PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best left tackle in the game?

Joe Seahawk
10-12-2005, 08:58 AM
I gotta go with big Walt..

Locked On Sports: For a real kick, watch Big Walt instead of ball

By DAVID LOCKE
SPECIAL TO THE POST-INTELLIGENCER

He dominates so dramatically it makes you giggle. He's like a puppeteer, pulling strings on the 300-pound men opposing him.

Watching Seahawks offensive tackle Walter Jones is watching pure, unadulterated supremacy. Every game, every snap, No. 71 toys with the man on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

The greatest compliment you can bestow on an athlete is that he changes the way you watch the game. Magic Johnson and Larry Bird made fans of all of us in the NBA. Ichiro brought us a new ballgame in the summer of 2001.

Jones has exposed me to a brand new game of football. Compared to watching Jones, watching the ball is so boring.

Spotlight Jones and you will be in awe. He will pull and drive a guy 15 yards down the field. He will flatten him on a crack-back block.

If he weren't on your side it would be unfair. Remember when your older brother would hold the cookie just out of your reach and make you reach and flail. That's how opposing linemen must feel.

Jones gets paid to do that every Sunday.

"No matter who Walt is playing, it really looks like he is a man playing with little kids," Seahawks fullback Mack Strong said. "It doesn't matter if a guy is a Pro Bowler. Walt just has superior strength, size and athletic ability. He is a freak of nature."

Take some time this Sunday night and watch Jones. If you have TiVo, make your own replays. It is astounding what Jones does to opponents.

Do it for one series and you will do it again to see if he can really dominate that much all the time. The answer is yes, he can.

Atlanta Falcons Pro Bowler Patrick Kerney was conquered so badly he left the game. On a play late in the fourth quarter, Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck scrambled back toward the end zone, and Kerney lunged slightly toward him. Jones, with one paw, swiped at Kerney, sending him into a backward somersault and out of the play.

Bert Berry of the Arizona Cardinals is second in the NFL with five sacks. In his past 15 games against anyone other than Jones, Berry has 19 sacks. Against the Hawks and Jones, he has been shut out.

Watch Jones on a run play: He takes the left defensive end and pushes him to the outside of the right defensive end. On a pass play, he knocks his opponent off the TV screen and out of the cameraman's frame.

For teammates, every Monday film session becomes, "What did Walt do this week?"

"We get to see it Mondays. It is weird watching a guy block another player -- a great player -- and knock him backwards," Strong said. "You see as the game goes along that the guys are trying to get as far away from Walt as they can."

Seahawks defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes has had to coach against Jones.

"Whoever lined up in front of him, he kicked the crap out of them. I am in the coaches' room with some of the guys who I coached with on other teams, and I said, 'You know, I am embarrassed for you.' If we could play this game over tomorrow, then he would be embarrassed again."

"One of the old coaches I used to work with said, 'When Walter goes up against the majority of the guys in league, it's like you put the guy in a paper bag and carry him around and hold him up for game day and whip his butt and put him back in there."

The offensive line is the hidden game inside all the highlights. For the Hawks, it is the reason their offense is ranked first in the NFL.

Every Sunday the Hawks enter the game with an overriding advantage on the left side of the offensive line.

Put your focus on the left side of the line and No. 71. Watching Jones is watching Tiger Woods hit a golf ball, Michael Jordan stroke a jump shot, Roger Clemens throw a fastball.

When Jones is done making people eat field turf, his career will end with him wearing a yellow jacket in Canton, Ohio. Make sure you take some time to watch the brilliance.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/244243_locke12.html

Hammock Parties
10-12-2005, 09:02 AM
No one can touch Roaf

JASON WHITLOCK

RIVER FALLS, Wis. — In the history of the Kansas City Chiefs, Willie Roaf might be the franchise’s most dominant player.

No disrespect to Bobby Bell, Buck Buchanan, Willie Lanier or Len Dawson, but when Roaf retires, he’ll be the lone Chief who can claim he was the greatest ever to play the position.

I’m excluding kickers, and therefore Jan Stenerud, from the debate. Also, Joe Montana wasn’t a dominant player when he rented a Chiefs uniform for two years, so he doesn’t count.

