PDA

View Full Version : Gunther

tomahawk
10-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Was Gunther success at Kc a by product of Cowher and Marty"?

Deberg_1990
10-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Not really Cowher at all. Cowher was long gone by 1995, Gunther's first year here. Marty, definately. Marty is alot of things, but the man knows Defense, thats never been in doubt. I think the main thing is, Gunther had alot more to work with his 1st time here in KC. He had big time "Playmakers" DT, Neil Smith, Hasty, dale Carter, Joe Phillips, Dan Saluamua.

RedandGold
10-03-2005, 06:55 PM
It's hard to find a single position on our defense where we didn't have a better player during that period than we do now.

burt
10-03-2005, 07:04 PM
It's hard to find a single position on our defense where we didn't have a better player during that period than we do now.
so sad and so true

tomahawk
10-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Not really Cowher at all. Cowher was long gone by 1995, Gunther's first year here. Marty, definately. Marty is alot of things, but the man knows Defense, thats never been in doubt. I think the main thing is, Gunther had alot more to work with his 1st time here in KC. He had big time "Playmakers" DT, Neil Smith, Hasty, dale Carter, Joe Phillips, Dan Saluamua.

I guess thats what was kind of getting at. I can't remember one player that Gunther actually made better. Granted he already had tools but Marty did build that D ( and I was glad to see Marty go because of his O). But let that D frick up and first thing you seen after the D come off the field was Marty ripping some a$$.

Straight, No Chaser
10-03-2005, 07:08 PM
One word: Players

--->

Deberg_1990
10-03-2005, 07:11 PM
I guess thats what was kind of getting at. I can't remember one player that Gunther actually made better. Granted he already had tools but Marty did build that D ( and I was glad to see Marty go because of his O). But let that D frick up and first thing you seen after the D come off the field was Marty ripping some a$$.

Gunther has always been more about defensive "Attitude" than anything. Hes philosophy is simple. Put pressure on the QB and play man-to man in your face coverage with the WR's. Problem is, he doesnt have the horses to do that here this time. IM not sure if hes ever been a real good X's and O's strategist. I think there is some talent on this defense, but no one has any idea how to use them correctly?? I look around the league and see some solid defensive's that have less talent than our team and i wonder why???

tomahawk
10-03-2005, 07:22 PM
My biggest problem witht his D actually stems from something Vermeil declared when he first got here.
"We won't have no big bellies on this team or lard a$$ or something like that.
Most dominating d-tackles are bowling balls who command the attention of two.... Do they have tons of tackles? .. No but they do take up some attention and let the ends work.

Dunit35
10-03-2005, 07:42 PM
My biggest problem witht his D actually stems from something Vermeil declared when he first got here.
"We won't have no big bellies on this team or lard a$$ or something like that.
Most dominating d-tackles are bowling balls who command the attention of two.... Do they have tons of tackles? .. No but they do take up some attention and let the ends work.

yea we need a big 350 pound DT...and Siavii doesnt count either..