PDA

View Full Version : Pythons gone wild-another week, another killing

Bootlegged
10-10-2005, 11:19 AM
http://www.tampabays10.com/assetpool/images/051010104131_python2.jpg

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=19803

Python swallows cat in Florida backyard

Miami Gardens, Florida - Elidia Rodriguez of Miami Gardens had been looking for her year-old Siamese cat for two days when her son pointed out the bulging Burmese python slithering in her backyard.

Experts say that bulge in the 12-foot snake is probably the missing 15-pound cat.

Rodriguez got the cat last year as a post-hurricane gift. She named the cat Frances, after the storm.

The snake was spotted in Rodriguez's backyard yesterday.

Experts with the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue antivenin unit says Frances wouldn't have stood a chance against the larger predator.

The snake was captured and taken to the Sense of Wonder Nature Center at AD Barnes National Park.

Earlier this month, authorities say a 13-foot python burst after it apparently tried to swallow a live, six-foot alligator whole.

Associated Press

Eleazar
10-10-2005, 11:20 AM
The government needs to step in and ban pythons

Simplex3
10-10-2005, 11:22 AM
If I find a 12ft python in my back yard I can assure you it doesn't go to some nature center for anything other than an autopsy.

Brock
10-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Somebody needs to report that snake to the ASPCA

Extra Point
10-10-2005, 11:25 AM
The government needs to step in and ban pythons

Call in FEMA, do a cost-benefit analysis, and post a "Mission Accomplished" sign.

You just want to see the catfight posts on this thread between gblowfish and Iowanian!

Demonpenz
10-10-2005, 11:25 AM
someone call a vet these pythons are sick! *demon flexes his arms*

Iowanian
10-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Think of all the Gas, fuel and taxpayer money that would have been saved, if all the Pythons found in florida had been moved to the Delta region.

Rain Man
10-10-2005, 11:30 AM
I'm a huge fan of cats, who I'm convinced would rule the world if they only had thumbs. However, I must comment objectively that I'm impressed that a python could catch a cat. Do they drop out of trees, or how do they actually grab their prey?

Dave Lane
10-10-2005, 11:34 AM
I'm a huge fan of cats, who I'm convinced would rule the world if they only had thumbs. However, I must comment objectively that I'm impressed that a python could catch a cat. Do they drop out of trees, or how do they actually grab their prey?

They lunge out bite and hold them with lots of teeth them squeeze them to death.

Dave

Dartgod
10-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Here is the cat that was eaten. Any more questions?

http://www.mypkhome.com/fatcat/cat-fc-6.jpg

Dave Lane
10-10-2005, 11:36 AM
They lunge out bite and hold them with lots of teeth then squeeze them to death.

Dave

Rain Man
10-10-2005, 11:36 AM
They lunge out bite and hold them with lots of teeth them squeeze them to death.

Dave

Ah. Okay.

Isn't there one type of constrictor that drops out of trees onto their prey?

Dave Lane
10-10-2005, 11:41 AM
The boa constrictor is related to the anaconda, but the boa stays out the water as much as the anaconda stays in it.

This non-venomous South and Central American snake, which can weigh more than 60 pounds (27 kg) and grow to nearly 10 feet (3 meters), uses the process of constriction to suffocate and kill its prey before eating it whole. It has been known to constrict and eat monkeys, rodents and other reptiles, often using its prehensile tail to hang from trees and drop down on prey.

Dave

Biohazard
10-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Here is the cat that was eaten. Any more questions?

http://www.mypkhome.com/fatcat/cat-fc-6.jpg
Good lord thats a whole lota puzzy! Are you sure that cat didnt eat a python? :shake:

Goapics1
10-10-2005, 11:53 AM
It's Bush's fault.

Rain Man
10-10-2005, 11:54 AM
The boa constrictor is related to the anaconda, but the boa stays out the water as much as the anaconda stays in it.

This non-venomous South and Central American snake, which can weigh more than 60 pounds (27 kg) and grow to nearly 10 feet (3 meters), uses the process of constriction to suffocate and kill its prey before eating it whole. It has been known to constrict and eat monkeys, rodents and other reptiles, often using its prehensile tail to hang from trees and drop down on prey.

Dave

Cool. Now, is a python the same thing as an anaconda, or are they different?

Hydrae
10-10-2005, 11:59 AM
I am just shocked that a 1 year old Siamese weighed 15 pounds! :eek: What was she feeding this thing?

HolmeZz
10-10-2005, 12:00 PM
I am just shocked that a 1 year old Siamese weighed 15 pounds! :eek: What was she feeding this thing?

Python eggs.

C-Mac
10-10-2005, 12:04 PM
Cat must have been sleeping(there good at that).
You'll never heard about them eating a jungle cat unless it was already dead.