View Full Version : Star: Arena Football now coming to KC due to Katrina

tk13
10-04-2005, 01:37 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12810372.htm

Arena football tossed to KC
Players were with New Orleans team

By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

Kansas City will have an Arena Football League franchise this winter after all.

The Arena League has granted the city an expansion franchise beginning with the 2006 season. The club will be stocked with 15 players who are under contract with the New Orleans VooDoo, which will not operate next season because of the effects of Hurricane Katrina, including damage to the New Orleans Arena.

The franchise, owned by K.C. Arena Sports and Entertainment, signed a two-year lease to play at Kemper Arena when the season begins in late January. Earlier this year, Tyler Prochnow of K.C. Arena Sports and Entertainment, had been unable to secure an expansion franchise because of difficulties in working out a lease for the Sprint Center, which is scheduled to open in the fall of 2007.

But the availability of Kemper Arena, and the extenuating circumstances of the VooDoo, hastened Kansas City’s admission into the 18-team Arena League.

The VooDoo is owned by New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson, who will retain the rights to the franchise, nickname and colors. A news conference is expected this week, when the organization will introduce staff members and its “name the team” contest. The team has established a Web site at www. arenafootballkc.com, where deposits for tickets can be made.

“This is such a great opportunity for the people of Kansas City,” said Prochnow, whose ownership group, which includes former Chiefs star and New Orleans native Neil Smith, paid a $16 million expansion fee. “We feel great we were able to step in and help not only those players but give the people of New Orleans their team to root for.

“It will be the Kansas City team, but we will certainly reach out to them and make sure it’s still their team, too, and welcome their support as they follow us throughout the year.”

Former Chiefs safety Kevin Porter, who had served as defensive coordinator for the VooDoo, is expected to be the head coach. Mike Neu, the VooDoo head coach who led the club to a 9-7 record last year, will remain with the New Orleans franchise.

The club’s best-known player is quarterback Andy Kelly, the Arena League’s all-time leading passer who threw a league-high 96 touchdown passes last season. The game’s smaller field makes for a high-scoring game.

“This is not the way we planned it, but it is the result of a lot of good people who are excited about arena football being in Kansas City,” Arena League commissioner David Baker said Monday.

“Originally, we were going to have Tyler Prochnow’s group approved for 2007, but because of these unusual circumstances involving Hurricane Katrina, they were willing to step up early. The city helped with Kemper Arena and the lease.

“This is a bittersweet experience for Tom Benson and the New Orleans Saints, who are going through a lot. In some respects, I’m sure for Tom this was like putting children up for adoption. You need to know he was very positive on Kansas City as a market and having his players go there.”

Baker said a lease at the Sprint Center was not a requirement for Kansas City at this time. The league was impressed by the groundwork Prochnow’s group had done in setting up a Web site and attracting sponsorships and season ticket requests before it had a franchise.

“They could certainly launch it at Kemper,” Baker said, “and if all goes well with the (new) arena, they can have a second launch.”

Larry Hovick, general manager for Global Spectrum, which manages Kemper Arena, was delighted with his new tenant.

“This is a football town and a major-league town, and this is an AFL major-league tenant,” Hovick said.

Michael Roth, vice president if communications for Anschutz Entertainment Group, which will manage the Sprint Center, said, “We are hopeful of negotiating and entering into an agreement for the team to play in the Sprint Center.”

The Arena League, founded in 1987, averaged a record 12,872 spectators per game last season, the fourth consecutive year it posted an increase in attendance. It has a national television contract with NBC. Prochnow said the average ticket price would be about $26, with most seats priced at less than $40.

The league added an expansion franchise in Utah for next season and stocked that club through a dispersal draft.

“Kansas City is getting the core of what was a pretty good team,” Baker said.

“This is not your basic expansion team. The guys from Utah could have tried to take advantage of the situation and said there should be a dispersal draft, but they really wanted the best for New Orleans and the best for Kansas City, and they voted for this.”

Each team carries a 24-man roster, with 20 active for each game. The Kansas City team can complete its roster during the free-agency period, which begins today.

“We’re honored that Mr. Benson and the VooDoo organization would entrust us with their team,” Prochnow said.

Hammock Parties
10-04-2005, 01:39 AM
No defense in THIS town, no sir!

