PDA

View Full Version : Fun day on the job....NOT!!

JOhn
10-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Well it was an fun & interesting day at work today, not! As some of you know I took a job working on the oil rigs recently, and today was my first day working in ice & snow. :cuss:

Well after whining that It was to slick & windy to be up in the derrick, I was informed by my operator that I had no choice as we had to finish pilling pipe for an acid job they needed to do on this particular well tomorrow.

Anyway, I rigged up in all my safety harnesses and proceeded to climb up 70 feet to the derrick platform. Now bear in mind this is not a platform, but more of a 12 by 12 area, with only a 2ft by 5 ft platform, surrounded by metal rod protruding from the wall that hold the pipe ( 80-90 foot section ) up in the air till we are ready to reinsert them. Anyway, I'm up there unlatching pipe as the hoist brings them up. Now in order to do this you have a rope tied to your work belt to enable you to lean out over the open space to grab the latch's on the pipe to unlatch it & pull it back into the racks. Needless to say it's not a comfortable feeling doing this. You do have an additional safety line that it hook to your body harness to catch you after you fall about 6 feet.

Well needless to say it was very cold, windy and icy standing up there with no protection from the elements. Well after about 3 hours of work, my hands were nearly numb and my feet were constantly slipping. well I'm sure you can figure out what happened next. I lost my footing, went headfirst over the end smacking the derrick hoist and falling about 6 feet into this air before my harness caught me. In doing so, the second safety line jerked me back into the derrick slamming me hard on my back against the metal. Between that and the impact of the strap on the safety harness that went through my crotch I had one hell of an impact and was hurting pretty good.

Well I found out that even though this has happened at least once every 6-8 months to someone, they had no plan to get me back up to the derrick or to the ground. I managed to hang there for about 1 1/2hrs until the supervisor arrived with a cherry picker to pluck me out of the air.

Well according to policy I was taken to the ER, and luckily they found no broken bones, only torn muscle in my groin and a huge contusion on my back. Needless to say, I'm off work already not just for the injury but until OSHA has a chance to investigate. Come to find out my operator violated the rules by sending me up in those conditions and was fired on the spot for breaking the safety rules.

I'm OK, other than being real sore and still scared thinking of what might have happened. My wife is absolutely freaking out about it, and says she forbids me to return to work. But I'm planning on going back as soon as they allow me too, am I nuts?

Rain Man
10-05-2005, 06:28 PM
This probably isn't an appropriate time for me to complain about an Excel spreadsheet that wouldn't add up to 100 percent, is it?

4th and Long
10-05-2005, 06:29 PM
You're beyonds nuts. You're insane. You go through all the trouble of telling us how bad the job and weather conditions are and how you aren't thrilled with that, only to tell us you want to go back ASAP.

Am I missing something here?

JOhn
10-05-2005, 06:29 PM
This probably isn't an appropriate time for me to complain about an Excel spreadsheet that wouldn't add up to 100 percent, is it?
ROFL

No, but a nice well paying desk job does have it's merrits. :hmmm:

CosmicPal
10-05-2005, 06:31 PM
They left you hanging? Why, we oughta get the planet together and kick some oil rigger's azz.

Just kidding...The most important thing is that you're alive and kicking. Sorry, but I had to laugh thinking of your poor soul hanging there for an hour and a half. That must've sucked- particularly in the wind, cold, and ICE!

JOhn
10-05-2005, 06:32 PM
You're beyonds nuts. You're insane. You go through all the trouble of telling us how bad the job and weather conditions are and how you aren't thrilled with that, only to tell us you want to go back ASAP.

Am I missing something here?
Yea, REALLY GOOD money they pay & great benefits.

But yea, maybe I am nuts, but Now that I know that I was told to do something that wasn't supposed to e done, I feel a little better it's won't happen again...I hope. :hmmm:

Phobia
Have I mentioned the month I worked last summer for which the crazy lady decided she needn't pay?

JOhn
They left you hanging? Why, we oughta get the planet together and kick some oil rigger's azz.

