View Full Version : Teicher: Chiefs rethink RB rotation

tk13
10-04-2005, 01:19 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12810421.htm

Chiefs regroup, rethink
Halfback rotation could be changed

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Priest Holmes-Larry Johnson halfback rotation was all the rage when the Chiefs were undefeated, but it lost some of its attractiveness during their current two-game losing streak.

That’s why the Chiefs will take the break afforded by this weekend’s open date to determine whether they want to continue the current course of two series for Holmes and one for Johnson. The Chiefs don’t play until their Oct. 16 game against Washington at Arrowhead Stadium.

“We’ll be discussing that,” offensive coordinator Al Saunders said. “When you’re caught up in the week-to-week preparation, sometimes you do things a little bit differently than you’d do if you’re able to sit back and look at everything in depth. We’re able to do that this week.

“We’ve got four regular-season games against very good defensive teams to evaluate where we are right now and what direction we’re going to go. It could very well be a game-by-game decision.”

The Chiefs are still happy with the results from their running game. Holmes leads the Chiefs with 305 yards, Johnson has 198, and the club is averaging a robust 4.5 yards per carry.

But the rotation is making for awkwardness in play-calling. The Chiefs have struggled offensively after a hot start in two of their four games and are wondering whether the running-back-by-committee has something to do with that.

It’s clearly not a simple decision. The Chiefs like Johnson’s big-play ability, but Holmes is more dependable.

“We all know what Larry can do if you give him a little room, and he almost turned one loose (against Philadelphia),” coach Dick Vermeil said.

It’s unlikely the Chiefs would choose one back and stick with him exclusively. But they may decide to go with the hot runner as a game progresses.

In the first two games, that was Johnson. In the last two, it was Holmes.

“We’ve talked about doing that,” Vermeil said. “But the hot guy is always the guy with the ball in his hand on that particular play. If the other guy sitting on the bench had that same play, he might be the guy. Each guy has a little different attribute.”

Saunders said the Chiefs’ play-calling changes depending on which back is in the game.

“They’re both different kinds of runners,” he said. “There’s a style of play that we play with Priest and a different style with Larry because of the nature of their abilities.

“We spend more time on preparation making sure we’re doing the right things for those guys.”

The Chiefs have broken the rotation in recent games so they can get Holmes on the field in certain situations. Most notable was a play in Sunday’s loss to the Eagles.

The call was a reverse to wide receiver Eddie Kennison. It required the back to take the handoff from quarterback Trent Green and in turn give it to Kennison coming around the other way.

The Chiefs didn’t trust Johnson’s ball-handling skills to not only take it properly from Green but also transfer it to Kennison.

“Priest had more experience at that,” Vermeil said. “There are times in pass protection we’ll do that because Priest is so much more experienced. The Eagles are a very good blitz team.”

The Chiefs have bigger problems in the passing game. Their protection of Green was porous in losses to the Broncos and Eagles.

That should improve against Washington. Left tackle Willie Roaf will return after missing the last three games because of a sore hamstring.

The Chiefs will look for bigger things from their running game, too.

“When we started out with this at the beginning of the year, we were looking at the whole picture,” Saunders said. “We wanted to have Priest healthy for the whole season.

“We’ve accomplished a couple of things. We’ve gotten Larry some snaps and gotten him involved in the game. We’ve gotten Priest back in rhythm after missing half a season with a knee injury. They’re both involved, and we’ve been as productive in the run game as we were last year at this time.”

■ WARFIELD, WELBOURN RETURNING: Cornerback Eric Warfield and offensive lineman John Welbourn will return against Washington after serving their four-game suspensions. The Chiefs will make roster moves as soon as today to accommodate both players.

■ DOWN TIME: Vermeil gave the players the rest of the week off. Practice will resume Monday. Coaches are scheduled to work through Friday.

■ HEALTHY NEWS: Vermeil said the Chiefs suffered no significant injuries against Philadelphia.

Frankie
10-04-2005, 01:51 AM
“We all know what Larry can do if you give him a little room, and he almost turned one loose (against Philadelphia),” coach Dick Vermeil said.

ALMOST?!... He did "turn one loose." That changed the momentum to the Eagles.

el borracho
10-04-2005, 02:10 AM
Hopefully we can do this without broadcasting which play we are running based on personell.