It’s my opinion that if a poll were taken of Hall of Fame voters, Lawrence Taylor (outside linebacker), Dick Butkus (middle linebacker) and Mean Joe Greene (defensive tackle) would be named the most dominant players at the positions manned by Bell, Lanier and Buchanan.

At left tackle, Cincinnati’s Anthony Muñoz would be tabbed.

But Kansas City’s very own William Layout Roaf is challenging Muñoz’s throne.

Roaf, in my opinion, is better than Muñoz. All Willie lacks is the hype. The nine seasons he spent toiling in New Orleans prevented him from getting hyped by John Madden and all the other TV talking heads. Willie has played and started in 179 regular-season games, but he’s only participated in three playoff contests. He’s played on bad teams and hasn’t spent a lot of time on “Monday Night Football” or the big Sunday afternoon games.

Willie is a legend among NFL players, and a relative mystery to NFL fans.

“He’s respected around the league,” former Chief Rich Baldinger told me at practice Wednesday afternoon. “The players know.”

What do the players know?

“You don’t stand a chance against Willie on the run,” said Chiefs tight end Jason Dunn.

Yes, Roaf, a 10-time Pro Bowler, is a gifted pass protector. He plays left tackle; you have to pass block at a high level to play that position for 11 years. What puts Roaf on the same level as Muñoz is that Roaf is a devastating, punishing run blocker.

“I knew when I played against Muñoz I was going to have to take a week off because I knew it was going to be a battle that week,” said Chiefs defensive-line coach Carl Hairston, who played defensive end against Muñoz. “He played the game very physical. Physical-wise (Muñoz and Roaf) are about the same. I think athletically Willie might have an edge on Muñoz.”

Despite his ugly gimp to the line of scrimmage, despite a belly that reveals every pot of gumbo Roaf ever ate, Big Willie is extremely light on his feet and runs like an overweight deer.

“Willie is probably the best pulling tackle in football,” Hairston said. “You never saw Muñoz pull much. No way. Matter of fact, I don’t think he could have.”

Roaf was selected to the NFL’s 1990s all-decade team. His play hasn’t slipped in the new millennium. The TV broadcasters fall in love with a new left tackle every two or three years. A few years ago Jacksonville’s Tony Boselli was the next Anthony Muñoz. In recent years, Baltimore’s Jonathan Ogden was the new guy.

Boselli, of course, flamed out. Enhanced by years of weightlifting, Boselli could never recover from injuries. Ogden is an excellent player, but everyone saw Indianapolis defensive end Dwight Freeney put a clown suit on a banged-up Ogden. Roaf swallows Freeney when the Chiefs play Indy and picks his teeth with the rest of Indy’s defenders. Boselli and Ogden, USC and UCLA alums, were hyped as future Hall of Famers when they entered the league. Roaf was a right tackle from little Louisiana Tech when the Saints plucked him in the first round of the 1993 draft.

Roaf didn’t want to talk about his legacy on Wednesday.

“Man, I’m still playing,” said Roaf, who is entering his fourth season as a Chief. “I’m just trying to get ready for this season. It’s an honor for people to even mention me with a guy like Muñoz.”

Muñoz played on two Cincinnati teams that advanced to the Super Bowl. He played on 11 straight Pro Bowl teams. If the Chiefs make a Super Bowl run, the TV broadcasters will start comparing Roaf to Muñoz, and they’ll be surprised to learn that Roaf just might be better.

“This guy is probably the most explosive big man to play this game,” said Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil. “Performance-wise I don’t think there’s a coach that’s ever coached against (Roaf) that doesn’t put him in that category (with Muñoz).

“He won’t need any help getting where he’s going.”

Vermeil was referring to the Hall of Fame.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2005, 09:03 AM
Until Walter Jones goes toe-to-toe with Freeney and shuts him down, I don't think he's better than Roaf.

We'll know on Dec. 24.

Bowser
10-12-2005, 09:08 AM
Until Walter Jones goes toe-to-toe with Freeney and shuts him down, I don't think he's better than Roaf.