Just kidding...The most important thing is that you're alive and kicking. Sorry, but I had to laugh thinking of your poor soul hanging there for an hour and a half. That must've sucked- particularly in the wind, cold, and ICE!
Surprisingly It wasn't to cold at that point, but man my nuts hurt. :eek:

patbra
10-05-2005, 06:33 PM
yuo nede patbra sen yuo kid crismus presnt?

JOhn
10-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Have I mentioned the month I worked last summer for which the crazy lady decided she needn't pay?
Yea I think you have.

Rain Man
10-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Oh, and get back up there, JOhn. I've got a house to heat this winter, and I need supply to go up.

Pants
Yeah, what happened? Did you get your money in the end?

SPchief
wow, that sucks man. Hope you get better soon

Phobia
10-05-2005, 06:36 PM
I've had something swinging around in the wind for much longer than 1.5 hours, though. In fact, I stepped on it.

CosmicPal
10-05-2005, 06:37 PM
I've had something swinging around in the wind for much longer than 1.5 hours, though. In fact, I stepped on it.

Is this a riddle? We like riddles.

Bootlegged
10-05-2005, 06:38 PM
I'm not the litigious type...but damn I would sue.

JOhn
10-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Oh, and get back up there, JOhn. I've got a house to heat this winter, and I need supply to go up.
:rolleyes:

Yea I'm sure it'll lower your bill a bunch.
Freaking Marathon Oil is the oil field we are working in now, and man you would think aa hundred people had died. They had 2 safety supervisors at the ER with me. Guess they are really trying to cover their A$$.

alanm
10-05-2005, 06:40 PM
JOhn, Heal up then go back and kick the shit out of your partner. Then ask for a new partner. The guy you work with sounds like a dick. :shake:

JOhn
10-05-2005, 06:41 PM
I'm not the litigious type...but damn I would sue.
NAw, as long as nothing turns up really wrong, and comp pays the bills I'll be happy.

I do know that they pay reall good for injury. Had a friend lost a finger once working on the rigs, and recieved $200,000 settlement from thiem. :shake:

alanm
10-05-2005, 06:42 PM
:rolleyes:

Yea I'm sure it'll lower your bill a bunch.
Freaking Marathon Oil is the oil field we are working in now, and man you would think aa hundred people had died. They had 2 safety supervisors at the ER with me. Guess they are really trying to cover their A$$.
Oh, and ask for a raise. :D :thumb:

JOhn
10-05-2005, 06:42 PM
JOhn, Heal up then go back and kick the shit out of your partner. Then ask for a new partner. The guy you work with sounds like a dick. :shake:
4 man crew, 1 derrick hand (me, low guy on the totem pole ) floor hand, operator and floater. The operator who was in charge is now gone. I'm hoping I get stuck with my friend who got me the job, as he is next in line for an operator position.

cdcox
10-05-2005, 06:44 PM
NAw, as long as nothing turns up really wrong, and comp pays the bills I'll be happy.

I do know that they pay reall good for injury. Had a friend lost a finger once working on the rigs, and recieved $200,000 settlement from thiem. :shake:

I don't think I'd sell any of my digits for $200K. I guess it is better than "tough luck about your finger."

Phobia
10-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Walk it off JOhn. You could have this sitting on your desk: http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/1602/broncos6oo.th.jpg (http://img47.imageshack.us/my.php?image=broncos6oo.jpg)

Phobia
I don't think I'd sell any of my digits for $200K. I guess it is better than "tough luck about your finger."

Just think.... That Hel'n dude PAID near that to get rid of a digit.

Rain Man

I dunno. $200K for a finger is a pretty good living. Would you give up five toes of your choice for a cool million?

JOhn
10-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Walk it off JOhn. You could have this sitting on your desk: http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/1602/broncos6oo.th.jpg (http://img47.imageshack.us/my.php?image=broncos6oo.jpg)
Yea that is definitely worse

cdcox

harsh!

JOhn
Just think.... That Hel'n dude PAID near that to get rid of a digit.
ROFL ROFL

Rep

cdcox
10-05-2005, 06:50 PM
I dunno. $200K for a finger is a pretty good living. Would you give up five toes of your choice for a cool million?

