PDA

View Full Version : Dobermans

Donger
10-10-2005, 03:17 PM
So, we're looking to add to the family a Dobe. We used to have two Dobes before kids, and now that the kids are getting older, the wife wants to get add a Doberman.

Does anyone know of reputable breeders in the Midwest/Mountain area? Not show-quality, but not puppy mill either.

Thanks.

* Edit: and any rescue organizations. I probably know most of them, however.

Simplex3
10-10-2005, 03:22 PM
The only time I've been chased by a dog it was a doberman. Of course it was diagnosed mentally instable and had several other physical conditions. I still hate those dogs though.

Donger
10-10-2005, 03:26 PM
The only time I've been chased by a dog it was a doberman. Of course it was diagnosed mentally instable and had several other physical conditions. I still hate those dogs though.

Their are some nutjob Dobes. I used to rescue them when I was single.

JBucc
10-10-2005, 03:26 PM
My neighbor used to have one and he would come to our house and eat bubbles

Simplex3
10-10-2005, 03:30 PM
My neighbor used to have one and he would come to our house and eat bubbles
1. Did Bubbles ever get arrested for beastiality?
2. Why did you have a stripper living at your house?

MOhillbilly
10-10-2005, 03:32 PM
check w/ your insurance first.

kennel links.

http://www.dogresources.com/dobermans/

JBucc
10-10-2005, 03:34 PM
1. Did Bubbles ever get arrested for beastiality?
2. Why did you have a stripper living at your house?
1. No its legal here
2. She's my mom

MOhillbilly
10-10-2005, 03:35 PM
1. No its legal here
2. She's my mom

the dog?

JBucc
10-10-2005, 03:36 PM
the dog?
:shake: the stripper

munkey
10-10-2005, 03:53 PM
So, we're looking to add to the family a Dobe. We used to have two Dobes before kids, and now that the kids are getting older, the wife wants to get add a Doberman.

Does anyone know of reputable breeders in the Midwest/Mountain area? Not show-quality, but not puppy mill either.

Thanks.

Why Dob's?

Size, personality?

Donger
10-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Why Dob's?

Size, personality?

We always had at least one growing up, and I've never had any other kind of dog.

Phobia
10-10-2005, 04:29 PM
If you're going to get a Doberman, you should go all out and get yourself the gamest Pit you can find. You will thank me later. /Big_Daddy

Phobia
10-10-2005, 04:30 PM
From what I hear about the climate around your house, a Siberian Husky might be a better choice for you.

Phobia
10-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Get a pot belly pig instead. You don't ever have to wash his legs.

Phobia
10-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Okay - pick the funniest response and drop me some love for it.

Donger
10-10-2005, 04:31 PM
From what I hear about the climate around your house, a Siberian Husky might be a better choice for you.

Peh. She won, of course. It's now 72 f*cking degrees in 'my' house.

BIG_DADDY
10-10-2005, 04:36 PM
If you're going to get a Doberman, you should go all out and get yourself the gamest Pit you can find. You will thank me later. /Big_Daddy ROFL

Donger
10-10-2005, 04:39 PM

I'm not sure why that'd be a consideration, but thanks for the information.

chiefs4me
10-10-2005, 04:40 PM

okay...I pick this one, what's the joke on washing legs? Doesn't donger wash his legs, I have seen this said to him more then once.....:hmmm:

Frankie
10-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Dobermans
Dobermen??? :shrug:

Donger
10-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Dobermen??? :shrug:

No. The plural of Doberman is Dobermans.

DanT
10-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Here's the "Adoptable Dobermans" page from the "Doberman Rescue of Colorado" site:

http://www.dobermanrescueco.org/dobermans.htm

Donger
10-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Here's the "Adoptable Dobermans" page from the "Doberman Rescue of Colorado" site:

http://www.dobermanrescueco.org/dobermans.htm

Yep. I'm familiar with the group.

Skip Towne
10-10-2005, 05:18 PM
The plural of cannon is cannon.

DanT
10-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Here's the DPCA's Official Doberman Rescue Directory for the United States:

http://www.dpcacope.org/directory.htm

Donger
10-10-2005, 05:22 PM
The plural of cannon is cannon.

Not always.

DanT
10-10-2005, 05:25 PM
The Doberman Pinscher Club of America's Official Breeder Referral Directory is here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~dpcabreederreferral/

KChiefsQT
10-10-2005, 05:26 PM
I've never owned one... but those dogs scare the living chit out of me.

Duck Dog
10-10-2005, 05:34 PM
I was born into a house with a dobe. We had 2 female pups get stolen. One male that was too agressive and a police dog trainer took him. The other 2 females lived long pampered lives. They love their family members and are very protective.

