PDA

View Full Version : Is Parker related to Morton somehow.

dswhited
10-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Inspite of his almost weekly highlight catch on third down, I was excited to see Morton shipped off. For every amazing catch he had 3 that bounced offf of his shoulder pads or face mask, creating the third and long in the first place.

2003 play off loss to Indy is the most heart wrenching example.

Parker seems to have the same nack for making the tough catch (TD at Dever) then miss passes that a high school kid would get benched for.

I know he is fast, but is he going to grow out of this?

Hammock Parties
10-06-2005, 07:54 AM
Morton didn't drop many passes at all last year.

Letting him go was a mistake, for now.

carlos3652
10-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Nobody cares about the Cap issue we would have had with Morton... He did not want to re-structure his contract (what is he getting paid in SF??) to stay here because he did not want to be here...

We let him go because he was freaking expensive... I hate to see him go, but him not being here is his fault...

Skip Towne
10-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Nobody cares about the Cap issue we would have had with Morton... He did not want to re-structure his contract (what is he getting paid in SF??) to stay here because he did not want to be here...

We let him go because he was freaking expensive... I hate to see him go, but him not being here is his fault...
That plus he got to go to Than Franthisco. :thailor:

Cormac
10-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Jeez, I don't miss Morton for a second. What has he done since he left anyway? He made some good catches last season, but it was his 3rd in KC. He's on the decline.

If he was here starting, we'd all be pitching fits about not letting our youth play and gain experience. Parker is playing like he's in over his head. I still think he can come out of it, and I'm happy enough letting Boerigter fill in for him in the meantime. To me, Chris Horn is more than capable of playing the roles previously filled by Kevin Lockett or Johnnie Morton....he's got very good hands, and can make the 3rd down conversions. JMO.

Eleazar
10-06-2005, 09:27 AM
No, Morton sucked and he was teh ghey. Parker and Boerigter and Wilson are going to make up for him.

Possibly the biggest homer line ever uttered on the planet. One guy who has some potential but hands like stumps, and a couple of scrubs, add up to an experienced veteran.

patteeu
10-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Morton had trouble in the Indy playoff game, but in general he had good hands. He didn't drop as many passes as Kennison. He was cut because he wouldn't take a pay cut and he wasn't worth the money.

In the last 3 years:

Kennison has dropped 18 balls compared to 237 receptions.

Morton has dropped 10 balls compared to 187 receptions.

And Samie Parker has dropped 3 balls (all this season) compared to 33 receptions (over the past 2 seasons).

Parker has as many drops this year as Morton had all last year (3). Kennison had 8 last year.

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/index.asp

Johnson&Johnson
10-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Been a Chiefs since 1989 when I attended CMSU in Warrensburg. Been working in Los Angeles area since 1992 after graduating. So when you are speaking of the USC product -older Morton, yeah he was a good receiver coming out of SC and was very productive one, BUT never for KC. He sucked. I haven't seen a player do what Morton does, consistently falling or slipping when he catches. His legs are gone!!! I am so glad he left.

Mr. Laz
10-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Parker and Boerigter and Wilson are going to make up for him.
when :shrug:

Mr. Laz
10-06-2005, 10:14 AM
Morton had trouble in the Indy playoff game, but in general he had good hands. He didn't drop as many passes as Kennison. He was cut because he wouldn't take a pay cut and he wasn't worth the money.

In the last 3 years:

And Samie Parker has dropped 3 balls (all this season) compared to 33 receptions (over the past 2 seasons).

Parker has as many drops this year as Morton had all last year (3). Kennison had 8 last year.

nice post

Eleazar
10-06-2005, 10:16 AM
when :shrug:

I was just quoting what everyone told me in the offseason, about how Morton sucked so horribly that we are better off without him.

Goapics1
10-06-2005, 10:34 AM
I thought this thread was about this Parker:

htismaqe

FloridaMan88
10-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Imagine this offense with Derrick Mason and Kennison as the 2 starting WRs and Samie Parker in the slot.

Too bad we didn't release some dead weight (i.e. Jerome Woods) and found a way to sign Mason this offseason.

Cormac
10-06-2005, 12:22 PM

In the last 3 years:

IMO, these stats are too subjective - like tackles. Parker had at least 3 drops in the Broncos game alone. I'd bet he has 5 for the year so far, at least. And I don't think that is being overly harsh on him either.

Johnson&Johnson
10-06-2005, 12:23 PM
I think Boerigter, Parker and Thorpe have potential to be better than what we've seen of them. Any thoughts about getting a great WR coach? Look at the Rams WR, not matter who and what they plugged in the WR system, they are turn out great. Henry Ellard is hell of a coach as far as receivers are concern.

patteeu
10-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Imagine this offense with Derrick Mason and Kennison as the 2 starting WRs and Samie Parker in the slot.

Too bad we didn't release some dead weight (i.e. Jerome Woods) and found a way to sign Mason this offseason.

By all accounts, it would have cost the Chiefs cap room to release Woods. Mason also signed fairly early in the offseason and most around here seemed to agree with the Chiefs that they needed to focus their offseason attention first on defense. Having said that, Derrick Mason might have been a nice addition.

Cormac
10-06-2005, 12:26 PM
I was just quoting what everyone told me in the offseason, about how Morton sucked so horribly that we are better off without him.

