PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: 10 NFL Truths; Gregg Williams?

chefsos
10-06-2005, 12:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/051006&num=0

By Jason Whitlock
Special to Page 2

You know, this week I expected my e-mail in-box to be overflowing with apologies from humbled Cincinnati Bengals fans. I thought for sure I'd get hundreds of e-mails reading something like this:

Dear Jason:

Boy, you're right. The Bengals might not be as good as I previously thought. If not for a bogus fumble ruling against David Carr, it's likely the lowly Houston Texans would've rallied to beat us in Cincy. Jason, I'll never doubt your expertise again. You are indeed the greatest football mind in all of sports journalism.

Instead, my in-box was filled with celebratory Bengals fans chanting "Who Dey?" after the Bengals got lucky and stole a 16-10 victory over the Texans. Bengals fans are harassing my brother at work. He made the mistake of marrying into a Bengals family and settling in Cincinnati.

Hey, look, leave my brother alone. He's just like everybody else in Cincinnati. He doesn't know a damn thing about professional football. When God was passing out football intellect, he was standing in the long line of future Cincinnatians waiting for season passes to Kings Island.

When it comes to the NFL, I'm the only Whitlock with an opinion that matters. Here are the 10 NFL truths from Week 4:

10. In terms of poise, toughness and creativity in the pocket, Donovan McNabb is in the same class as Tom Brady.

My respect for McNabb, already high, elevated in Week 4 after watching him rally the Eagles from a 24-6 deficit against the Chiefs. McNabb, playing with a hernia, sidestepped pressure all afternoon, kept his eyes on his receivers and made plays downfield.

McNabb is the league's MVP in the first quarter of the season, followed by Indy pass-rusher Dwight Freeney and San Diego running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

9. The 0-4 Green Bay Packers will win the NFC North.

OK, the division might be the worst in the history of the league, but I envision the Packers going 8-4 or 9-3 the rest of the season. The Packers are not as bad as their winless record.

Had the Packers huddled and taken their time before their final fourth-down play against the Carolina Panthers, Brett Favre and the Packers would've finished off their rally and upset the Panthers on Monday night.

The Packers will win their next three -- vs. Saints, at Vikings, at Bengals -- and finish the season on a five-game winning streak -- at Bears, vs. Lions, at Ravens, vs. Bears and vs. Seahawks. In between those strings of victories, they'll grab a win on "MNF" against the Vikings.

Will the Packers still fire Mike Sherman after he leads them to a division crown? Probably.

8. Dick Vermeil and Mike Martz are far more concerned with fielding great offensive football teams than with fielding championship teams.

The Chiefs and Rams have enough defensive talent to be competitive. The problem is neither Vermeil nor Martz sets a tone with his ballclub that defense is as important as offense.

Vermeil came to Kansas City determined to prove he was the mastermind of St. Louis' Super Bowl offense -- not Martz. The Chiefs have set all sorts of offensive records while winning very little. Meanwhile, Martz probably doesn't know the names of his defensive players.

7. Unlike most NFL gurus, I'm willing to admit a mistake.

There was a typographical error in an early edition of this column. Editors of this column mistakenly printed that Kansas City's defense was closer to being fixed than Indy's defense when I meant just the opposite.

NFL schedule-makers are in a neck-and-neck battle with Freeney for Indy's defensive player of the year. Baltimore, Jacksonville, Cleveland and Tennessee -- the Colts' first four opponents -- aren't exactly offensive juggernauts.

A glance at Indy's future schedule reveals only three offensive challenges all year -- the Rams, the Patriots and the Chargers.

6. The alleged "experts" tabbing the NFC East as the best division in football are wrong.

It's actually the third-best division, behind the NFC South and the AFC West. The Redskins and the Cowboys are frauds, and it's too early to jump on the Giants' bandwagon.

Meanwhile, the NFC South is home to three Super Bowl contenders -- the Buccaneers, the Falcons and the Panthers. And the Saints have enough talent to beat anybody on any given Sunday.

The AFC West probably lacks a true Super Bowl threat as long as Marty Schottenheimer is coaching the Chargers, but you have to respect what the Broncos and Chargers have done the last two weeks. The Chiefs are going to improve as the season wears on. They'll add three players after the bye week who will improve their club -- suspended corner Eric Warfield, and offensive linemen John Welbourn and future Hall of Famer Willie Roaf.

And as long as Randy Moss lines up for the Randy Moss and the Raiderz, no one wants to see Oakland on the schedule. Just ask the Cowboys.

5. Matt Millen's contract extension in Detroit might be the most shameful heist since Paulie Walnuts -- to get back in Tony Soprano's good graces -- strangled one of his mother's best friends for her life savings.

How do you get a five-year extension after leading the Lions to 6-10, 5-11 and 3-13 seasons?

