PDA

View Full Version : Vermeil's press conferences piss me off

ILChief
10-11-2005, 11:11 AM
he always starts off talking about how great the other team is. his lines like "hopefully we can compete with them" drive me nuts. He has no confidence and a defeatist attitude. You should respect your opponent but don't elevate every team and make it sound like you'll be lucky to have a chance. Then he'll follow it up with crappy stats that no one cares about (road teams -2 on turnovers are 10-25 or whatever). Then praises the other head coach to a sickening level. Then throw in the obligatory Dexter McCleon praise.

Rausch
10-11-2005, 11:25 AM
I can't say I understand the man...

stevieray
10-11-2005, 11:33 AM
maybe deep down he knows we aren't that good, and can't help but say it.

he does make the opposing team sound better. which I think sits in the back of the players minds, therefore giving them an out or excuse.

Amnorix
10-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Doesn't wash. Belichick could make the 49ers sound like the '85 Bears reborn, he talks the opponents up so high.

Amnorix
10-11-2005, 11:40 AM
Just as proof, here's BB's opening statement during last wednesday's PC:

"Well, we've had a chance to look at the Falcons here in the past couple of days extensively, of course we did quite a bit of that in the offseason as well. This is a very fast football team in more ways than one. They are a fast starting the team, which you can see on the scoreboard, the Minnesota game was a good example of that, way ahead early and just kind of coasting through the game. But, [they're] very fast on defense, very fast on offense, special teams, they have really good team speed. I think that shows up in a lot of things that they do in terms of the overall pressure they put on the quarterback defensively and their ability to make big plays offensively both in the running game and the passing game. They're excellent on their kick coverage, one of the best in the league and obviously have an outstanding return game with [Allen] Rossum and all of those other guys too. [This will be] a big challenge for us going down there this week to deal with the momentum that they have coming off of last week's big win and what they are as a football team in terms of their overall explosiveness and ability to really get on top of a team and then just dominate the game. We'll have to be able to try to withstand the initial assault there and make it a competitive game."

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=AudioNewsDetail&pid=13172&pcid=85

Chief Henry
10-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Every football coach talks up the other team.

Simplex3
10-11-2005, 12:16 PM
Talking up the other team isn't the part of DV that worries me, it's the "hopefully we can compete" crap.

Belichick says "this is where they're good, this is what we need to do to counter it". DV says "this is where they're good. Man they sure are good. Boy, hopefully they won't be that good against us."

DV is a huge pu**y and the entire team reflects that. He can't leave town fast enough.

The Bad Guy
10-11-2005, 12:24 PM
He always sounds like he has a defeated attitude in every PC. Every single one.

Just wait till he starts whining about the schedule like it's some conspiracy out on him.

His teams are just as soft as he is. We all got pissed for that Denver writer talking about how soft this team was 2 years ago, but he was right.

I'm just glad this is the last season with him. He's a great person, but I don't have any faith in him as a coach of this team.

How can a head coach bring in a new DC and tell him who has to work under him? It's maddening.

dsgreene285
10-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Talking up the other team isn't the part of DV that worries me, it's the "hopefully we can compete" crap.

Belichick says "this is where they're good, this is what we need to do to counter it". DV says "this is where they're good. Man they sure are good. Boy, hopefully they won't be that good against us."

DV is a huge pu**y and the entire team reflects that. He can't leave town fast enough.

I agree...at some point DV just needs to step up and take the gloves off. I've been a coach at the high school level and a player at the college level and sometimes players just need that kick in the rear.....and it needs to come from DV, not Gun.

I lived in Boston from 1998 to 2004 and I can tell you, he had no problem getting in the faces of people like Rodney Harrison and Willie McGinest. He also has no problem singling out players that need to play better in post-game news conferences.

jidar
10-11-2005, 12:34 PM
he always starts off talking about how great the other team is. his lines like "hopefully we can compete with them" drive me nuts. He has no confidence and a defeatist attitude. You should respect your opponent but don't elevate every team and make it sound like you'll be lucky to have a chance. Then he'll follow it up with crappy stats that no one cares about (road teams -2 on turnovers are 10-25 or whatever). Then praises the other head coach to a sickening level. Then throw in the obligatory Dexter McCleon praise.

