PDA

View Full Version : Guys do you think the Chiefs want Freddie Mitchell back?

RedThat
10-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Im curious to know your opinion on this. I may be reading a bit to much into this but I quoted Vermeil saying:

"It would be hard to bring Freddie back, although I respect Freddie's ability".

Kinda hard to read. But, it may be possible they sign him back, and recruit him into the lineup. If they were to do that, I dont see him as our #2 WR though. it'd be nice, but, I dont see it. I'd still take him over Sammie "butterfingers" Parker.

Dr. Johnny Fever
10-05-2005, 09:39 AM
No... just use Boe and Horn more.

Chiefnj
10-05-2005, 09:41 AM
I think they'd take him back if he was 100%, but he's not.

siberian khatru
They say they don't have room. That means that either A) they don't want to carry 6 receivers, or B) they're not ready to give up on Horn or Boe.

Horn's made some tough catches; Boe played his first game last week and caught a 38-yarder.

DV said Mitchell's still only at 80 percent.

So, no, the Chiefs aren't interested in bringing him back anytime soon.

jspchief
I don't think we see Freddie unless there's an injury, or someone really stinks it up.

RedThat
10-05-2005, 09:42 AM
No... just use Boe and Horn more.

Id like for them to try Boe or Horn as our #2 WR. Either or, would be an upgrade over Parker imo.

RedThat
10-05-2005, 09:43 AM
Thats the only problem, he's not 100%. if he was, I think they may bring him in.

wolfpack0735
10-05-2005, 09:43 AM
DV is glad FredEx isnt 100%. this way he isnt getting pressure from fans or the media on why he hasnt resigned him.

Bowser
10-05-2005, 09:44 AM
I was wondering if Vermeil was going to make a run at Andre Davis. I remember a quote a few years back saying the Chiefs had their eye on him, until they decided to blow another second round pick. Or something like that.

RedThat
10-05-2005, 09:45 AM
I was wondering if Vermeil was going to make a run at Andre Davis. I remember a quote a few years back saying the Chiefs had their eye on him, until they decided to blow another second round pick. Or something like that.

He wouldnt be a bad option as well. We need an upgrade over butterfingers.

siberian khatru
10-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Davis isn't 100% either (foot), and the Packers reportedly are eyeing him.

htismaqe
10-05-2005, 09:59 AM
Id like for them to try Boe or Horn as our #2 WR. Either or, would be an upgrade over Parker imo.

ROFL

Which one of their combined 4 receptions would lead you to believe that.

I'm not gonna defend Parker, but suggesting that two borderline practice squad players would be better is pretty funny.

jjjayb
10-05-2005, 10:08 AM
ROFL

I'm not gonna defend Parker, but suggesting that two borderline practice squad players would be better is pretty funny.

I'd take their 4 combined receptions over Parkers 4 drops. :p

TEX
10-05-2005, 10:55 AM
I was always in the Fred Ex camp and got flamed by some here for that stance. I stated that going into the season with only 1 proven WR was NOT a good idea and that I hoped we found a way to keep Mitchell as he was a young, veteran WR who looked good in camp before he was hurt. I was also of the opinion that he just might clear his head and become a big contributer in the offense, in much the same way that Kennison has. In any case, if Mitchell's healthy enough, I hope we get him back during the bye week, cause one thing is certain and that is that Parker is NOT getting it done.

TEX
10-05-2005, 11:01 AM
ROFL

Not funny at all when if Boe is one of those guys. Especially when you consider that Boe, in his limited time in the league, has produced. I'll admit that when talking about Boe, there is the "injury" issue to deal with - but IMO he still represents a better option than Parker does for a # 2 WR. BTW, Parker blocks worse than he catches... :shake:

htismaqe
10-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Not funny at all when if Boe is one of those guys. Especially when you consider that Boe, in his limited time in the league, has produced. I'll admit that when talking about Boe, there is the "injury" issue to deal with - but IMO he still represents a better option than Parker does for a # 2 WR. BTW, Parker blocks worse than he catches... :shake:

Bo is a stop-gap player, at the #3 WR position. His best year he caught 22 balls. Granted he had 8 TD's, but on how many of those TD's was he in a mismatch with a LB or safety? That won't happen on the outside.