Millen's next score will be throwing head coach Steve Mariucci under a bus for this season's failures. Remember how Tony Soprano took care of "Feech" La Manna, sending him back to prison on a parole violation rather than whacking him? Same thing here. Mariucci knows Millen is out to get him, but "Mooch" has no idea "Big Mill" is killing him with Joey Harrington and underachieving receivers.

4. Washington defensive coordinator Gregg Williams deserves another shot at being a head coach.

Williams is responsible for the Redskins' undefeated start. It sure as hell has nothing to do with the 'Skins' offense. Williams would make perfect sense in Kansas City as a replacement for Vermeil, who is likely in his final year.

Williams is a native of Excelsior Springs, Mo.

3. If the Dolphins remain warm and somehow win an injury-decimated AFC East, Nick Saban will receive a lot of praise, deservedly so. I, however, will chastise Saban for entering the season with the worst QB situation in the league.

Seriously, with the Jets and Patriots ravaged by injuries, the Dolphins could be a legitimate playoff threat with a mediocre quarterback. But there's just no way the Dolphins can win a playoff game with the three-headed QB monster of Gus Frerotte, Sage Rosenfels and A.J. Feeley.

Frerotte is completing 51 percent of his passes. That's totally unacceptable in the NFL. Rosenfels is the worst backup in the league.

If the Dolphins had Philly third-stringer Mike McMahon, they could pull off a playoff upset. I expect McMahon to save the day in Philly if the Eagles ever have to rest McNabb.

2. Let me be the first to apologize to Penn State's Joe Paterno. I thought he was old and washed up, too.

Well, he is old. He's just not washed up. I expect the Nittany Lions to knock off Ohio State this weekend.

1. Jaguars 24, Bengals 21.

Jason Whitlock is a regular columnist for The Kansas City Star. His newspaper is celebrating his 10 years as a columnist with the publishing of Jason's first book, "Love Him, Hate Him: 10 Years of Sports, Passion and Kansas City." It's a collection of Jason's most memorable, thought-provoking and funny columns over the past decade. You can purchase the book at TheKansasCityStore.com. Jason can be reached by e-mail at ballstate68@aol.com.

Hammock Parties
10-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Gotta love Whitlock!

shaneo69
10-06-2005, 12:12 PM
I think we should all support Big Sexy by going out and buying his book. Hopefully he'll be able to recoup the money he lost by walking out on his radio gig.

:rolleyes:

FloridaMan88
10-06-2005, 12:13 PM
If the Chiefs would have hired Gregg Williams instead of Gunther to replace Greg Robinson would this defense be any better today?

Looking at what Williams has done with that defense in Washington (and the Redskins defense, especially this year talent wise isn't that much more talented than the Chiefs D) makes you wonder

Rausch
10-06-2005, 12:15 PM
****...NO....

Cormac
10-06-2005, 12:19 PM
If the Chiefs would have hired Gregg Williams instead of Gunther to replace Greg Robinson would this defense be any better today?

Looking at what Williams has done with that defense in Washington (and the Redskins defense, especially this year talent wise isn't that much more talented than the Chiefs D) makes you wonder

I definitely would have taken Gregg Williams as DC anyday. But not as HC. He was soft in Buffalo. The players didn't respect him. He's just another great co-ordinator, poor HC.

htismaqe
10-06-2005, 12:21 PM
I'd love to see Williams in KC at this point.

FloridaMan88
10-06-2005, 12:21 PM
I definitely would have taken Gregg Williams as DC anyday. But not as HC. He was soft in Buffalo. The players didn't respect him. He's just another great co-ordinator, poor HC.

Yep I agree. I don't like the idea of trying to recycle head coaches who were total failures at their previous job.

chagrin
10-06-2005, 12:24 PM
7. Unlike most NFL gurus, I'm willing to admit a mistake...

:LOL:

btw jason:

Fatlock Fatlock Fatlock

he wrote something like "it makes you wonder..."

it only makes me wonder how bad our record would be in his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years here.

Kerberos
10-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Gotta love Whitlock!

You give him some Love GoatCheeez

I personally think he is a Tool.

Once in a blue moon he writes something that is worth reading and actually makes sense 100%.

But most of the time it is moronic ramblings, of a diluted sometimes sports writer, that amounts to JACK SH!T.

But give him some LOVE Cheeez.

:shake:

Lzen
10-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Yep I agree. I don't like the idea of trying to recycle head coaches who were total failures at their previous job.

Well, yeah. But whenever I think like that, I always remember Marv Levy was the HC of the Chiefs back in the early 80s.

Cormac
10-06-2005, 12:28 PM

as DC, or HC?

htismaqe
10-06-2005, 12:29 PM
as DC, or HC?

Either.

Anything but this.

