PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post:Redskins Suddenly Springing Leaks

chefsos
10-11-2005, 10:45 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/10/AR2005101001616.html

Run Defense Is a Concern Heading Into Chiefs Game

By Jason La Canfora
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, October 11, 2005; Page E01

Once, they were impervious to any and all running backs. For 18 games, no opponent could carry the ball effectively against the Washington Redskins as they consistently kept rushers out of the end zone and kept them from gaining significant yardage.

But in the last two weeks, something has changed. The Redskins (3-1) faced two of the NFL's elite ground teams -- Seattle and Denver -- and blinked, allowing 5.6 yards per carry in splitting those games. On Sunday, they travel to Kansas City for what may be the toughest challenge yet, facing what many consider to be the league's premier offensive line and two talented runners, Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson. Redskins coaches say corrections are in order if Washington is to recover its defensive identity.

"We've got to find a way to keep that from happening," Coach Joe Gibbs said. "Otherwise we won't be winning football games. Because this team this week [Kansas City] has played some of the best offensive performances we've ever seen."

Tatum Bell essentially won Sunday's game for Denver by foiling the defense on touchdown runs of 34 and 55 yards. Bell totaled 127 yards on 12 carries -- a 10.6-yard average -- and became the first person to reach 100 yards rushing against the Redskins since Pittsburgh's Jerome Bettis last November, ending an NFL-best streak of eight games. Only once in the preceding 19 games did an opponent score twice on the ground against Washington (Green Bay's Ahman Green in the seventh game last season), and the Redskins had not allowed a scoring run of longer than 11 yards since Gibbs and his staff took over before the 2004 season. They have already yielded four rushing touchdowns after allowing seven all of last season (tied for third-best in the NFL).

The problems began in Week 4, when Seattle star Shaun Alexander broke loose in the second half, getting the Seahawks back in the game. Twice, Alexander exposed the Redskins on the outside, including a 34-yard run that at the time was the longest the Redskins defense had allowed (no back took a carry for more than 26 yards against them in 2004). The last two games have dropped the Redskins from first to 20th in the NFL in yards allowed per carry and prompted a reexamination of this most essential element of their game.

"When you pride yourself on this," defensive tackle Joe Salave'a said, "and it's our philosophy to stop the run, it really hurts. It's embarrassing, really. When you're in this system that is built around dominating the run, it's unacceptable and it's embarrassing."

"We've had a huge drop-off in the last two weeks," defensive end Renaldo Wynn said. "It's disappointing, and it comes from two or three plays, really. That right there, personally, it hurts the pride. Some teams that can't stop the run, it's because they get out-physicaled. That's not the case with us; this is things we can correct."

Last season, the Redskins allowed only 3.1 yards per carry -- a half-yard better than anyone else in the NFL -- and the lowest in modern franchise history (since 1946). That provided the backbone for the league's third-ranked defense in 2004. The players and coaches believed that a missed assignment and poor tackling have undermined them recently.

The defense expected the plays Bell exploited Sunday, stopping them repeatedly in practice last week and even calling out the scheme on the field, but mistakes cost them. Defensive end Phillip Daniels was eye to eye with Bell when he took a pitch to the left, and, although lunging and missing, still did his job, which was to force Bell inside. But when he did so, no teammates reacted, allowing Bell to cut back to the sideline and score from 34 yards out.

"We saw that play all week and just didn't play it well in the game," Daniels said. "We had several guys that could have turned that play inside and it probably wouldn't have been a touchdown. A couple of guys played the wrong side of the blocks."

The defense anticipated the cutback play Bell took for 55 yards as well -- staking Denver to a 21-10 lead -- but was again vulnerable to the outside. Several players had a shot at Bell but missed, allowing him to sprint down the sideline. "If all 11 guys don't run to the ball like we mean it," Salave'a said, "whether it be from the east or west side of the field, then you're going to have those results when teams are stretching the ball to the sidelines and having success. That's not us, and that's got to hurt."

Kansas City will show no pity. The Chiefs are tied for fourth in rushing yards per game and tied for fourth with six rushing touchdowns, and Holmes and Johnson each has a run of 35 yards. Last season, Kansas City led the league with 31 rushing scores (seven more than anyone else). The club is rested from its bye week and has offensive lineman Willie Roaf back from injury.