Donger
10-10-2005, 08:38 PM

Why?

Donger
10-10-2005, 08:39 PM
I was born into a house with a dobe. We had 2 female pups get stolen. One male that was too agressive and a police dog trainer took him. The other 2 females lived long pampered lives. They love their family members and are very protective.

In my experience, the males (for whatever reason) are the ones you really need to be careful around. Even the ones with good and verifiable bloodlines.

chiefs4me
10-10-2005, 08:42 PM
In my experience, the males (for whatever reason) are the ones you really need to be careful around. Even the ones with good and verifiable bloodlines.

are we still talking about a dog?:)

Frankie
10-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the English lesson, old chap. But I was just funnin'.
:p

Frankie
10-10-2005, 09:21 PM
So, Donger, what's the plural of chit? :shrug:

Hammock Parties
10-11-2005, 04:56 AM
My first dog was a Doberman. His name was Chief.

Here he is:

Frankie
10-11-2005, 02:53 PM
My first dog was a Doberman. His name was Chief.

Here he is:

They don't look menacing when they keep the ears. Do they?

Chiefs Pantalones
10-11-2005, 03:03 PM

Thanks.

I wonder if their balls stink...

MOhillbilly
10-11-2005, 03:12 PM
They don't look menacing when they keep the ears. Do they?

the org stock bred by louis doberman were supposed the meanest dogs ever.

Frankie
10-11-2005, 03:59 PM
the org stock bred by louis doberman were supposed the meanest dogs ever.
Are they born with ears that way? :shrug:

Hammock Parties
10-11-2005, 04:10 PM
Are they born with ears that way? :shrug:

See my dog a few posts up.

Frankie
10-11-2005, 04:31 PM
See my dog a few posts up.OK i'm either confusing myself or sombody here. Until I read MOhillbilly's post I always thought they cut their ears off to give them that menacing look (and maybe disposition).

Donger
10-11-2005, 04:35 PM
OK i'm either confusing myself or sombody here. Until I read MOhillbilly's post I always thought they cut their ears off to give them that menacing look (and maybe disposition).

They are born with big, floppy ears. Going back to Herr Dobermann, they have had their ears cropped for numerous reasons; medical, practical and aesthetic.

Their tails are also cut off; AKA docking.

Frankie
10-11-2005, 04:36 PM
They are born with big, floppy ears. Going back to Herr Dobermann, they have had their ears cropped for numerous reasons; medical, practical and aesthetic.

Thank you!

That's what I thought.

MOhillbilly
10-12-2005, 09:47 AM

i read it didnt get popular to crop ears till the dogs made inroads here in the states in the 50s. And that rarely if ever did the EU stock have there ears croped.

and i cant think of a medical reason to crop a dogs ears or a pratical one cause i croped my dobies ears and it was a pain in the ass.

Donger
10-12-2005, 09:58 AM
i read it didnt get popular to crop ears till the dogs made inroads here in the states in the 50s. And that rarely if ever did the EU stock have there ears croped.

and i cant think of a medical reason to crop a dogs ears or a pratical one cause i croped my dobies ears and it was a pain in the ass.

IIRC, Dobermann tried to breed the dog so that the ears would stand naturally. When that was not accomplished, they began cropping.

I forget the exact medical reason, but I think it was because of the length of the ear, they could become damaged at the ends. Something to do with lack of blood flow. Natural eared Dobes are also more succeptable to ear infections, especially when they get wet.

The practical reason is more for guard dogs. Big, floppy ears are easy to get hold of than cropped.

MOhillbilly
10-12-2005, 10:07 AM
IIRC, Dobermann tried to breed the dog so that the ears would stand naturally. When that was not accomplished, they began cropping.

I forget the exact medical reason, but I think it was because of the length of the ear, they could become damaged at the ends. Something to do with lack of blood flow. Natural eared Dobes are also more succeptable to ear infections, especially when they get wet.

The practical reason is more for guard dogs. Big, floppy ears are easy to get hold of than cropped.
some of that sounds like akc propaganda. i googled it and read the same thing.
though the books i read said diffrent.
whatever.

The natural flap of a dogs ear is to protect it from infection that may come from dirt and what not entering the ear canal.
Though they can split at the ends of the ear,but its far less radical than shearing 2/3rds of the ear off.

in a true attackdog the only matter cropped ears would make is on the other side of the fence as a visual deterent.
having trained attack dogs - if the mark has a chance or can get a dog off by an ear hold the owner would be well advised to cull the entire stock and start fresh.