We'll know on Dec. 24.

Beat me to it.

jspchief
10-12-2005, 09:08 AM
Why would anyone bring this question to a Chiefs board?

Sure-Oz
10-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Roaf is a badass.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2005, 09:13 AM
I will say this much. If Jones isn't the best, he's certainly No. 2.

JimNasium
10-12-2005, 09:14 AM
I hear that Willie's wife prefers wide receivers.

Dinny Bossa Nova
10-12-2005, 09:22 AM
I hear that Willie's wife prefers wide receivers.

That is so dry ice.

Check yer messages.

Dinny

CupidStunt
10-12-2005, 10:14 AM
1. Jones
2. Roaf
3. Pace
4. Ogden
5. Glenn

Seek
10-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Actually, I was highly unimpressed watching Walt play against the Chiefs. I couldn't understand all the hype around him.

I then watched him in a couple of games, and he got toasted pretty bad.

No comparision Willie Roaf is the best, followed by J. Ogden.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2005, 10:21 AM
I will chime in with my list of underrated left tackles:

1. Matt Light, Patriots
2. Flozell Adams, Cowboys
3. Chad Clifton, Green Bay
4. Tra Thomas, Philly
5. Roman Oben, San Diego

Seek
10-12-2005, 10:21 AM

We'll know on Dec. 24.

Not just shut Freeney down. But shut down in two games.

B_Ambuehl
10-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Jones isn't jack shit compared to Willie Roaf and I would say that even if Roaf was still with the Saints. He sure doesn't pull like Roaf and doesn't consistently pass block like him either. Remember what Carlos Hall did to him in the preseason game??

StcChief
10-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Jones isn't jack shit compared to Willie Roaf and I would say that even if Roaf was still with the Saints. He sure doesn't pull like Roaf and doesn't consistently pass block like him either. Remember what Carlos Hall did to him in the preseason game??

Roaf has been a premier LT in NFL long before he was Chief. Anchored the line in NO.

Jones may become a Roaf like player.

For now 'Road-grader' Willie Roaf will continue to run over the opposition. He is the best in the NFL.

Chief Faithful
10-12-2005, 11:02 AM
Watching ESPN in the Preseason Big Walt was hyped as the best left tackle in the game so I started watching him to see for myself. What jumped off the screen was how big and strong the guy was once he got his hands on you. What also jumped off the screen Walt often had trouble in open space getting his hands on the defender. My conclusion Walt is a big strong blocker that does not pull well and seemed surprisingly slow of foot given his hype as the best LT. In other words the guy seemed one diminensional although most dominate in that one dimension.

My conclusion is Big Walt is the most over-rated LT in the NFL. I would prefer Roaf, Pace, Adams, Samuels, Gallery, or Thomas.

Pitt Gorilla
10-12-2005, 11:44 AM
I've always respected Walter's ability. However, I caught a game early this year and he got driven into the backfield a couple of times that I noticed. I'm certainly not suggesting this is a common happening, but it did surprise me. Walt's guy blew up the play. It was weird.

Amnorix
10-12-2005, 02:09 PM
My conclusion is Big Walt is the most over-rated LT in the NFL. I would prefer Roaf, Pace, Adams, Samuels, Gallery, or Thomas.

Not to be difficult, but isn't Gallery a RT?

Seek
10-12-2005, 02:13 PM

Yes, He is a RT.

Chief Faithful
10-12-2005, 02:42 PM

Yes, he is a RT, but I like the way he plays.

Fish
10-12-2005, 02:53 PM
http://www.frontiernet.net/~joe14580/captain%20obvious.jpg

Says......

Roaf fool... Match Jones up against Roaf... I guarantee Jones will end up on his ass.......

KCChiefsMan
10-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Roaf is the best of the best

lets not even start counting consecutive probowl appearances

Dunit35
10-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Roaf is the best no ?'s asked. I'd be shocked if it took him a long time to get into the HOF.

milkman
10-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Yes, he is a RT, but I like the way he plays.

You mean you like the way he holds.

Without holding that guy would be abused by every LDE in the league.
Even Eric Hicks.