PDA

View Full Version : UNICEF kills the Smurfs

tk13
10-13-2005, 12:37 AM
This is insane. Anyone seen the video to this, I caught a bit of it earlier today.

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20051011/capt.vm10110111431.belgium_smurfs_bombs_vm101.jpg?x=380&y=269&sig=DQ5EoSJ_B9OgJ4k7tcecQg--

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051011/ap_on_re_eu/bombed_smurfs_5

UNICEF Bombs Smurfs to Highlight Plight
By HELENA SPONGENBERG, Associated Press Writer
Tue Oct 11, 5:04 PM ET

BRUSSELS, Belgium - Smurfette is left for dead. Baby Smurf is left crying and orphaned as the Smurf's village is carpet bombed by warplanes — a horrific scene and imagery not normally associated with the lovable blue-skinned cartoon characters.

These are the scenes being shown as part of a new UNICEF ad-campaign on Belgian television.

"It's working. We are getting a lot of reactions and people are logging on to our Web site," UNICEF Belgium spokesman Philippe Henon said Tuesday.

The Belgian office of the U.N. children's fund said it has decided to use the creations of late Belgian artist Peyo to shock a complacent public into backing its fund-raising efforts for ex-child soldiers in Africa.

The 20-second video commercial clip now being shown on Belgian TV aims to show that war can happen in the most innocent of places, Henon said.

"We get reactions from all over the place," said Henon. "People are shocked and want to know the reasons behind this cartoon image."

The appeal is meant to raise money for UNICEF projects in Burundi, Congo and Sudan, Henon said. However, due to its graphic and disturbing scenes, this cartoon is not for everyone. The advertisement is aimed at an adult audience and is only shown after 9 p.m. to avoid upsetting young Smurfs fans.

The video is peacefully introduced by birds, butterflies and happy Smurfs playing and singing their theme song when suddenly out of the sky, bombs rain down onto their forest village, scattering Papa Smurf and the rest as their houses are set ablaze.

The bombs kill Smurfette leaving Baby Smurf orphaned and crying at the edge of a crater in the last scene of the video and finishing of with the text "don't let war destroy the children's world."

It calls on viewers to donate.

UNICEF traditionally uses real life images of playing and laughing children but decided to change it for something that would shock people, Henon said.

"We wanted to have lasting effect of our campaign, because we felt that in comparison to previous campaigns, the public is not easily motivated to do things for humanitarian causes and certainly not when it involved Africa or children in war," he said.

Henon added that UNICEF would never cross the line and film real-life war scenes in its appeals.

The UNICEF campaign was launched Friday with the Smurf TV spot and will last until April.

"We see so many images that we don't really react anymore," said Julie Lamoureux, account director at Publicis, an advertising agency that drew up the campaign for UNICEF Belgium. "In 35 seconds we wanted to show adults how awful war is by reaching them within their memories of childhood."

The Smurf ad will be followed by similar ad in November to promote UNICEF's "let children live in peace" campaign.

French children's program Martine and the children's song "Au Clair de la Lune" will be presented with changed lyrics.

Rausch
10-13-2005, 12:44 AM
Those ****ers had what was coming to 'em...

luv
10-13-2005, 12:47 AM
I hope Papa Smurf made it out alive.

Rausch
10-13-2005, 01:08 AM
I hope Papa Smurf made it out alive.

Nah'.

We took him out first. Nothing personal, chain of command.

You know...

luv
10-13-2005, 01:10 AM
Nah'.

We took him out first. Nothing personal, chain of command.

You know...
That's okay. I'm sure he has a hefty life insurace policy, and some bonds in my name.

Rausch
10-13-2005, 01:12 AM
That's okay. I'm sure he has a hefty life insurace policy, and some bonds in my name.

BTW, is Pappa going to any of the 37 events?

luv
10-13-2005, 01:17 AM
BTW, is Pappa going to any of the 37 events?
Only the game on Sunday. I'm sure Kathy will drag him to the tailgate y'all are having. I'm thinking about seeing if I can hitch a ride. I would love to have Kathy introduce me to some of you guys. I don't have a ticket to the game, but I could sit in the truck, read a book, listen to the game on the radio, and sober up to be their designated driver on the way home. I'm wanting to go by Sports Nutz too. Pretty cool little store.