I don't get why anybody thinks he can hack it as the #2.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2005, 11:06 AM

Because the Chiefs thought so, last preseason. Then he got hurt.

Bowser
10-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Bo is a stop-gap player, at the #3 WR position. His best year he caught 22 balls. Granted he had 8 TD's, but on how many of those TD's was he in a mismatch with a LB or safety? That won't happen on the outside.

We don't have a "true" #2 wide receiver on the team. Parker is a slot guy, period. He can't block downfield worth a shit, as evidenced in his performance against the Fade. He MIGHT become a decent #2 one day, but as for right now, it seems like he is overwhelmed.

Gochiefs is right, Boe was our #2 going into the season last year until he blew his knee out. I remember the discussion of how that would affect our special teams with him being a starting WR.

Give Boe a shot. In reality, he'll still be fourth option in the offense on most plays, anyway.

TEX
10-05-2005, 11:12 AM

Oh...maybe because of his speed, size, hands, (they seem to be back). Wasn't he all set last year to be the # 2 before the injury? Or was that just fancy talk and wishful thinking?

htismaqe
10-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Because the Chiefs thought so, last preseason. Then he got hurt.

No they didn't.

They thought he MIGHT be able to help in the event that Johnnie Morton couldn't go.

They never once said or indicated that they thought he could be a full-time outside WR.

TEX
10-05-2005, 11:14 AM
No they didn't.

They thought he MIGHT be able to help in the event that Johnnie Morton couldn't go.

They never once said or indicated that they thought he could be a full-time outside WR.

And this year they thought that Sammy might work out at # 2. He won't.

RedThat
10-05-2005, 11:15 AM
We don't have a "true" #2 wide receiver on the team. Parker is a slot guy, period. He can't block downfield worth a shit, as evidenced in his performance against the Fade. He MIGHT become a decent #2 one day, but as for right now, it seems like he is overwhelmed.

Gochiefs is right, Boe was our #2 going into the season last year until he blew his knee out. I remember the discussion of how that would affect our special teams with him being a starting WR.

Give Boe a shot. In reality, he'll still be fourth option in the offense on most plays, anyway.

Exactly. Like Nick Saban says, "just give the guy a chance". Boerighter has been hampered with injuries, we never even at the very least attempted to try him as the #2 WR have we?

Hammock Parties
10-05-2005, 11:15 AM
No they didn't.

Sorry but it looked to me like they were ready to have him replace Morton. Then he got hurt.

Bowser
10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
Sorry but it looked to me like they were ready to have him replace Morton. Then he got hurt.

Yep. That's when Morton "miracuously" recovered from whatever was ailing him.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2005, 11:17 AM
And this year they thought that Sammy might work out at # 2. He won't.

Don't be so quick to judge.

If Parker is still dropping passes in week 13, he's a bust.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2005, 11:17 AM

Exactly.

rageeumr
10-05-2005, 11:18 AM
I hate seeing dropped balls as much as the next guy, but I'm of the belief that neither Horn or Boe would make an adequate #2 guy. I think of both of them at the #3 type receiver. Horn makes some great catches, but usually he has to find a soft spot in a zone to get open.

And I equate the success that Boe has had in the past with the success that Brandon Stokely had last year in Indy. He is not a #1 or #2 caliber receiver IMO, but he had a great year while everyone was paying so much attention to Harrison and Wayne. In short, I worry about Boe and Horn's ability to get open consistently.

htismaqe
10-05-2005, 11:19 AM

Saying

"Johnnie Morton is our starter, but in his absence, Marc Boerigter is really the only chance we have"

is FAR different than saying

"Marc Boergiter is our starter and he's going to start every game for us at split end"

They said the former, not the latter.

htismaqe
10-05-2005, 11:19 AM
I hate seeing dropped balls as much as the next guy, but I'm of the belief that neither Horn or Boe would make an adequate #2 guy. I think of both of them at the #3 type receiver. Horn makes some great catches, but usually he has to find a soft spot in a zone to get open.