Ok, I'd consider giving up my little toes for $400K. Any additional ones would probably affect my ability to walk.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2005, 06:52 PM
I'd give up three toes and two fingers for a million bucks.

philfree
10-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Well according to policy I was taken to the ER, and luckily they found no broken bones, only torn muscle in my groin and a huge contusion on my back. Needless to say, I'm off work already not just for the injury but until OSHA has a chance to investigate. Come to find out my operator violated the rules by sending me up in those conditions and was fired on the spot for breaking the safety rules.

I'm not the type to think sue but man that's just all wrong. This company will have insurance to cover stuff like this if I were you I'd sue the pants off these guys. I can't imagine that a blatant lack or respect of OSHA rules wouldn't make this as about as much a gimmie as there is. You coulda been killed.........Sue for about $20mil and then settle out of court for $10mill and have a good life.

PhilFree:arrow:

Mr. Kotter
10-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Wow. Glad you are okay.

I don't know about goin' back.... :shake:

Phobia
10-05-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm not the type to think sue, but you should sue for a gajillion dollars.

Jenson71
10-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Dumb rookie.

Pants
10-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Dumb rookie.

ROFL

kczoo
10-05-2005, 07:35 PM
Its that cold there already? You da man....man :thumb:

chiefs1okie
10-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Dumb rookie.
Waiting on Skip to make some n00b comment......can't believe someone beat him to it.
Glad you're ok though....seen some nasty falls from cable guys on the poles and they don't usually come out as good as you did.

Dunit35
10-05-2005, 10:20 PM
I cant believe they left you there for an hour and a half...WTF...I knew a guy who fell and his safety harness broke...he just about broke his hip and couldnt walk for sometime...he did go back though...was making a lot of money...

BigRedChief
10-05-2005, 10:28 PM
I worked off shore in the Gulf of Mexico drilling for oil for about 7 years off and on. Quit because I finally figured out that I couldn't spend the money if I was dead.

Rausch
10-05-2005, 10:30 PM

I'm about 2 months from going BTK2.

Just pass me an address...

Oh, and sent me one carton of smokes a month once I'm inside...

Fat Elvis
10-05-2005, 10:58 PM
You had two safety lines, why are you being such a pussy?

milkman
10-06-2005, 02:17 AM

Uh.....You may or may not be nuts, that's debatable.

However, you almost LOST YOUR NUTS, and there ain't enough money to pay for that loss.

patteeu
10-06-2005, 06:05 AM
I bet your coworkers are laughing their asses off at the new guy.

Skip Towne
10-06-2005, 06:46 AM
You realize, of course, that you were being paid to just hang there. I'd like a deal like that. I can hang with the best of them.

JOhn
10-07-2005, 08:33 PM
I bet your coworkers are laughing their asses off at the new guy.

Seriously though it is kinda funny now that I think about it. But I got a couple of nasty bruises on the insides of both thighs, across my gut and both butt cheeks!! :eek:

Very uncomfortable to sit, stand or do about anything.
Now that I've had a little time to reflect on how close I came to getting hurt very badly, the wife decided for me that I needed to work when I can go back, and look for a safer job in the mean time.

:whip:
Yes I am whipped, but I also don't like the idea of get hurt seriously or losing my life, I really wanna see my kids grow up. If that make me a puss, then so be it.

jspchief
10-07-2005, 08:42 PM
That's one chance I just don't take. I've had more than one fight with a contractor, but I won't put my guys in harm's way.

Unfortunately, if they wantto make money in the winter time, they have to put themselves in harm's way.

BigRedChief
10-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Very uncomfortable to sit, stand or do about anything.
Now that I've had a little time to reflect on how close I came to getting hurt very badly, the wife decided for me that I needed to work when I can go back, and look for a safer job in the mean time.:whip:
Yes I am whipped, but I also don't like the idea of get hurt seriously or losing my life, I really wanna see my kids grow up. If that make me a puss, then so be it.

Same decision I made. I figured the money wasn't good to me when I was dead.

JOhn
10-08-2005, 05:42 AM
Same decision I made. I figured the money wasn't good to me when I was dead.
ROFL

those are the EXACT same words my wife used.