Rausch
10-13-2005, 01:26 AM
I would love to have Kathy introduce me to some of you guys.

luv
10-13-2005, 01:31 AM
Okay, except maybe you. I don't think I'd want my room stolen Saturday night. :p

Rausch
10-13-2005, 01:34 AM
Okay, except maybe you. I don't think I'd want my room stolen Saturday night. :p

Tough $#it.

Get the **** off my recliner bidge!1! :cuss:

luv
10-13-2005, 01:40 AM
Tough $#it.

Get the **** off my recliner bidge!1! :cuss:
Oh, I'll let you have the recliner. I'll have a bed all to myself at a hotel across from the stadium. :p

ExtremeChief
10-13-2005, 05:27 AM
http://wiretap.area.com/Gopher/Library/Humor/Misc/smurfs.cc

Blue Smurf,
Red Smurf,
All we want is dead Smurf,
Kill Smurf,
Smash Smurf,
Break, Twist, and Maime Smurf.

Out comes a punk at dusk,
Killing Smurfs is a must,
Dead Smurfs feed his lust.

He hates Smurfs,
We hate Smurfs,
Kill Smurfs.

Take a Smurf,
Blow up it's head,
Smear around the blue stuff,
Cause its dead.
Point a gun,
Shoot its face,
Smurfs are a disgrace,
To thee human race.

Blue bodies,
Blue brains,
Smurfs drive me insane.
White pants,
Friends with ants,
Goody goody oh so lame,
Smurfs are gay all the same.

Papa Smurf,
Great Smurf War,
Slam a Smurf in your front door,
Live in the forrest,
Underneath a tree,
Kill a Smurf,
Then go free,
It isn't a crime,
To maime or blind,
Kut and Kill,
Little blue pill,
Kill, kill, kill.

Smurfs are blue,
Papa is red,
Who gives a shit,
Shoot them dead.

Smurfs are shit,
Shit is Smurf,
Smear there asses in the turf,
No Smurfs.

Anti Smurf,
Anti Blue,
Anti Papa,
Anti You,
Kill Smurfs,
Kill Papa,
Win the war,
No prisoners,
Kill Smurfs,
Everything that moves,
Shoot that which is blue.
Anti Smurf is good.

Oh no!
There back,
Prepare for a...
Neo Smurf attack!
Pro blue,
Little scum,
Squish one under your thumb.

Your all alone,
In your home,
You find a Smurf,
Break its bones.

Blender Time,
Blue Shake,
Kill it with a garden rake,
Anyway you can,
Rid this plane,
Little blue people drive you insane!

Global Domination,
Mass Frustration,
Nuclear bombs everywhere,
Little children without any hair.
Melting the hinges on your front door,
Aftershock of the Great Smurf War.

Take a Smurf,
Smash it's head,
Smash it,
Smash it,
Til it's dead.

Smurf Smurf,
Make me puke,
Smurf Smurf,
Use a nuke,
Smurf go away,
Smurfs are hella gay.

Splat a Smurf,
Melt and twist,
Smash it's tiny, mangled wrist.
Smurfs are dead,
Smurfs are insane,
Little blue bodies,
Little blue brains.

Smurf Smurf,
We want you dead,
Smurf dead Smurf chop off your head.

Bloody Smurf,
Cut Smurf,
All we want is dead smurf.

Take a Smurf,
Stab it with a knife,
Turn around kill Papa's wife,
Use a pipe,
Bludgean it to death,

Garcia Bronco
10-13-2005, 07:00 AM
Unicef has a horrible over-head...anyone who gives them money is a moron.

StcChief
10-13-2005, 07:07 AM
Agreed.

Keyword here is U.N. enough said.

tk13
10-13-2005, 01:37 PM
Plus they killed the freaking Smurfs!

Fish
10-13-2005, 01:42 PM
http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~nleclerc/smurfette.gif

I'll miss her.... she was HOT..........

onescrewleftuntwisted
10-13-2005, 01:45 PM
la la lalala.....de plane.......de plane boss.......oh me goat its unicef.....WE ARE ALL GANNA DIEE!

sedated
10-13-2005, 01:46 PM
BRUSSELS, Belgium - Smurfette is left for dead. Baby Smurf is left crying and orphaned as the Smurf's village is carpet bombed by warplanes — a horrific scene and imagery not normally associated with the lovable blue-skinned cartoon characters.

Those Smurfs got smurfed up their smurf.

Pitt Gorilla
10-13-2005, 01:48 PM
That pretty much owns.