Kerberos
10-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Well, yeah. But whenever I think like that, I always remember Marv Levy was the HC of the Chiefs back in the early 80s.

good point.

The Chiefs never gave Marv a chance or any players to make a difference.

He never won a big one but took buffalo to the superbowl HOW many times? :hmmm:

Cormac
10-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Either.

Anything but this.

:D

Hang in there. After we run the ball for 200 yards down the Redskins throats, and pound out a 23-10 win, we'll be back in the game.

Cormac
10-06-2005, 12:32 PM

I wouldn't want to recycle HCs who didn't make full use of their opportunities. I always thought that Buffalo had some talent and under-achieved in the Gregg Williams years. He just didn't get anything out of them (always the impression I had anyway).

Brock
10-06-2005, 12:35 PM

Yeah - New England totally effed up when they hired that Belichick guy.

Cormac
10-06-2005, 12:40 PM

I don't remember much about his Cleveland teams, but I doubt they were loaded with talent. A HC who never had the pieces in place deserves a second chance. A HC who underachieved with a decent team looks like a liability.

beavis
10-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Depressing, ain't it?

Extra Point
10-06-2005, 12:43 PM

TOO-SHAY. BTW, isn't it funny how much a guy can make cramming his hand up a dog puppet's ass? That friggin' dog is hilarious! Many thanks to Conan.

Shag
10-06-2005, 12:50 PM
9. The 0-4 Green Bay Packers will win the NFC North.

OK, the division might be the worst in the history of the league, but I envision the Packers going 8-4 or 9-3 the rest of the season. The Packers are not as bad as their winless record.

ROFL

The Packers are horrible, possibly the worst team in the horrid NFC North. I wouldn't be surprised to see them max out at 4 wins...

Johnson&Johnson
10-06-2005, 12:53 PM

yup! No recycling. Only one that has proven to be out of the norm of failed HC is Mr. Belichick who went from utter disrgace with the Browns to winning 3 SB with the Pats.

Brock
10-06-2005, 01:02 PM
yup! No recycling. Only one that has proven to be out of the norm of failed HC is Mr. Belichick who went from utter disrgace with the Browns to winning 3 SB with the Pats.

Marv Levy's already been pointed out.

MOhillbilly
10-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Either.

Anything but this.

neverever happen.

Hammock Parties
10-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Either.

Anything but this.

http://members.tripod.com/alish_poster_a/anywherebuthere01.jpg

MOhillbilly
10-06-2005, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't want to recycle HCs who didn't make full use of their opportunities. I always thought that Buffalo had some talent and under-achieved in the Gregg Williams years. He just didn't get anything out of them (always the impression I had anyway).

WTF are they doing now in Buffalo?
nothin.
Salery cap & players who evacuated w/ the GM didnt help either.

Im not making excuses for the punt on the 40 though.

MOhillbilly
10-06-2005, 01:35 PM
4. Washington defensive coordinator Gregg Williams deserves another shot at being a head coach.

Williams is responsible for the Redskins' undefeated start. It sure as hell has nothing to do with the 'Skins' offense. Williams would make perfect sense in Kansas City as a replacement for Vermeil, who is likely in his final year.

Williams is a native of Excelsior Springs, Mo.

he will never come to kc because he is a native of ES.

Johnson&Johnson
10-06-2005, 04:33 PM
All the good coordinators that helped guide their respective teams to the SB and WINNING it all are gone except for Kiffin. See below

2005 – Patriots (HC: Belichik, Def Cord: Romeo Crennel; Off Cord: Charlie Weis)
2004 – Patriots (HC: Belichik, Def Cord: Romeo Crennel; Off Cord: Charlie Weis)
2003 – Bucs (HC: Jon Gruden, Def Cord: Monte Kiffin; Off Cord: Bill Muir)
2002 – Patriots (HC: Belichik, Def Cord: Romeo Crennel; Off Cord: Charlie Weis)
2001 – Ravens (HC: Brian Billick, Def Cord: Marvin Lewis; Off Cord: Matt Cavanaugh)

Rausch
10-06-2005, 04:39 PM

I'm starting to suspect that we don't like watching the same kind of football...

SCChief
10-06-2005, 04:51 PM
All the good coordinators that helped guide their respective teams to the SB and WINNING it all are gone except for Kiffin. See below

2005 – Patriots (HC: Belichik, Def Cord: Romeo Crennel; Off Cord: Charlie Weis)
2004 – Patriots (HC: Belichik, Def Cord: Romeo Crennel; Off Cord: Charlie Weis)
2003 – Bucs (HC: Jon Gruden, Def Cord: Monte Kiffin; Off Cord: Bill Muir)
2002 – Patriots (HC: Belichik, Def Cord: Romeo Crennel; Off Cord: Charlie Weis)
2001 – Ravens (HC: Brian Billick, Def Cord: Marvin Lewis; Off Cord: Matt Cavanaugh)

Interesting point to be made here...