Phobia
10-04-2005, 06:16 AM
I'm thinking season tickets may be in order for me. I really enjoy arena football.

BigRedChief
10-04-2005, 06:57 AM
I'm thinking season tickets may be in order for me. I really enjoy arena football.

Whats their website? Cost of tickets? More info please. Google brings back chit.

Phobia
10-04-2005, 07:04 AM
http://arenafootballkc.com/

Skip Towne
10-04-2005, 07:12 AM
I'm not watching it if Denver has a team.

BigRedChief
10-04-2005, 07:14 AM

signed up for the season ticket waiting list. Thanks!

GoTrav
10-04-2005, 07:29 AM

worst site ever. WTF is up with all the news delivered in that hideous pop-up? I submitted some inf0z, definately interested in season tickets.

So for the first two years it will be the NO team on loan to us and then we will get our own franchise?

tyton75
10-04-2005, 07:42 AM
The details are sketchy... are these players going to be Kansas City players? or are they going back to the Voodoo when they are back ?

Abba-Dabba
10-04-2005, 07:44 AM

I think it is boring. I'll never attend or watch another arena game in my life.

Rain Man
10-04-2005, 08:51 AM
I'm disappointed that they can't be named the Kansas City Voodoo.

ArrowheadHawk
10-04-2005, 09:17 AM
sweet something else i can watch with my basketball

shaneo69
10-04-2005, 08:50 PM
How about former Chief Kevin Porter as HC? He was one of my favorite players, pretty much beat out Lloyd Burruss in '90 and '91, then somehow lost his job to Martin Bayless or some other scrub in '92 and got cut. Never could figure out what happened there. Guess Dave Adolph didn't like him.

Good to see he got into coaching. He's probably a better DB coach than Giunta right now.

VonneMarie
10-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Just what we needed, two football teams with no _efense.

listopencil
10-04-2005, 09:00 PM
I'm not watching it if Denver has a team.

Hah! The Colorado Crush won it all last year. Not only do we have a team, we are the defending champs. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, old man.

tk13
10-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Hah! The Colorado Crush won it all last year. Not only do we have a team, we are the defending champs. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, old man.
Elway owns it, you know they circumvented the salary cap.

listopencil
10-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Elway owns it, you know they circumvented the salary cap.

Is there a salary cap in Arena?

chefsos
10-04-2005, 09:25 PM
A news conference is expected this week, when the organization will introduce staff members and its “name the team” contest.

Some of the more imaginative here could take a shot at this.

Kansas City Burnt Ends?

I never claimed to be among the more imaginative.

VonneMarie
10-04-2005, 09:28 PM
A news conference is expected this week, when the organization will introduce staff members and its “name the team” contest.

Some of the more imaginative here could take a shot at this.

Kansas City Burnt Ends?

I never claimed to be among the more imaginative.
Team Name: KC Masterpiece. Colors? Maybe red, white and black?

tk13
10-04-2005, 09:32 PM
KC Insecure Whiners About Sterling Sharpe

VonneMarie
10-04-2005, 09:35 PM
KC Insecure Whiners About Sterling Sharpe
Um, not.

VonneMarie
10-04-2005, 09:36 PM
F*ck no.
Why not? Then they can be sponsered by Lays...

Phobia
10-04-2005, 09:39 PM
I think Buttmunchers would be a really good name for a team. I'd buy merchandise... Promise.

VonneMarie
10-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Yeah, but the Lays are good (no pun intended.)

tk13
10-04-2005, 09:41 PM
I think Buttmunchers would be a really good name for a team. I'd buy merchandise... Promise.
Heck, you could be the mascot.

Skip Towne
10-04-2005, 09:42 PM
I have better things to smoke in my pipe, dickwad. And I'll not get involved in a league where we have to watch the Denver Cheaters every minute. BIOYA

listopencil
10-04-2005, 10:11 PM
I have better things to smoke in my pipe, dickwad. And I'll not get involved in a league where we have to watch the Denver Cheaters every minute. BIOYA

I'm sure you do, assmunch. You might as well watch. You've got nothing else to do this Winter...other than going over all of the miserable failures in your life that have left you so bitter.

Eleazar
10-04-2005, 10:13 PM
I'm sure you do, assmunch. You might as well watch. You've got nothing else to do this Winter...other than going over all of the miserable failures in your life that have left you so bitter.

