PDA

View Full Version : Road Warrior K close to new deal

Mr. Laz
10-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Browns, Winslow close to new deal
Story Tools: Print Email XML
Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 23 hours ago

The future of Kellen Winslow II in Cleveland will soon become much clearer.

FOXSports.com has learned the Browns and Winslow have agreed to terms on a new deal that includes a one-year extension and several incentives to recoup much — but not all — of the bonus money he lost due to injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident.
The contract has not been signed yet as the two sides still need to "dot the I's and cross the T's" according to league sources, but the numbers and just about all of the language has been agreed upon by both parties.

The new deal calls for his contract to run through 2010 and also stipulates that he'll lose out on nearly $1 million in bonus money even if he's a perfect soldier from this point on. He was due a bonus of $950,000 on Dec. 15 but will now forfeit that money.

Another bonus of $2 million that was withheld can be earned back by playing a certain amount of time over the next three seasons, provided he passes his physical. If Winslow were not able to return due to the extensive injuries sustained in his off-season motorcycle crash, he would not make back his money. However, if he were to return in time for camp next year and pass his physical at the start of training camp, he would earn another large bonus back. This bonus could also be tied to some additional provisions.

The team wanted to ensure that they got an additional year out of the deal, as they lost a year due to this injury. While the contract makes both sides happy, the deal could not be completely penalty free. The additional year added — as well as the loss of the $950,000 bonus — in essence hold Winslow accountable for his mistake.

According to team sources, Winslow has been tremendous during his rehabilitation stint. He's been working diligently with strength coach John Lott and at least physically actually looks better now than he did prior to his accident.

If everything goes smoothly the two sides will finalize this deal immediately and send it into the league for review.

RETREAT AND RELOAD: The Minnesota Vikings return from a much-needed bye week Monday, but for some in the organization the retreat will just begin.

FOXSports.com has learned that a two-day organizational meeting has been called in Minnesota by ownership to discuss the future of the club. The executive-level meeting has been labeled a Vikings "Strategic Planning Retreat" and will include all members of ownership — not just the Wilf family, but minority shareholders such as Reggie Fowler and team executives.

The Vikings have been in turmoil since Week 2 when they were lambasted by the Cincinnati Bengals and story upon story has since risen regarding the direction of Mike Tice's club. Most recently, a story was written claiming that Tice hinted at quitting to his team, a story that was vehemently denied by every player interviewed as well as Tice.

Still, the Vikings are viewed as being a team in complete disarray, something that cannot sit well with the new ownership group.

The two-day retreat is expected to hit several issues — both football and non-football related — including the direction of the club and how to correct many of their current problems.

CHARGER BOLTED: The San Diego Chargers threw the Patriots a beating last Sunday, but the New England players weren't the only ones to feel the Chargers' aggression.

FOXSports.com has learned that the league this week fined San Diego defensive back Drayton Florence $15,000 for striking an official toward the end of the first half of that game. Florence, upset about a call, came over and threw what appeared to be a forearm shiver at the official's ribs but for some reason was not ejected from the contest.

While the official took it lightly, the league did not and levied the fine this week. Florence is the second player in three weeks to get hit with the whopping total as Vikings safety Willie Offord was also hit for 15 large after shoving an official three weeks ago.

ARRINGTON TRIES TO BE GOOD: LB LaVar Arrington remains nothing more than a high-priced bench warmer for the Redskins and intends to keep his mouth shut regarding his situation. The benching, however, has not changed his mind regarding where he wants to play. The team on the other hand isn't committing one way or another.

"Even with this I've told them I want to remain a Redskin," Arrington told FOXSports.com on Saturday. "I told them this week but they didn't really give me any indication of their plans one way or another.

"I'm just going to keep my mouth shut and try to do what I need to do to get out on the field. I just want to play."

BRAYLON'S BUMMIN': The Cleveland Browns nearly had a week in which they were completely injury free. The operative word here being "nearly."

WR Braylon Edwards, the third pick of the 2005 draft, missed Sunday's game after having to undergo an emergency procedure on Saturday for an infection. Edwards participated fully in Saturday's walk-through but had his right elbow heavily wrapped. In addition, he was unable to straighten out his arm completely.

Following the walkthrough, the doctors met with Edwards and decided to rush him into a procedure as the infection began to spread up his arm.

"They brought him in to drain it, clean it out and make sure it doesn't spread even more," said one Browns source. "Hopefully they got it all out of there."

The situation began well before Saturday's blowup when it started with a bump on his elbow. Over time, Edwards began to pick at the bump until it opened a little scratch. He continued to mess with the area until it became infected and blew up to the size of a baseball by Saturday morning.

The Browns do not yet know how much time the infection will cause him to miss.

ETC: FOXSports.com has learned that Raiders DT Warren Sapp was fined a total of $7,500 by the league office this week for two separate hits on Dallas QB Drew Bledsoe last week.