PDA

View Full Version : DJ got horribly dissed by the NFL

BigRedChief
10-07-2005, 07:24 AM
For Rookie of the month. The dude has 27 tackles, 1 sack and 2 FF and a fumble recovery... that pretty much ties him up with the guy who won, yet he doesn't get a mention from the NFL? WTF :cuss: just because we are in the midwest doesn't mean you can ignore us NFL.

Philadelphia defensive tackle Mike Patterson (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/418377) (first-round, USC), who leads all Eagles defensive linemen with 17 tackles and has added 1.0 sack and one forced fumble.
Seattle linebacker Lofa Tatupu (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/421986) (second-round, USC), who ranks fourth on the team with 14 tackles and has one sack, helping the Seahawks hold opponents to a 24.3 (9 of 37) conversion rate on third downs, tops in the NFL

These guys get mentioned but not DJ? The NFL has some splaining to do.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8907202

SCChief
10-07-2005, 07:28 AM
I think DJ is being ignored because of the poor performance of the team. It is absolutely wrong... but that seems to be the way of it. He was the biggest factor in a vastly improved D when the Chiefs were 2-0 (according to most of the sports media). Now, two weeks later, he is not even mentioned.

Sad.

donkhater
10-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Actually, I've been pretty disappointed with him or at least how KC is using him. Aside from week one when he and the rest of the KC defense were beateing up on the awful Jets, DJ has been a weak link on this defense.

Sure he runs down a lot of plays and makes tackles, but teams are developing their game plans around exploiting him in the passing game. The Jets, Raiders, Broncos and Philly teams all had huge success getting the ball to whatever RB or TE DJ was responsible for in his area of the zone.

He hasn't earned any honors yet IMHO.

Extra Point
10-07-2005, 07:55 AM
3-4 (keying on primary RB)/5-3 may help highlight DJ. Maybe a few slant picks would boost his cred. It's up to Gun taking hold of the defense. I think Gun has had enough of DV. DV can't look over his shoulder if he's in the viewbox.

SCChief
10-07-2005, 07:56 AM
He has still played better than any of the other defensive rookies. Linebackers classically do not cover well in their first season, because few colleges actually regularly employ their LBs in coverage schemes. Look at the Eagles' rookie... he is a defensive lineman. His whole job is to hit the ball carrier at or behind the line of scrimmage... be it the RB or the QB. DJ has all of the same responsibilities of a DL, but with the added responsibility of covering passes. And he has still racked up more tackles, the same sack numbers, and several forced and recovered fumbles.

The weak link on this defense is the soft zone.

jidar
10-07-2005, 07:58 AM
3-4 (keying on primary RB)/5-3 may help highlight DJ. Maybe a few slant picks would boost his cred. It's up to Gun taking hold of the defense. I think Gun has had enough of DV. DV can't look over his shoulder if he's in the viewbox.

Where does this oh so common and assinine idea that DV is telling Gun what to do on D come from?
You think DV makes the decision as to whether to play 4-3 or 3-4? That's ridiculous.

donkhater
10-07-2005, 08:01 AM
OK so he has better stats than most of the rookies. Big deal. The dude is being game planned for and not for how to stop him but how to exploit him.

When a team bascially can't throw to their TE because DJ is covering him or throw out to the flat because they are afraid of getting their RB killed or Bootleg for the same reason, THEN I'll jump up and down like a little school girl in excitement over this guy. As for now, he's playing pretty average for the talent that he has.

Chiefnj
10-07-2005, 08:09 AM
Look at Dr. Z's analysis of the defense. The guy saw LB's who were lost against Denver and who were still lost against Philly. The NFL voters saw the same things.

Just because he is putting up #'s doesn't necessarily mean he is playing all that well, it just means he is on the field a long time because teams aren't being forced to punt.

Patterson might not have gaudy numbers, but he did a lot more to disrupt KC than KC's DT's did to disrupt McNabb.

NJ Chief Fan
10-07-2005, 10:03 AM
let them sleep on dj....theyll all know the truth in the end

MichaelH
10-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Trent Green gets dissed for the Pro Bowl after throwing over 4000 yards and having one the best completion percentages. Why, because he's on a team that bombs when it counts and that causes no respect. It has nothing to do where the team is located but rather the crappy performance of the Chiefs in my opinion.

vailpass
10-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Outsider's view:
DJ up to this point has played like a rookie with upside, which is exactly what he is.
No smack here but DJ looked lost for the Denver and Philly games because they game planned him right out of action. Next time around he will begin to recognize this and eventually he will adapt.
He has been thrust into a starter's role in the NFL because KC needs him and because he is a talent.
Trial by fire hastens the process but still requires time. DJ may get to be the dominant LB some of you think he already is but he is not there yet. How could he be?

StcChief
10-07-2005, 11:12 AM
So what else is new. He's gonna have to prove it all year every game for DROY.

Inspector
10-07-2005, 11:46 AM
let them sleep on dj....theyll all know the truth in the end

NTTAWWT

Dunit35
10-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Outsider's view:
DJ up to this point has played like a rookie with upside, which is exactly what he is.
No smack here but DJ looked lost for the Denver and Philly games because they game planned him right out of action. Next time around he will begin to recognize this and eventually he will adapt.
He has been thrust into a starter's role in the NFL because KC needs him and because he is a talent.
Trial by fire hastens the process but still requires time. DJ may get to be the dominant LB some of you think he already is but he is not there yet. How could he be?

very true...one thing I noticed was when he got into the backfield and completly missed McNabb on a sack...came in there way too fast...sometimes you just gotta slow down when you are going through there...you know he was going to step up in the pocket when he was coming in there so fast..

PastorMikH
10-07-2005, 02:20 PM
I cannot believe the talk about DJ. From some of what I read around here, it sounds like we wasted a pick on him.

FWIW, the 2 teams DJ looked "lost" against, the rest of our D - including our stud, high-priced FA LB by the name of Bell looked lost against. I saw DJ making plays out there.

FWIW-II, had our D played against Cinci's sched, our D would have looked a lot better too. Likewise, had Cinnci's sched looked like ours, I imagine Mr Thurman would have looked a bit lost as well.

Amnorix
10-07-2005, 02:21 PM
When your defense has the rep KC's has had over the last 2 years, and with a couple exceptions things aren't looking much better so far this year, you can probably forget individual honors.

Unfortunate, unfair, but true.

Bowser
10-07-2005, 02:25 PM
When your defense has the rep KC's has had over the last 2 years, and with a couple exceptions things aren't looking much better so far this year, you can probably forget individual honors.

Unfortunate, unfair, but true.

Hey shut up, you! Go take Brady some more tissue.......

BigRedChief
10-07-2005, 03:09 PM
ROFL

Amnorix
10-07-2005, 03:35 PM

ROFL ROFL

big nasty kcnut
10-07-2005, 03:47 PM
When sims and warfield get back in dj going to destroy all humans.

RealSNR
10-07-2005, 04:55 PM

Unfortunate, unfair, but true.Don't you have some Super Bowl championships to be admiring right now or something like that?

Skip Towne
10-07-2005, 05:07 PM
I agree with nut. DJ will soon destroy all humans.