The planet is such a heartwarming place. ROFL

listopencil
10-04-2005, 10:19 PM
I think it's set at like $100K.

Huh...I didn't know that. I had heard a while back that the NFL was planning to attach themselves to the Arena league with the idea of putting a team in every NFL city. I like it. Helps kill the withdrawals when the season is over.

ChiefsCountry
10-04-2005, 10:21 PM
I voted for Kansas City Wolves. It is a good football name and it ties both of the teams together.

listopencil
10-04-2005, 10:30 PM
"Man, I haven't seen any football in awhile... maybe I'll go catch an arena league game." I realize the Arena Bowl was the day before.

Well, to be honest I didn't even know "we" had won the Arena Bowl until a couple of days had gone by. I saw the score but I didn't realise that it was the championship. I follow it more in the begining of the season butI pay a lot more attention to the NHL.

RealSNR
10-04-2005, 10:33 PM
I'm not going to sign up for season tickets.

Somebody vote for the Kansas City Scanimals for me, please.

BigRedChief
10-04-2005, 10:36 PM
I think it's set at like $100K.

The owner of the new KC Arena team said on 810 said next years cap will be $1.9 million. The most expensive player last year was paid $160,000. The miniimum wage for a roster spot is $28,000.

But all players get free room and board on top of their salary.

Most surprising fact to me:

Almost all of the teams are owned by NFL owners.

Taco John
10-04-2005, 10:40 PM

I've actually talked to some older Denver fans who prefer the Arena experience over the pro, citing value for the dollar. It's a compelling argument. For the cost of parking, tickets, food, etc. at a pro game, you can take the whole family to the Arena game and have money left over for a few souveniers, and maybe a meal.

listopencil
10-04-2005, 10:43 PM
I think AZ Rattlers tickets cost more than AZ Cardinals tickets.

And, well they should.

Didn't the Rattlers win the Arena Bowl a few times? I seem to remember that.

listopencil
10-04-2005, 10:47 PM
OK, I guess I just remember seeing them in it all of the time. I really can't follow it like real football so the memories are shaky.

listopencil
10-04-2005, 10:58 PM
I remember the Sabrecats thing. A freind of my son's is a Sabrecats/Sharks fan. He was going nuts about it He won't pick an NFL team so I have to talk Arena league/NHL smack to him. He ended up giving me a couple of nice coffee cups with the Sabrecats logo on them.

listopencil
10-04-2005, 10:59 PM
"Hey.... you guys just tried to be partners with a second rate league that started in February and look how that turned out. We've been running this successful second rate league for 16 years with the schedule we have. Maybe we should keep it."

Do you remember when NFLE is played? I can't remember. Maybe they conflict. I'm going to go check.

listopencil
10-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Looks like NFLE is April-May-June.

teedubya
10-04-2005, 11:47 PM
Ok...

Kc has and has had...

KC Monarchs
KC Kings
KC Scouts
KC Athletics
KC Royals
KC Chiefs

Most of the team names tie in with Royalty or being the head honchos.

The Kansas City Honchos... heh, er not. Something pertaining to be the top of the foodchain... :hmmm:

teedubya
10-04-2005, 11:48 PM
Hrmmm what about the Kahunas?

The KC Kahunas.

The Big Kahunas... I like it.

joesomebody
10-04-2005, 11:55 PM
I dub thee the Kansas City Sovereign's or Maharajah's or Czar's or Sultan's or Overlord's maybe General's?

Just keeping with the theme, our Pro teams seem to be named after a title for a ruler... Royals, Chiefs, Kings, Monarch's... (Athletic's, Blades, and Wizards being the exceptions)

joesomebody
10-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Ok...

Kc has and has had...

KC Monarchs
KC Kings
KC Scouts
KC Athletics
KC Royals
KC Chiefs

Most of the team names tie in with Royalty or being the head honchos.

The Kansas City Honchos... heh, er not. Something pertaining to be the top of the foodchain... :hmmm:Ok so we had the same idea, you just had it first...

|Zach|
10-05-2005, 04:03 AM
I am excited...I will def seek this out whenever I am at home in the KC area. Grab a few friends, have a few beers, watch some football.

BigRedChief
10-05-2005, 08:43 AM
I'll see on season ticket prices but I've got my name on the list. Man I miss my football in April-June.