ZootedGranny
10-04-2005, 02:48 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12810421.htm
It’s unlikely the Chiefs would choose one back and stick with him exclusively. But they may decide to go with the hot runner as a game progresses.

What a novel concept. Nothing like taking the ball from Priest for the sake of giving the defense a different look. I like LJ, but his two fumbles the past two weeks have killed the Chiefs.

jspchief
10-04-2005, 06:40 AM
I don't like the idea that our offense is splitting their time practicing two different styles of running plays. Maybe if they could just concentrate on doing things a certain way, they would be a little better at it.

Time to put the LJ experiment to bed. Let the best RB in Chiefs history be our RB, and let the back-up RB be a back-up.

Red Dawg
10-04-2005, 06:43 AM
After those two games they dont' deserve alot of down time.

Extra Point
10-04-2005, 06:56 AM
"I don't like the idea that our offense is splitting their time practicing two different styles of running plays. Maybe if they could just concentrate on doing things a certain way, they would be a little better at it.

Time to put the LJ experiment to bed. Let the best RB in Chiefs history be our RB, and let the back-up RB be a back-up."

"After those two games they dont' deserve alot of down time."

Can't argue against reason. Len Dawson after MNF said we need to get back to the fundamentals.

Would have loved to hear a sports story about the first practice this week: the O-Line pinning down LJ and duct taping his arms around a football, with Johnson running around, kicking and screaming afterward.

That's two strikes, Larry Johnson, two times you've coughed up the ball when we didn't need it. "Two hands on the ball in a crowd," I'd tell our little league football team. Applies to the big boys, too.

chief husker
10-04-2005, 07:17 AM
I like having the two backs. I don't like the way they are using LJ. Saunders should be sending in LJ on specific downs and situations, not for entire series. Priest is the man. He gets the load until he shows he can't handle it. LJ is our future. He can be taught to hang on to the ball. If he learns to block, it would be even better.

Extra Point
10-04-2005, 07:26 AM
He can be taught to hang on to the ball. If he learns to block, it would be even better.

Damn straight! LJ has to improve on those two aspects. I saw a replay of Trent Green getting hurried, thanks to LJ not picking up on anyone. If the QB throws right, pick up the guy on the right-- opens the lane for QB to shuffle, then throw or rush.

Fundamental$.......

BigChiefFan
10-04-2005, 08:40 AM
This is the best news I've heard in a while regarding the Chiefs. I can understand trying to get LJ into the game, but on goal line situations, Priest Holmes should be there at all times. I also believe Holmes should still be getting 85-90% of the carries in a game. This "Larry has to have his carries each game" crap has cost us two games now.

Dance with who "brung ya", Saunders.

Rausch
10-04-2005, 08:46 AM
? DOWN TIME: Vermeil gave the players the rest of the week off. Practice will resume Monday. Coaches are scheduled to work through Friday.

I am abso-****ing-lutely stupified...

morphius
10-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Well at least one thing is clicking in their heads. When you have to running back threats in the backfield, it is best not to advertise to the DC before the game that the first two series you will see Priest, then the next one you will see LJ, etc, etc. For an offense that is designed to try to keep D's guessing, why would you write something like that in stone?

morphius
10-04-2005, 09:00 AM
Yup, typical Vermeil. Especially bad after two bad games, and getting what should be your second CB back on the team who hasn't had a chance to practice with the first team.

BigChiefFan
10-04-2005, 09:02 AM
Well at least one thing is clicking in their heads. When you have to running back threats in the backfield, it is best not to advertise to the DC before the game that the first two series you will see Priest, then the next one you will see LJ, etc, etc. For an offense that is designed to try to keep D's guessing, why would you write something like that in stone?
Exactly. It's moronic to announce it. It's more about the flow of the game and when you have the BEST goal-line HB in the league, you use him. Saunders needs to use his weapons as weapons.

Rick
10-04-2005, 09:16 AM

Well said! As out of position as we have been in 2 games, you wouldn't want the practice. BUT- Dick loves the guys very, very, very, very, very, very, (sigh) very, very, much (cry)

Rausch
10-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Wow.

What's Warfield supposed to do to get game ready?

Play Madden?...

Hammock Parties
10-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Wow.

