View Full Version : Article about Chiefs play-calling mistakes in Philly game

FloridaMan88
10-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Sorry if this is a re-post

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=joyner_kc&id=2187257

Play calling contributed to collapse
By KC Joyner
ESPN.com

When Kansas City blew a 24-6 first-half lead in Week 4 against Philadelphia, there was a huge outcry about the Chiefs' defensive breakdowns. While I agree that the Chiefs' defense made some terrible plays, after breaking the game down, I am convinced the Chiefs' offensive play calling was just as much to blame for the loss as their defensive errors. Let me walk you through the first half of this game to illustrate what I'm talking about.

The Chiefs were doing a great job running the ball on their first two drives. Here is a play chart detailing the running plays on the Chiefs' first drive:

Sorry, no premium content policy.

jspchief
10-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Anyone that wants Al Saunders for head coach needs this article tattooed on their face.

Luzap
10-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Some interesting points...

If this is true, it's good news for the Chiefs. These are things that can be easily corrected. Unlike some others, I do believe our coaching staff learns from it's mistakes and gets better as the season progresses.

Luz
thinking this sunday will tell the tale...

unlurking
10-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Somebody send this to DV.

donkhater
10-12-2005, 07:29 PM

If this is true, it's good news for the Chiefs. These are things that can be easily corrected. Unlike some others, I do believe our coaching staff learns from it's mistakes and gets better as the season progresses.

Luz
This is year five of the Dick Vermiel experience. If they don't know by now that their best games have come when they lean on Priest Holmes and their offensive line, they are the dumbest coaching staff in NFL history.

From the debacle in Seattle in year 2 to the Texan game last year, I'm not sure I've seen much evidence of learning. They got out of the tailspin of a season last year by leaning on that O-line in Baltimore, Atlanta and Indy. It was working vs TB and NO until they decided that Trent wasn't passing enough for them to retain their #1 offense status in the NFL. I mean, that's what's important isn't it? That's all Dick seems to spout about in his press conferences isn't it?

Quit getting cute and get the job done, AS and DV.

Extra Point
10-12-2005, 07:35 PM
The Parcells reference opened up the thinking that we could have won it without Roaf. Gotta choose "D: All of the above" on this one.

Dunit35
10-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Running the ball well dicates the flow of the game and keeps our D off of the field. They made a huge mistake not staying with Priest at all times Sunday! Like everyone has said they should get rid of the 2-1 rotation. I mean seriously I cant believe AS isnt smart enough to know that during a game. But then realizes after the game maybe its not working so well.

NaptownChief
10-12-2005, 07:56 PM
What is also not mentioned is that early on we were mixing it up very well with pass and run....Once we got a little bit of a lead we went into shut down with pass and went nearly all predictable run. I don't know the actual stats of run to pass but watching the game I said well before the bad stretch "they need to stick to a balanced attack or we will let them right back in it..." Green stopped passing and next thing you know we not only let them back in but lost the damn game.

wolfpack0735
10-12-2005, 08:04 PM
play calling was bad but come on, letting owens run free all over the field? and letting mcnabb stand up right? the defense was the one calling the wrong plays.

shaneo69
10-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Probably the best analysis of a Chiefs game that I've ever read. The KC Star should hire this guy and fire Whitlock yesterday.

If this guy analyzed our losses over the past 5 years, we'd probably get a much better idea of how inept Al Saunders is. What's funny is you see this going on at the game and feel the momentum changing, but then never see anything written about it afterwards, so you think you were just imagining it.

Rep to KCChiefsfan88 for paying for the ESPN Insider articles and posting them here.

Valiant
10-12-2005, 11:00 PM

Luz

How long you been watching the Chiefs since DV has been coaching??? learn from their mistakes... ROFL ROFL ROFL

HC_Chief
10-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Anyone that wants Al Saunders for head coach needs this article tattooed on their face.

hehehe

I was going to say "about time someone figured it out", but your take works ust as well.... actually, better. :D

picasso
10-12-2005, 11:54 PM
play calling was bad but come on, letting owens run free all over the field? and letting mcnabb stand up right? the defense was the one calling the wrong plays.

I disagree with ya wolfpack. Those boys were tired man. They were worn out. And when you play a zone defense like that because you have a lead that will happen to you without pressure up the middle.
I believe this article completely. Coach put in that damn parallel to the line of scrimmage pass package THAT I CAN'T STAND!!!!
Throwing the ball in areas that are totally stupid on a 3rd and 6. Like the LB's and DB's of the Eagles couldn't contain the edge on that STUPID package to the weak side even. So what if Hall made 30 yards on that package 2 times in his career. It doesn't work!!! :banghead:

Especially if you do it over and over.

And quit the damn shifting so much you aren't fooling anyone. 1st and 10 it's a run play to the side that Gonzo's on. Duh! And when Dunn is over there it's a sweep, and when Gonzo's in the slot it's a run of the center - guard as a draw or a playaction pass more than likely to Kennison on a hook route cause it sure hasn't been going to Gonzo!

Oh and when Dante comes in and plays the slot he is the first read. What is hard about that?

Wallcrawler
10-13-2005, 01:28 AM

On a day that was so humid and hot like that, the defense cannot be expected to constantly defend against an offense like the Philadelphia Eagles have all game long and be successful.

The drives the Eagles started in their own territory, around the 20/30 yard line, the Chiefs defense forced them off the field.