"If we want to turn it around," Wynn said, "there's no other big way than to do it than against Kansas City up there where they love to run the ball. Offensively, this might be the best team we've faced thus far, even better than Seattle. It's going to be a big test."

Halfcan
10-11-2005, 10:53 AM
I say run them over repeatedly. Break out the Atlanta gameplan. 56-10 Chiefs.

chefsos
10-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Actually, I was looking to see where Ivan Carter was when I ran across this story. Ivan is evidently covering the Wizards. He does love his hoops.

SLAG
10-11-2005, 11:05 AM

why did we not play denver like we played atlanta?

SCChief
10-11-2005, 11:08 AM
why did we not play denver like we played atlanta?

Are you talking about last year's Denver game in KC? Or this year's Denver game in Denver?

If you are talking about last year, the way we played them worked fine.

If we are talking about this year... we were without Willie Roaf, and the left side of our O-line seems to be the main staple of our running game.

SLAG
10-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Are you talking about last year's Denver game in KC? Or this year's Denver game in Denver?

If you are talking about last year, the way we played them worked fine.

If we are talking about this year... we were without Willie Roaf, and the left side of our O-line seems to be the main staple of our running game.

This year In denver

We are a TEAM, ... we should be able to step up to duty when called

StcChief
10-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Run Priest and LJ down hill all day.

MichaelH
10-11-2005, 12:25 PM
I wonder if Al Saunders has the cement to seal the leaks? :rolleyes:

RINGLEADER
10-11-2005, 12:30 PM
As long as Al Saunders is the offensive coordinator the Redskins don't have to worry about stopping the Chiefs running attack...Good 'ol Al will do it for them.

GoSkins
10-11-2005, 12:30 PM
We allowed 2 uncharacteristic long runs and suddenly you fellas think you can run on us?

Here is something to consider. Without those 34 and 55 yard runs, Bell has 37 yards on 10 carries, and Anderson has 34 yards on 11 carries.

Our rushing D is still pretty good. This game dropped our rating somewhat, but we are still WAY better than Atlanta at stopping the run.

MichaelH
10-11-2005, 12:32 PM
We allowed 2 uncharacteristic long runs and suddenly you fellas think you can run on us?

Here is something to consider. Without those 34 and 55 yard runs, Bell has 37 yards on 10 carries, and Anderson has 34 yards on 11 carries.

Our rushing D is still pretty good. This game dropped our rating somewhat, but we are still WAY better than Atlanta at stopping the run.

And like RINGLEADER and myself said, Al Saunders has a way of fixing other teams problems. :)

E-Dog Night
10-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Well in deference to my fellow Skins fan GoSkins, it's not just the 2 long runs against Denver. It's also the two long drives against Seattle that have a few Redskins faithful worried, including yours truly.

I'm not sure what the problem is, although being 5th in the NFL in defense is a problem that 27 other teams would like to have.

Against Seattle, the problem was clearly a complete inability to get to the passer. Hasselbeck could have made dinner for twelve on a few plays without getting sacked. With the Chiefs offensive line, I don’t expect that to change.

Against Denver, we gave up two plays all day, and both plays were very similar - runs to the outside. On both occasions, someone was in position to make a play in the backfield, and whiffed on Bell, though the soaked field may have had something to do with it. But also, Holdman, who is playing the weak side LB spot that LaVar Arrington normally holds, was out of position in one case and in another just got beat by a block.

I would expect the Chiefs to run at Holdman until he proves he can do better.

Speaking of Arrington, I saw someone pose the question as to what’s really going on with him. I don’t think anyone but the coaching staff knows the answer to that question, but I do know that he won’t be playing much, if at all, this Sunday – and beyond. I just don’t think that Gregg Williams and Joe Gibbs are impressed with his practice habits and his attitude. They are trying very hard to instill a concept of team unity, of no one being above the team, and LaVar just doesn’t seem to fit into that.

Come to think of it, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see LaVar in a Chiefs uniform next year. He is still a playmaker regardless of how much playing time he sees, and from the looks of things (no offense) the Chiefs could use a playmaker or two on the defense.