What's Warfield supposed to do to get game ready?

Play Madden?...

He better take some responsibility this week and do some shit on his own...

Cormac
10-04-2005, 10:12 AM

I am too. Of all the times when practice and a re-introduction of 3 guys (incl. Roaf) was necessitated, the players get to go home and stew over the last 2 horrible performances. I guess they'll be in lifting weights etc. but I would have thought Gunther wanted some heads on sticks this week.

go bo
10-04-2005, 11:42 AM
I am too. Of all the times when practice and a re-introduction of 3 guys (incl. Roaf) was necessitated, the players get to go home and stew over the last 2 horrible performances. I guess they'll be in lifting weights etc. but I would have thought Gunther wanted some heads on sticks this week.hmmmm... ugh!

bo, him think heads on stick good thing...

but maybe better to stickem sticks

up ass of defender fellas...

them play like old squaws...

papoose play better than them...

maybe be better when get

big willie fella back...

him maybe should play corner guy...

him be better than burntree...

er, him be better than little cleon...

chiefs, them need fire up ass...

ai-EE-yah!! running horse spread shit all over...

http://freebmw.net/share/Smilies/NormalSize/388.gif :Peace: :arrow: http://www.deephousepage.com/smilies/40s.gif :D http://freebmw.net/share/Smilies/NormalSize/b_woot.gif http://freebmw.net/share/Smilies/NormalSize/b_woot.gif http://freebmw.net/share/Smilies/NormalSize/b_woot.gif http://freebmw.net/share/Smilies/NormalSize/b_woot.gif http://freebmw.net/share/Smilies/NormalSize/b_woot.gif

jspchief
10-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Where the hell is penchief for all of this?

For someone who was beating the Larry Johnson drum so loudly, he sure has become invisible since LJ has gone to crap.

stevieray
10-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Where the hell is penchief for all of this?

For someone who was beating the Larry Johnson drum so loudly, he sure has become invisible since LJ has gone to crap.

As all the others have.

Al needs to use what made this offense great to begin with. Priest and Tony.

PHOG
10-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Yup, typical Vermeil. Especially bad after two bad games, and getting what should be your second CB back on the team who hasn't had a chance to practice with the first team.

Exactly. Man, I just do NOT understand DV's judgement.Maybe he has a hot batch of wine due this week. he also said in his PC he wanted to go to the race this weekend. :deevee:

HemiEd
10-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Two consecutive weeks with a fumble would sure make me re-think it.

Dunit35
10-04-2005, 02:12 PM
Two consecutive weeks with a fumble would sure make me re-think it.

no doubt...LJ has proven that hes still learning alot with each carry/game situation..which is why Priest needs to be in there alot more for now..When he needs a break...take him out..

Red Dawg
10-04-2005, 03:33 PM
If they had thrown a pass and got some yardage then LJ's run would have gotten them close to FG range but they chose just to sit on it because we had no time outs.

HemiEd
10-04-2005, 03:39 PM
no doubt...LJ has proven that hes still learning alot with each carry/game situation..which is why Priest needs to be in there alot more for now..When he needs a break...take him out..

exactly, LJ seems to me more productive when he is mad anyway.

Frankie
10-04-2005, 08:37 PM
I don't like the idea that our offense is splitting their time practicing two different styles of running plays. Maybe if they could just concentrate on doing things a certain way, they would be a little better at it.
Exactly why I was advocating a trade of LJ and keeping the more Priest-like Blalock last year.

Frankie
10-04-2005, 08:39 PM
That's two strikes, Larry Johnson, two times you've coughed up the ball when we didn't need it. "Two hands on the ball in a crowd," I'd tell our little league football team. Applies to the big boys, too.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't LJ's tendency to fumble one of the knocks against him coming out of college?

Skip Towne
10-04-2005, 08:42 PM
LJ hasn't done any worse than the rest of the team. I haven't changed my mind.

ChiefGator
10-04-2005, 09:03 PM
I agree the hard and set rule of 2 series for Priest, then 1 for LJ was dumb. And I think Priest is the man... However, I don't think LJ's problem was his running, or even Roaf. It was Saunders. Too many times I saw him run LJ on a sweep. The man should be pounding behind Will, Casey, and Brian. THAT is his strength.