PDA

View Full Version : Fire destroys 'Wallace and Gromit' warehouse

|Zach|
10-10-2005, 06:05 AM
BRISTOL, England -- The company behind the successful "Wallace and Gromit" films said Monday its "entire history" has been destroyed in a fire at a warehouse containing all its props.

The roof of the Aardman Animations building in Bristol, west England collapsed after the blaze tore through the Victorian building early Monday, the UK's Press Association reported.

A spokesman for Aardman said the building housed all the props and sets from the company's history, including its "Wallace and Gromit" films. No one was in the building when the fire broke out.

Aardman has used stop-motion clay animation to create a series of acclaimed films, including three Nick Park-directed shorts featuring cheese-loving inventor Wallace and his resourceful dog Gromit.

The animated pair's first full-length feature, "Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit," was released in the United States on Friday and topped the U.S. box office over the weekend.

"Today was supposed to be a day of celebration, with the news that 'Wallace and Gromit' had gone in at No. 1 at the U.S. box office, but instead our whole history has been wiped out," Aardman spokesman Arthur Sheriff told PA.

"The early reports are that the whole building has been destroyed.

"For us, it held everything we had done since day one.

"It's turned out to be a terrible day."

Sheriff said the warehouse contained sets, props and models from all the company's productions, from the children's cartoon character "Morph" through the Oscar-winning, anthropomorphic "Creature Comforts" series to the Wallace and Gromit films.

Animator Park, who was also the brains behind the 2000 animated feature film "Chicken Run," was said to be philosophical about the fire in the context of the massive earthquake in Pakistan.

"Nick has been on the phone and while this is devastating, in light of the other news he has been hearing on the radio, it is immaterial," Sheriff told Reuters.

Fire crews from across the region were called in to tackle the blaze, which at its height saw flames reaching 100 feet into the air.

The area has been sealed off, and crews were expected to remain at the scene for the rest of the day.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/10/aardman.fire/index.html?section=cnn_topstories

siberian khatru
10-10-2005, 06:10 AM
Here's your No. 1 suspect:

http://popcorn.cx/wg/films/twt/images/gun.jpg

Ultra Peanut
10-10-2005, 06:11 AM
Wow.

Eleazar
10-10-2005, 06:13 AM
I saw that on TV once. It was funny.

Extra Point
10-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Here's my primary suspect:
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/dreamworks_skg/wallace___gromit__the_curse_of_the_were_rabbit/ralph_fiennes/wallace1.jpg

Iowanian
10-10-2005, 08:06 AM
I have a nephew who will be crushed.

Rain Man
10-10-2005, 08:43 AM
This is just like the burning of the library at Alexandria. Wallace and Gromit scholars will lament this for centuries.

Phobia
10-10-2005, 09:15 AM
I'm trying to get all busted up about this, but I'm a hard, hard man. I really don't give a shit.

Quite frankly I've never heard of Wallace and Gromit nor do I recognize any of the goofy ass characters posted in this thread.

WilliamTheIrish
10-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Just discovered how funny this show is. I was watching a show with a nephew and during the commnercial interrruptions of the show there was a 10 minute clip of the new movie.

I'm hooked.

Sure-Oz
10-10-2005, 10:20 AM
well that sucks

Jenny Gump
10-10-2005, 10:21 AM
All the hard work....up in smoke.

Extra Point
10-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Took my wife Saturday nite to see the new W + G movie at Red Bridge. Great movie, no crowds ever at Red Bridge. Great pair of flicks. Take your nephew to see them, WTI. You both would really enjoy!

Valiant
10-10-2005, 12:58 PM
teaches the damn pike'es to store their shit in vaults so I cannot get burnt.. Seriously, they prolley were figuring it would burn and wanted to collect insurance...

Jenny Gump
10-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Reminds me of my first feature film...but it was called Novice and Vomit. It too was burned, but for completely unrelated reasons.

JBucc
10-10-2005, 03:33 PM
At least I wasn't hurt

Boozer
10-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Ladmo wanted for questioning? I heard he called Gromit a homewrecker.

Thig Lyfe
10-10-2005, 03:46 PM
That's awful. All that hard, HARD work (stop motion is so time-consuming from what I've heard)...

|Zach|
10-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Ladmo wanted for questioning? I heard he called Gromit a homewrecker.
ROFL

angel
10-10-2005, 04:57 PM
I have a nephew who will be crushed.
I have a me who is crushed

wait... does this mean my old Wallace and Gromit videos are going to be worth some money?