And I equate the success that Boe has had in the past with the success that Brandon Stokely had last year in Indy. He is not a #1 or #2 caliber receiver IMO, but he had a great year while everyone was paying so much attention to Harrison and Wayne. In short, I worry about Boe and Horn's ability to get open consistently.

Bingo.

RedThat
10-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Don't be so quick to judge.

If Parker is still dropping passes in week 13, he's a bust.

Im really tempted to label him as a bust already. he's dropped 7, 8 easy passes. Cant remember the exact figure but, he's dropped really easy passes. funny thing is, he has no emotion, he shrugs it off like he doesnt care, and smiles on the sideline like a wuss.
: :mad:

*Get Bo in there. Sammie Parker sucks

htismaqe
10-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Im really tempted to label him as a bust already. he's dropped 7, 8 easy passes. Cant remember the exact figure but, he's dropped really easy passes. funny thing is, he has no emotion, he shrugs it off like he doesnt care, and smiles on the sideline like a wuss.
: :mad:

*Get Bo in there. Sammie Parker sucks

And when you're calling for Bo's replacement, then what?

Hammock Parties
10-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Saying

"Johnnie Morton is our starter, but in his absence, Marc Boerigter is really the only chance we have"

"Marc Boergiter is our starter and he's going to start every game for us at split end"

It'll be interesting to see what happens after the bye. After Parker dropped his only pass of the game, I don't think I even saw him out there.

Bowser
10-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Saying

So if our offense reverts back to what it was in the passing game the last few years, meaning the reads go

Gonzalez
Kennison
Priest
#2 Wide Receiver

who would you rather have at that #2 position, factoring in what Parker has done there so far this year?

RedThat
10-05-2005, 11:27 AM
And when you're calling for Bo's replacement, then what?

Thats too early of a prediction on your part. All Im trying to get at is, lets at least try a simple experiment, and that is Bo as the #2 WR. Sammie Parker isn't the remedy for a #2 WR in this league right now. Lets at least try Bo and see what happens. We have to go with what we got. If Bo doesnt work, then I might ask for Freddie Mitchell? If he doesn't work well......next year? draft a WR? sign one in FA? I dont know....lets just go with bo for now and see what happens.

htismaqe
10-05-2005, 11:29 AM
So if our offense reverts back to what it was in the passing game the last few years, meaning the reads go

Gonzalez
Kennison
Priest
#2 Wide Receiver

who would you rather have at that #2 position, factoring in what Parker has done there so far this year?

I think I'd rather see Freddie Mitchell.

Parker is an unknown.

We've already seen what Bo can do -- he's not a #2 WR, period.

RedandGold
10-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Back to the original topic, I believe that there's some legitimate interest in bringing FredEx back (hence Vermeil checking on his progress).

The statement about it being tough to bring him back is coachspeak much in the line of what he said about Warfield getting his starting job back.

Unless it's a punter/kicker, Vermeil isn't going to dog out one of the players that is currently on the roster. He especially isn't going to say that Chris Horn is just holding Mitchell's spot on the roster until he's healthy enough to come back.

htismaqe
10-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Thats too early of a prediction on your part. All Im trying to get at is, lets at least try a simple experiment, and that is Bo as the #2 WR. Sammie Parker isn't the remedy for a #2 WR in this league right now. Lets at least try Bo and see what happens. We have to go with what we got. If Bo doesnt work, then I might ask for Freddie Mitchell? If he doesn't work well......next year? draft a WR? sign one in FA? I dont know....lets just go with bo for now and see what happens.

It's not too early of a prediction.

I've seen enough of Bo to be fairly certain he's only gonna be effective in the slot.

Bowser
10-05-2005, 11:40 AM
It's not too early of a prediction.

I've seen enough of Bo to be fairly certain he's only gonna be effective in the slot.

I can't really disagree with you, but I guess I have more faith in Boe's ability to be a #2 receiver in this offense. The one thing going for him is he is a damn sight better at downfield blocking than Parker is.

At the VERY least, make Boe the regular #3 guy, and see how it goes from there. I like Horn, but I will most definitely take Boe over Horn as a receiver.