When Al Saunders bent over and shoved his head up his ass to enjoy the warmth, having our offense constantly going 3-4 plays and out and putting the defense back on the field without rest, that is when the fatigue set in. The defense can only do so much.

The offense HAS to be able to put up more than THREE F'ING PASSING YARDS in the third quarter if they insist on abandoning the running game that was working fine until they f'ed with the gameplan. Bottom line.

Al Saunders has to start utilizing his best players on offense, instead of ignoring them to try to make himself look smart by being able to score without using them. Holmes comes out on fire, and then the running plays stop. Tony Gonzalez was a non factor, not due to the defense, but due to the playcalling. Saunders had Gonzalez in on blocking schemes, instead of playing to his strengths and being our biggest receiving threat.

On 3rd down situations, Saunders didnt even call plays that took the receivers past the first down marker. He constantly called dump off crap that got the receiver tackled well short of the first down marker.

Saunders should NOT be the head coach of this team. He cant consistently run 1/3 of the team successfully, let alone be responsible for the entire team.

Send him back to St Louis. He will fit right in with them. They all like that cutesy bullshit there with 62 passes in a game. (Marc Bulger now holds the franchise record for passing attempts now....) They got their asses kicked up in between their ears by the Giants doing it, but boy they sure had fun calling all those passing plays.

Rausch
10-13-2005, 01:33 AM
On a day that was so humid and hot like that, the defense cannot be expected to constantly defend against an offense like the Philadelphia Eagles have all game long and be successful.

The drives the Eagles started in their own territory, around the 20/30 yard line, the Chiefs defense forced them off the field.

When Al Saunders bent over and shoved his head up his ass to enjoy the warmth, having our offense constantly going 3-4 plays and out and putting the defense back on the field without rest, that is when the fatigue set in. The defense can only do so much.

The offense HAS to be able to put up more than THREE F'ING PASSING YARDS in the third quarter if they insist on abandoning the running game that was working fine until they f'ed with the gameplan. Bottom line.

Bottom line?

People are sooOOOOO tired of Marty's up-Grunny's-arse-for-none-yards-offense that when we finally develop a dominating running game no one cares when we toss to Dante for a none-yards pass.

We finally have the O line and backs to justify a run oriented offense and we decide to pass like we've got TO and Moss.

You can't see it, but I just threw up a little...

skky man
10-13-2005, 02:48 AM
Well I think last year it to 4 or 5 games to get the offense going. I think mostly is the coaches think things should happen and try to force them. It's all about winning I don't give a shit if it's by air or ground. Just do what works and make a game of it. I hate to say it but our whitless is correct in the fact that our offense it affected by the coaches egos!

Andoverer
10-13-2005, 04:56 AM
I'm still hacked off about this game. It was totally winnable and totally in the bag until the playcalling went berserk. I could feel the momentum change from my living room before the half and somehow "knew" it was going to slip away from us. Having the best tight end in the business and getting zeeeero production from him because of the playcalling is mindboggling.

Gaz
10-13-2005, 05:51 AM
A very good article.

Thanks.

xoxo~
Gaz
Can find no fault with the analysis.

ExtremeChief
10-13-2005, 05:57 AM
Sure would be nice if some of the local media would take the time to do some analysis like this.

thanks for posting, nice read

donkhater
10-13-2005, 06:30 AM
Rep to KCChiefsfan88 for paying for the ESPN Insider articles and posting them here.
Yeah, that probably shouldn't be happening here. I think TJ and others got a little flack from ESPN for doing that.

Warrior5
10-13-2005, 06:47 AM

Luz

Great "glass half-full" post, Luz. I really think they'll break out against the Skins.

htismaqe
10-13-2005, 07:11 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

jspchief
10-13-2005, 07:44 AM
In the last few days I've read two articles that have pointed out things that are obvious to both sports writers and the average football fan. Articles that say we need to put the ball in the hands of our stars like Gonzo and Holmes. Articles that say we are getting away from what's working, before defenses force us to.

Why are our coaches incapable of seeing the things that are clear to the rest of the football world?

CupidStunt
10-13-2005, 02:31 PM

Him, Gun or some stiff that was fired elsewhere?

htismaqe
10-13-2005, 03:04 PM
Him, Gun or some stiff that was fired elsewhere?

Marvin Lewis wasn't fired elsewhere. Neither was John Fox, or Bill Parcells, or Lovie Smith, or John Gruden, or...

Well, I'm guessing you get my point.

htismaqe
10-13-2005, 03:05 PM
In the last few days I've read two articles that have pointed out things that are obvious to both sports writers and the average football fan. Articles that say we need to put the ball in the hands of our stars like Gonzo and Holmes. Articles that say we are getting away from what's working, before defenses force us to.

Why are our coaches incapable of seeing the things that are clear to the rest of the football world?

Arrogance.

BigRedChief
10-13-2005, 03:06 PM

Like Warfield is a better CB than McCleon.

Chieficus
10-13-2005, 03:23 PM

They're just not that good.

Through old loyalities I still like Gun. I usually just keep my mouth shut here on the topic--but I've never been big on :deevee:. He may have been a good coach back in Philly, but I'd call his Super Bowl win and our 13-3 season a fluke. Take those years away and his record with the Rams and Chiefs would get most coaches fired. I don't mind Saunders as an OC--if he has all his players (Roaf), and every thing is clicking. I don't think he has much of an ability to adjust, though... possibly an ego thing on his part...