PDA

View Full Version : 10:00PM central start time for a MLB playoff game?

Deberg_1990
10-08-2005, 09:14 PM
MLB should be ashamed of itself....WTF??? I remember when i was a kid the playoff games would all be on during the daytime hours. It also appears that MLB refuses to overlap games as well like they used to. How do they expect their sport to grow?? Do they really think that the ratings will be larger with games starting so late???

tk13
10-08-2005, 09:16 PM
It's 8 pm in San Diego... where the game is...

Deberg_1990
10-08-2005, 09:17 PM

So now they "regionalize" the sport??? for a playoff game???? I just dont see how this is better?? The Angels/Yankees game the other night ended at 2:30am eastern time.

KS Smitty
10-08-2005, 09:19 PM

:shake: There you go letting logic get in the way of a perfectly good rant. Shame on you!

Only the west 1/4 of the country is on Pacific time who are they to dictate what time the game is? :cuss: :p :)

milkman
10-08-2005, 09:19 PM
The game of baseball will not grow unti the economics of the game are fixed.

tk13
10-08-2005, 09:21 PM
So now they "regionalize" the sport??? for a playoff game???? I just dont see how this is better?? The Angels/Yankees game the other night ended at 2:30am eastern time.
Regionalize? MNF goes till 1 am or more sometimes, and that's just regular season action, even if the game is actually on the East Coast. I think that's far more of a crime than giving a team playing a home playoff game a "normal" start time.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-08-2005, 09:24 PM
I only watch baseball when it's playoff time and the World Series. It actually gets pretty intense then, unlike the rest of the million games before then.

Deberg_1990
10-08-2005, 09:26 PM
I only watch baseball when it's playoff time and the World Series. It actually gets pretty intense then, unlike the rest of the million games before then.

Agreed.....MLB, Basketball and Hockey all need to shorten their seasons by about 20 games.

Skip Towne
10-08-2005, 09:34 PM
You guys probably won't believe it but I was an avid baseball fan at one time. I was allowed on the American Legion team two years before I was old enough because I was better than what they had. I can name you several starters on the 1954 Kansas City A's. Yet I detest baseball today. I know all the rules and nuances of the game. The '94 strike did it for me. I quit cold turkey. Since then I have seen nothing to make me come back. Rooting against Steinbrenner ain't enough. I hope baseball falls on its ass.

Ebolapox
10-08-2005, 09:55 PM
You guys probably won't believe it but I was an avid baseball fan at one time. I was allowed on the American Legion team two years before I was old enough because I was better than what they had. I can name you several starters on the 1954 Kansas City A's. Yet I detest baseball today. I know all the rules and nuances of the game. The '94 strike did it for me. I quit cold turkey. Since then I have seen nothing to make me come back. Rooting against Steinbrenner ain't enough. I hope baseball falls on its ass.

stop the train, I agree with skip

I was eleven when the 94 strike struck... I was in little league, and lived, ate, breathed baseball--like every little boy does to a certain extent--I was pretty damned good back then, too... but, the 94 strike soured me... I stopped giving a sh*t and dove headfirst into the chiefs--oh, I liked em' before, but never as much as after the 94' strike...

well, one good thing came from that year

-EB-

Skip Towne
10-08-2005, 10:04 PM
stop the train, I agree with skip

I was eleven when the 94 strike struck... I was in little league, and lived, ate, breathed baseball--like every little boy does to a certain extent--I was pretty damned good back then, too... but, the 94 strike soured me... I stopped giving a sh*t and dove headfirst into the chiefs--oh, I liked em' before, but never as much as after the 94' strike...

well, one good thing came from that year

-EB-
Stop the train indeed........How you doin' buddy? We do have something in common. We had very similar baseball beginnings. We'd go out and play baseball in 100 degree heat and think nothing of it. Of course we had no air conditioning in 1955 so we didn't know any better. We thought you were supposed to be hot in the summer. I. too, lived, ate and breathed baseball. I hated it's tragic end.

chefsos
10-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Padres break up the no hitta! Another! Only trailing by 6 now. What an amazingly mediocre playoff team.

Miles
10-08-2005, 10:50 PM
I think it was a TV scheduling issue. ESPN had college football on both of its channels earlier.

tk13
10-08-2005, 10:55 PM
I think it was a TV scheduling issue. ESPN had college football on both of its channels earlier.
Well, plus A) there's college football on all day but not much now... and B) if all four series were still going on, the Red Sox coulda played at 1, Yankees at 4 (rained out), Astros at 7/8 whenever... and then this game at 10.

VonneMarie
5 run game...

Ebolapox
Stop the train indeed........How you doin' buddy? We do have something in common. We had very similar baseball beginnings. We'd go out and play baseball in 100 degree heat and think nothing of it. Of course we had no air conditioning in 1955 so we didn't know any better. We thought you were supposed to be hot in the summer. I. too, lived, ate and breathed baseball. I hated it's tragic end.

oh heck yeah--there was a sandlot up the street from where my family was living for the summer before 94 (we had a house fire that year on father's day of all days), and a bunch of us kids went out and played every damned day that summer--we were all on the same little league team, and.. lmao--our team sucked for the most part--we finished third in our league both years I played (before we moved to sparta)--we had great hitting (I hit third), but our pitching blew chunks--the coach's son pitched most of the time, and he was HORRIBLE--imagine lima-time, only 24/7

eh, oh well... f*ck baseball now, no turning back

-EB-