is just now coming around to our way of thinking? He's been drinking the koolaid for the past couple years and now this....

That's what happens when he spends all of his time here.

chiefqueen
10-03-2005, 11:48 AM
I think Carl's seeing the writing on the wall. This is a 5-11 team he's put together that will have to be torn apart & built from scratch after the season. This is a 4-5 year project and at age 64 (next year) I don't think CP will want to oversee it.

I think Gretz realizes this and realizes his writing must become more objective because he will be job hunting in 3-4 months.

gblowfish
10-03-2005, 11:52 AM
Gretz was expecting free Cheesesteaks. When they didn't materialize in the press room after the game, he turned his pen into a weapon.

Don't mess with Gretz and Cheesesteaks. Big mistake.

Shag
10-03-2005, 11:55 AM
The Chiefs ran the ball seven times for 40 yards in the second half.

The #1 reason we lost the game. The Chiefs dominated the ground game in the first quarter, then inexplicably, they abandoned it. When you're up 17-0, and the running game is working, you ride it the rest of the way...

Dunit35
10-03-2005, 12:00 PM
The #1 reason we lost the game. The Chiefs dominated the ground game in the first quarter, then inexplicably, they abandoned it. When you're up 17-0, and the running game is working, you ride it the rest of the way...

I didnt know we only ran the ball 7 times for 40 yards...WTF... why...?..I would be concerned about giving the rock to LJ..cant hold on to the ball...

htismaqe
10-03-2005, 12:02 PM
I think Carl's seeing the writing on the wall. This is a 5-11 team he's put together that will have to be torn apart & built from scratch after the season. This is a 4-5 year project and at age 64 (next year) I don't think CP will want to oversee it.

I think Gretz realizes this and realizes his writing must become more objective because he will be job hunting in 3-4 months.

I think a good disciplinarian coach could still salvage something from this roster...look at it. Larry Johnson and DJ alone are something to build around.

There's some talent on this team that just needs to be used properly.

jidar
10-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Might have had something to do with all of those 3 and outs.

BigRedChief
10-03-2005, 12:27 PM

Maybe he really does have some inside info that King Carl is leaving with DV at years end and is positioning himself for a job with the new GM?

htismaqe
10-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Maybe he really does have some inside info that King Carl is leaving with DV at years end and is positioning himself for a job with the new GM?

That's our hope right there.

Dunit35
10-03-2005, 12:42 PM

the way this is going so far...just about everyone should be looking for a new job..

cowboys still suck
10-03-2005, 12:42 PM
i still think the chiefs should win the afc west. broncos are inconsistant no matter what their fans tell you. the raiders are a product of media hype, and the chargers looked great the past 2 games, but they looked like garbage the first 2 games. their secondary is still a question mark... as is their pass rush.

RedandGold
10-03-2005, 12:46 PM
I didnt know we only ran the ball 7 times for 40 yards...WTF... why...?..I would be concerned about giving the rock to LJ..cant hold on to the ball...

This is one thing that drives me nuts with Saunders. Instead of sticking with something that works until the opposing defense proves they can stop it, he changes his gameplan just in case they made the adjustment.

Instead of trying to be "cute" with his playcalling, he needs to feed his playmakers (Holmes, Gonzalez, Kennison) the ball.

Simplex3
10-03-2005, 12:49 PM
i still think the chiefs should win the afc west. broncos are inconsistant no matter what their fans tell you. the raiders are a product of media hype, and the chargers looked great the past 2 games, but they looked like garbage the first 2 games. their secondary is still a question mark... as is their pass rush.
Brees is solid, McCardell is on fire, LT is LT, Gates is everything Tony G used to be for us. Their D is playing well. They barely lost to the Broncos in Dungver and used that to motivate themselves and stomp the piss out of NY and NE. We got two wins and used that motivation to get our asses handed to us twice.

I'd much rather be a Charger's fan right now. They're looking up the hill. We're looking down it and I don't think we have the leadership to turn it around.

cowboys still suck
10-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Brees is solid, McCardell is on fire, LT is LT, Gates is everything Tony G used to be for us. Their D is playing well. They barely lost to the Broncos in Dungver and used that to motivate themselves and stomp the piss out of NY and NE. We got two wins and used that motivation to get our asses handed to us twice.

I'd much rather be a Charger's fan right now. They're looking up the hill. We're looking down it and I don't think we have the leadership to turn it around.

agreed, the chargers are playing well now. but their secondary is still a question mark in a league which the passing offense has the advantage with the new rules. the fact is they got the pats at the right time. kevin faulk is out, he is vital in the screen game. matt light is done for the year, harrison is gone, their secondary is banged up, their mlb'ers consist of a chief cast off, and a june 1st cap causalty who isnt the player he was 4-5 years ago.

im not saying the chiefs are going to go 12-0 to finish the season. but with roaf comming back, this should free up gonzalez from being asked to block as much with roaf and roid head comming back. i think the chiefs can still win the afc west.

38yrsfan
10-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Almost 4 decades of watching the Chiefs(Texans) and it still is SOS. Maybe a different salary structure system would work for these "professionals" - you win you get paid full shares. The cameras showed many upset and despondent Chiefs players on the sidelines - they should have been angry, fired-up and ready to get in and win. But, like Trent Green on Monday night in Denver who still found humor in that pathetic showing of ineptitude - as the camera panned on him, there is always time to smile and think about calling your broker.

SLAG
01-25-2006, 05:59 PM
So were the Eagles Really a Contender?

At the Time We played them I think they were but damn..

Im suprised they left any bad luck for anyone else

KCChiefsMan
01-25-2006, 06:38 PM
the only sad thing about that is if we could held on to that lead, we would have made the playoffs and not the Steelers and who the hell knows...........

RealSNR
01-25-2006, 07:17 PM
This was a pointless bump. Who the hell cares?

I'm neg repping.