Is the Head Coach the important part of Superbowl-winning teams? Or is it the coordinators?

Points have been made how Belichik was a recycled coach... but would he have been successful without Romeo and Charlie? I think, at least thus far, the Patriots are showing this season that losing their coordinators may tear down "The Dynasty".

Uncle_Ted
10-06-2005, 06:53 PM
WTF are they doing now in Buffalo?
nothin.
Salery cap & players who evacuated w/ the GM didnt help either.

Im not making excuses for the punt on the 40 though.

Whose punt from the 40? Ours or Buffalo's? Williams is notorious for punting from the opponent's 40 (so much so that Tuesday Morning QB made a running joke out of it weekly in his column).

htismaqe
10-06-2005, 08:21 PM
I'm starting to suspect that we don't like watching the same kind of football...

It's not that.

I'm just to the point where I'd rather watch any football OTHER than the Dick Vermeil Chiefs...

Mecca
10-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Man, a good friend of mine is a Bills fan. He told me daily how horrible of a coach Gregg Williams was. If we hired him as a head coach I'd never hear the end of that. The guy should never be a head coach he just doesn't have it.

As far as that list of the Superbowl Winning DC's, the one that's left, Monte Kiffin. You can mark him out because he has no desire to be a head coach.

KC Jones
10-06-2005, 09:30 PM

Would Dick Vermeil have told Greg Williams he could choose his own defensive coaching staff?

Gun is no miracle worker, but having Giunta coach his secondary certainly can't help.

B_Ambuehl
10-06-2005, 11:18 PM

Yeah you definitely have to give all the accolades to the defensive coordinator.....especially since they have so much talent they can keep Lavar Arrington on the bench :)

philfree
10-06-2005, 11:56 PM
For better or worse since JW has suggested Williams there is no way in hell that Carl would even consider hiring him. Next!

PhilFree:arrow:

MOhillbilly
10-07-2005, 07:12 AM
Yeah you definitely have to give all the accolades to the defensive coordinator.....especially since they have so much talent they can keep Lavar Arrington on the bench :)
there D roster is abunch of nobodies.

Brock
10-07-2005, 07:12 AM
Interesting point to be made here...

Is the Head Coach the important part of Superbowl-winning teams? Or is it the coordinators?

Points have been made how Belichik was a recycled coach... but would he have been successful without Romeo and Charlie? I think, at least thus far, the Patriots are showing this season that losing their coordinators may tear down "The Dynasty".

Along with losing key players left and right.

Part of the head coach's job is to hire the right guys under him.

Brock
10-07-2005, 07:13 AM
For better or worse since JW has suggested Williams there is no way in hell that Carl would even consider hiring him. Next!

That's a fact.

teedubya
10-07-2005, 09:45 AM
So did he copy the Randy Moss and the Raiderz? or is that a BB filter? If so, he copied another CPism.

chiefqueen
10-07-2005, 11:32 AM

It may not be Carl's decision, he's only 3-5 years younger the Vermeil & may retire when DV does.

kcirnamffoh
10-07-2005, 03:22 PM
It may not be Carl's decision, he's only 3-5 years younger the Vermeil & may retire when DV does.

Finally. Someone give this man a cigar. I can only hope that happens. All of this thread is mute as long as Carl "the King Pimp" Peterson is running the show. I mean come on people, isn't 15 years of three playoff wins enough evidence to show that this man doesn't know a football from a frenched rack of lamb?

The Hunt family is going to ride this wave until it breaks, never really caring about anything but that 30 mil profit a year. Oh and if the Chiefs make a push for a wild card spot all the better.

I really don't think a new head coach will make a difference. That just means another transitional period of fielding a team that teases its fan base through promotional smoke-screens. Peterson is the one who's got to go. But if you remember it was cleverly announced on the first day of March Madness that he is good now through 2009. :rolleyes:

Johnson&Johnson
10-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Finally. Someone give this man a cigar. I can only hope that happens. All of this thread is mute as long as Carl "the King Pimp" Peterson is running the show. I mean come on people, isn't 15 years of three playoff wins enough evidence to show that this man doesn't know a football from a frenched rack of lamb?

The Hunt family is going to ride this wave until it breaks, never really caring about anything but that 30 mil profit a year. Oh and if the Chiefs make a push for a wild card spot all the better.

I really don't think a new head coach will make a difference. That just means another transitional period of fielding a team that teases its fan base through promotional smoke-screens. Peterson is the one who's got to go. But if you remember it was cleverly announced on the first day of March Madness that he is good now through 2009. :rolleyes:

Through 2009? I am gonna take a break from hoping too much for the Chiefs from here on out, at least not til after 2009.
:deevee: