PDA

View Full Version : NFT...Anyone have a vacuum sealer for food?

Herzig
10-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Do you like it? Pros/cons? What kind? I thought it would be good to have one...for leftovers outta the smoker, etc...

Skip Towne
10-03-2005, 05:30 PM
No, Harriet homemaker, I don't spend that much time in the kitchen.

Herzig
10-03-2005, 05:32 PM
No, Harriet homemaker, I don't spend that much time in the kitchen.
ROFL nlm ...me neither...I said "smoker" you smoker! ROFL

Extra Point
10-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Stick your ribs in the Chiefs' offensive play book. They'll get sucked dry....

chagrin
10-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Talk to Saulbadguy, he started a thread about his, he had alot of good things to say about them

Fire Me Boy!
10-03-2005, 05:36 PM
My wife and I had a "FoodSaver" vacuum sealer. We loved it. It's one of the original (or major) brands... spent about $100. Then it broke, out of warranty. So we bought a MUCH cheaper Black and Decker sealer -- works just as well. The strange thing we found out: it's not so much the vacuum sealer, but the bags you use. We spend more to buy the bags (rolls of plastic, rather) by Food Saver. The B&D bags/plastic are really crappy, whereas the FoodSaver bags/plastic are tough and high-quality.

Anyway, back to the original question. We love the sealer, and we use it for exactly the type of stuff you're talking about.

Herzig
10-03-2005, 05:39 PM
My wife and I had a "FoodSaver" vacuum sealer. We loved it. It's one of the original (or major) brands... spent about $100. Then it broke, out of warranty. So we bought a MUCH cheaper Black and Decker sealer -- works just as well. The strange thing we found out: it's not so much the vacuum sealer, but the bags you use. We spend more to buy the bags (rolls of plastic, rather) by Food Saver. The B&D bags/plastic are really crappy, whereas the FoodSaver bags/plastic are tough and high-quality.

Anyway, back to the original question. We love the sealer, and we use it for exactly the type of stuff you're talking about.

Ahh...finally some serious replies. Have you tried the Walmart Great value sealer rolls? Do they suck too? I noticed that they are about half the price of the food saver bags. You can get a high end food saver refurb on ebay for about $30.

tommykat
10-03-2005, 05:41 PM
They are excellent!!! Buy one.......I don't have one but my friend does and I can tell you the food stays super fresh :D

Fire Me Boy!
10-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Ahh...finally some serious replies. Have you tried the Walmart Great value sealer rolls? Do they suck too? I noticed that they are about half the price of the food saver bags. You can get a high end food saver refurb on ebay for about $30.
I don't think I've used that particular brand, but my overall experience with ANY of the cheaper bags has been bad. The only ones I've had consistent results from has been the FoodSaver bags. Like I said, buy the cheaper vacuum, and spend more on the bags. That's what the little woman and I have done with great results (I'd actually go as far as to say our "off brand" vacuum works better than the FoodSaver vacuum).

chagrin
10-03-2005, 05:48 PM

I was serious, he started a thread about it, I wasn't trying to mess with ya

Herzig
10-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the help and advice guys...it's like a mini "Consumer Reports" around here!

Herzig
10-03-2005, 05:50 PM
I was serious, he started a thread about it, I wasn't trying to mess with ya

I knew that....I did say "replies"!! I found it too...the As Seen on TV thread...I remember that one...probably what gave me the idea when I had a lot of extra meat from the smoker. Thanks.

Fire Me Boy!
10-03-2005, 05:51 PM
I knew that. I found it too...the As Seen on TV thread...I remember that one...probably what gave me the idea when I had a lot of extra meat from the smoker. Thanks.
Save the money and don't buy one. PM me with your PayPal address, I'll send you $20, pack it up in some dry ice and a styrofoam and send it to me. There, it's all taken care of.

:D

Simplex3
10-03-2005, 05:52 PM
What would happen if I put AS in a vacuum seal bag? Would he stay fresh for months?

HemiEd
10-03-2005, 05:55 PM
We have had a "food saver 550" for several years. Did not know what it was until I just checked it. Wife breaks down meat packages from store into usable portions to freeze. It is pretty handy I guess, I do not know how to use it.

Herzig
10-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Save the money and don't buy one. PM me with your PayPal address, I'll send you $20, pack it up in some dry ice and a styrofoam and send it to me. There, it's all taken care of.

:D

Okay. Can I do that for a living?

Fire Me Boy!
10-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Okay. Can I do that for a living?
Completely depends on how much leftovers you have... I typically cook, for instance, a large brisket and it's just me and my wife. Consequently, we usually have several POUNDS leftover. And that's the ONLY way I smoke -- it's not worth the effort for just a little.