Every coach in the NFL does that man.
Every. Single. Coach.
In fact, it seems like the better the coach is the more they do that.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-11-2005, 12:36 PM
before he got back into coaching & during the offseason, DV gets paid to give speeches. He might just know what he's doing. What the players hear, I imagine, is as different as night & day

bkkcoh
10-11-2005, 12:44 PM
before he got back into coaching & during the offseason, DV gets paid to give speeches. He might just know what he's doing. What the players hear, I imagine, is as different as night & day

I wouldn't think that he would want to give the upcoming team any BB material through the press. Not that it would truly make any difference, the press would love to take it and run. :banghead: :cuss:

MOhillbilly
10-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Bad signs = Cur in my book.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-11-2005, 12:47 PM
I know most here don't put much stock in to what Grunhard has to say. I caught his show today. He said DV has had Warfield in his office several times during his suspension. Telling him how much they need him as soon as he gets back & to get and stay in shape

siberian khatru
10-11-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm just tired of all the BS.

All I care about is the games. I watch the games, hope we win. But the between-games stuff ... it's just bullshit. I put no stock in anything they say or do, before or after. I'm sick of Eric Hicks "taking responsibility" for the defense playing better, sick of Gun acting like R. Lee Ermey storming the beach at Normandy, sick of DV's whining, excuse-making and coddling of inferior players.

Just win, dammit.

stevieray
10-11-2005, 01:27 PM

All I care about is the games. I watch the games, hope we win. But the between-games stuff ... it's just bullshit. I put no stock in anything they say or do, before or after. I'm sick of Eric Hicks "taking responsibility" for the defense playing better, sick of Gun acting like R. Lee Ermey storming the beach at Normandy, sick of DV's whining, excuse-making and coddling of inferior players.

Just win, dammit.

:clap:

Halfcan
10-11-2005, 01:29 PM
I am very tired of DV, can't wait for the retirement party. I hope he takes King Carl with him.

Extra Point
10-11-2005, 03:14 PM
Agree with posts 7 & 9. 'Nuf said

JBucc
10-11-2005, 03:31 PM
I don't care just win the damn game

Red Dawg
10-11-2005, 03:38 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. He does not instill toughness in his players and that is why we will not win in the playoffs if we make it that far.

philfree
10-11-2005, 03:46 PM
I get more sick of whiny azz fans who no matter what is said in these press conferences whine like a lap dog who's been left outside to long.

whine: INTRANSITIVE VERB: 1. To utter a plaintive, high-pitched, protracted sound, as in pain, fear, supplication, or complaint.
OTHER FORM: whiner, whiningly, whiny, whiney, whined, whining, whines

Who knows what's gonna happen the rest of this year but I'm sure most of the DV haters will be very pleased when we hire the next Butch Davis.

PhilFree:arrow:

kcjayhawks5
10-11-2005, 04:30 PM
he is only saying what we all feel. i cant help but think "are the chiefs actually going to play good defense and offense in one game?" until they do i will always doubt them but cheer for them. im not going to go around saying how good we are if we are not good. Quite honestly if we dont turn things around this week it is safe to say we will be lucky to win 5 games.

now ge mad at me

elvomito
10-11-2005, 04:32 PM
he's the king of bullshit. don't beleive a word he says to the media. mind games are part of the war. do you think he says this shit to the players? **** no.

keg in kc
10-11-2005, 04:40 PM
There's this amazing switch on TVs and radios. On/off.

kcirnamffoh
10-11-2005, 05:44 PM

Just win, dammit.

You just really majorly contradicted yourself there. You say "I put no stock in anything they say or do, before or after." It seems to me you should have just stopped right there and I would have stood up and :bravo: because I agree. Its all hype and promotional bullcrap and media manipulation and its what's done on the field that matters most. The rest of it is just big egos listening to themselves talk.