I still feel that way :harumph:

Morton sucked. He had 8 TDs in 42 starts for us. And he currently has 9 catches for 99 yards with 0 TDs after 4 games with on the worst team in the league, and he plays behind Arnaz Battle and Brandon Lloyd. Those young guys aren't bad, but it was time for us to move on. Of that, I have no doubt.

patteeu
10-06-2005, 12:26 PM
IMO, these stats are too subjective - like tackles. Parker had at least 3 drops in the Broncos game alone. I'd bet he has 5 for the year so far, at least. And I don't think that is being overly harsh on him either.

I agree with you about "drops" statistics being subjective, but that doesn't change the fact that Morton didn't have the butterfingers that many around here like to pin on him. And I'm not defending Morton, because I think it's pretty clear the Chiefs weren't getting their money's worth out of him, but it's not because he dropped too many passes.

Johnson&Johnson
10-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Mason is OK. Plus if we had gotten him, that would make another WR passed him prime. If we're suggesting WRs from this year's FA crop, we should have gone after some that could really stretch the field ie. someone like Plaxico Buress.

Cormac
10-06-2005, 12:36 PM
I agree with you about "drops" statistics being subjective, but that doesn't change the fact that Morton didn't have the butterfingers that many around here like to pin on him. And I'm not defending Morton, because I think it's pretty clear the Chiefs weren't getting their money's worth out of him, but it's not because he dropped too many passes.

Again, I respectfully disagree. Morton dropped key passes. That may not seem fair, but big-time players make big plays. He didn't. His drops were egregious errors in crucial situations, IMO. I think that's why he gets so much heat for having bad hands. Not the overall number of drops, but the consequences of them. They were the kind of drops that stick out in the memory. The other big problem with him was he would have dropped more passes if he'd gotten himself close enough to even sniff catching them!! He chickened out on crossing routes, or frequently couldn't get open. Compared to Morton's track-record as a Chief, Samie Parker shows hall-of-fame potential. At least he is fast and gets open. I think he'll pull himself out of his slump (but he'd better do it fast). Morton can pi$$ off.

....nothing personal.....:D

patteeu
10-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Again, I respectfully disagree. Morton dropped key passes. That may not seem fair, but big-time players make big plays. He didn't. His drops were egregious errors in crucial situations, IMO. I think that's why he gets so much heat for having bad hands. Not the overall number of drops, but the consequences of them. They were the kind of drops that stick out in the memory. The other big problem with him was he would have dropped more passes if he'd gotten himself close enough to catch them! He chickened out on crossing routes, or frequently couldn't get open. Compared to Morton's track-record as a Chief, Samie Parker shows hall-of-fame potential. At least he is fast and gets open. I think he'll pull himself out of his slump (but he'd better do it fast). Morton can pi$$ off.

....nothing personal.....:D

His key pass drops were primarily in one very big game. It's fine if that's enough to make you or anyone else run the guy out of town, but he gets a bum rap for having bad hands. I agree with you that he didn't seem to get open enough though. He also seemed to fall down more than the average WR. I was fine with the Chief's decision to go in a different direction. I hope Parker does pull himself out of this slump, but when it comes to having the dropsies, he's already worse than Morton. And when it comes to getting open, he's already better than Morton so there's some potential there.

Nothing personal taken and none intended in return.

Johnson&Johnson
10-06-2005, 12:56 PM
FYI

Johnnie Morton has been in as many Blindates show in Los Angeles as dropping balls.

Until Parker do something hollywood like that, its PARKER over Morton anytime!

Hammock Parties
10-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Can we please stop talking about Johnnie Morton?

He doesn't play for this team anymore.

TEX
10-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Morton never dropped as many passes in as short of time as Parker has. :shake: On the bright side, Parker can get open.

Thig Lyfe
10-06-2005, 02:43 PM
I still think Parker is going to develop into a very good receiver. He has the speed, all he needs now are the hands.

Bowser
10-06-2005, 03:25 PM
I still think Parker is going to develop into a very good receiver. He has the speed, all he needs now are the hands.

Maybe he can make a deal with the Robot Devil from Futurama. Wouldn't hurt at this point.

wolfpack0735
10-06-2005, 03:29 PM
morton $ucked big time when it came to catching passes when they were needed the most. but atleast he didnt have that $hit eat`n grin on his face when he dropped them.

Johnson&Johnson
10-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Parker can run block as evident on week 1.

Parker gets respect from opposing DBs because of his speed. Therefore, he gets off the line free and can GET OPEN.

It's our offensive scheme, if they make Parker the primary or secondary option, we'll see him show more of what he can do.

Dunit35
10-06-2005, 03:56 PM
morton $ucked big time when it came to catching passes when they were needed the most. but atleast he didnt have that $hit eat`n grin on his face when he dropped them.

no doubt...its like Pedro Sorano in Major League 2 when he would strike out all he could do was just smile and say oh boy that was a fast pitch...he got me on that one..

Johnson&Johnson
10-06-2005, 04:10 PM
no doubt...its like Pedro Sorano in Major League 2 when he would strike out all he could do was just smile and say oh boy that was a fast pitch...he got me on that one..
Smiling or a grin doesn't really tell you much about a player's poise and composure during a tight game.

A guy named Joe who wore No.19 for us was famous for staying cool and cracking jokes under intense pressure. At this game level, its a lot more mental then just talent.