Anyway, best of luck this Sunday. Let's hope for a good game with no injuries.

keg in kc
10-11-2005, 01:18 PM
We allowed 2 uncharacteristic long runs and suddenly you fellas think you can run on us?If by "we" you mean Jason La Canfora, Washington Post Staff Writer, then, yes, "we" do.

Dunit35
10-11-2005, 01:36 PM

Good Idea. ATL was supposed to be a great defense at that time also. I also say try to get Tony G involved also. Run the ball right at them on the left side!

Dunit35
10-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Well in deference to my fellow Skins fan GoSkins, it's not just the 2 long runs against Denver. It's also the two long drives against Seattle that have a few Redskins faithful worried, including yours truly.

I'm not sure what the problem is, although being 5th in the NFL in defense is a problem that 27 other teams would like to have.

Against Seattle, the problem was clearly a complete inability to get to the passer. Hasselbeck could have made dinner for twelve on a few plays without getting sacked. With the Chiefs offensive line, I don’t expect that to change.

Against Denver, we gave up two plays all day, and both plays were very similar - runs to the outside. On both occasions, someone was in position to make a play in the backfield, and whiffed on Bell, though the soaked field may have had something to do with it. But also, Holdman, who is playing the weak side LB spot that LaVar Arrington normally holds, was out of position in one case and in another just got beat by a block.

I would expect the Chiefs to run at Holdman until he proves he can do better.

Speaking of Arrington, I saw someone pose the question as to what’s really going on with him. I don’t think anyone but the coaching staff knows the answer to that question, but I do know that he won’t be playing much, if at all, this Sunday – and beyond. I just don’t think that Gregg Williams and Joe Gibbs are impressed with his practice habits and his attitude. They are trying very hard to instill a concept of team unity, of no one being above the team, and LaVar just doesn’t seem to fit into that.

Come to think of it, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see LaVar in a Chiefs uniform next year. He is still a playmaker regardless of how much playing time he sees, and from the looks of things (no offense) the Chiefs could use a playmaker or two on the defense.

Anyway, best of luck this Sunday. Let's hope for a good game with no injuries.

I posted the LaVar thing and if hes not a team player, he doesnt fit our team at all. His cap is too high and hes not worth it! It seems like he is just like T.O. but not as good as him.

Rausch
10-11-2005, 01:44 PM

Here is something to consider.

Yeah, um...really dove deep into the barrel of wit for that handle there, didn't ya'? Take long, Poe?

I mean, genius isn't often appreciated. A name like that really sets you apart. You could have just mailed it in and used something like (your name + player's number = handle) but you....wow....you really went the extra mile.

Good job. Yeah.....nice work...

beer bacon
10-11-2005, 01:46 PM
If by "we" you mean Jason La Canfora, Washington Post Staff Writer, then, yes, "we" do.

I was just about to post this. Does anyone know when the Planet bought out the Washington Post?

GoSkins
10-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Yeah, um...really dove deep into the barrel of wit for that handle there, didn't ya'? Take long, Poe?

I mean, genius isn't often appreciated. A name like that really sets you apart. You could have just mailed it in and used something like (your name + player's number = handle) but you....wow....you really went the extra mile.

Good job. Yeah.....nice work...
Judging by your reaction to my totally unwitty handle, I can see how you ended up with Rausch after weeks of solitary handle pondering.

HailRedskins357
10-11-2005, 05:56 PM

Your dillusional.

jspchief
10-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Your dillusional.His delusional?

Skins fans aren't very good at this.

SCChief
10-11-2005, 06:14 PM
His delusional?

Skins fans aren't very good at this.

No... it is his DILLUSIONAL.

Get it straight...

ROFL

SCChief
10-11-2005, 06:16 PM
Your dillusional.

By the way... when you refer to someone as being something, you say YOU'RE. If you break that down, it means YOU ARE.

YOUR is indicative of a possessive. By saying YOUR DILLUSIONAL (which means a state of being fooled by pickles, I guess), you are saying that DILLUSIONAL belongs to him, rather than being a state that he suffers from.

JBucc
10-11-2005, 06:18 PM
By the way... when you refer to someone as being something, you say YOU'RE. If you break that down, it means YOU ARE.

YOUR is indicative of a possessive. By saying YOUR DILLUSIONAL (which means a state of being fooled by pickles, I guess), you are saying that DILLUSIONAL belongs to him, rather than being a state that he suffers from.
your write