But then you go on about how tired you are of what Hicks and Gun and DV have to say. I thought you didn't care. :shrug:

Phobia
10-11-2005, 05:52 PM
I like the hugs part. The hugs are great.

Mr. Laz
10-11-2005, 06:28 PM
I get more sick of whiny azz fans who no matter what is said in these press conferences whine like a lap dog who's been left outside to long.

whine: INTRANSITIVE VERB: 1. To utter a plaintive, high-pitched, protracted sound, as in pain, fear, supplication, or complaint.

you mean like you do constantly about other fans?

jspchief
10-11-2005, 06:39 PM

Who knows what's gonna happen the rest of this year but I'm sure most of the DV haters will be very pleased when we hire the next Butch Davis.

PhilFree:arrow:You're so sick of the bitching that you had to open a thread who's title clearly indicates that it is going to contain bitching. :rolleyes:

philfree
10-12-2005, 02:00 AM
you mean like you do constantly about other fans?

I just do it because I don't like cry babies. I don't agree with everything DV or CP does but I don't cry like an infant about it. I tell you what, when you get your HC job of an NFL team and bring home the Lombardi I'll get down on all fours and kiss your ass. Till then you're just another bitter fan to me.

philfree
10-12-2005, 02:14 AM
You're so sick of the bitching that you had to open a thread who's title clearly indicates that it is going to contain bitching. :rolleyes:

I guess those people who whine about DVs press conferences shouldn't read, listen to or watch them either?

I read all the football threads because I'm a fan of the game but every now and then the ball bag mentality of various fans makes me want to puke. Just like LJ there's alot of fans who need to shed their diapers. Makes me ashamed sometimes.

philfree
10-12-2005, 03:15 AM

I just went and played this weeks press conference again and I read along too. There ain't a damn thing wrong with it. Gibbs' team is 3-1 and Gibbs is a Hall Of Fame Coach. He and his team deserve respect and as a good HC himself DV acknowledged them and where they stand. It's called "Professionalism". He didn't mention Dex until he was asked about Warfield and that situation either. Dex ain't perfect but he's not the reason we lost the last two games. As far as the stats go that he sites he shares those with other HCs like Bill Parcells for instance. As much as stats can be nitpicked the stats he sites are dead on. Just like last weeks game. We lost because we turned the ball over four times. If a team does that nothing else matters much.

This isn't the Redskins of the last 5 years and if anyone thinks it ain't gonna be tough then they have no clue.

ILChief
10-12-2005, 05:36 AM
i just once would like to hear him say something like "Washington is a good team, but I think when we play our game no one can beat us".

Before the Denver game all we heard was how he was 0-4 in Denver. Why even bring it up. He was already making excuses.

I want a coach with some confidence and swagger. Not "Gosh, this other team is great, if the stars align and we're +50 in turnovers we MAY be able to get within 4 touchdowns of them". And no, 4 turnovers aren't the main reason we lost vs. PHI. The fact that we left TO run around wide open is the main reason, turnovers be damned.

ChiefsFan1965
10-12-2005, 05:44 AM
I really like DV as our coach. I do get tired of the constant stat-quoting as I'd rather hear "here's where we need improvement and this is what we're going to do about it" instead of "you turn the ball over 4 times, you're gonna lose; teams that turn it over win on a 2% basis on the 2nd Sunday of the month, if the wind is 15 mph and the sun is in the west dating back to 1992, etc etc." LOL

I s'pose no coach is going to publicly say where their weak spots are. I wish I could hear him talk about why the team/coaches go soft in the 2nd half of games.......why this need to go conservative, etc....and how he's going to rectify it because it's not working. I'm sure he's talked about all that and the press conferences are lots of fluff. Overall I'll keep-the-faith, hope for the best and root for my team. I agree with the "just win damnit" too lol. :banghead: